News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1548839 times)

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #460 on: November 22, 2012, 06:09:54 am »
Without the skills and with the ideas ...
As I'm on a bit of a new ghostbusters 2 playing spree lately, the idea to remove the second player's a.i. and replace it with input from controller port 2 is one i'd love to see... and ridiculously out of my capability level.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #461 on: November 22, 2012, 11:16:29 am »
How about having Go Go Cosmo Cops enable Japanese via DS system language (as the game's usual 5 modes are)?
Data seems intact from a very brief look. I made this stub page about it with starter pics.
http://tcrf.net/Go!_Go!_Cosmo_Cops!

What happened was I had a hunch seeing the game's file structure. So I swapped *.lz files with their *.lz_en equivalent.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 11:26:09 am by tc »

Nagato

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 22, 2012, 01:01:23 pm »
How about having Go Go Cosmo Cops enable Japanese via DS system language (as the game's usual 5 modes are)?
Data seems intact from a very brief look. I made this stub page about it with starter pics.
http://tcrf.net/Go!_Go!_Cosmo_Cops!

What happened was I had a hunch seeing the game's file structure. So I swapped *.lz files with their *.lz_en equivalent.
Here's a beat patch (search the Utilities section or go to byuu's website if you don't know what beat is): http://www.sendspace.com/file/vni2m1

There's a function at 0x2016E60 in arm9.bin and 0x204E5D0 in child.srl (wireless code) that gets the system language and then stores it in the game memory for later reference. The function defaults to English for Japanese and any other languages outside of the range, so I just flipped the byte from 01 (English) to 00 (Japanese). Set your firmware to Japanese to play it in Japanese.

Here's also a less elegant solution but it'll force Japanese no matter what by nulling out the language suffixes: http://www.sendspace.com/file/kybl6h

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #463 on: November 22, 2012, 01:23:26 pm »
OMG that was quick. Thanks I suppose. :o

jka12002

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 25, 2012, 01:03:52 am »
There was a rare rom hack i saw on youtube a while back of SMB 3 and the sprites were replaced with the ones from SMB 1, it was called "Retro Mario Bros 3." Ive been having an idea of doing the same concept but with Super Mario All Stars. I did attempt to do it myself at one point but....i let this emu vid of the hack tell the story, it was horrible....

http://s60.beta.photobucket.com/user/jamesdude_2006/media/mario.mp4.html

(Vid is old so its kinda choppy)

gadesx

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: November 25, 2012, 08:16:55 pm »
Maybe can exist but there is any Metroid 2 hack for see it in colour like a
GBC game not using the simple 4 colours on the whole game?

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 26, 2012, 01:17:41 am »
You'd have to recode to the whole rom into gbc format, I would think. I don't know gb and gbc use the same asm lingo but it'd be badass if it could be done like that. I know I would be down to help out.

Megaman

• Gotta run, gotta run now...
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 26, 2012, 04:36:37 am »
Make roms anti-cheat if a cheat is noticed it will corrupt the rom  ;D
Gotta run, gotta run now.
Gotta climb, gotta climb now.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 26, 2012, 08:24:36 am »
Some Sonictastic ideas:
Sonic Advance:
* Make a "Sonic 2 Mode" option that activated/deactivates the Sonic & Tails mode (Address 03005050, Value 0 for Off and 1 for On, only works if Sonic is selected, regardless of value)
* Implement Super Sonic (Might be tough)
* Make it possible to start grind from any section of the rail

Sonic Advance 2:
* Create a "Sonic 2 Mode" and an option for it
* Implement Super Sonic
* Make Sonic's bounce attack (Jump then B on the air) start up faster.
* Make it possible to start grind from any section of the rail
* Improve the Homing Attack (With a "Lock On" and making it so it can lock on bosses too)

Sonic Advance 3:
* Implement Super Sonic (There are AR/GS codes for that at Super Cheats, but is very crude)
* Implement Eggman as playable
* Implement Gemerl as playable
* Make it so you can swap characters with L button (as it is completely unused)

Sonic Battle:
* Extend the Skill Point cap from 500 to 990 or 1000
* Implement Eggman as playable
* Implement Ultimate Emerl as playable (Normally, only some of his skills can be equiped, as it hits the 500 points cap easy)

Sonic 3 & Knuckles:
* Make an "original order" hack, where the order of zones changes to "Carnival Night -> Flying Battery -> Ice Cap" and "Mushroom Hill -> Marble Garden -> Sandopolis", with some cutscenes adjustments. (Like: In Mushroom Hill you should jump off the ledge)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 07:56:50 pm by Tsukiyomaru0 »

MegaManJuno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 26, 2012, 08:43:40 am »
Maybe can exist but there is any Metroid 2 hack for see it in colour like a
GBC game not using the simple 4 colours on the whole game?

On this very site, there are 2.

jka12002

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 26, 2012, 09:33:31 pm »
If i could find out how to do it id like to create a follow up hack to the Sonic 1&2 hack someone did last year where the first 2 games were combined. Ive always had an idea of having the first 2 with 3 and Knuckles added in as well, plus the beta Sonic 2 levels. It would be a long game but a fun one.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 29, 2012, 08:18:48 pm »
Here's a very special idea for a Sonic Advance 3 hack:
Codename: Sonic Advance 3: 2nd Chance
Type of Hack: Game Modification
Changes:
* Since the L Button is unused, the idea is to make it so it can have an use. In Single Player it should swap leader and partner, while in Multiplayer it should query one to be teleported to the other.
* Swap Tails' passive effects on Sonic with Cream's. (You know, Cream allows Sonic to use Homing Attack, Jump Dash, Bubble Shield and perhaps more. So, why Tails gives nearly nothing as useful?! For an unbreakable bond it is pretty breakable)
* Perhaps give Sonic the Boost Attack and a Boost Charge bar for when he is teamed with Tails or Knuckles, replacing his rather weak somersault. (Note: with Tails, it should last fairly and instantly put him in boost mode, while Knuckles should last long but not make him fast enough to boost)
* Maybe make it so dying in Multiplayer doesn't force the other player to go back to the start or checkpoint. So the dying player just respawns by the checkpoint while the other continues as if nothing happened.
* Maybe give a health bar for bosses...
* Make it so you can see who is targeted by homing attacks (including Cream's Cheese), and allow more things to be targeted. (Like Bosses' weak spots and, for Sonic only, things like springs and swings.

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 30, 2012, 11:14:32 am »
I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to be posting this, but seeing as how quite a while back I had posted a similar request (for the Dash button in the SNES version of Mega Man & Bass to be set to R instead of Double Tap or the stupid friggin' A button) and didn't get flamed for it (and someone was actually nice enough to fulfill that request), I figure I'm okay. Anyways, so I've been playing Castelvania: Harmony of Dissonance on the GBA, which for whatever ridiculous reason has L set up as a strictly Left Dash, and R set up as a strictly Right Dash. Now, my mind, having played games like LoZ: Minish Cap or Mega Man X (or the R button dash patch for Mega Man and Bass that some nice person made), or Castelvania: Circle of The Moon, is trained to treat R as the universal Dash button, but when Juste is facing Left and I press the R button, I just backpeddle... kind of annoying. And sure the developers probably "made it that way for a reason, like if you really needed to backpeddle away from an enemy" but turning -away- from the enemy and pressing R Dash is basically the same thing and far easier to remember and pull off under pressure.

So yeah, I am asking that some nice person out there in Romhackland create a patch to be applied to Harmony of Dissonance to make it so that pressing the R button will make you dash in whatever direction you're facing. I know the immediate response is going to be "do it yourself, you lazy git!" but I don't know how... : p

November 30, 2012, 11:47:56 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Yeah, sorry, yeah, it was pretty lame anyway. I was saying that a game in which
Mega Man can shoot up is not even Mega Man-esque any more, so anything goes.

I won't bother reading through to see if someone else said this but, yeaaaaah...
Bass / Forte in Mega Man and Bass / Rockman and Forte... Rapid shot up, down,
left right, diagonal, could dash (where Rock could only slide) and double jumped...
Also Treble / Gospel was so bad ass he made Rush look like K9 from Doctor Who.

"Give him a sword and shield"

MMX4 on PSX (much <3 for more meelee-ish Zero) and the Zero saga on GBA
(in MM Zero 2 he has that shield disc thing he can throw after charging it up).

People [like myself] love "cheap" characters...
Me at age 11: HOSHI--, THIS FOX THING FLIES
AND THIS OTHER GUY CLIMBS WALLS / GLIDES???
*never plays as Sonic again, if he can help it*
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:34:53 pm by WeebeeGeebee »

jka12002

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 30, 2012, 01:22:01 pm »
Does anyone know how the Mortal Kombat 2 Unlimited Hack was made? Id like to do an SNES version of it as a homage.

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 30, 2012, 08:19:07 pm »
Hmmmmm... somehow, I feel like putting my post -here- and not
in an outside thread actually reduced its chances of being seen.

jka12002

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 30, 2012, 11:08:11 pm »
What do you guys think of this concept?

"Castlevania Bloodlines : Simon Lives"

An expansion of Castlevania Bloodlines for Sega Genesis to include Simon Belmont ported over from Super Castlevania IV.

Im pretty sure fans were pissed about Simon's absence in this game so i think this would make a good hack.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 02, 2012, 04:05:25 am »
@Weebeegeebee you put it in the right place. But, if you are expecting someone to spend hours upon hours of time implement a dash function or whatever then you are sorely mistaken. You are much better off learning the craft and doing it yourself. What I would do if I were you is look at Maxim's control scheme, since he has the forward dash you want and copy that code and see if you can't replace Juste's backpeddle function with that.

MegaManJuno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 04, 2012, 01:13:02 pm »
For some reason Mega Man II for the GB just crossed my mind... Anyone ever thought of trying to hack the music in the game to drop it an octave? The compositions don't seem half bad, just a bit grating with how high pitched everything is. I found a few songs done in Famitracker on Youtube where the pitch was lowered, and they sounded much improved to my ears. :thumbsup:

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 04, 2012, 01:51:29 pm »
That sounds like a great idea. I like hacks which improve the original without altering the levels.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #479 on: December 04, 2012, 02:13:13 pm »
Edit: pointless.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 02:19:18 pm by tc »