News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2528466 times)

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #660 on: April 20, 2013, 12:41:15 pm »
Hmm now that I think of it, Quick Man's boomerang does stay rather close by and if graphics are modified the right way, it could look like a weapon that swipes across. Look at the pattern of it:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MfMJ9KMD4yE

I do not know though if it could be modified as a sword, whip, or other type weapon.

With the right modifications to the graphic and the sprite data, that could work.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 20, 2013, 06:02:09 pm »
With the right modifications to the graphic and the sprite data, that could work.

I think a real unique weapon which could actually work is a bayonet:

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 21, 2013, 11:30:48 am »
Quick Boomerang kind of reminds me of Strider's sword.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 21, 2013, 11:57:51 am »

Funny you mention that cause Strider NES and Megaman are both made by Capcom, both have stage selects, both have a pause menu where you choose your weapons, and round energy pick ups (Strider has oval health capsules and Megaman has circular energy cells). I would think making a Strider hack out of a Megaman game could work out very well. The only thing would be that in Strider, your character can slide and sliding wasn't introduced until Megaman 3. So the complication would be either not using Quick Boomerang as the base for Strider's attack and using another weapon like Top Spin or somehow adding the sliding ability into Megaman 2 and then from there using Quick Boomerang.

However, I think something completely original for a Megaman 2 hack would be even cooler. Just an original character and concept. Lots I'm sure could be done with the idea to make Quick Boomerang the main weapon and to do heavy duty graphical changes.

Slime

• View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 21, 2013, 01:42:57 pm »
The art of Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival put into the arcade Super Street Fighter II Turbo would be awesome.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 21, 2013, 04:53:15 pm »
I can't believe no tried this project yet: replacing Luigi's, Peach's, Toad's, and Wario's voices in Mario Kart Super Circuit with their US MK64 voices. Even the "Congratulations!" voice should be replaced with the US MK64 version.

Here is a video comparing the voices of both versions of Mario Kart 64 to hear what I am talking about.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 21, 2013, 05:53:18 pm »
Having your recorded voice undistorted for Chatot's Chatter move.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 22, 2013, 02:45:54 am »
I was thinking, if it would be possible to turn mario bros into a super mario bros type game. Or maybe have doors you can enter for different areas of the game.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 22, 2013, 09:35:10 am »
I think overhauling Super Mario World into a Subcon Mario game could be kind of cool. Bringing in Shyguys, Wart etc. and some worlds of subcon along with some music changes but it would also be a lot to do. Not to mention in Super Mario World you can only choose between Mario and Luigi.

I've never played Luigi's Mansion but I'm sure Super Mario World could even be changed in that regard where you have to rescue Mario from King Boo and you can choose between Luigi and E. Gadd or something like that.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:50:50 am by johnny »

Turambar

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 22, 2013, 12:09:42 pm »
Somebody should hack Link's Awakening to remove the Owl nagging sequences, the annoying text that pops up whenever you touch a heavy object, and the text that pops up when you pick up an Acorn or Piece. I'm surprised this hasn't been done already. Maybe it has and I just don't know about it.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 22, 2013, 12:59:04 pm »
Somebody should hack Link's Awakening to remove the Owl nagging sequences, the annoying text that pops up whenever you touch a heavy object, and the text that pops up when you pick up an Acorn or Piece. I'm surprised this hasn't been done already. Maybe it has and I just don't know about it.
Better yet: Only appear when you touch a heavy object without having the Power Bracelet in your inventory or have the Acorn/Piece only pop up the message in the very first time you get them.

Turambar

• View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 22, 2013, 01:03:16 pm »
I'd actually rather have them not appear at all, since if you're downloading a hack that removes them you must already know what they are and don't want them to be in the game.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 22, 2013, 01:35:29 pm »
Better yet: Only appear when you touch a heavy object without having the Power Bracelet in your inventory or have the Acorn/Piece only pop up the message in the very first time you get them.
The first part is how it works in the game. After Level 2 (where the bracelet is from), the heavy object message will stop appearing even with the bracelet unequipped. The message for the object you break from dashing, however, will always appear even after Level 3 (where the boots are from). That bit should be corrected to correlate, or just removed altogether. The ice block message should be removed outright, you only get to see them in one level and their nature is obvious anyway.

In the original LA, you can skip most of the non-important dialogues with B without having to scroll through them after the first two lines (heavy object message is one of them). In DX, you only have this ability in the overworld map (see the library for a complete map and try the camera shop on it to see for yourself, or revisit an owl dialogue on it if you already made progress).

What I also dislike about DX is the fact that the Genie throws fireballs slower, in addition to giving an extra dialogue.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 04:28:41 pm by Jeville »

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #673 on: April 23, 2013, 09:23:06 pm »
What about taking a game and improving the sound engine in it? Such as using say the Namco 163 Sound Engine in a great NES/Famicom game like Wizards and Warriors. Of course in order to do that, I suppose one would have to dig up the Japanese Famicom ROM of it which is called Densetsu no Kishi Elrond, throw in another sound engine, and then translate it to English.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:30:18 pm by johnny »

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 24, 2013, 02:06:53 pm »
Update character portraits in the original FFIV to match the ones from FFIV Advance. Also, I think Cecil's Paladin battle sprites of his head should be changed because it doesn't look like him. Lose the tiara and adjust the hair style.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #675 on: April 24, 2013, 02:40:24 pm »
Question: Is it possible to hack a flash game?
Idea: If yes, then my idea is to hack Project Nite Festival (a Touhou clone inspired in Imperishable Night's story and characters and in Mountain of Faith's power and bomb system) to allow more screen sizes and to allow free resize at first, and then to translate it.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: April 24, 2013, 04:59:14 pm »

I also think many swords in NES games can resemble that sword.  If anyone actually wants to go on that idea I suppose I could try to help any way I could.

fellowroot

• View Profile
« Reply #677 on: April 26, 2013, 02:34:53 am »
I love rom hacking. So who is going to make all of these great ideas! We need to have a contest or something. Have a bunch of guys submit rom hacking ideas and the winning idea we all work on to make it a reality. What do you think!

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: April 26, 2013, 03:01:43 am »
I love rom hacking. So who is going to make all of these great ideas! We need to have a contest or something. Have a bunch of guys submit rom hacking ideas and the winning idea we all work on to make it a reality. What do you think!
Like making a poll about it?

Odd that there aren't any poll threads here...

Manamiko

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: April 27, 2013, 07:29:57 pm »
Is there anyone actively working on a 7th saga Editor, by chance? I know that there were a few rebalances made, and I enjoyed playing them. I would love to be able to edit char stats, enemy stats and resistances, as well as spell power and removing the barrier of max 255 magic and speed, etc.