News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2589031 times)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #680 on: April 27, 2013, 09:58:29 pm »
and removing the barrier of max 255 magic and speed, etc.
That would probably require you to expand those stats to 2 bytes, which is probably not as easy task as you'd have to move data around (assuming there is free space), as well as modifying routines that access those bytes. ASM definitely needed.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Manamiko

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 28, 2013, 02:38:29 am »
That would probably require you to expand those stats to 2 bytes, which is probably not as easy task as you'd have to move data around (assuming there is free space), as well as modifying routines that access those bytes. ASM definitely needed.

I agree, and I have no experience with it though I know of two others here who were at one point working on this game (over a year ago) and I was actually given permission by one of them to test a bypass on that 255 magic/speed stat barrier. He did something similar to what you described but overwrote data which made the testing a little bit of a nuisance *for his hard work, that is.* You had to use save states because saving the game registered your speed/magic at 0, and once you reached the town of Guntz for the 2nd rune in the game, after a couple tasks you automatically lose it back to 0 so you had to manually cheat and get your magic/speed values back in order to enjoy it and breaking the 255 barrier in late game. I know its been done, it just wasnt practically and fully completed. I sent a pm to the one concerning this but he hasnt been online here in over a month. I am just wondering if anyone has had an interest in this game, or what its capable of. A couple sources have told me that it was not actively taken interest in because data within the rom itself is , for lack of better term and my ignorance, skewered organization wise.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 28, 2013, 10:38:35 am »
 Finding empty  RAM  space is the most problematic there.  Updating the routines maybe a nuisance as well but it may not be the most complicated thing to do.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Manamiko

• View Profile
« Reply #683 on: April 28, 2013, 10:44:54 am »
I can understand, although it is beyond my scope. With the two different patches I've played through and the editions made, I didn't understand why utilities besides documents and bits of information were the only content released on hacking the game.

Edit: Unless for some reason those involved did not want others to have easy access to editing it, and/or were not up to publishing said software for any number of reasons. The most aware that I was made is the game data itself is a cluster to deal with, and now over a year later no updates of activity on it. Similar to the game Arcana, it would have been fun to adjust many elements and replay the game in a new light, but no activity has ever been undertaken for it.

Double Edit: I apologize if I don't sound constructive.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 10:53:02 am by Manamiko »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 28, 2013, 04:13:09 pm »
Convert the "Akumajou Dracula" ROM into VRC6 and import the "Akumajou Densetsu" sound engine.
Convert the VRC6 Famitracker soundtrack for CV1.
Add the save feature from the FDS version.
Add an intro story.
Change credits text into an ending text.
Add a proper credits roll after ending with the staff's real names and the Vampire Killer (MSX) ending song.

Do all that and you have a great improvement patch for CV1.

fellowroot

• View Profile
« Reply #685 on: May 02, 2013, 10:29:54 pm »
Yes, I am well aware that there currently exists a thread for rom hacking ideas, but I feel like making a just for me. Some of my ideas may really out there, but I don't care I'm posting rom hacking ideas that I would like to see one day or as projects to make myself. Here goes.

1. Space Station Silicon Valley. N64

I kind of like this game, but I think there are many aspects that could be better.

If I could hack my own version of this game it would be like so:

I would change the music to a more serious tone and have better graphic textures. I would give the two main characters, the space man and his robot a complete visual makeover so that it looks less cartoony. If I could I would redo the entire intro story and make it better and I would take all of the stupid fart jokes out of the game.

I would also get rid of all of the music speakers in the levels and just have the level music plays everywhere and I would turn the whole game into a more puzzle solving type game. All of the main levels would just be huge puzzles to solve using all of the various animals.

I would get rid of all of the TV's in which you go to an order to see what abilities your animals has and replace that with just a button combination.

And that would be the game!

But wait there is more. After playing this game a lot I have realized that there is a huge potential for like a 2 player versus mode. It would go like this. Each player selects an animal from a select screen which shows all of the different animals in the game and then the two of you get put into a level and try and destroy each other. If you have played this game then you know that there are some really interesting animals with really cool abilities such a dog with rockets and a polar bear which lays a big exploding poop (which would be replaced with a landmine graphic). The possibilities for battles using all of the various characters would just be loads of fun. And maybe have an option so that you get a total of 3 animals and when your first animal dies then while in game you get to select the next animal that you want to become so that if you just got owned by a certain type animal then you can pick a new animal which would be a good counter to that of your opponent.

2. Capcom Dream Match

Take all of the Capcom characters from the games; Darkstalkers, SF Alpha 3, SF 3rd Strike, Warzard, Capcom vs Marvel, Capcom vs SNK 2, ect and put them into one big game!

I think Capcom tried doing this in Capcom Jam, but that game sucked because they only had a small number of characters to choose from. Instead they should have done a full blown version with EVERY character in which they owned. I mean come on, those 2-D sprites are now getting replaced by newer and better graphics, so why not put all of their 2-D sprites in one last final game for the fans!?

Anyway it would be done by a ration system like in CvS1 with weaker characters being a lesser ratio than stronger ones. And you could pick groves based off of the original gameplay elements in the original games just a parrying for SF 3rd strike characters.

Anyway, this one really isn't a hack, but a dream game that I would like to see made.

3. This one is a hack for sure. Take Rock Howard from Capcom vs SNK 2 and make him a playable character in Capcom vs SNK1 for the Dreamcast.

4. Give Silver Surfer for the NES a lifebar hack.

5. Take a ton of old classic games and give them a graphics facelift just like how they did Super Street Fight 2 Turbo HD

6. Make the staff in Dr. Jeckle and Hyde an an actual weapon that kills the enemies in the game.

7. Make a bunch of 1 player games into 2  or even 4 player co-op games.

8. I also want to do a rom hack of SMB1 for the NES where Mario can now hold turtle shells and then either kick them upward just like in SMW.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:59:49 pm by fellowroot »

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: May 05, 2013, 09:15:41 am »
I wish there were more hacks for games that don't normally get hacks....

Like Spanky's Quest. The game itself is pretty easy, the gameplay and mechanics are solid and something about playing it is just really.... relaxing. But it's just so damn short. I think it would be great if someone did a hack to increase the number of levels so that the game lasts longer, maybe make some of the level structures a bit more roamy like an older Mario game instead of just being stuck in a room or a level where you can literally keep falling forever. Make it play out more like Little Nemo (another game where you have to find a certain number of keys to pass the door to the next level), have a big environment to traverse so that levels themselves aren't over with in a less than a minute. Maybe also add more balls other than just the existing Baseball, Soccerball, Volleyball and Basketball.... like maybe a football that would keep bouncing end over end along the floor until it hit an enemy or have a "Death Ball" that would be like a black orb covered in electricity that would act sort of like a cross between the sticky Volleyball and the fully leveled up "Dark Force" spell in Secret of Mana. And also put platforms in the boss fights instead of them always just being big empty rooms. --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROfx4qZZZEs
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 08:01:47 pm by WeebeeGeebee »

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 08, 2013, 11:06:12 am »
Convert the "Akumajou Dracula" ROM into VRC6 and import the "Akumajou Densetsu" sound engine.
Convert the VRC6 Famitracker soundtrack for CV1.
Add the save feature from the FDS version.
Add an intro story.
Change credits text into an ending text.
Add a proper credits roll after ending with the staff's real names and the Vampire Killer (MSX) ending song.

Do all that and you have a great improvement patch for CV1.

What could also work is for someone to modify Castlevania 4, level layout to match the Castlevania 1 level layout. The only problem would be somehow adding in SNES versions of some of the NES music. I thought of this since some people basically see Castlevania 4 as a remix of Castlevania 1.

Kakoute

« Reply #688 on: May 10, 2013, 08:28:20 am »
Hello !

I would like to post this hack idea for Secret of Mana and Seiken Desentsu 2.
When I play those games with friends, the ring menu always pause and it break the battle rhythm.
My idea is to remove the pause (and the background transparent color at the same time) when a player goes to his Ring menu.

I'm a developper but  I never went into ROMs hacking.

So I'm hasking you either if somebody know how to do it or either "Please can you do that AWERSOME ROM hack ?".

Thanks for all !

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: May 10, 2013, 10:53:22 am »
This sounds more appropriate for the Hack Ideas topic.

Kakoute

« Reply #690 on: May 10, 2013, 11:55:06 am »
OK sorry for the wrong topic...

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #691 on: May 17, 2013, 12:55:30 am »
Original Game: Frogger (pick a platform)
New title: The Adventures of YOLO: Frogger Edition
Changes made: One death and you're back to the title screen.

Why? Mostly for the pun.
Coincidentally, one group in my game design class actually made something based on this pun.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

gadesx

• View Profile
    • Gadesx scene
« Reply #692 on: May 18, 2013, 11:46:55 am »
Megaman 7 with a easy final boss

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: May 20, 2013, 12:39:48 am »
How about a hack of Chrono Trigger that basically turns it into one giant Doctor Who RPG.

Replace Chrono with Rory.
Replace Marle with Amy Pond.
Replace Magus with the Doc.
Replace the Robot with a Dalek.
Replace the Epoch with the Tardis.

May 20, 2013, 12:47:41 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I would also like to see a hack of Secret of Mana that does to SoM what Parallel Worlds did to Z:LTTP. Completely change the landscape to something unfamiliar, expand the story and world, making it a new game entirely (maybe after defeating the Mana Beast, Purim and Rhandi have kids and one of them takes up the Mana Sword in the face of a new crisis?).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 12:49:51 am by WeebeeGeebee »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: May 20, 2013, 09:14:43 am »
There's no complete editor for Secret of Mana (Though I think one was in the works and may still be.  But last I heard he's been kind of leaving it), so it'll be ages before that happens sadly.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #695 on: May 20, 2013, 10:12:02 am »
Not sure if it's ideal to ask here, but we edited a .dls file for Shikigami no Shiro in an attempt to change the voice files, and when I replaced the .WAVs with the dub voices, it killed the audio completely. Any suggestions? Could it be something crazy like the replacements having to be the exact same length as the original?

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: May 20, 2013, 10:49:48 am »
Replace Chrono with Rory.
Replace Marle with Amy Pond.
Replace Magus with the Doc.
Replace the Robot with a Dalek.
Replace the Epoch with the Tardis.

Nice idea but a little off, my line up of this would be more like this.   

Chrono = The Doctor
Marle = Rose
Lucca = Clara or Ace*
Robot = K9 (Daleks have always been evil they've also always had problems with stairs too)
Ayla = Amy Pond
Magus = The Master (still not happy with a bad guy on the team but would also be a good fit)

*Don't know if some of the older Who characters would work here, I started to watch this back when Peter Davidson was Dr Who.
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

Doubledragon

• View Profile
« Reply #697 on: May 22, 2013, 10:37:29 am »
I might try to attempt this, but then I heard someone already maybe working on making the original Nes Double Dragon a two player co op game, by just adding Jimmy and keeping everything else the same.  Is anyone doing this? 
Thanksp

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: May 22, 2013, 04:36:03 pm »
I don't think so. And it's probably not as simple as it sounds. You'd need to update the game to handle two players at once. Not just putting an extra sprite on the screen (which may or may not cause glitches due to having too many on the screen), but also having to update the AI, hit detection, etc. to handle two players.

At this point, I think this topic is better in the Hack Ideas thread.

Doubledragon

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: May 22, 2013, 09:49:55 pm »
I see.  Thanks for the insight and ill try the thread you suggested.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 09:12:18 pm by Doubledragon »