News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2457801 times)

Yoshistar95

• Hi :)
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #840 on: October 11, 2013, 03:34:49 pm »
I've mentioned before to get Gradius II NES have a higher difficulty, but this comes also in mind:

Bullet hell version of Gradius NES! :D

I've noticed that the rising difficult is very slow after a few loops, so a bullet hell version would make it even more exciting :)

Is it possible to add more bullets fired without damaging the ROM?
My channel

Maker of Super Mario Bros. The New Super Adventure. (SMB 1 level hack)

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #841 on: October 13, 2013, 01:07:15 am »
The more bullets you add the greater the chance of slow down and sprite tearing.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: October 13, 2013, 09:08:46 am »
The more bullets you add the greater the chance of slow down and sprite tearing.
Also the greater the chance of being hit by an invisibullet or that no more "actors" can be spawned (Something that happens in Bubbles in Tyrian 2000 GB)

But I have seen a Bullet Hell Lua script for Gradius, so it is better for someone to download that instead...?

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #843 on: October 13, 2013, 09:47:33 am »
How about a hack of the Famicom Macross game based on Robotech?
and the game's theme music should be this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrcqJ-IHU5Q

October 14, 2013, 12:37:14 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
How about a Mappy Land hack based on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fdq0ADp4Mg ?
(for the video - skip to 7:15 for the inspiration of this idea)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 12:39:11 am by CyberFox »

wildweasel

« Reply #844 on: October 15, 2013, 01:36:20 am »
So here's a weird one that probably nobody will want to do...

Take an SNES Final Fantasy game. Rip out the ATB system entirely, replacing it with a more traditional turn-based-only system, similar to the NES/FC games or a Shin Megami Tensei/Persona-esque Press Turn system.

This is probably going to take way too much work for no benefit whatsoever (for the majority of players). But dang it, it'd be cool. =P

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: October 15, 2013, 07:09:04 am »
So here's a weird one that probably nobody will want to do...

Take an SNES Final Fantasy game. Rip out the ATB system entirely, replacing it with a more traditional turn-based-only system, similar to the NES/FC games or a Shin Megami Tensei/Persona-esque Press Turn system.

This is probably going to take way too much work for no benefit whatsoever (for the majority of players). But dang it, it'd be cool. =P
... I'd play it. But it would work better on FF2US/FF4JP, due to the developers forgetting to add a visible ATB bar.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: October 15, 2013, 01:36:36 pm »
That.. actually would be interesting.  I've never seen any kind of SNES mod that replaces a battle engine.  I'd love to see Final Fantasy having an updated battle system on the SNES.  It would be incredibly interesting to see what could be done.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #847 on: October 19, 2013, 04:21:02 pm »
I'd love to see a sophisticated hack of Maniac Mansion (NES). New story, new kids, possibly edited CD Player soundtrack, disabling the easy alternative 0000 passcode for the lab door, edited length of power outage, etc.. Maybe overhaul the mansion into a castle for a medieval theme?

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #848 on: October 19, 2013, 09:36:50 pm »
I would like to see a overhaul hack of either Superman for the Genesis or the SNES version of "The Death and Return of Superman" based in the universe of "The Adventures of the American Rabbit" (Yes, There's a cult following for it)

The game should have better controls and the plot must take place years after the Fred Wolf-directed film where we see the American Rabbit fight his biggest foe to date only to be frozen to modern times (hint: 2013) only to wake up to a bigger foe... a Corrupt Gov't in the country he's suppose to protect and become labeled as a rebel by the tyrannical president of the US who wants the country to go into dire poverty and fall like Rome for his own gain... it up to the American Rabbit to stop the tyranny and regain peace, hope and justice to America and the world

The American Rabbit and Rob Rabbit will have a retool similar to this: http://thweatted.deviantart.com/art/Mild-Mannered-Pianist-by-Day-166673266
although starts with the design we know and love before he gets pummeled by the regime he awoke to and then become a android in design similar to the link in question
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 09:45:19 pm by CyberFox »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: October 19, 2013, 09:41:53 pm »
only to wake up to a bigger foe... a Corrupt Gov't in the country he's suppose to protect and become labeled as a rebel by the tyrannical president of the US who want the country to go into dire poverty and fall like Rome for his own gain... it up to the American Rabbit to stop the tyranny and regain peace, hope and justice to America and the world

I dunno. Seems a bit political/anti-Obama for most peoples' tastes.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #850 on: October 19, 2013, 09:46:29 pm »
I dunno. Seems a bit political/anti-Obama for most peoples' tastes.

It would appeal to those whom like overthrow evil regimes in video games [hint: modern gamers]

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: October 20, 2013, 10:13:44 am »
How about a Mappy Land hack based on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fdq0ADp4Mg ?
(for the video - skip to 7:15 for the inspiration of this idea)
Mary, Mungo and Midge was before my time and unlike a lot of 70's stuff never really repeated (unlike the utterly charming Bagpuss).  The only obscure British cartoon thing that I think would be excellent, would be a mario hack with the art style from Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings.
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

Bubblun

« Reply #852 on: October 20, 2013, 10:53:06 am »
Hi  everyone.  :)
I was wondering, is there an utility to use with Bubble symphony or Bubble Memoris roms to recover the bonus counters for the items?
Maybe something like that?
http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Bubble_Bobble:RAM_map
Regards

Bubblun

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #853 on: October 23, 2013, 09:15:09 pm »
Mary, Mungo and Midge was before my time and unlike a lot of 70's stuff never really repeated (unlike the utterly charming Bagpuss).  The only obscure British cartoon thing that I think would be excellent, would be a mario hack with the art style from Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings.

Mary, Mungo and Midge would be suited for a Mappy Land hack just from the episode i used as reference alone

SiFi

• View Profile
« Reply #854 on: October 24, 2013, 05:01:47 pm »
To be more specific, I'd like someone to hack Dawn of Sorrow so you don't have to enter the demon seals every time you beat a boss. Because seriously, frig those things.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #855 on: October 24, 2013, 07:54:16 pm »
DS debugging emulators/hacker grade emulators are not quite as well developed as some of the NES, SNES and GBA ones but you can get most things done. Certainly people have been hacking the binaries in DS ROMs for years, you may even be able to apply it as a cheat if you are lucky.

The main potential issue would be whether there is a general detection for the seals which would then trouble you at some other point in time or (the far nicer thing) is if it is just/boils down to an if else type arrangement for that specific seal that will not trouble the game at any other point (does the game have any point where you are given a blank canvas to draw whatever magic rune you like?).

I can launch into DS binary hacking if you like, though a copy of ndsdis2, crystaltile2, an assembler and a copy of desmume, iDeaS and no$gba debug are the tools and rough usage for everything has been covered in a few places is what most of that would amount to.

SiFi

• View Profile
« Reply #856 on: October 25, 2013, 07:16:07 am »
Well, when playing as Julius Belmont, the seals are done for you, so I think it may be possible to copy whatever makes it like that to the main game.

Wow I really need to learn the terminology for this kind of thing.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #857 on: October 25, 2013, 08:25:36 am »
I probably should have worded that better.

Then seals in the game could take one of two options

1) You are given a blank canvas which the game will try to interpret however you will. Pac pix is probably a good example of this sort of thing.

2) You are basically doing a puzzle. The game gives you a set of tracks to try to draw the seal in. It will probably also account for speed, how well you draw within the lines and other more fuzzy things. This fuzzy stuff can take quite a bit of code to do well (it is a slightly lesser version of interpreting handwriting) however you probably do not need to fiddle with that.

2) is better for some aspects of the hacking as you have a simple failure state you can latch onto (or more accurately tell the game to ignore*) rather than something it will try to interpret as a seal. If it automatically does it for you in Julius Belmont mode then it speaks to good things.

Both of these will probably involve if not extensive hacking the binary then at least some time looking at the game code.

You may have the alternative of changing the puzzles into a "can't really fail" type thing (a single straight line or something) but I am not sure that will be more conventional graphics/level editing type techniques.

However at some point in the game you could be given a blank canvas or a multiple option seal.

*I imagine they coded it so the could see if this line works, if this line works.... then go to the defeat the boss animation otherwise ("else" in C language parlance) give the boss some more health and repeat the last stage of the battle or whatever it does. There are some more elegant methods like skipping the sealing part altogether (which depending upon the debugging setup may be slightly easier to get to -- if it works by triggering it at zero health in the boss you have something easy you can point your debugger at) and if you wanted you could probably alter the game text/story to have it fit a bit better (change the text to you have to seal the boss with your custom doodle) but you can save that for a slightly more custom hack I figure.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #858 on: October 25, 2013, 12:27:45 pm »
How about making an undub version of Onimusha 2? Or simply making a text conversion patch (English text replacing Japanese text)? I'd love to see Jubei Yagyu speaking Japanese while reading the English subtitles. :)

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #859 on: October 25, 2013, 12:49:58 pm »
When it comes to undubs on filesystem using games the first port of call is just to try it. Get the donor game's sound, the game you want the sound changed in and then swap files accordingly (renaming if you have to).

If that fails (and it can) then report back and someone might be more inclined to take a look; a basic is so much bandwidth and a few seconds of boring work, figuring out a problem is a different matter entirely.

For want of a better term backporting a translation is usually reserved for when the localisation breaks the game or the original has more functionality, it can and has been used when a game's sound is radically different (games dropping voice acting are a popular one here) but it is considered an extreme measure.