News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1189248 times)

Validus

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #360 on: May 10, 2012, 10:57:45 pm »
is there a request board for hacking certain games?

A great example would be to put the original level up and enemy stats of the Japanese version of Exile 2 on TurboGrafx CD. The company got it right when they altered the stats for Exile 1 when they brought it stateside. They actually made the game a bit less easy but it was still a cakewalk.

For  Exile 2 on the other hand, they tried to mess with the experience points system OR the enemy XP (not sure) but it resulted in an end game catastrophe its now next to impossible to reach the full maxed level (which is required to beat the last badguy)! Even the designers realized their mistake when the game was put into production, they had no time to fix it since they were pressed for time for the games release.

This would be a godsend , just like the guy that reverted the 7th Saga to its original japanese stats and made an ENJOYABLE game!!!!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:04:45 pm by Validus »

TTbob

« Reply #361 on: May 16, 2012, 12:55:05 pm »
Some of the best hacks would be to take the story from online games that people won't ever play like Final Fantasy 11, Final Fantasy 14, Everquest, World of Warcraft, Diablo 3 and adding the story into an older RPG. I am sure many people would play these, I hate looking at my list of completed games and the gap between Final Fantasy 10 and 12.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 16, 2012, 02:07:15 pm »
That's actually a pretty good idea. I for one would love to get to experience the story lines of those games without having to worry about all the online fluff they come with.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 16, 2012, 02:35:36 pm »
Some of the best hacks would be to take the story from online games that people won't ever play like Final Fantasy 11, Final Fantasy 14, Everquest, World of Warcraft, Diablo 3 and adding the story into an older RPG. I am sure many people would play these, I hate looking at my list of completed games and the gap between Final Fantasy 10 and 12.

Chinese Famicom pirates already do that.
Maybe.
(such as "Everquest" that is a hack of a 12th-century Japan DQ clone called Satomi Hakkenden by SNK.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

creeperton

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 17, 2012, 02:37:37 pm »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:11:01 am by creeperton »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 17, 2012, 03:57:08 pm »
Castlevania 3 US with its japanese music. Possible?

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #366 on: May 17, 2012, 04:07:23 pm »
Castlevania 3 US with its japanese music. Possible?

Unfotunately, no. Akumajou Dracula uses the VRC6 special chip; which enables the use of extra sound channels, while Castlevania 3 uses mapper MMC5.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #367 on: May 18, 2012, 06:34:08 am »
How about making the menu option to enable button control in Magnetica (DS) available by default?

They had the gall to make alternate controls a long challenging unlockable! (quest mode AFAIK) Seriously... :P

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #368 on: May 18, 2012, 09:20:54 am »
Unfotunately, no. Akumajou Dracula uses the VRC6 special chip; which enables the use of extra sound channels, while Castlevania 3 uses mapper MMC5.

How about translating the Japanese version to English instead? Just pointing that out.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 18, 2012, 10:37:02 am »
Already been done.

Someone wants the gameplay changes?

Quote from: Wikipedia
Other changes differed in the gameplay or graphics. Instead of using a stabbing dagger, Grant throws daggers as his main attack. Some enemies do less damage in the Japanese version, and had their sprites changed for the Western releases. Some instances of nudity on the enemies were also censored. The Japanese version had slightly different backgrounds in many stages, and had special effects not seen in the North American and European releases, also due to the lack of the VRC6 chip.

The North American and PAL versions have several hidden features that can be accessed by entering a certain name for the player, which include starting the game with 10 lives (by entering the name, "HELP ME"), the option to start the game with any of the three spirit partners, and to access the second, more difficult quest. These features are not present in the Japanese version.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

fellowroot

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 23, 2012, 08:49:08 pm »
Two ideas/requests that I can think of off the top of my head.

1. A Lode Runner 3-D level editor for the Nintendo 64.

I love puzzle games and we all know when there is a level editor for a puzzle game the possibilities pretty much become endless. I personally don't know any programming languages but if someone could take a shot at making a level editor or at least see ifs its possible that would be amazing. I also don't that it would be all that hard considering that every world is just made up of a bunch a cubes.

2. Capcom vs SNK 2 character port over to Capcom vs SNK 1 on Dreamcast

This is a hack that must be made during my lifetime. I don't care even if I have to do it myself or actually commission this work out to another rom hacker but the idea is pretty basic and I don't see why it can't happen. In short, CvS1 for the DC is one of my all time favorite games, in my eyes its pretty much perfect. When CvS2 came out I did NOT like it at all but it does feather some new characters. The only characters I believe are worth anything are Rock and Haohmaru and maybe Athena or Hibiki or Yun too. I never liked the fact that Eagle, Maki, Rolento, Dan and Chang were incorporated into the game, plus I believe that the 2-D drawn character sprites look better in the backgrounds in CvS1 rather than the mismatched 3-D backgrounds in CvS2.

So the idea is to take a few selected characters from CvS2 and port them into CvS1. If only 1 character could be ported over it would have to be Rock. CvS1 needs to have Rock in it.

The hack would have to include all of character's animation frames, sounds and character selection artwork. Since all these exist in CvS2 I see no reason why it can't happen.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 24, 2012, 09:16:54 am »
You're forgetting that you need to program these characters in, program their moves, their stats... beck, you have to reprogram a lot of the game. Not to mention that there might not being any space for it.
Who will quote me next?

TTbob

« Reply #372 on: May 26, 2012, 03:52:11 pm »
Chinese Famicom pirates already do that.
Maybe.
(such as "Everquest" that is a hack of a 12th-century Japan DQ clone called Satomi Hakkenden by SNK.)

Thing is, I can't really read Chinese and there are no translation, not to mention I can't find anything other then the Everquest you mentioned.

Validus

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 30, 2012, 01:34:54 pm »
An automap hack for Phantasy Star 1 on Sega Master System would be wonderful. It would make needing graph paper next to you no more, bring it to 2012. Similar to how Shin Megami Tensei has an automap on the SNES. They knew you would need it.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 05, 2012, 01:35:40 am »
Maybe a "simple" Megaman X idea:
Redesign some aspects of the game to be more like the Maverick Hunter X, like the maps layout, walls ceiling and floors block certain types of projectiles and enemies, "beatable" Vile in Intro stage...

If nothing, at least a heavy bugfixer + the Horizontal Bars on Bottom hack. Cause horizontal bars on bottom rox.

Hamtaro126

• R.I.P. 2006-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: June 07, 2012, 09:39:02 am »
A Mapper hack, using proper bankswitching, for HEBEREKE (16k PRG based mapper compatibility)

I Tried, But when doing so, CORRUPTION, even when emulating proper 16k in FME7

I could not backtrace it either. Stops at the ''Start Game'' after Title, possibly around $014010 ($8000-$9FFF in my non-working hack)
(Ban is Repealed because of refusal to accept action. Making this major problem worse, So if no-one tempbans me, I WILL NOT COME BACK PERMANENTLY)

Erase this when you are ready to act like a MAN!!!

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 08, 2012, 05:40:55 pm »
There needs to be a hack of Blaster Master that makes exploration of the game more interesting and has a password/save feature. I know there is Pimp the Ride, which is great, but it would be cool if the player could collect keys in the dungeons (rather than just one dumb car key collected in level 4) and have them open locks in the overworld.

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 11, 2012, 05:31:39 pm »
A suggestion for Grandia Parrallel Tripper on the GBC:
when you fight the final boss
Spoiler:
and its palette swap the post game bonus boss,
the game check for flags during the battle.
Basically,
Spoiler:
when you destroy a arm, the game check how many arms are left.
If there is only one left, you get the standard boss battle music.
If there are none left, surprise, you get instead the original Grandia boss battle theme
which is neat. ^^
However, the game keep checking for that each time you destroy a arm
which result in the music always being reset and change/restart from the beginning.
It would be nice if there was a hack preventing the music from restarting/change
once that the Grandia battle theme start to play.

Also, absolutely needing the End of the World card for those battles?
Pfft, yeah, right. : P

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 13, 2012, 05:17:48 pm »
Well, playing Bionic Commando I noticed how annoying ANY neutral zone can get if you accidentally shoot. Perhaps someone could make a mod that disables neutral zones' alarm mode.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 13, 2012, 10:51:07 pm »
Well, playing Bionic Commando I noticed how annoying ANY neutral zone can get if you accidentally shoot. Perhaps someone could make a mod that disables neutral zones' alarm mode.

Wouldn't that... like, change the gameplay of that section? I only played the very beginning of Bionic Commando, mind you. Never far enough to really know what you're talking about, but from what you're saying, it feels like you're asking for an explicitly, purposeful gameplay element to be taken out, like removing monsters from all dungeons in an RPG.
Who will quote me next?