Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.

Started by Piotyr, March 23, 2007, 10:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc

Quote from: Brutapode89 on February 13, 2022, 10:36:12 AM
I think, because as the SNES have a CD-ROM player but it's a single copy and the Megadrive/Genesis have the Sega CD/Mega CD, SNES games and Megadrive/Genesis games works into MSU. And as the PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 have the PC-Engine CD-ROM², Super CD-ROM² and Arcade CD-ROM², I said me myself, it could be possible.

I have no idea who's experienced in such conversion hacks.
AFAIK, RHDN hosts zero patches that convert a hucard game to CD.

VIVIDRAGE

Quote from: swosho on February 13, 2021, 08:43:31 PM
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2 (GBA) —  undub or voice clips removal.
any updates? i just found out that no one has ever undub a gba roms before..

Poppler

Suggestions for Mega Drive hacks:

- Strider: A hack to apply the arcade graphics, letting the original MD music and ending, which I think are better.

- Earthworm Jim 1 & 2: A hack to apply some of the better snes graphics and colors whenever is possible.

- Shadow of the Beast: A hack to apply the japanese version optimizations and improvements.

FAST6191

Quote from: VIVIDRAGE on February 15, 2022, 03:26:01 AM
any updates? i just found out that no one has ever undub a gba roms before..

There have been a few people that played with things, and you can go the other way and backport the script to the presumably Japanese version.

Most GBA games use the sappy audio format (though if there was going to be an exception then this franchise stands a better chance than most) which if it has the files inside it will presumably make it so much extract, import/overwrite using one of the various sappy capable programs.

Quote from: Erockbrox on February 14, 2022, 04:48:46 PM
I'm playing Final Fantasy II SNES and I feel like I'm probably half way into the adventure and I noticed something. The item inventory space, its small, too small.

In the other later versions FF III and FF IV they fixed this issue giving the player plenty of space with the items in the game. But in FF II I'm out of space holding items. Yes, you can sell your older swords and such back for money, but there is a part in the game where you have to downgrade your items because you cannot take metal items into this one cave.

So in a circumstance like this, its nice to have your older equipment around so that you can easily downgrade and then upgrade once you have finished the cave.

I just can't believe that the developers thought that this was enough inventory space. It makes the whole game now (once you run out of space) almost pointless because you open up a treasure chest to only have to throw away the items sometimes without even knowing if the item is good or not.

"Hey look a treasure chest, oh look I got this cool new item, too bad I will have to throw it away now and that opening the chest was pointless."

I get a new item, but now I have to throw out an old item, why? Why can't there just be enough space to hold the stuff that you collect in a normal play through of the game.

Does anyone know how to hack the game and allow for an increase item inventory or does this hack already exist?

You can have a look through
https://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&genre=&platform=&game=300&category=&perpage=100&order=&dir=&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go if you want, https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4372/ being the closest for anything I saw there but did not do a proper search.

As far as the magnetic cave I think it was called they did somewhat prompt you do get items before that when I played such things. Granted I pressed on and suffered a paralysed main character flanked by some mages in a largely physical monsters space.

Increasing inventory size, outside of games where you get items/abilities in game to increase it, is often on the trickier side of things. If it is not a selection from table approach to inventory (imagine a spreadsheet where every cell represents an item and how many of it you have, this is one way, the other is a big list of things like "item1=4,item2=1,item5=6") you have to handle the location in memory, the saves, the wrapping of anything when you go to the top/bottom, reading the data from memory/setting new boundaries. I don't know what we have for disassemblies of this game right now but if there is one it is marginally easier -- you still get to do all that above but should be able to find it easier.

Someone may do it one day but "git gud"/play with a guide is probably the better choice. Is there not also a chocobo that you can stash more in or was that another title in the franchise?

KingMike

Quote from: Erockbrox on February 14, 2022, 04:48:46 PM
I get a new item, but now I have to throw out an old item, why? Why can't there just be enough space to hold the stuff that you collect in a normal play through of the game.

Does anyone know how to hack the game and allow for an increase item inventory or does this hack already exist?

The actual FF3 (for the Famicom) and this game had a storage feature. You know you can buy a Gysahl Green (or "Carrot") then go to this big empty space in any Chocobo Forest and store/remove items. On SNES FF2/4, you can even buy a Whistle item to access the storage inventory anytime.
The storage feature was even kept in the 3D (DS and never) versions of FF3, even though I believe it has been made superfluous.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

LaudinoInfamous

Can anyone out there answer a quick question: Is it possible to romhack Tekken Tag Tournament for Mame and PS2 roms?

Tsukiyomaru0

A few ideas to make Car Battler Joe better:
→ Make Select bring up the Map without having to pause the game first.
→ Disable the NORMAL functionality of L button. Have it bring the Cargo menu up instead of spitting out what's last in the cargo.
↑ In addition, the Cargo menu should feature "Dispose" at all times.
↑ And driving over an item you can't pick up because your Cargo is full should show its name.

FAST6191

Quote from: LaudinoInfamous on February 16, 2022, 09:43:25 AM
Can anyone out there answer a quick question: Is it possible to romhack Tekken Tag Tournament for Mame and PS2 roms?

Both systems are accepting of user made code/altered commercial code, some MAME stuff is a bit annoying but you can work around that too. Emulation is reasonable for both, and features something like a debugger. Hardware is known and plenty of people have even tangled with formats from the same company/systems.

I assume you already looked to see if there were tools. I would be surprised if there are.

To that end you would probably end up having to go in cold and do all the heavy lifting but hacking it seems well within reason.

LaudinoInfamous

Suggestions for Tekken Tag Tournament for Mame and PS2:

•Add previous characters not added to the game, and add Later Tekken characters:

-Dr.Bosconovitch and Gon from Tekken 3. Their moveset are the same;

-Steve Fox and Craig Marduk from Tekken 4 (If possible).Their movesets is from Tekken 4;

-Raven from Tekken 5 (If possible).His moveset is from Tekken 5 with some moves of Tag Tournament 2;

•Add New stages
•Add some new moves from some characters

If you want to talk to give more ideas, my email is: laudinoinfamous@gmail.com

FAST6191

That does seem to be the purpose of the thread, and if I am around I might give some idea of how hard it is going to be. Whether they are likely to be acted upon is a different matter entirely.

McKnight

Super Mario RPG (SNES):

Disable level-ups, boss battles, and Flower Tabs et al from automatically refilling your HP and/or FP.

FAST6191

Quote from: McKnight on February 16, 2022, 05:18:25 PM
Super Mario RPG (SNES):

Disable level-ups, boss battles, and Flower Tabs et al from automatically refilling your HP and/or FP.

That would be a reasonable intro to either hardpatching cheats or assembly based hacks.

Start by finding cheats for infinite HP and FP ( https://web.archive.org/web/20080309104350/http://etk.scener.org/?op=tutorial is for the GBA but the principle applies to everything really, give or take pointers on more modern things), there might already be some as it is a rather popular title. You could go by experience/level and it would be a valid path, indeed a cheat for experience so you can trip the level up by fighting a random fodder enemy would work. On later systems with more complicated cheat setups you could probably note HP/FP somewhere, find the level/experience counter and do some complicated if change then but I doubt most SNES cheat setups will be able to pull something like this off.

Anyway this will tell you where the HP is located in memory.

Set a breakpoint (presumably break on write/bpw) on that location and then level up. The level up restoration it does should hopefully be separate to potions and whatever else there is, or at least be a call of some kind of restore function* you can then simply NOP out (NOP is short for no-operation, as you can't delete instructions without everything else breaking the easier route is to basically make the CPU twiddle its thumbs by doing something that changes nothing other than wasting a cycle or whatever your NOP of choice takes, most people just mov a given register to the same register).

*if it is a whole function and not something like copy max health to health then most of the time it will be something like jump/branch to location, do the deed, jump back to immediately after the earlier jump and it then carries on).

Repeat for FP and if not the same thing then flower tabs, boss battles and whatever else you deem as making life too easy.

After you are done you can probably render this out as a series of game genie patches as well if you wanted.

NES Boy

Inspired by the upcoming release of Sol Cresta, how about an autoboot hack of Nichibutsu Arcade Classics for the Super Nintendo?

Brutapode89

Quote from: tc on February 14, 2022, 08:47:02 PM
I have no idea who's experienced in such conversion hacks.
AFAIK, RHDN hosts zero patches that convert a hucard game to CD.

Is it impossible, in fact?

FAST6191

Quote from: Brutapode89 on February 18, 2022, 01:34:39 AM

So you have PCE/TG16 games and want to allow them to use something from the more exotic end of their own hardware spectrum*, or something that emulator and flash cart/hardware devs agree to implement as something (the MSU is actually something invented by hackers https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/13144/snes-msu-1-guide ). In the case of the PCE/TG16 the obvious step is the CD addon, most of which are fairly similar for these purposes but the arcade would probably be the gold standard (most RAM/buffer, especially compared to stock. It did not appear in NA so you may wish to consider truly leaning into it if you expect your end users of the hack to play on hardware and instead maybe opt for the supercd). Extra storage, considerably so, being the main point of interest along with audio abilities (we shall save the discussion of artistic merits of CD audio vs more programmable/situational audio afforded by sequenced approaches for another day).
The main concern when going to optical media from carts is latency -- even a modern PS5 if you slam it with random reads might struggle to keep up with old school ROM reads, never mind a PCE/TG16 CD addon, so you get to code to handle that.
I don't know offhand if you can play with card form games and have extras loaded from CD. That would make for an interesting means of expansion without too much difficulty.
Alternatively there is the SuperGrafx you could have as a target, though that might be heading more into conversion territory even if Darius at least went there.

*back in the day extra hardware would not have been just a setting on a flash cart or a chip costing nothing but potentially a significant extra expense when you produce at scale, and even worse if it is hardware the end user would be expected to own (with the possible exception of guitar hero then generally if you make your device use extra peripherals or controls you can expect it to sell a fraction of what it would have without it).

As far as possible then a good start might be to look at commercial games.
http://www.pcengine.co.uk/HTML_Games/Kickboxing.htm https://www.play-asia.com/the-kick-boxing/13/701284 mentions some music, and animations but I don't know if that is a thing.
Seems it appeared in CD form in Japan and in card form in the US.
Darius came in three flavours it seems (card, supercd and technically SuperGrafx format but that was more cross compatible, apparently losing flicker and slowdown if you did. There was another bonus boss rush port as a bonus/super rare and expensive thing today) so another for the consideration there.
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/darius/
That would then appear to speak to the possibility of things in this realm if no hacker has gone there before.

To that end you will want to go looking at hardware listings for the various devices mentioned above and seeing what they have in common and whether you could convince a regular game to fetch data or audio, adding some kind of load screen (checking to see if data has arrived/is loaded is not the hardest), and possibly redoing anything that sees it lose something (if indeed that is a thing). In some ways that might even be easier than some of the SNES MSU or conversion to special chip, GB/GBC MBC alterations, GB to GBC conversions, NES mapper changes, megadrive CD audio stuff and similar hacks.

tc

Quote from: Brutapode89 on February 18, 2022, 01:34:39 AM

Several games had CD enhanced versions. Including Bonk 3, Altered Beast, and R-Type.

What's possible, you ask? The PCE/TG16's peak capability was Supergrafx with an arcade card, but that setup never happened. No Supergrafx games were released in CD format (regardless of system card version).

Brutapode89

Quote from: tc on February 18, 2022, 09:23:20 AM
Several games had CD enhanced versions. Including Bonk 3, Altered Beast, and R-Type.

What's possible, you ask? The PCE/TG16's peak capability was Supergrafx with an arcade card, but that setup never happened. No Supergrafx games were released in CD format (regardless of system card version).

Example: Maybe we could try to make sure Dragon's Curse on PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 works with musics of the Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap remake on PC, Switch, PS4, ONE, iOS and Android.

pelador

I'm looking for a partner or more to help me build a Breath of Fire randomiser. I've had a look at the hex code and I have a pretty good grasp of where things are in the addreses. So that's at least a start. I thought about modifying an existing randomiser from another Snes RPG but I'm not knowledgable enough to know what I can delete without breaking anything. Well why not modify the Breath of Fire 2 rando instead? That should be easier right? Well maybe but it currently only runs through command prompt so I'd have to build an exe from scratch. Not the easiet task for a novice such as myself.

Things I'd like to see in the rando:

Enemy randomiser.
Item randomiser.
Randomised dragon forms/locations.
Exp randomiser.

Any other additions are welcome without objections.

Rest assured I'm not going to sit back and let everyone else do all the work. So what would my role be in all this?

Testing:
I'm very happy to test everything at every stage of development no matter how tedious. I may not be very skilled at coding from scratch but I can at least identify faults and offer advice.

Research:
Another aspect I'm willing to delve into is the data mining required. Whilst I am confident I have most of the data logged already, I know from reading about other projects that there's always something new to be found and another problem that needs solving. I'll gladly take on the arduous research tasks. I enjoy reverse engineering software and seeing how it's structured.

Anything else required of me:

I'm not going to pretend to know everything that goes into making a decent randomiser. So if there's things I'm missing that others would prefer me to do instead of them then I'll give it my best shot within my skill sets. As I said above, I am not going to be one of those jerks who expects everyone else to do all the hard graft for him.

Sorry if this turns out to be in the wrong section. I thought as I haven't really built anything yet then it's better here than the looking for help thread.

Hardback247

1. Could someone please do a DX color hack for Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3? Someone already did color hacks for the other Super Mario Land games, but doing Wario Land is not his top priority.

2. Apparently, the Japanese version of Wario World had some bug and graphical fixes, along with a second phase for the final boss. Could someone please make a hack that could apply these changes to the American ISO/ROM?

FAST6191

Quote from: pelador on February 18, 2022, 03:07:41 PM
I'm looking for a partner or more to help me build a Breath of Fire randomiser. I've had a look at the hex code and I have a pretty good grasp of where things are in the addreses. So that's at least a start. I thought about modifying an existing randomiser from another Snes RPG but I'm not knowledgable enough to know what I can delete without breaking anything. Well why not modify the Breath of Fire 2 rando instead? That should be easier right? Well maybe but it currently only runs through command prompt so I'd have to build an exe from scratch. Not the easiet task for a novice such as myself.

Things I'd like to see in the rando:

Enemy randomiser.
Item randomiser.
Randomised dragon forms/locations.
Exp randomiser.

Any other additions are welcome without objections.

Rest assured I'm not going to sit back and let everyone else do all the work. So what would my role be in all this?

Testing:
I'm very happy to test everything at every stage of development no matter how tedious. I may not be very skilled at coding from scratch but I can at least identify faults and offer advice.

Research:
Another aspect I'm willing to delve into is the data mining required. Whilst I am confident I have most of the data logged already, I know from reading about other projects that there's always something new to be found and another problem that needs solving. I'll gladly take on the arduous research tasks. I enjoy reverse engineering software and seeing how it's structured.

Anything else required of me:

I'm not going to pretend to know everything that goes into making a decent randomiser. So if there's things I'm missing that others would prefer me to do instead of them then I'll give it my best shot within my skill sets. As I said above, I am not going to be one of those jerks who expects everyone else to do all the hard graft for him.

Sorry if this turns out to be in the wrong section. I thought as I haven't really built anything yet then it's better here than the looking for help thread.

I don't know how useful an existing randomiser will be outside of a game's sequel or other region.

There are two main aspects to such things

1) The level editing aspect
2) The sequencing aspect

1) Is so much level editing. If you know where the data is, what formats it utilises, and such like then fire it through random (or random within limits) to achieve your goal.
2) Random is good but you probably want to ensure there is a path to the finish line. I think I am also duty bound to utter the phrase reticulating splines at this point. This would probably be what you gain, if anything, by reading another randomiser but frankly you will probably get more from some kind of level editor in general or especially a procedural generation level editor (technically this is what a randomiser is).

Random exp can be hard unless the enemies themselves have an associated XP value at the map level or something, outside chance of doing it if said XP total per monster or whatever is held in RAM (probably going to be near any other stats, held items or possibly HP) but I would not like to do that. That said whatever totals up the exp at the end of battle or whatever could be replaced with some kind of pseudo random generator I guess, this leaves level editing behind though and lands you into albeit very light assembly hacking.
Main approach would be find general exp level via normal cheat search (you probably know it but for the sake of others reading https://web.archive.org/web/20080309104350/http://etk.scener.org/?op=tutorial ). Set a break on write to that. Next thing that writes to it (next dead enemy/battle/...) will have something total up experience that happened in the preceding instructions, you then replace that totalling with some kind of random number generator and possibly bounds checking (if negative or high numbers are going to trouble things).

If you are no friend of mine you can take the cheat way out. Premake a whole bunch of rooms/levels that you know work and stitch those together.