Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.

Started by Piotyr, March 23, 2007, 10:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

julayla

Considering there's now Roll-chan hacks of the Mega Man games, I hope to one day see hacks of the SNES/Genesis & Arcade Mega Man games to have Roll playable (and if possible, the original Mega Man X trilogy to have Iris playable). Though I can imagine getting working Roll sprites for the 16 bit era to probably be a bit difficult.

Antonio Nero

Quote from: goldenband on March 12, 2022, 09:38:45 AM
Interesting idea. The original game has a RAM disk function that lets you save anytime (you only need the password when you're turning the game off), so implementing this could be a matter of redirecting all those saves/loads to write and read from SRAM instead of RAM.
Thank you. Than I add a request of a bugfix for the six button controller issue. In a few words, enter in the inn's menu for buying items or in the stone circle menu to be teleported, the cursor becomes uncontrollable. I have got the same issue emulating the game on KEGA Fusion (but not on Mednafen; not tested on other emulators).

It could be useful for some emulators or even to play the game in a real Genesis/Mega Drive (if is possible).

Retrolife

A funny rom hack would be Garfield in Legend of Zelda and he has to rescue his sweetheart from the Evil Jon(Final Boss)
also anything related to Garfield should be in this hack,Foods,friends,enemies,ect

RHZ

Holy Diver (Japan) for the NES is a pretty interesting game that plays like a classic NES Castlevania with spells but it's too difficult, so much that it lowers the fun factor. The main problem is that you get knocked back pretty far when hit and it usually equals death. A hack that eliminates being knocked back when hit would make the game a lot more fun in my opinion and would feel still very hard but more fair. Thanks!!

ToHell

Good day dear forum,

SOS (USA/ EU)/ Septentrion (JP) (SNES) censorship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQrnQmYWIEA&t=322s

I try it times here with my luck. I would be insanely happy if it would be possible that someone takes on this project.

This game is from Human Entertainment who also made Clock Tower. I think it stands out from the crowd of SNES games.

Unfortunately the game has been censored, the work would require some Japanese text translation and whether the bar scene is still in international Rome is also unknown.

Update:

The bar has been completely removed from the USA version.
You would have to completely retranslate the game.

Gameplay:

The player must escape from the ship within a time limit of one hour. The timer is hidden unless the player injures himself. In that case, he falls down unconscious and loses five minutes of the time. After a certain amount of time, the ship begins to periodically tilt in the water and gradually fill with water.

The player can take up to seven other survivors, some of which have a different value for each playable character, and all of which have different requirements for how to get to them and how to get them to follow the player. Depending on how many survivors the player finds, who they are, and how valuable they are to the player's chosen character, the ending will vary. The best ending for each character is obtained by escaping from the boiler room, the final area of the game, with your sentient (Amy for Capris; Harry, Stella, and Jack for Redwin; Ismay for Luke; and Adela for Jeffrey) and more than 25 "points" of survivors.

Censors:

https://tcrf.net/SOS_(SNES)#Regional_Differences

Animebryan

Can we get a easy/fair nerf to old NES games like the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, Battletoads, Ghosts 'n Goblins, etc.
Many of these games are only notoriously difficult because of hardware limitations or poor/sadistic design choices. Would be nice to be able to beat these games without resorting to using cheat codes or abusing save states.

Most players should be able to beat these games using just skill & reflexes & not be hindered by bad luck/RNG or cheap BS like enemy respawning.

KingMike

The Japanese version of Battletoads is reportedly MUCH fairer than the western versions.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

SNES007

Hi Everyone,

An idea for a hack, not sure how hard it would be or if it is a simple one, but I wonder if someone could hack the SNES Super Star Wars games to have Indiana Jones from Indiana Jones Greatest adventure as a playable character. Then maybe have the Super Star Wars game character's playable in Indiana Jones's Greatest Adventures.

I would think it would not be too bad to do since they all use the same engine and graphic style, and are made by the same company?

Hacker65xx

--------------------------------

pocket

After playing the Famicom Disk System version of The Legend of Zelda on the Zelda Game and Watch last year, I much prefer the sounds of the original FDS release.  But I prefer just about everything else the NES version does, and I prefer playing with snarfblam's automap plus patch. What I'm getting at is that I'd like to see a "localized" version of The Legend of Zelda for FDS with translated title screen, text, updated sprites, ect and the option to add the automap pplus patch.

FDS version has a translation patch already but I'd like something that sticks closer to official localizations. Nothing wrong with preserving the original intent of the devs but "take this" and "buy some" is really lacking in flavor imo. And the more visible Zora and automap patch helps a lot too.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

nesrocks

Quote from: Animebryan on April 13, 2022, 02:38:27 PM
Can we get a easy/fair nerf to old NES games like the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, Battletoads, Ghosts 'n Goblins, etc.
Many of these games are only notoriously difficult because of hardware limitations or poor/sadistic design choices. Would be nice to be able to beat these games without resorting to using cheat codes or abusing save states.

Most players should be able to beat these games using just skill & reflexes & not be hindered by bad luck/RNG or cheap BS like enemy respawning.
Sounds like my kind of thing, especially since I like those games. I've been erring on the side of adding an options menu, like I did with TMNT2. Keep the game intact on normal difficulty, but offer easy and hard as well. A music test wouldn't hurt either (even though the NG games already have one). The thing for me is free time, I'm kinda out of having that these days.

julayla

Quote from: nesrocks on April 15, 2022, 01:09:31 PM
Sounds like my kind of thing, especially since I like those games. I've been erring on the side of adding an options menu, like I did with TMNT2. Keep the game intact on normal difficulty, but offer easy and hard as well. A music test wouldn't hurt either (even though the NG games already have one). The thing for me is free time, I'm kinda out of having that these days.

I agree. Some of us that would like those options would be a blessing. I mean I know that there are those "get good" kind of games, but sometimes, the "getting good" part of defeating a really REALLY hard game is not enough and I'd like an option to get through the entire game in either mode.

MiguelS

Gunstar Heroes (Mega Drive).

Proposed Hack:  Enable a shot style toggle button, either 'Mode' or X/Y/Z for 6-button controllers, to let P1 and P2 freely switch between Free Shot and Fixed Shot during gameplay.

M2 implemented this function for one of the modes in the 3DS port. It would be great to be able to use it in the original Mega Drive version.

Nariturbina

Hello! I'd love it if someone could take the Solbrain Complete hack and make these changes to it so it's really "complete":
* Keep the original music of all bosses.
* Change Area F music and restore the original.
* Change the boss of Area B (CYBORGAPE) for Shatterhand's (POGOBORGS) so that all the bosses remain (otherwise you fight twice against the same boss: in Area B and in the Submarine).
* Restore wallpaper upon completion of Area G.
* Remove the improvements of the Satellites so that they remain as in the original game.
* Restore the siren sound on the final stage slideshow.
I offer to help in any way I can!!!!
Thank you very much!!

LaudinoInfamous

guys, for someone who understands sonic, how many characters can you put in any mega drive sonic game?

FAST6191

What do you mean by characters?

As in letters, runes, glyphs?

As in sprites on screen (give or take multiple sprite items)

As in different suits able to be selected between (also pondering palette swaps)?

How much effort would you be willing to put in for the one above? Twiddling a pointer is nothing too drastic, redoing a game to be one of those crazy bankswitched efforts (there was a racing game, though even something like the Toy Story efforts is notable, and that is before we ponder the option for a megacd port).

Are these characters full characters? Basic NPC that walks and dies is one thing, full player replacement with equivalents of https://www.spriters-resource.com/resources/sheets/32/35043.png is more.

LaudinoInfamous

I don't know. it's because I wanted to know how many would put him in Sonic 1 until Sonic & Knuckles

Cris1997XX

A hack for Strider on Sega Genesis that restores the cutscenes' voiced dialogues and Hiryu's grunt while slashing his weapon

pocket

Quote from: LaudinoInfamous on April 18, 2022, 12:26:12 PM
guys, for someone who understands sonic, how many characters can you put in any mega drive sonic game?

Well Sonic Classic Heroes has managed to put six characters into one, Sonic, Tails, Knuckls, Espio, Charmy, and Vector, keeping in mind they also combined Sonic 1 and 2 into one game. There were also plans to add more, the project stalled but seems to be moving again last time I checked the thread on Sonic Retro. You might be better off asking around there, but idk how newcomer friendly they are given it is a Sonic fan community and... y'know. It feels like the sky is the limit with Sonic much like Super Mario World given they have so many pretty impressive hacks and yearly hacking contests.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

Tsukiyomaru0

I heard someone made an amiga port of MSX Metal Gear, so an idea:
Port Metal Gear 1 and 2 to the GBA or NDS.