Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.

Started by Piotyr, March 23, 2007, 10:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pelador

I wouldn't know the first thing about map editing Breath of Fire. No one else has made one so far either. Whether that's due to it being a kind of s cult game or because it's difficult, I wouldn't know. And yes all enemies in the game have fixed exp and item rewards. So that makes it significantly easier to shuffle their assigned values around. Not that an amateur like me would know how to do that but should be simple for one who has made a randomiser before.

yogu

A really minor thing that I thought of... replacing the Japanese text of "Gunners Heaven" with that of the English version "Rapid Reload", effectively creating an "undub" version (since the English version has no voices). The English version is PAL only, and some people online complained that it is a slightly inferior port, so it would be best to modify the Japanese original version.

There's also one game I would suggest translating that isn't on the datacrystal wiki list, a Saturn platformer called "Steamgear Mash". I've tried putting it there but I'm not allowed to.

91-MPH

I wouldn't mind if there was a romhack of Ryusui's retranslation of Breath of Fire II that restores any altered graphics back to their vanilla versions; like the game's intro, and the main menu's display, etc.

Brutapode89

Another FF1 PAL fix patch like in this link but for the Japanese version, please?

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/455/

If we translate from a Japanese version of the first Final Fantasy in other languages. It's to it works perfectly on a PAL NES.

oleguer

Hello forum! No one think is good idea translate the series of sega ages 2500 (or port the translations and apply for ps2 versions) because the list of the games us very interesting!
Vol. 01 Phantasy Star Generation 1
Vol. 02 Monaco GP
Vol. 03 Fantasy Zone
Vol. 04 Space Harrier
Vol. 05 Golden Axe
Vol. 06 Bonanza Bros.
Vol. 07 Columns
Vol. 08 Virtua Racing
Vol. 09 Gain Ground
Vol. 10 Afterburner II
Vol. 11 Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star) (Black Belt)
Vol. 12 Puyo Puyo Tsuu Perfect Set
Vol. 13 Outrun
Vol. 14 Alien Syndrome
Vol. 15 Decathlete Collection
Vol. 16 Virtua Fighter 2
Vol. 17 Phantasy Star Generation 2
Vol. 18 Dragon Force
Vol. 19 Fighting Vipers
Vol. 20 Space Harrier Complete Collection
Vol. 21 SEGA System 16 Collection: SDI & Quartet
Vol. 22 Advanced Daisenryaku: Doitsu Dengeki Sakusen
Vol. 23 Sega Memorial Selection
Vol. 24 Last Bronx
Vol. 25 Gunstar Heroes, Treasure Box (Dynamite Headdy y Alien Soldier)
Vol. 26 Dynamite Deka (Die hard arcade)
Vol. 27 Panzer Dragoon
Vol. 28 Tetris Collection
Vol. 29 Monster World Complete Collection
Vol. 30 Galaxy Force II Special Extended Edition
Vol. 31 Cyber Troopers Virtual-On
Vol. 32 Phantasy Star Complete Collection
Vol. 33 Fantasy Zone Complete Collection

I think the games of the collection are very interesting! (and have translations on english for sega saturn roms) anyone know if it's possible use the same translate patch and apply for the ps2 iso (I know no the same file but with programing no need translate)
Thanks forum!!

https://youtu.be/Va1-4grKecU

KingMike

Some of those were released officially as a collection. The Phantasy Star games at least have had fan translations already.
You probably cannot just drop a Saturn translation onto the PS2.

I wonder if that Quartet port suffers from the problem that apparently few people even bothered to play through that game, as apparently only in the last year or so that MAME fixed a bug that made the game impossible to finish level 15 (except maybe by glitch abuse) and even the Sega mini arcade unit had that flaw.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

drax01

Can someone remove the repeated characters in the "Player Select" screen and improve the music, it would be a great trick for street fighter zero 97 for nes.

this is the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1alJI_jmZe4

February 23, 2022, 02:44:03 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Szemigi's "Mortal Kombat 2" hack, it's great but we have someone here who can finish improving it, it would be great if they could fix the music and the drawings of the character selection screen.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4364/

Hardback247

Could someone please fix the jump physics and camera in Donkey Kong Land 1 for Game Boy? I think this reviewer says it best:

https://gameboyessentials.com/articles/dmg-yt/

E.Signal

Both SNES Sailor Moon beat em ups needs these things:

- Improved hit detection
- Wider hit boxes
- Better damage output for all 5 characters
- Better character balancing

February 25, 2022, 02:42:31 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

The original Rushing Beat game also known as Rival Turf on the SNES has to many flaws that makes the game frustrating to play through, so it needs the following changes: 1.) Better hit detection, this can be fixed by widening the hitboxes on both character's attacks a little bit and widening the hitboxes on the enemy sprites. 2.) faster combo string delay, the basic combo string in Rushing Beat always felt slow and awkward. If possible make the combo string feel exactly like the one in the Final Fight games, they're faster and more responsive. 3.) longer hit stun for the enemies, I find it annoying and unfair that the enemies can just break out of your combo string and hit you instead. 4.) Better damage output for Norton, his damage is just poor compared to Bild's, so he could use a little bit more damage.

February 25, 2022, 03:17:34 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

A Streets of Rage 3 hack that has this:

- Better damage output for all characters
- Faster combo string delay like the jp version
- Fixed bug where the basic combo string don't reset even if you're not hitting enemies
- Jp version original colors, for example Axel wearing white, Blaze wearing red and Skate wearing Yellow
- Diagonal running 

opiter09

I'm not going through 403 pages of this to see if it's been asked already, but I would love a hack of the Wii Twilight Princess that un-mirrors everything, so those of us who are left-handed can control a left-handed Link with matching motion controls (I know the Gamecube version exists, but that one has no motion controls at all).

julayla

You know, I rewatched the Kamp Krusty episode of the Simpsons before I decided to play the Escape from Camp Deadly and it got me thinking: It would be interesting if someone made a rom hack of the gameboy game and while fixing a few things to satisfy players, the game would be made as a "Escape from Kamp Krusty" game. I mean it'd be interesting to fight Mr. Black and Bart's usual bullies in the game.

E.Signal

A Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon (Arcade) hack that does these things:

- Better range and damage for all 5 characters
- Special attacks (the attack + jump move) that uses up less hp
- More time for stages
- Wider hit boxes for enemies

Tsukiyomaru0

A couple ideas for Castlevania Circle of the Moon:
→ A speed hack that increases speed for player movement and actions by 20%
→ Make it so if Nathan enters his idle stance the MP recovery gets improved.

Abbanon

A very minor hack for Pokemon B/W/B2/W2 that changes only two things:
The lowercase "m" and "w" in Pokemon names displayed mid-battle.

To basically change these...

Into these...

A few measely little pixels make a world of difference.
Are you staying hydrated?

FAST6191

Quote from: Tsukiyomaru0 on March 02, 2022, 04:35:53 PM
A couple ideas for Castlevania Circle of the Moon:
→ A speed hack that increases speed for player movement and actions by 20%
→ Make it so if Nathan enters his idle stance the MP recovery gets improved.

Those would be reasonable intro to assembly type hacks.

1) Whatever edits the OAM will also edit whatever internal location state, and all be influenced by things here. Should not be too hard to add a bit to a multiplier or base value if above 0. Hopefully there is an acceleration in there or precision platforming could be tricky, cross that bridge as and when.
2) Make an infinite MP cheat/find the MP location in RAM. Set a break on write to that and when the recovery kicks in it should have a calculation. Knowing when something is idle could be harder but it will probably involve one of a certain number of sprites being on screen so back to looking at OAM based efforts and working backwards a bit. If idle add some value, or multiply by a useful amount to the calculation being made before being written to MP.

RealGaea

Quote from: E.Signal on February 07, 2022, 10:47:52 PM
There's one Final Fight SNES hack called Unlicensed hack that had everything that was cut like the 2p mode, Guy, Poison and Roxy, etc. The hack was abandoned and unfinished. The only thing the hack needs now to be a finished product is the Industrial Area stage and Rolento. Could it be possible to somehow rip the missing stage and from the GBA port and put it into the SNES one? If so that would be awesome. Please someone pick this hack up and finish it  :'(   

I've been diddling with the GBA version, and can tell you this: putting the Elevator and Rolento on SNES is near impossible, even in FastROM. Sure, the Industrial Area was resized to fit in SNES proportions, but uses too many effects at once (the fire in the furnace part, plus enemies), or is an entire separate routine (imagine the elevator part as a huge sprite) to make Rolento work, even if his afterimages were cut. Plus, he must be programmed from scratch.

FF2 tried to reach what you asked, due to working on a different build (that loads those huge sprites better than FF1) and taking some more liberties (you fight only Rolento, so he can show his afterimages, and playable field is wider so the game can handle better the grenades since some of them are offscreen).

FobiaZz

Hi everyone! I'm suggesting here an idea for translate a game that, actually, already has been officially translated :) 

I'm huge fan of PS games, one of the games I loved most for his originality was Psychic Force 2. I played it on PC (named as Psychic Force 2012 and less features) and then on PS.

Strange fact: I stepped into two versions of the game: the original NTSC-J Japanese version and, many years later, the translated PAL English version. They looked identical until I found out that the PAL version has been cut in some parts (f.e. round win poses are skipped :banghead:).

Instead to decide every time to play between an understandable (but cutted) and a complete (but hieroglyphs) version, why someone doesn't remedy with a re-translation of Japanese version, using as script resource the already existing English version? :) I thought to do it by myself, but I'd like to leave it to an expert volunteer! :-[ Having a translation already existing, it should be easier...or not?

E.Signal

Quote from: RealGaea on March 02, 2022, 11:17:20 PM
I've been diddling with the GBA version, and can tell you this: putting the Elevator and Rolento on SNES is near impossible, even in FastROM. Sure, the Industrial Area was resized to fit in SNES proportions, but uses too many effects at once (the fire in the furnace part, plus enemies), or is an entire separate routine (imagine the elevator part as a huge sprite) to make Rolento work, even if his afterimages were cut. Plus, he must be programmed from scratch.

FF2 tried to reach what you asked, due to working on a different build (that loads those huge sprites better than FF1) and taking some more liberties (you fight only Rolento, so he can show his afterimages, and playable field is wider so the game can handle better the grenades since some of them are offscreen).

Sounds like something the original devs could've done, what about the beginning of the level? is it possible to remove the flame hazard so that part of the level could work with the SNES version's limitations? I would've loved to see what this level looks like on the SNES.

Tsukiyomaru0

Ideas for Sigma Star Saga:
1. Improve default autofire rate GREATLY so we don't need to use Turbo.
2. Invert the B-Button function when on foot or in a ship (normal: B Button speeds up or runs. Inverted: B Button speeds down or walks)
3. GREATLY reduce the chance of big ships summoning the player. Those chonkers aren't worth the hassle
BONUS. Make it so each time you "die" a different ship comes in.
4. Increase EXP gain early on by a little.
5. Fix the accursed menus. Start should bring the menu, not Select. Select should switch between Status/Inventory and Weapon Setup. Left and Right should scroll inventory and current Gun Data, not L and R. L and R should switch between weapon types, not left and right.
6. Power Up the Sigma Fleet ship for the "intro stage". Just a bit anyways.
7. Move Gun Data around so it makes more sense (some particularly powerful ones can be found early on, while some meek ones can be found later. That needs fixing)
8. Change how Recker's weapons work ENTIRELY: Scanner and Boots should always stay on once obtained, and the only switchable ones should be Puck, Wing and Pistol.
9. Fix them bugs. Specially in Forgotten Planet.
10. Make ship's hitboxes smaller.
11. Make sure that Narrow Tunnels and LARGE Ships never pops up at the same time.
12. Better yet: REMOVE large ships from the random pick.
13. Fix certain bosses hitbox (the Fossil is SPECIALLY BAD)
14. cap encounter requirement to 50 or halve them all.

And one for Wing Commander Prophecy (GBA) add the ability to Invert Up/Down.

TCgamerboy2002

Here's an idea that I'm pretty sure no one would be interested in, but I'm gonna say it anyways 'cause that's how I roll! ;D

An NES hack based on Rowdy and Peanut from the recently released Netflix cartoon, Cat Burglar. Since the game/cartoon is a take on Tex Avery cartoons, the idea of this is that it'd be a take on licensed games based on cartoons.

For this hack, it'd be one of Pizza Pop! where you play as a pizza delivery boy delivering... well, pizzas. In this hack, you'd play as Peanut the Dog who's delivering pizzas to earn money for a ring for a girlfriend made up for this hack. His rival would be Rowdy the Cat who's trying to mess with him. The other characters would be references to Tex Avery cartoons, be it vague or blatant.

I chose Pizza Pop! because cartoons usually put characters in various situations, and pizza delivery would be fitting.