News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 3152865 times)

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7920 on: December 31, 2021, 06:32:27 am »
Digimon World is in DIRE need of re-translating.
Some QOL improvements would be great too but honestly I would be fine with a version of the game where most of the conversations don't sound like nonsense.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

thedarkbanshee

• View Profile
« Reply #7921 on: December 31, 2021, 09:58:17 pm »
System N64 (Nintendo 64)

Game Extreme G

Game type - Battle

The main game is the predecessor to Mario Kart 8 as we know it. Some how the battle mode was made with arenas that turned out to be a complete waste of time as it is nothing more then frustrating wall crashing. If tracks were made with rightside up transitions into upside down oval tracks or the X style tracks that is already in the racing portion with out requiring a race and a specific direction to go the battle mode would actually work.

Mario kart 8 battle tracks could be made as this game is made for it and always was yet Mario kart 8 got it instead while this was destine to fail as a battle mode. If custom tracks can be made like Mario kart 64 now has along with Ditty kong racing why cant Extreme G. This is an amazing idea and if a battle mode was made like this I emagiene a full track editor for racing would happen just as well.

Anyone willing to make a tool. I know this gane would explode because battle already exists but the arenas were not made into proper arenas or track's which made it useless to play. I would love to see this game get new life.

To take it further for arenas like the game had remove all Sharp edges that block the driving path. A good arena would be like Mario kart 64's Big Donut made much bigger so you can bank into the center where bridges are added or perhaps banking loops over the lava sections.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 10:29:18 pm by thedarkbanshee »

Elit3Darth

• View Profile
Frogger for the SNES
« Reply #7922 on: January 03, 2022, 01:52:41 am »
Rom Hack request.... Would be cool if music can be added to Frogger for the SNES. I thought the game was a decent 16 bit version of the classic frogger but it lacked music. wonder if this is possible?

ps.. i hope i am posting this in the right spot. its my first post so i figured newcomer's board would be a safe spot.

atpstudios

• View Profile
« Reply #7923 on: January 03, 2022, 01:08:31 pm »
Pokemon Red and Green beta version! and a proper dx version of blue, red and yellow

With all the leaked content of the beta maps and sprites from the early development of pokemon and all the unused cut content I find it crazy that especially with how insanely popular pokemon is that a rom hack of this type hasnt surfaced yet!

The old original green version has not been actually fully translated at this point so id imagine that could be the first step then while they are at it it could be released as a vanilla experience of pokemon green for the first time.

Once we could get an english translation we could have some of the old cut pokemon, the sprites and depending on who ever gets to making the hack they could decide if they wanted to put back in the cut island and even use some of the older graphics from the leaked map of pokemon green and red, i think that would be amazing! again I am just mind blown that something like this hasnt been done yet. Basically what Im saying is the exact same thing someone already did with the leaked gold spaceworld demo, they made their own version based on the demo.

And finally a blue, red, and yellow dx version would probably be even more wanted since the games are already complete and out there and they are the first pokemon games. I am aware of the full color hacks of red and blue as well as blue and red dx but the only problem with these hacks is they decided to go with the generation 2 trainer sprites and pokemon gen 1 sprites which is fantastic but I cant help myself but want to keep going back to the originals to get the full nostalgic feel of seeing the gen 1 sprites. I was able to find a version of dx that can let you have gen 1 front sprites but still the back sprites have all been switched to gen 2.

Not only this but the dx versions I think changed way too much by adding in pokemon from the first 6 generations which again is cool but it would be nice to just make a vanilla red and blue game as most people would probably want it.

Someone could do this easily actually as there already is a complete overworld hack in full color for gen 1 you can use. and to be honest if it was too much work to add full color to the gen 1 pokemon front and back sprites they could just do what yellow did which was shade the pokemon with one color if it ended up being too much work like example Squirtle is blue, bulbasaur is green ect..

It might be too much to ask but it would be really cool also to have seperate patches to choose between having pokemon green sprites only, or blue, or yellow and maybe even a 4th personal best mix of the hackers choice of all the best sprites from all of the gen 1 games! I dont know I feel like there is a lot of potential

Finally just like blue and red dx had this vanilla dx version should include other quality of life hacks like
running shoes when pressing b
select button register
make all 151 pokemon available to capture

and to be honest maybe thats everything you would need to make it the best vanilla experience with a touch of modern updates to make it awesome

« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 01:14:15 pm by atpstudios »

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #7924 on: January 03, 2022, 07:37:55 pm »
Seeing Toadette from Super Mario Maker 2 in a SMB3 hack with all her functions from SMM2, and some new level designs.  :beer:

Edit: I found this video a while back and it'd be cool to see Toadette go through these e-reader levels from the GBA game of SMB3.

And here's Toadette's sprite sheet, in SMB3 style from Super Mario Maker 2.

Please someone make this a reality?  :angel: 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 07:18:50 pm by Googie »

indibil

• View Profile
« Reply #7925 on: January 04, 2022, 06:13:06 am »
Aria of Sorrow port for Megadrive / Genesis console  8)

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #7926 on: January 04, 2022, 06:34:51 am »
Pokemon Red and Green beta version! and a proper dx version of blue, red and yellow

With all the leaked content of the beta maps and sprites from the early development of pokemon and all the unused cut content I find it crazy that especially with how insanely popular pokemon is that a rom hack of this type hasnt surfaced yet!

The old original green version has not been actually fully translated at this point so id imagine that could be the first step then while they are at it it could be released as a vanilla experience of pokemon green for the first time.

Once we could get an english translation we could have some of the old cut pokemon, the sprites and depending on who ever gets to making the hack they could decide if they wanted to put back in the cut island and even use some of the older graphics from the leaked map of pokemon green and red, i think that would be amazing! again I am just mind blown that something like this hasnt been done yet. Basically what Im saying is the exact same thing someone already did with the leaked gold spaceworld demo, they made their own version based on the demo.

And finally a blue, red, and yellow dx version would probably be even more wanted since the games are already complete and out there and they are the first pokemon games. I am aware of the full color hacks of red and blue as well as blue and red dx but the only problem with these hacks is they decided to go with the generation 2 trainer sprites and pokemon gen 1 sprites which is fantastic but I cant help myself but want to keep going back to the originals to get the full nostalgic feel of seeing the gen 1 sprites. I was able to find a version of dx that can let you have gen 1 front sprites but still the back sprites have all been switched to gen 2.

Not only this but the dx versions I think changed way too much by adding in pokemon from the first 6 generations which again is cool but it would be nice to just make a vanilla red and blue game as most people would probably want it.

Someone could do this easily actually as there already is a complete overworld hack in full color for gen 1 you can use. and to be honest if it was too much work to add full color to the gen 1 pokemon front and back sprites they could just do what yellow did which was shade the pokemon with one color if it ended up being too much work like example Squirtle is blue, bulbasaur is green ect..

It might be too much to ask but it would be really cool also to have seperate patches to choose between having pokemon green sprites only, or blue, or yellow and maybe even a 4th personal best mix of the hackers choice of all the best sprites from all of the gen 1 games! I dont know I feel like there is a lot of potential

Finally just like blue and red dx had this vanilla dx version should include other quality of life hacks like
running shoes when pressing b
select button register
make all 151 pokemon available to capture

and to be honest maybe thats everything you would need to make it the best vanilla experience with a touch of modern updates to make it awesome

That reminds me. Is there a patch that only fixes glitches?

A complete set of dx versions could take time, it's coloring several hundred sprites.

I'd love more accurate names and terminology. Practically everything was changed, not just the Pokemon. The trainers, items, towns, even moves have name differences. Though retranslating the Japanese rom file is unlikely, too many text box limitations.

atpstudios

• View Profile
« Reply #7927 on: January 04, 2022, 11:55:16 am »
I dont think a patch exists to fix the glitches we only have the Japanese blue and yellow I guess that addressed some of the glitches.

But I mean if it was too much work to re color all the sprites then just shading them with one color would be fine I think just like how it was in pokemon yellow on a gameboy color

And yes I like the idea of having the original names better translated just for a original green though, I feel like for blue and red the ones we got it would be too much to ask for, we all have the nostalgia I think from how red and blue were changed anyway so to have a red and blue vanilla hack enhanced with quality of life hacks would be perfect! I WISH I had the time and knowledge to do this all myself or even JUST HELP anyway I can 

LC-DDM

• View Profile
« Reply #7928 on: January 04, 2022, 02:54:11 pm »
If you have to ask me on what would be relatively feasible in the hacking world, it'd be a 'feature-complete' version of Soul Blade that'd be brilliant to play around with, featuring stuff with varying degrees of complexity such as:

• Having All 11 Unused Characters Playable
►►► From Standard to Mabochie, Bangu and Diver going at it - they're just frilly little extras that wouldn't be too terribly out of place to be implemented.

• Expanding the Ring Size options
►►► Original size options are 8m minimum, 22m maximum - I propose changing it to 4m min, 50m max.

• Expanding the Life Bar options
►►► Original options are 90% min, 130% max - I propose changing it to 50% min, 300% max.

• Expanding the Battle Time options
►►► You know the drill - OG time min is 30 seconds up to 50 with infinite time as the usual option. Here, I propose 10-second increments from 30 up to 90, including 99 as the final option (before infinite time, at least).

• Select the Same Character Multiple Times in Team Battle Mode
►►► The game originally only lets you have one of each character in the mode, rather than duplicates. All I ask is that restriction be removed.

And after that, it's just the basic stuff done in case the memory card can't read a save off the original game:

• Standard Secret Characters Playable
• All Weapons Unlocked

Now, sure, it's a big ask - but I assume, since we already have GameShark codes for some of these, would it be too difficult to implement on an actual ROM Hack?

I wouldn't know - I've got no skill and all the ideas, as the thread states!

Enma09

It‘s a Gamecube‘s Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO Sprite Color Fix Possible???
« Reply #7929 on: January 05, 2022, 11:23:39 am »
Hello, I‘m new in this but, Is possible create a romhack could be fix the strange color palette problem in CvS2 gamecube version?
See the difference with the original Dreamcast version:

https://preview.redd.it/79a17w4bwa081.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=6819b41eab8197b284ce6c4aa0d51a086ccef0e7

E.Signal

• View Profile
« Reply #7930 on: January 06, 2022, 04:21:08 pm »
Rushing Beat Ran/Brawl Brothers for the SNES needs to be looked at. There's some problems in this game that leads to cheap deaths. Problem 1, health items not being used as soon as you pick them up. In RBR/BB, When you pick up health items, you have to throw them or manually consume them by hitting the attack button again. This leaves you wide open for enemy attacks since you can't attack while holding health items. Problem 2, inconsistent hit detection. The original Rushing Beat/Rival Turf had this problem too. In other beat em ups you can land attacks on enemies from a slight angle, either above or below them, but that's not the case in RBR/BB. You have to be perfectly lined up with an enemy for your attack to hit, but even that doesn't work sometimes since the enemies attacks are faster than yours and most of the time your attacks go right through them while theirs knock you down which leads me to the last problem, the lack of invincibility frames. When you're getting up from a knockdown or in the middle of a throw, you have no i-frames and it doesn't help that your special attacks are too slow to use in situations like this, so you're helplessly sitting there watching enemies knock you down over and over again until you lose a life. Can someone please fix this game  >:(
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 04:39:15 pm by E.Signal »

SCD

• RHDN Supporter
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7931 on: January 08, 2022, 06:43:40 am »
Several years ago me and rainponcho made a hack for Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium that restores Giant Baba's portrait and head for edit mode.

But it makes you wonder if maybe the info for him for the default roster is still in the ROM somewhere, but it's completely disabled.

That's why I would like to see someone take a look inside the ROM from top to bottom to see if that info does exist, if it does, try and make a hack that restores Giant Baba back to the default roster as a playable character once again.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7932 on: January 08, 2022, 12:15:16 pm »
That is a fairly large request for a SNES game, indeed is a fairly large request for a commodore 64 game.
I assume you have loaded up the ROM in a tile editor, set it to relevant graphics mode (might even get a hint from other things in the VRAM/OAM viewers) and a reasonable tile size selection (you tend not to get anything too exotic on the SNES compared to later things that had various options) and pressed down/page down a lot, before repeating for any other possibly valid graphics settings. Compression is a thing on the SNES and tends to be a bit custom so hopefully there is not that.

I would try a more targetted approach. Two main ones
1) Try to make a character select cheat (or indeed the portrait/edit modes). Most times play as boss or hidden character cheats are this and any random extras that could be there but disabled because it was too much of a pain to redo pointers also appear. Holes in the range normally available, values immediately after (or before if that is a possibility) or end of the range are more common for options here, though it can also be random so be prepared.
2) Find where the general concepts are for the things you care about and scan through those individually. If there are extra values in stats tables, in move lists and whatever else then that can be an indicator for something to reconstruct. Finding stats tables is reasonably easy.

Certainly a fully commented disassembly will find it basically by default but I am not sure how many of those we can expect for Fire Pro Wrestling (others playing along it is actually one of the most hacked game franchises and for volume of hacks and depth people go into pulling apart games I would have up there with something like Advance Wars or some of the lesser Square Enix titles, so not impossible to see but not going to expect to see it too terribly soon).

robertybob

• RHDN Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7933 on: January 08, 2022, 01:13:00 pm »
I would very much like for Conkers Pocket Tales on the GBC to be re-written (text only) to be more like the Conkers Bad Fur Day we got on the N64.

Always bugged me that the GBC game was so cutesy and pleasant, whereas only N64 owners could experience him at his rudest and crudest.

SCD

• RHDN Supporter
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7934 on: January 08, 2022, 04:42:20 pm »
Alright, it's no big deal. I just thought it would've been a neat idea to see if that info was still in there and if it is, see if there's a way to fully restore him back to the roster.

Sorry about that.

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #7935 on: January 08, 2022, 07:03:39 pm »
Another $100 idea for a hack could be for NES American Dream. I love how it got translated and i am thankful for it, it's a fun little gambling game. But i was thinking as i was playing it. This game is made for Wario lol. I mean if you just change the name to wario in the translation and character sprites and movie cut scenes. And title screen to may be Wario's Greedy dream? It would be funny and a different look at the game. I would love for wario to have another game as i am sure i am not the only wario fan on this site. Definitely should look into this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6rS0QnGUQ8

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #7936 on: January 08, 2022, 07:23:52 pm »
Arcade-Elite: This hack idea NEEDS to be done!  :D ;) :angel:

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7937 on: January 09, 2022, 12:58:08 am »
I would very much like for Conkers Pocket Tales on the GBC to be re-written (text only) to be more like the Conkers Bad Fur Day we got on the N64.

Always bugged me that the GBC game was so cutesy and pleasant, whereas only N64 owners could experience him at his rudest and crudest.

Well, Conker's Pocket Tales was released about a year before the primary game's switch from E- to M-rated content.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #7938 on: January 09, 2022, 12:12:10 pm »
That's true. Plus there should be a bit of a graphical update to make Conker and Berri look more like their Bad Fur Day counterparts for continuity sake at least (and more consistency)

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7939 on: January 09, 2022, 04:57:58 pm »
I just finished King of Dragons (SNES) and was left wondering... What's the point of character level in the character select screen?! Perhaps we could have a hack that, after a game over, the character's level is saved to be used in a new run.

Additionally, it would be nice if it was easier to break free from Frozen state or being harassed by Slimes or Mimics.