Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.

Started by Piotyr, March 23, 2007, 10:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainHIT

I've tried to search for "the jabu" https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=14325 a long time but couldn't find any trace. He really had done awesome patches and fixes but he/she isn't active here since 5 years now. I'd like him to update Super Turrican for the NES with a proper Turrican sprite (looking more like the one from Amiga releases) and proper colors. It also hurts my eyes that everything is grey and the Turrican sprite is bright white.

https://imgur.com/a/fXtXFQJ

Antonio Nero

Quote from: hossbags2 on March 22, 2022, 07:56:08 AM
Rings of Power - Sega Geneis
New Logo (Mature Audiences Only)

To get an alternate Naughty Dog Games logo during the opening splash sequence, before you turn on you Genesis hold down A + B + C + Down-Right + Start on controller 2, then turn your power on.

Anyway of hacking this game so the topless girl always shows up during the opening splash sequence
I partially agree.

In my opinion, every cheat that needs the second controller should be hacked to be performed on the first controller.

julayla

I know I might get some hate for suggesting this, but when I played Disney's Magical Mirror back then, I felt like the potential was there, but it executed poorly on game controls and designs. That's why I wish someone would make a 2D demake of the game and make it more like one of the point and click adventure games with some challenge.

Brutapode89

A hack of Dragon Quest VI (SNES) but by making sure Battle Rex (Exceptly if he's already recruitable on the SNES version), Mottle Slime, Cureslime and Seaslime can be also recruitable like on the DS version.

ThatGuyOverThere

Are there any hacks for this game that make him less pointless? The character is basically an embarrassment: he's weak, easily killed, his attacks are borderline useless and frankly a pet rock would be a better use of his party position because I could at least whip the rock at someone really hard.

You get stuck with him for a moderate amount of time and I'd like something that makes him something other than dead weight if possible.

CrispX

The most less complete series of Michel Vaillant here:
German: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKsTNW3aRwsda9km_Qre6clXoSACDRaHJ
English: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLntckbqSi0cZEw-f_5jAIU0MTcP_j-G8V
At least 75% of the episodes are avaliable.

Hack Idea: Super Monaco GP - Sega Genesis
Change car colours, Name players, Image Players, Name Cars.
Make original as possible.  ;)

LaudinoInfamous

Someone who is romhacker from Kof, here is the moveset of KOF 2002 New remix, created by me:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iePzK0AjYK8r0fIstWc_X44_UP9CoCntPgCa0ED-EMM/edit?usp=drivesdk

💯% Complete

If anyone wants more ideas, let me know. 

My email: laudinoinfamous@gmail.com

celebi23

So, 4 years ago, I released a hack that forces GBA mode for Wendy: Every Witch Way:

Like other patches that force GBA mode, the palette is brightened. This was to compensate for the original GBA's dark screen:

There are patches for those games to keep the GBC palette while still being in GBA mode:

I'd like to create something similar for Wendy: Every Witch Way but, I'm not sure where to begin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated  :thumbsup:  :beer:

KingMike

I haven't played an OG GBA (just SP) but I thought the screen was equally bad to the GBC (and the WSC, which I do own, for that matter).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

LaudinoInfamous

Before giving an idea of ​​the hack, I have a question for those who are romhackers: can this hack also be used for MEGACD/SEGACD?

Because it would be really cool with even the hack songs arranged

FAST6191

Quote from: celebi23 on March 28, 2022, 11:51:17 AM
So, 4 years ago, I released a hack that forces GBA mode for Wendy: Every Witch Way:

Like other patches that force GBA mode, the palette is brightened. This was to compensate for the original GBA's dark screen:

There are patches for those games to keep the GBC palette while still being in GBA mode:

I'd like to create something similar for Wendy: Every Witch Way but, I'm not sure where to begin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated  :thumbsup:  :beer:

There are two main options as I see it
The is in GBA detection only runs at boot as far as I am aware ( https://gbdev.io/pandocs/CGB_Registers.html ). This presumably is used to set a flag somewhere in the game. One part does whatever bonus mode you want, the other causing graphics tweaks.
There are two approaches the graphics would have taken
i) Whole load of separate palettes with separate pointers to each. Change pointers back or overwrite the GBA mode palettes with the GBC (or if there is a virtual console version you like more then those).
ii) Some kind of dynamic palette. I don't know what goes here for the GB/GBC for this -- for the GBA it is nothing but this would represent some actual work for a GBC. Edit the code that changes the dynamic, or go the other way and figure out what the changes are and reverse them (if it is add 2 to each RGB/BGR brightness bit then find the base palette and subtract 2 from each brightness bit)

The other main approach then being either force the GBA extras to be unlocked by default (find whatever reads the flag to enable that and force it always on) or to disable the graphics alteration entirely, or indeed both at once. This would be the more "professional" way of doing it but finding palettes and pointers is easier.

As you mentioned then some of the other games that have perks and downsides to GBA detection have been done. https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=16827.0 has some discussion on what was done to get the best of both worlds now we have nice modern screens (got an analogue pocket recently to play with... would love to test that hack out for you on that).

I would also note that if you want to do another GBA mode hack then the previously unreleased Towers II GBC version apparently has such a feature
https://www.unseen64.net/2019/08/01/towers-2-plight-stargazer-gameboy-color-cancelled/
I do keep meaning to have a look myself but other things keep coming up.

dewhenson07

ok so my idea bassically is about the nes game castlevania 2 like with all the romhacks

the romhacks im talking about here are

Castlevania II Annoyance Fixes

Castlevania II English Re-translation (+Map) (which already has sram and is retranslated)

Castlevania II - Simon Restore & Improved lifebar

Castlevania 2: Improved Controls

Castlevania II False Floor & Breakable Block Replacer

Castlevania II: Game Over Penalty Reduction

Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest - Moody

with all of these combined my idea is for a castlevania 2 romhack that combines all of these hacks into one with the moody romhack for some parts of the game like for the day and night stuff with a few minor improvments like with the save screen on the retranslation romhack when a another romhack is added as well as the title screen copyright to say something like the retranslations copyright text thing u know with the 1987 1988 1990 copyright on it along with the konami industry co ltd and the licensed by nintendo of america inc under that as well to make a defintive version of the game

or even the rev edition for the simons quest subtitle text if possible as an alternate title screen for the patch as well

here is my title screen concept for this romhack

SCD

I would like to see a FastROM hack for Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium, this will be great for tag matches and battle royals, because they suffer from major slowdown.

VeganDoritos

Quote from: SCD on March 30, 2022, 09:41:46 AM
I would like to see a FastROM hack for Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium, this will be great for tag matches and battle royals, because they suffer from major slowdown.

Super Fire Pro-Wrestling X Premium already uses FastROM (according to the UCON64 tool). A SA-1 (or FX2 if possible) hack might be needed for that particular game.

SCD

Alright, I didn't know. Is it possible to insert SA-1 or FX2 to it?

Arcade-Elite

Any way we can get NES Tiny Toon Adventures 2 new levels hack? there are alot of hack's that are good coming out that just change characters and sometimes story. But missing new levels to be a different game.

Rodimus Primal

No home port of Street Fighter Alpha 3 feels as complete as it needs to be. Either its missing animation frames present in the arcade, lacks features others have such as characters, or doesn't have 2 player local vs. I'd love to see a hack that delivers all of that in one package.

KKHell

i kinda want to see colorization and translation hacks of the Nettou gameboy fighting game ports. I know a handful of them were released in the US and had SGB support and fighting games don't need to be translated often, but i feel like Takara's GB versions would benefit greatly from these modifications. Vast Fame even made bootleg games with the engine used in their port of KOF 96, showing that it could be done.

Brutapode89

A full color version for all languages version of Pokémon Yellow Version: Special Pikachu Edition.

Graphicus

Quote from: Rodimus Primal on March 31, 2022, 11:11:09 AM
No home port of Street Fighter Alpha 3 feels as complete as it needs to be. Either its missing animation frames present in the arcade, lacks features others have such as characters, or doesn't have 2 player local vs. I'd love to see a hack that delivers all of that in one package.

Alpha 3 MAX on PSP is pretty much complete, if you don't count PocketStation integration (for obvious reasons).