News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 3157937 times)

julayla

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7880 on: December 12, 2021, 10:40:05 am »
I'm not sure if it exists, but is there a chance that there can be an undub version of Mega Man Battle Network 5 for the DS out there? I mean I do like the voices from the Japanese version more (and wished this was made alongside the voiceless one too).

Cris1997XX

• View Profile
« Reply #7881 on: December 12, 2021, 01:27:26 pm »
Bugs to fix in Mother 3 [GBA]:

-Let Thomas' Bazaar restock after Flint obtains the Drago fang, like after any other mini-cutscene.

-Allow Lucas and Duster to maintain items from the prologue and chapter 1 respectively.

-Fix a bug that prevents the Sanchez brothers from all facing a particular direction (can't remember which it is).

-Correct some uses of the word "some" in relation to items.
Lucas and Duster losing their items from Prologue and Chapter 1 is not a bug, since they aren't meant to be used after. They'd be pretty much useless for Chapter 4 anyway lmao

December 12, 2021, 01:43:06 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

-Let Thomas' Bazaar restock after Flint obtains the Drago fang, like after any other mini-cutscene.

-Allow Lucas and Duster to maintain items from the prologue and chapter 1 respectively.

-Fix a bug that prevents the Sanchez brothers from all facing a particular direction (can't remember which it is).

Lucas and Duster losing their items from Prologue and Chapter 1 is not a bug, since they aren't meant to be used after. They'd be pretty much useless for Chapter 4 anyway lmao
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 01:43:06 pm by Cris1997XX »

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #7882 on: December 12, 2021, 03:06:12 pm »
I found many hacks on Final Fight CD that enable infinite lives.

What about infinite credits? Having only 5 is a nightmare. And add being able to start from P2.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7883 on: December 12, 2021, 05:51:43 pm »
I'm not sure if it exists, but is there a chance that there can be an undub version of Mega Man Battle Network 5 for the DS out there? I mean I do like the voices from the Japanese version more (and wished this was made alongside the voiceless one too).

It is possibly the oldest undub out there, certainly the first one I ever did, and from what I recall works via the classic undub method that does for some 95% of DS games -- grab sound_data.sdat from Japanese ROM, overwrite one in NA/PAL countries ROM, rebuild if necessary, play as you will.

You tend not to find patches for undubs, or at least won't find them widely shared, as barring things with the Japanese audio already present in the base game (see Castlevania undub cheats/menu activated cheats for a DS example) the patch necessarily includes copyrighted audio data which is a bit of a no no in ROM hacking world, and as the basic hack is so easy (if you can unzip and rezip files you can unpack and repack a DS ROM, replacing a file along the way) then yeah. What patches you do find will tend to be ones made by people that did not know, for partial undubs and for audio tweaks.

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Dreamwidth
« Reply #7884 on: December 14, 2021, 05:59:44 am »

In that case, how are these any different?

Chapter 1:

-Boney, renewing in ch. 4.

Chapter 2:

-Duster, renewing before leaving Club Titiboo (end of ch. 4).
-Kumatora, renewing upon joining Salsa (end of ch. 3), and then before leaving Club Titiboo.

Chapter 3:

-Salsa, renewing at the Chimera Laboratory (early in ch. 7).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 06:06:28 am by McKnight »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7885 on: December 14, 2021, 06:27:45 am »
Ideas for Monster Rancher 1 & 2 (maybe for DX too)
1. A hack that restores the "easy mode" (American) lifespan (increase all lifespan by 100 weeks)
2. Add the info Form and Style to the Ranch menu screen when applicable. There's no reason that should require to go into Monster Data. (MR1 doesn't have Form stat visible, so that SHOULD be made visible)
3. Change the combining formula to create unlockable monsters so it accepts any monster as long as the required item is in the formula.

Ideas for Monster Rancher DS:
1. Make the game Save & Continue rather than Save & Quit
2. I don't think it's in yet, but maybe add soft reset.
3. Reduce or remove the anti-savescumming penalty they put into it.

All Monster Rancher games:
1. Increase text speed
2. Output the whole text if B/X is pressed or held. (but still require A/○ to advance the text)

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Dreamwidth
« Reply #7886 on: December 14, 2021, 06:37:08 am »
Earthbound (SNES):

PRIMARY CHANGES:

-Allow players to use an item instead of tossing one before collecting an enemy gift.

-Allow players to trade items between characters, instead of having to transfer each item individually.

-Upon selecting an item, set the cursor to whoever has it.

-Weapons and some other items should default upon collection to whoever they pertain to, looping back to Ness if everyone between them and Poo is overloaded.

-Seek and restore cutscenes such as the two showcased here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML9hBkE_ZPA&t=606s

BONUS CHANGES:

-Thunder & Storm should have “they/their” as their pronouns. (When numb (likely from Flash), “body is” should become “bodies are”, and when feeling strange, “is” should become “are”; similar for solidification, etc.)

-Change Poo’s attack command to “Slash” when he equips the Sword of Kings.

-Winters should not be invaded until after Apple Kid is abducted. 

(Most players won't have any reason to go there to begin with, except maybe to get some strong equipment early on, but in case they do, they should still have weaker foes to fight while preparing to cast Teleport alpha to leave.  This should probably be a simple matter of relocating a flag to that part of the game, although any NPC dialogue built around Bubble Monkey should be altered, especially with other characters now accompanying Jeff.  On the other hand, maybe that's what also ties in with the enemies found near Rainy Circle, so this may need to be split into two separate flags.)

-Set a flag after the party’s roboticization, to allow the player characters to hurt themselves with a Rust Promoter if someone uses one while confused. (Another flag should be set after Giygas is defeated, in order to disable this.)

E.Signal

• View Profile
« Reply #7887 on: December 14, 2021, 11:00:36 am »
I found many hacks on Final Fight CD that enable infinite lives.

What about infinite credits? Having only 5 is a nightmare. And add being able to start from P2.

This and a attack delay fix, FFCD's attacks always felt off. For example, when you punch or grab and knee enemies, there's severe delay when you press the attack button, other versions of FF didn't have this problem. In the original arcade FF, attacks come out faster when you press the button, the Sega CD version needs to do the same. It would be cool if these changes could be compatible with Pyron's color hack, the one that makes the colors look like the original arcade version.   

SCD

• RHDN Supporter
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7888 on: December 14, 2021, 01:35:18 pm »
Another thing I would like to see done to the Japanese version of FFCD is restore the missing animated backgrounds for stages 3 & 4, I think they're in this version, but the coding for them might be messed up and it needs to be fixed.

I also would like to see a hack for Super Mario Bros. Deluxe that changes the sprites of the Boo enemy in the Boo Race mode to make it look more like its SMB1 counterpart from the Super Mario Maker games as well.

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Dreamwidth
« Reply #7889 on: December 14, 2021, 04:55:21 pm »

It is possibly the oldest undub out there, certainly the first one I ever did, and from what I recall works via the classic undub method that does for some 95% of DS games -- grab sound_data.sdat from Japanese ROM, overwrite one in NA/PAL countries ROM, rebuild if necessary, play as you will.

You tend not to find patches for undubs, or at least won't find them widely shared, as barring things with the Japanese audio already present in the base game (see Castlevania undub cheats/menu activated cheats for a DS example), the patch necessarily includes copyrighted audio data which is a bit of a no-no in the ROMhacking world, and as the basic hack is so easy (if you can unzip and rezip files you can unpack and repack a DS ROM, replacing a file along the way), then yeah. What patches you do find will tend to be ones made by people that did not know, for partial undubs and for audio tweaks.

Might it be a better idea to re-translate just the text from the original Japanese version?

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #7890 on: December 14, 2021, 06:10:28 pm »
These games would be cool to see in English.  :angel:

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7891 on: December 15, 2021, 08:00:15 am »
Might it be a better idea to re-translate just the text from the original Japanese version?

You could go that way, indeed many do for things where bugs or gameplay changes happened that others did not desire and it will probably be the way megaman ZX on the DS gets undubbed as it lost a lot of voicework coming out of Japan. However in this case it really is a trivial tweak where you unpack the ROM, overwrite a sound file with one sourced from your region of choice, repack the ROM and go from there for the purposes of playing it*. The translation here was just fine/in keeping with the prior series norms so it would be a lot of effort (even on the DS where you can often cut a few corners vs older stuff that necessarily saw you have to put in real work) for no great gain. It would also be the way I probably go if I were to have to do it for the GBA versions of this title, and the Japanese version of the DS maybe supports a few other GBA cartridges for bonus chips and whatever (you can go ponder that nightmare of a list on your own time https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_DS_games_with_GBA_connectivity#MegaMan_Battle_Network_5 , and for differences https://www.therockmanexezone.com/wiki/List_of_differences_in_Mega_Man_Battle_Network_5_Double_Team_DS ).

*if doing the super swish professional ROM hacker with all the polish you might see about injecting the sound file such that minimal changes, perhaps even none if the sizes are right, happen to the underlying file system.

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #7892 on: December 15, 2021, 11:25:51 am »
Be great if someone could improve the graphics of atari games on the NES roms like food fight and Planet Smasher. And also add the full music to Intellivsion NES roms like Thunder Castle or Thin Ice.

Intellivision Thin Ice and Thunder Castle missing music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qoh9YAcH-Vc&t=1631s

Atari Food fight, Planet smasher could hack better graphics?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOC4LfRRQvE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuHTy-hVqcU

« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 02:59:44 pm by Arcade-Elite »

Jarlaxle

• View Profile
    • My Twitch Channel
« Reply #7893 on: December 16, 2021, 10:59:45 pm »
G'day folks! I love how I was able to double the enemies and bosses in the OG Streets of Rage by starting a 2-player game on the hardest setting, and immediately killing player 2 and taking on the doubled foes solo. Anyhow, I noticed in the Arcade Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder it spawns way more enemies if you have four players, but unfortunately the game must check how many people are playing constantly and thus once I let the other three die, the extra enemies stop spawning as you move through the level. I use Retroarch, and was just wondering if someone knew how to trick the game into thinking there are four players at all times, so thus I could play a solo 'Mania' Mode like I do in SoR? Most other Arcade games have the same amount of enemies whether solo or 4-player//etc. Many thanks if someone knows how to do this!

YoYoKirby

• View Profile
« Reply #7894 on: December 17, 2021, 12:26:23 pm »
A hack for the SNES Donkey Kong Country trilogy that keeps your life and Banana/Bear Coin count after you save and reset, like the GBA ports.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7895 on: December 17, 2021, 12:59:00 pm »
If you are going back to Streets of Rage I should probably point you at Beats of Rage. Could make such a mode in that if you wanted.
Also if you are sticking with the originals it should be easy enough to make cheats that hold 2p life and lives at 0 such that you don't need to either beat them up or chuck them down a pit.

Anyway interesting question. If you were willing to play with assembly then that would be one thing, if you want something that could be done with more basic cheat approaches I don't really have a convenient/guaranteed path. Said cheat approaches would be used to determine where such a hack goes to (if there are more enemies on screen then they have health somewhere, find what writes that for the "new"/"because extra players" enemies and somewhere further back will be a check on either player 2/3/4 health or some kind of activity indicator and changes accordingly, the assembly hacker/game genie code would most likely target this check to always be in hard mode by changing the check).
If you can "press start to join" when playing (can't remember what goes for Golden Axe) then take a savestate before and after, do as little else as you can (maybe do it before you move on after clearing an area) and compare, maybe also idle for a bit and compare to see what stayed the same without changing the player count. You might get lucky and find the difference/few enough differences that you can brute force something, and if you have/the emulator fakes a multitap and abilities for 3 and 4 to join in then so much the better for more comparison data.

Cowboy method, though a quick one and one that can be twisted easily enough to other games. Take an emulator with Lua support. At the end of an area/screen where it says to advance on you could find something that indicates that, have a Lua script revert you back to the previous advance onwards indicator, reset your magic, life and lives (possibly also keep any rideables, presumably also do score). Can now refight what you just fought (or if you told it to take a savestate say 20 seconds later then that, which possibly adds a speed component to the challenge)

This also presumes there is no easy level editor you can use to add things in or possibly change any flags from "only spawn if 2p/3p/4p present" to "always spawn".

Cowboy method the second. Assuming it is not a literal idle check then it might be possible to force 2p lives count at say 2 but leave life at 0hp to constantly have them in the game but dying. This could fake out a check to see if people are present. You will however then possibly be always getting death sounds, which might be less than ideal (even if the death sounds of streets of rage cause amusement among my friends to this day).

Possible alternative. You find a cheat that halves your health/caps heath at half (on hardware the cheats are probably a bit limited but "if greater than then do this" should be within emulator options). Might trouble that 100-man kumite feeling if you are heading for that, and even without that mean you don't have to play as defensively but still a popular thing for people to do in challenge runs. You can go one further and give enemies double health in a similar manner if you can find their health bar -- set a flag somewhere else in memory, when it gets low the first time then reset the health/maybe do one of those nice extended bars if you can and then lose the flag, reset the flag when they finally die for the next one to do it again.

skite2001

• View Profile
« Reply #7896 on: December 17, 2021, 04:25:55 pm »
Maybe someone could manage to hack the default start sequence of the GBA AGS Aging Cartridge?
Instead of booting straight into the aging test it would be better to show the selection screen first.
could be already done if L+R is presset at booting and saving the settings, but if your battery is dead, the settings are gone :(

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #7897 on: December 18, 2021, 07:57:35 pm »
The SNES Dead Dance/Tuff E Nuff is a pertty good fighter. But sadly they took out the story mode dialogue in the USA version. Can some one English translate it? Also could just copy the US endings dialogue as well. Ips patch for Dead Dance? One of the few best fighters on SNES.

jobo77

• View Profile
« Reply #7898 on: December 20, 2021, 11:09:37 am »
Japanese Akumajou Dracula with western Castlevania title screen?

In the japanese version there's an easy mode which I think makes the game so much more fun and less frustrating. I'm surprised no one has made a hack combining the two? I would love if someone would want to, to me it would be the ultimate version of the first Castlevania.

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Dreamwidth
« Reply #7899 on: December 20, 2021, 01:22:15 pm »
Earthbound [SNES]:

Restore the two missing cutscenes specified here, and look for any others that may have been similarly commented out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML9hBkE_ZPA&t=606s