News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 754535 times)

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2007, 12:13:26 am »
yeah, there is enough activity here to spawn it's own meme. is that singular or plural? or is it like deer, where both are the same. memi? for singular?
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Googie

• eeee!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2007, 05:49:19 pm »
Here's an idea, a graphics hack of either Code Name Viper or Rolling Thunder and make it into Perfect Dark, I think that'll be pretty cool.
What I like about that is that in the comic that was included in the Official Perfect Dark Strategy Guide, Dark goes to South America to shut down a cyborg manufacturing plant.

That's cool, It took a long time but I found that hack of Code Name Viper with the female in it, here's a pic...

And here's the patch.

Only a few sprites were changed in this hack. 
The ROM Hacking community's cartoonist...

Jedi QuestMaster

• About time, Photobucket--GOSH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2007, 11:20:55 pm »
Intriguing
And I'll leave it at that!

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2007, 12:52:12 am »
yes, the main character sprite is certainly easier on the eyes.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Jedi QuestMaster

• About time, Photobucket--GOSH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2007, 01:59:42 am »
There were way more than a few sprites hacked; the skeleton was changed into a bloody corpse. :P

It's too bad the computer screen pics were left untouched.
And I'll leave it at that!

Bad Username

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2007, 11:52:49 pm »
Has anyone hacked the PAL version of Terranigma to make it have the NTSC refresh rate? It just looks choppy because ZSNES repeats every fifth frame to match it to my monitor's refresh rate. :\

SpiffSpoo

• Wark!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2007, 12:03:39 am »
Has anyone hacked the PAL version of Terranigma to make it have the NTSC refresh rate? It just looks choppy because ZSNES repeats every fifth frame to match it to my monitor's refresh rate. :\

Thats a good idea, and make that floating evil lady at the castle easier to kill also  :-\
Wark!

MegaManJuno

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2007, 02:06:10 am »

I've never tried it, but there is a patch over here on Zophar's Domain that says it's used to "convert Terranigma from PAL to NTSC video format".

Bad Username

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2007, 03:23:18 am »
Yoink! Thanks Juno!

[UPDATE]

The patch works fine, and I think it even sounds better, although that may be my new studio headphones.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 03:32:22 am by Bad Username »

creaothceann

• SPINESHARK
    • View Profile
    • creaothceann's website
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2007, 10:30:00 am »

You could try running in 100 Hz mode. (Kitchensync)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2007, 10:42:51 am »

I've never tried it, but there is a patch over here on Zophar's Domain that says it's used to "convert Terranigma from PAL to NTSC video format".

So, you all leave this patch on dead Zophar's Domain instead of submitting it to RHDN? :P
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Kajitani-Eizan

• You couldn't kill me if I tried to let you
    • View Profile
    • Kajitani-Eizan's Patch Site
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2007, 03:45:38 pm »

You could try running in 100 Hz mode. (Kitchensync)

either he has an LCD, in which case he can't do that, or he's already nuts for running his CRT in 60 Hz mode.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2007, 10:20:28 pm »

So, you all leave this patch on dead Zophar's Domain instead of submitting it to RHDN? :P

We need someone to go over and submit the good zophars patches here.

MegaManJuno

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2007, 10:49:49 pm »
I've never tried it

I wasn't about to submit something that I had no idea about whether it worked or not. ;)

I'd have no idea what to submit it under at the moment, anyway.  I suppose Improvement may be the best match out of what's available, but then something like a "General" category might work better.  None of the options for Improvement really seem to fit (to me, at least): Graphics, Sound, Levels, and/or Text - as it's nothing more than a sort of "region hack" in a way.  :-\

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2007, 01:43:28 am »
I've never tried it

I wasn't about to submit something that I had no idea about whether it worked or not. ;)

I'd have no idea what to submit it under at the moment, anyway.  I suppose Improvement may be the best match out of what's available, but then something like a "General" category might work better.  None of the options for Improvement really seem to fit (to me, at least): Graphics, Sound, Levels, and/or Text - as it's nothing more than a sort of "region hack" in a way.  :-\

It would be greaphics because it fixes the refresh rates.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2007, 09:23:25 am »
Hehe.. I was thinking it could be Improvement since it improves upon teh original by increasing the frame rate and speeding everything up. I can see how it could be graphics as well.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2007, 09:58:41 am »
Hehe.. I was thinking it could be Improvement since it improves upon teh original by increasing the frame rate and speeding everything up. I can see how it could be graphics as well.

Well seeing as it does not replace the graphics with anything and only Improves the refreshrate then I think improvement is where its at.

Graphics would be like the mm7 hack that updates Basses sprite to look more spiffy.
Improvement would be fixing glitches, typos, or adding a new font.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2007, 06:15:09 pm »

Wouldn't it actually be slowing it down?
Since the game was originally NTSC (Japanese), and from what I've heard, NTSC code runs slower on a PAL system, so they speed it up to offset the speed loss. So, this patch would undo the changes.
(/end smartass) :D
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Bad Username

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2007, 02:21:42 am »
It actually runs at the same speed as before, just not choppy. It might be that they took the display code from the Japanese version and copied it back into the game and tweaked a few other things to make it run well. And my monitor does display at up to 85Hz, but not at the resolution I'm running, and LCD images just look trashy (I'm really interested in OLED displays though).

Kajitani-Eizan

• You couldn't kill me if I tried to let you
    • View Profile
    • Kajitani-Eizan's Patch Site
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2007, 04:33:37 pm »
It actually runs at the same speed as before, just not choppy. It might be that they took the display code from the Japanese version and copied it back into the game and tweaked a few other things to make it run well. And my monitor does display at up to 85Hz, but not at the resolution I'm running, and LCD images just look trashy (I'm really interested in OLED displays though).

i would suggest lowering your resolution until you find one that lets you step up from 60 Hz. what monitor and resolution are you using, anyway? my old monitor from 6 years ago could easily do 1024x768x32x85. seriously, once you switch away from it so you know the difference, 60 Hz CRT looks like total crap and almost hurts your eyes.

as far as LCDs looking trashy, you clearly aren't looking at the right kinds of LCDs :P especially if you look at a hi-res one with cleartype... wow, there's just no comparison.