Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.

Started by Piotyr, March 23, 2007, 10:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hidralisco

We desperately need an updated translation patch and rebalancing for Tactics Ogre (SNES). Ever since the AeonGenesis translation patch was released, the new translation from the PSP remake has been available. The SNES patch simply ported the deeply flawed PSX port version translation which pales in comparison to the one of the remake.

Added to this it would also be nice to have several QOL features, such as sped up AI movement, increased stat card drops, and an overall class rebalance to make some classes like the archers less overpowered. There's a romhack that supposedly already addresses most of these called Chronicle Valeria 2, but it is sadly only available in Japanese and it is incompatible with the AeonGenesis translation patch. Maybe instead some of its gameplay changes could be ported retroactively instead.

Kallisto

Put in Ganondorf Suavemente mod for OOT.

Do it.

For the Memes.

Pancake Breakfast

A Zelda II hack that turns the game into a linear action game by removing the RPG elements and the need for map exploration.

blueskirt

Dumbass idea: A romhack of Shadowrun on the SNES but it's a demake of Deus Ex. ;D

Last time I played Shadowrun, it was 4am, I was sleepy, and the moment I hopped onboard the chopper to fly to Drake's volcano, I couldn't resist voicing all the dumb Deus Ex memes in my head:

"JC! It's a bomb! -A bomb."
"What a shame. He was a good man. What a rotten way to die."
"Old men, running the world."
"No, I vanted orange, it gave me lemon lime."

And then I began to notice all the dumb similarities between both games, like the same means of transportation, or Jake's portraits with and without glasses that could be used for both JC and Paul.

SCD

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Hyperstone Heist (Genesis)

A hack that will give these two Foot Soldier variants their correct palettes:

Shield - The Pink Palettes
Fireball - The Unused Green Palettes

Including restore the unused trapdoor frames back to Baxter Stockman's hovering machine as well:

TakuikaNinja

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Taito, NES)
The correct tile sequence in "Find the Grail" uses J instead of I (the movie makes a big deal about the Latin spelling).
The game uses CHR-RAM and the nametable data is written to the stack before getting sent to PPUDATA.
My suggestion is to swap J & I within the nametable data to make the sequence correct. (I understand this is very nit-picky)

Retrolife

A good hack would be for Mega Man on Game Gear but all the bosses,items,ect are from Mega Man 2

PolishedTurd

Quote from: Pancake Breakfast on June 14, 2022, 07:39:25 AM
A Zelda II hack that turns the game into a linear action game by removing the RPG elements and the need for map exploration.

I would love this as well! The platforming physics and combat in this game are very good. Even a progressive series of combat rooms would be a fun hack.

Arcade-Elite

Any way to combine the NES 1942 music hack to the new levels of 1942 cold Winter?

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/708/

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5289/

pelador

Breath of Fire 3 needs a better randomiser. The current one doesn't shuffle enemy locations, it simply alters existing stats often making the game impossible. It shouldn't be too difficult for someone to tamper with the existing code of the randomiser to do this right? Also dammit where's our rando fir the first game already? The sequel has one but the first game doesn't. Come on rando makers.

Tsukiyomaru0

Idea for "Road Trip: Shifting Gears" for the GBA:
Tweak ALL collisions and hitboxes. This game and its predecessor doesn't have very nice collisions are punishment, but this one has it specially bad because:
- In one of the challenges in Road Trip mode, you have to get 8 coins and then go for the goal. The problem is that the coin's hitbox is deceptively small, making that challenge type much harder than it should be.
- The cars have deceptively larger collision boxes one-to-another, but not when it comes to level obstacles and walls, which leads to:
- Regardless of who collides to who, the player is guaranteed to be punished by losing speed. Couple that with hard-to-make turns that the AI can do flawlessly, and the player is at severe disadvantage without a lot of grind and tackling random events to unlock parts.

Brutapode89

By the way, as Project-Nested is available, do you think we could turn 8-bit graphics of playable NES games on SNES to 16-bit graphics for the same console?

An example with Link in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link ;)

By turning it...

to...

MysticLord

I just realized that Bowser - who kidnaps princesses to woo them - is technically a sex offender. I think it would be funny to work this into a hack, but I'm not sure where to go with it. Maybe something on the origin of the koopalings?

RJ Badman

As someone who's never hacked anything in their life:

How easy would it be to implement a "press up to drop" control into the PSone version of Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo?

It's by far the most fully-featured version of the game and also one I'd love to have on my handheld for on-the-go, but unlike the HD and even GBA versions, you can't press up to instantly make a block hit the bottom of the screen. I rely on this a lot, so can't play it!

THanks in advance :)

FAST6191

Quote from: RJ Badman on June 22, 2022, 04:40:15 AM
As someone who's never hacked anything in their life:

How easy would it be to implement a "press up to drop" control into the PSone version of Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo?

It's by far the most fully-featured version of the game and also one I'd love to have on my handheld for on-the-go, but unlike the HD and even GBA versions, you can't press up to instantly make a block hit the bottom of the screen. I rely on this a lot, so can't play it!

THanks in advance :)

Are we sure it is not a feature in the game but bound to double press down or something? Or available in another region. I imagine you have done due diligence if you already are comparing versions but I do have to ask -- redirecting buttons to existing functionality is usually a lot easier.

Two main approaches.

1) Do it properly. Not a beginner hack but if it is something to keep you learning then could be one of those. Anyway so once you learned some assembly and how to use a debugger with breakpoints you will want to find the on screen location part of the "blocks". While probably nothing to do with the thing you care about in and of themselves they will happen as a result of said internal state. Chuck in an activator to make it appear at the lowest viable place (not necessarily the bottom of the screen, if the game has a ghost piece option then maybe look into that and have it assume the same place), possibly also do something to the score if that is a thing in this game.

2) Cowboy method. Find where the game keeps the "gravity" value and make a button activator cheat bound to up to set the gravity so ridiculous that it drops instantly. Hopefully not bothering the CPU/second player at the time but it is a risk. Might also be a cheat mode if the insta drop mode in other games insta locks things but normal drop allows a spin or two (maybe even whatever this game's equivalent of wall kick and t spin).
This will be easier to find, though finding such a value is not as straight forward as infinite potions/mana/gold/time/... that forms the basis of most cheat searching ( https://doc.kodewerx.org/hacking_psx.html https://web.archive.org/web/20080309104350/http://etk.scener.org/?op=tutorial http://problemkaputt.de/psx-spx.htm#cheatdevices ). You will want to change gravity; hopefully there is a difficulty mode you can easily set, otherwise you are going to have to play and search every time it speeds up a la standard unknown value searches. From there the links above will tell you where the button states are in RAM and thus how to make a button activator cheat as you might have a bit of fiddling there by the looks of things (though easy enough to brute force your way through).

Arcade-Elite

So since this is the year of TMNT having a comeback, how about coloring all 3 gameboy tmnt games? To make them gbc games? I hope it can be done it would be perfect for fan's and there tmnt collection.

SMB64

Hack Idea: Sonic Advance trilogy, but the characters follow  you, and you can swap between them, as well as new ai for Sonic Advance 1&3  ;D

LaudinoInfamous

Hello (Oi)
Here some improvement ideas for The King of Fighters 2002 (for the ROM): (Who wants to know more or is in doubt, my email: laudinoinfamous@gmail.com, I'm Brazilian)

•The name will be The King Of Fighters 02' New Remix (zipped name: kof02nr)

•That has at least 19 additional fighters from KOF02UM  (4 new fighters: Rock Howard from Garou, Gato from KOF03,Duck King from KOFXI and Eiji Kisaragi from KOF98UM, if it's possible)

•Idea for new Sprites:

-Energy bar (The properties that are the same of SvC)

-Power Bar (Can go for Lvl.0 to Lvl.5,increasing a little faster, for any hit)

•New In-Game Properties:

-Just Defended from GAROU

-Wall Bounce ( Critical wire from KOF98AE)

-The Character goes slightly forward when activate the Max Mode (B+C), easy to combos (NO MORE DASHING AFTER ACTIVATE THE MAX MODE)

-Super Cancel and Dream Cancel

•Mid-Bosses and Bosses:

1- Kula is now Zero
2- K9999 is now C.Zero
3- Angel is now Krizalid

4- Goenitz and Geese will be bosses, but they will have conditions

• Change the stages to KOF 99,00 and 01 stages

•More Balanced

•New moves and Supers and HSDM's

This  is the only idea for the new KOF's Hack ROM, and are missing this and i hope someone listen me.

The Move list with new moves and properties:

it's almost there

Tyler621