News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2861089 times)

Brutapode89

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7720 on: October 11, 2021, 09:49:48 pm »
I think GBA Mana game might be only marginally ahead of Phantasy Star 3 in the "no hope, don't bother" for me in the hacking possibilities to improve stakes.

Going after text might not do much, though I will have to look (if it is a nice graphical effect it could be blanked out, if plain transparent text then replace with spaces might be a thing). Assuming you don't care to force cheat the level counter down if doing the low level thing (don't know if this is some kind of save the level up for a quick heal ploy) then I would probably go with https://www.romhacking.net/documents/361/ (again an older emulator but should be easy enough to convert to something like no$gba debug) except rather than going back to the part of the ROM there will presumably be a check on experience or something (easy enough to find for a cheat search, might even be an existing cheat out there) that you can disable the call for. Alternatively whatever fiddles with the OAM or BG to display it on screen can probably be NOPed out instead.

If it is purely a screenshot thing then do check it is not left on another layer that you can disable. Not ideal but depending upon the emulator (assuming you are using one) then it is easy enough to disable layers for a second or two.

Improving AI is a tricky task at the best of times. There is a reason why it sucks in most games. Best you can usually reasonably go in for when hacking is make the AI faster/hit harder/have a greater lock on radius/have a greater number of invincibility frames or indeed go the other way and nerf the enemies a bit. Hacking in some more advanced AI is possible for an action RPG type deal but a lot of work to do well/create a more competent setup.

Not sure how in game explanations/guides/tutorials and questionable level design you can't maybe backtrack to later are related but both those are within reason.

Changing rewards for quests is within reason, as is maybe some kind of crazy grind to unlock (passive is easier than active display new text but new text is hardly out of reason either). If EXP/kill count/money = blah then insert item into inventory is a thing.
If the content is unlocked by a flag in memory (say it is an extra quest/building/whatever) then that is also easy enough.

Re: Super Gameboy stuff.

That will depend entirely what was done for the hacks -- the supergameboy in most commercial efforts was underutilised considerably

( https://blog.loveconquersallgames.com/post/2350461718/fuck-the-super-game-boy-introduction being my usual link of choice for SGB stuff, what was done and what the potential was)
If the hackers leant into it the clawing it out becomes much like backporting DSi to DS, game gear to master system, GBC to GB, FDS to NES...

Several of those games, and many others, do however have colour hacks (often using the DX naming scheme, though pokemon can be the exception) for which many are on
http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&genre=&platform=8&game=&category=&perpage=200&order=&dir=&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go

Ah? Or maybe we could hack a Super Game Boy bios to make sure it accept full colors for Game Boy Color games compatible on a Super Game Boy like Zelda: Link's Awakening, Pokémon Gold & Silver and make sure Game Boy Color games not compatible on Super Game Boy like Wario Land 3, Zelda: Oracle of ..., Pokémon Crystal works on the hacked Super Game Boy, anything like that.

fenix00

• View Profile
« Reply #7721 on: October 12, 2021, 12:06:47 am »
New Levels and Bosses for Armadillo NES.
New girls, maybe Sailor Moon hentai characters for Gals Panic ARC.
Greeting.

Sarah Shinespark

• Creator of Arcana: Seal of Rimsala
    • View Profile
« Reply #7722 on: October 12, 2021, 12:16:48 am »
I think GBA Mana game might be only marginally ahead of Phantasy Star 3 in the "no hope, don't bother" for me in the hacking possibilities to improve stakes.

Going after text might not do much, though I will have to look (if it is a nice graphical effect it could be blanked out, if plain transparent text then replace with spaces might be a thing). Assuming you don't care to force cheat the level counter down if doing the low level thing (don't know if this is some kind of save the level up for a quick heal ploy) then I would probably go with https://www.romhacking.net/documents/361/ (again an older emulator but should be easy enough to convert to something like no$gba debug) except rather than going back to the part of the ROM there will presumably be a check on experience or something (easy enough to find for a cheat search, might even be an existing cheat out there) that you can disable the call for. Alternatively whatever fiddles with the OAM or BG to display it on screen can probably be NOPed out instead.
I ended up using that command line debugger after an hour of fiddling. Got up to a successful breakpoint before I realized I don't know GBA assembly  :P I'll have to research the opcodes, but thanks for the useful tutorial.  At least I have a starting point now.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7723 on: October 12, 2021, 02:03:25 am »
Ah? Or maybe we could hack a Super Game Boy bios to make sure it accept full colors for Game Boy Color games compatible on a Super Game Boy like Zelda: Link's Awakening, Pokémon Gold & Silver and make sure Game Boy Color games not compatible on Super Game Boy like Wario Land 3, Zelda: Oracle of ..., Pokémon Crystal works on the hacked Super Game Boy, anything like that.
Unlikely. There were some experiments around here a while back to try booting GBC games on a GB... it did not go well. The GBC also had considerably more power than a GB at points (clock speed, some memory stuff, colours) and the hardware was different enough to the SGB that there is not going to be any kind of desirable conversion option.

I ended up using that command line debugger after an hour of fiddling. Got up to a successful breakpoint before I realized I don't know GBA assembly  :P I'll have to research the opcodes, but thanks for the useful tutorial.  At least I have a starting point now.
GBA assembly, which is to say ARM7TDMI, is not so bad.
http://www.coranac.com/tonc/text/asm.htm
http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm
https://www.cs.rit.edu/~tjh8300/CowBite/CowBiteSpec.htm
I have a bunch of others and some worked examples of things in http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=14708.0 if you wanted too.

Equally you are probably not doing anything drastic beyond NOPing something fiddling with the OAM/BG control areas. For those playing along at home NOP is short for No operation. Some CPUs will have it, some assemblers will call it a virtual instruction and other times you get to concoct a do nothing instruction (mov R1,R1 I believe being the traditional one for the GBA -- it will take the R1 register and copy the contents to [dramatic reveal] the R1 register and waste a bit of time doing that (the other reason for NOP instructions but we will leave discussions of NOP slides and time wasting for another day).

Jean-Claude Van Damme

• View Profile
« Reply #7724 on: October 12, 2021, 04:06:43 am »
I had an Idea for a game that was a "Combination" Game. Think like a mix between Disney's Adventures in the Magic Kingdom (Overworld) and Nintendo World Championship (Levels). What I wonder is, How tough would it be to do, and what are the limitations. It seems as though they were able to just put whatever damn games they wanted on the championship cart, so... what, could we have a game that has a level of Kirby's adventure AND a level of mike Tysons punch-out AND a level of Star Tropics ALL on one cart but instead of a level select screen you walk around a park to choose which game you wanna play? I'm assuming world championship has some sort of special hardware or something to run such a wide variety of games. I wonder if you would need to make sure they were all games that use the same mapper chip or if that doesn't matter. Do any of you know if all the games on the world championship cart use the same mapper or not? Just curious.

October 12, 2021, 04:30:03 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Oh! What Really needs to be done is Strider NES needs to be hacked so it's not all jankey anymore. What's with that? It's like they had the idea for the angled floors they were just never able to implement it properly so they just rolled with it. I mean, games like Super Mario 3 and Ninja Ja Ja Maru Ginga Daisakusen did it no problem. I wonder how hard THAT is to fix. Seems like a biggie.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 04:30:03 am by Jean-Claude Van Damme »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7725 on: October 12, 2021, 10:50:59 am »
I am not entirely sure what you are aiming for there.

I figure it is either

a) you want a ? in 1 type cart for some reason (usual answer is get a better flash cart/emulator).

b) you want to do one of those challenge run games that flick between levels of games as screens end or at some predetermined point.

Technically related so I will leave that for now.

The NES has a somewhat unique setup that in some cases for some games allows you to do this more easily than the hideously large amount of effort most would assess it as if having to contemplate conventional assembly approaches.

This unique setup is anybody that learns of NES game hacking/emulation/flash carts/homebrew will soon encounter mappers. These are things that allow the paltry sum of storage/addressable space (and some other things) that the baseline NES has to expand its horizons a bit. They do this by having segments of memory able to be swapped out at will at the cost of having to manage that and some complexity in the cart.
It just so happens that some games have the same mapper (or same for these purposes) and code arranged in such a manner that you can swap out one major bank for another and have the game effectively boot the other one mid flow (there is RAM to consider in this as well), or indeed select it at the start if you can squeeze a selection menu in a donor bank.

If the ? in 1 thing is what you want then you could theoretically define another mapper to do it but no flash cart or emulator would support it (see fun and games with "HK mappers") so not much good there.

There is probably a link I could find that details what mapper corresponds to what game (and region thereof). Not sure what goes for anything more suitable for combinations, some of the people doing the combined challenge things might have an idea but also it might be well ran dry already.

Option 2 in all this.
If you are using a PC emulator then many will have Lua options. Most of those include the ability to load a new ROM and matching savestate. Find something that corresponds to a screen change/level change/high score/death... dealer's choice and have it watch for that and then load the other ROM and matching savestate. There are even some scripts already done for this for various emulators. Any game you like, savestates, cheats, control remapping, additional logic ("don't shoot the blue ones" being the sort of thing you could do as a challenge if you liked), emulator level fiddling... all good here.

MysteryMan3D

• View Profile
« Reply #7726 on: October 12, 2021, 03:12:23 pm »
I don't want my MK Trilogy Random Arcade Tower request to be ignored, please.

I reached out to the people who made UMK3 Plus to see if they could do it, but they refused for two reasons:
1. They only hack arcade ROMs.
2. They've worked so hard and so long on UMK3 Plus, that when they release its next beta they're taking a very long hiatus.
I also contacted that Mr2 guy who created the MK Trilogy Tournament Edition hack on this site about this, but he also refused to do it because his hack is aimed strictly toward improving multiplayer.

So here's my request again:
Random arcade towers in Mortal Kombat Trilogy for PS1 and/or PC.

The team behind the arcade ROM hack "Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 Plus" were able to do it:
https://mortalkombatplus.com/games/ultimate-mk3
Specifically:
"Randomizer Option makes all 4 towers random at choose your destiny screen, where default action is to pull from several arrays of static tower opponents. Greatly increases replay value!!"
I really want that feature for Trilogy, and they already stated they have no plans to touch Trilogy anytime soon. Could someone here please pull it off? Or at least show me how to do it if it's not as hard as it sounds?

EDIT:
Oh and could you throw in random stage order as well while you're at it?

I wish I could just make my own thread about this, because what's the point of having this thread exist if, like someone told me before, 99% of all requests in this thread are ignored anyways? Sorry but it smells like mod corruption to me. Random arcade towers can't be THAT hard to implement, can it?

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7727 on: October 12, 2021, 04:29:56 pm »
99% being ignored is probably generous. Percentage is higher still.

Every hacker is inherently short on time and long on ideas of their own, playing a new game usually only adds to that list. Doing someone else's does not make their list get any shorter. Any projects that do get taken on are ones that personally interest the hacker, ones that might take 5 minutes, and sometimes things have already been done so people can point to them. Personally I visit this thread for game suggestions mostly, and will occasionally dash out a general overview of what such a hack would entail and an approach (or indeed why it is not likely to happen either at all or without Herculean effort, bordering on Sisyphean). You probably also have to figure how many people are playing on each console around here -- PS1 and PC is not the most popular, but more so than some, and PC at least has some wonderful tools for debugging (PS1 is not the worst either).

This seems like a reasonable request, and as it is essentially doing things the game already does then might not be the worst thing in the world.

Doing it properly would probably be a hard thing for a first project.
Doing it with more of a cheat focus is a different matter, you might even be able to spin that up into an edit you do externally. This would mean randomising cheat values each time, or same for the edit but fairly reasonable thing for most things running ROMs.

Anyway I would probably start by doing a character selection cheat for you and player 2. A great number of fighting games will just have player 2 (and beyond) being AI and not something special/extra/different.
Character selection cheats are usually not that bad to make and are made at the selection screen, or just after. Bonus is this can also unlock hidden characters, beta characters, sometimes play as bosses (more on that shortly) and the like, and works on things with a character selection screen in general and not just fighting games.
Three possible approaches that might work or become necessary depending upon the game and way it is coded
1) if you are lucky then merely hovering over the character is what does the deed. Flick back and forth doing search for change, staying still and searching for things that stay the same.
2) As above but you have to press a or whatever to confirm your selection
3) As above but you have to actually start a match with all players confirmed. Do remember you have savestates so you can happily set other things up and only change the character selection.

Options for playing as bosses for reference tend to be either just after the last player character numbers, just before maybe if that is a thing or slammed right to the end of the range. That said you might have to try everything in the range.

Knowing both of these locations and the rough values they can have you can start on the tower. Check that player 2 indeed does change accordingly (remember you have cheats so give yourself full health/crazy damage/whatever cheats there are and savestates to go back if you mess up)

If you are lucky there is a simple line of data in the ROM that gets filled in for each successive battle and you can randomise this.
Personally I would bust out a debugger at this point and do a break on write for the second player character selection. You could try noting what each successive battle is though and searching for that.
If you find this data and it is indeed data* you can edit easily then great, hopefully you can do the cheat thing or ROM edit from here yourself. You could do a cheat to change the current player randomly (or in an order)

*any schoolboy programmer would recognise such a setup as you describe as candidate for linked list and while I might not bet on the 16 bit era efforts at mortal kombat having that then PS1 and PC was firmly in C programming country. If indeed it s an array like your quoted section then while rather different devices I would wager more on the array side of things than linked list family or other possibilities.

Anyway if you can't find the list by normal searching then you will have to play debugger. Whatever writes the selected opponent player will stem somewhere along the line from the ROM somewhere. Welcome to tracing. I don't have a nice guide for the PS1 but it is much the same whether it is a commodore 64 or PC game released yesterday
https://www.romhacking.net/documents/361/
You might get away without following it right to the source if you find a more whole selection of data to search for in the ROM.

If doing a proper hack you would instead change the game's code to pick a random one each time, or whole selection if the game works that way. Bonus is the thing you just did with characters is a direct result so should not be too hard to subvert.
I don't know what will happen for stages in this but probably something similar will get to be done, and what results in character selection will most likely trip the stage selection value at the same time. If you happen to find the stage value as part of this then you can probably also make that a cheat if you wanted.

For someone versed in the techniques above it might not even be that involved a project. If you are learning, and it would be a reasonable one to learn with, then maybe a bit longer.

Not sure what we are suggesting for PS1 debuggers these days (don't know if no$psx ever got something nice here, the other no$ debuggers for other systems are if not the gold standard debuggers then seriously up there). PC stuff varies as well -- if it is PS1 vintage then it might well work with older tools like ollydbg without having to do more fun things like radare2, ghidra or even busting out IDA (the free version includes older PC standards so there is that), also not sure what we are suggesting for basic cheat search on PC games (every time I wander into PC cheats world I find myself shaking my head that people pay not inconsiderable money for things debuggers and other such tools will do better and for free).

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
« Reply #7728 on: October 12, 2021, 04:50:11 pm »
Here's a hack idea specifically for SMAS that'll go with both the Lakitu fix and the Brick Block fix patches. First off, the excess Bowser clones in that games version of The Lost Levels seem completely out of place, as they're supposed to be a character named Bowser's Brother that appears instead of a clone of Bowser that's different from the Fake Bowsers. According to TCRF, there's an unused palette for him shown here (in animated sprite form): https://tcrf.net/File:SMASSMB1-bowsersbrother.gif

With the right amount of code tweaking, this will make the Bowser clones of Worlds 8-4, 9-3, and D-4 turn into Bowser's Brother. Combine it with an optional patch that gives the trees from levels like World 6-3 of the original Super Mario Bros. and Worlds 3-3, 7-3, and C-3 of The Lost Levels their proper palette and the aforementioned Lakitu and Brick Block patches, and the end result will be one step closer to being a definitive version of Super Mario All-Stars.

MysteryMan3D

• View Profile
« Reply #7729 on: October 12, 2021, 05:19:41 pm »
99% being ignored is probably generous. Percentage is higher still.

Every hacker is inherently short on time and long on ideas of their own, playing a new game usually only adds to that list. Doing someone else's does not make their list get any shorter. Any projects that do get taken on are ones that personally interest the hacker, ones that might take 5 minutes, and sometimes things have already been done so people can point to them. Personally I visit this thread for game suggestions mostly, and will occasionally dash out a general overview of what such a hack would entail and an approach (or indeed why it is not likely to happen either at all or without Herculean effort, bordering on Sisyphean). You probably also have to figure how many people are playing on each console around here -- PS1 and PC is not the most popular, but more so than some, and PC at least has some wonderful tools for debugging (PS1 is not the worst either).

This seems like a reasonable request, and as it is essentially doing things the game already does then might not be the worst thing in the world.

Doing it properly would probably be a hard thing for a first project.
Doing it with more of a cheat focus is a different matter, you might even be able to spin that up into an edit you do externally. This would mean randomising cheat values each time, or same for the edit but fairly reasonable thing for most things running ROMs.

Anyway I would probably start by doing a character selection cheat for you and player 2. A great number of fighting games will just have player 2 (and beyond) being AI and not something special/extra/different.
Character selection cheats are usually not that bad to make and are made at the selection screen, or just after. Bonus is this can also unlock hidden characters, beta characters, sometimes play as bosses (more on that shortly) and the like, and works on things with a character selection screen in general and not just fighting games.
Three possible approaches that might work or become necessary depending upon the game and way it is coded
1) if you are lucky then merely hovering over the character is what does the deed. Flick back and forth doing search for change, staying still and searching for things that stay the same.
2) As above but you have to press a or whatever to confirm your selection
3) As above but you have to actually start a match with all players confirmed. Do remember you have savestates so you can happily set other things up and only change the character selection.

Options for playing as bosses for reference tend to be either just after the last player character numbers, just before maybe if that is a thing or slammed right to the end of the range. That said you might have to try everything in the range.

Knowing both of these locations and the rough values they can have you can start on the tower. Check that player 2 indeed does change accordingly (remember you have cheats so give yourself full health/crazy damage/whatever cheats there are and savestates to go back if you mess up)

If you are lucky there is a simple line of data in the ROM that gets filled in for each successive battle and you can randomise this.
Personally I would bust out a debugger at this point and do a break on write for the second player character selection. You could try noting what each successive battle is though and searching for that.
If you find this data and it is indeed data* you can edit easily then great, hopefully you can do the cheat thing or ROM edit from here yourself. You could do a cheat to change the current player randomly (or in an order)

*any schoolboy programmer would recognise such a setup as you describe as candidate for linked list and while I might not bet on the 16 bit era efforts at mortal kombat having that then PS1 and PC was firmly in C programming country. If indeed it s an array like your quoted section then while rather different devices I would wager more on the array side of things than linked list family or other possibilities.

Anyway if you can't find the list by normal searching then you will have to play debugger. Whatever writes the selected opponent player will stem somewhere along the line from the ROM somewhere. Welcome to tracing. I don't have a nice guide for the PS1 but it is much the same whether it is a commodore 64 or PC game released yesterday
https://www.romhacking.net/documents/361/
You might get away without following it right to the source if you find a more whole selection of data to search for in the ROM.

If doing a proper hack you would instead change the game's code to pick a random one each time, or whole selection if the game works that way. Bonus is the thing you just did with characters is a direct result so should not be too hard to subvert.
I don't know what will happen for stages in this but probably something similar will get to be done, and what results in character selection will most likely trip the stage selection value at the same time. If you happen to find the stage value as part of this then you can probably also make that a cheat if you wanted.

For someone versed in the techniques above it might not even be that involved a project. If you are learning, and it would be a reasonable one to learn with, then maybe a bit longer.

Not sure what we are suggesting for PS1 debuggers these days (don't know if no$psx ever got something nice here, the other no$ debuggers for other systems are if not the gold standard debuggers then seriously up there). PC stuff varies as well -- if it is PS1 vintage then it might well work with older tools like ollydbg without having to do more fun things like radare2, ghidra or even busting out IDA (the free version includes older PC standards so there is that), also not sure what we are suggesting for basic cheat search on PC games (every time I wander into PC cheats world I find myself shaking my head that people pay not inconsiderable money for things debuggers and other such tools will do better and for free).
You actually just gave me an idea!

Maybe someone on Gamehacking.org can make a cheat code where Player 2 is always controlled by the AI. Then I just do VS matches against it using Random Select. Pretty much how "Single Fight" works in MKX and MK11. I'll go over there and make that request...

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7730 on: October 12, 2021, 06:28:17 pm »
It is the sort of thing you can try for yourself, indeed you probably should rock up somewhere with the ability to say you gave it a shot yourself (for the fractional percentage that get done then if you have actually put some effort in yourself it goes a lot better).
Do the character select but against AI and humans. There will often be a little flag* for AI (or maybe the hardness of the AI in number form) which if it is the case should reveal itself to the savestates and "has changed, has not changed" cheat search method.

*same thing being tripped if there is some kind of "player idle, AI takes over" type deal.

It is more tedious than anything else. A good hacker might contemplate where it is more likely to be in memory to narrow down quicker (I would not be surprised in the slightest to see it very near all the other character stats rather than somewhere else in memory), and there are paths you can more readily take with assembly.
Possible alternative. The flag might change if this is a "press start/insert coin to join" type game, though again the three scenarios with present, confirmed and actually in the game are possibilities.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7731 on: October 12, 2021, 07:28:13 pm »

Super Game Boy is more than just the BIOS. It has actual (monochrome) GB chips on it.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jean-Claude Van Damme

• View Profile
« Reply #7732 on: October 13, 2021, 12:10:06 am »
I am not entirely sure what you are aiming for there.

I figure it is either

a) you want a ? in 1 type cart for some reason (usual answer is get a better flash cart/emulator).

b) you want to do one of those challenge run games that flick between levels of games as screens end or at some predetermined point.

Technically related so I will leave that for now.

The NES has a somewhat unique setup that in some cases for some games allows you to do this more easily than the hideously large amount of effort most would assess it as if having to contemplate conventional assembly approaches.

This unique setup is anybody that learns of NES game hacking/emulation/flash carts/homebrew will soon encounter mappers. These are things that allow the paltry sum of storage/addressable space (and some other things) that the baseline NES has to expand its horizons a bit. They do this by having segments of memory able to be swapped out at will at the cost of having to manage that and some complexity in the cart.
It just so happens that some games have the same mapper (or same for these purposes) and code arranged in such a manner that you can swap out one major bank for another and have the game effectively boot the other one mid flow (there is RAM to consider in this as well), or indeed select it at the start if you can squeeze a selection menu in a donor bank.

If the ? in 1 thing is what you want then you could theoretically define another mapper to do it but no flash cart or emulator would support it (see fun and games with "HK mappers") so not much good there.

There is probably a link I could find that details what mapper corresponds to what game (and region thereof). Not sure what goes for anything more suitable for combinations, some of the people doing the combined challenge things might have an idea but also it might be well ran dry already.

Option 2 in all this.
If you are using a PC emulator then many will have Lua options. Most of those include the ability to load a new ROM and matching savestate. Find something that corresponds to a screen change/level change/high score/death... dealer's choice and have it watch for that and then load the other ROM and matching savestate. There are even some scripts already done for this for various emulators. Any game you like, savestates, cheats, control remapping, additional logic ("don't shoot the blue ones" being the sort of thing you could do as a challenge if you liked), emulator level fiddling... all good here.
Hmmm... Interesting about the Lua. That's cool and might be a viable option considering what it is I did have in mind. I Designed a whole series of sprites several years back that look super awesome but obviously without someone to build the thing. I cant do anything with them. This was my Idea.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/metroid/images/5/5d/Captain_N_DVD_Menu.png/revision/latest?cb=20130506111928

I hope that image showed up. I'm a newb... lol but basically a captain n game where you play through metroid, castlevania, megaman, kid icarus and zelda levels and stuff but you can use your blaster and pause the game with your belt and dash and stuff. seemed to me almost like you'd have to build something like that from scratch but the Lua option you mentioned seems almost like it could make something like this a reality!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 12:17:00 am by Jean-Claude Van Damme »

The Beaky Buccaneer

• View Profile
« Reply #7733 on: October 13, 2021, 09:14:52 am »
I hope that image showed up. I'm a newb... lol but basically a captain n game where you play through metroid, castlevania, megaman, kid icarus and zelda levels and stuff but you can use your blaster and pause the game with your belt and dash and stuff.
I would love to see what you can achieve with this idea. :thumbsup: I grew up watching Captain N and, though it was generally cheesy and pretty inaccurate, the strength of the concept and its sense of fun always carried it really well regardless (for anyone who doesn't know the show, imagine Tron for kids, featuring a guy who gets pulled into his NES and becomes part of a hero-team made up of various NES-famous video game characters). Considering why and how the original version of the character* was created, it would be a fitting project!

*The story behind the creation of Captain N is detailed in "The Man Behind Captain Nintendo", which is the official memoir (published freely online) of the first editor of the US' Nintendo Power magazine. Chapters 4, 5, and 7 cover Captain N, but the entire piece is a fascinating read throughout, telling lots of stories and busting some myths from the late-1980s/early-1990s video games industry.

ghettowario

• View Profile
Request: Patch to Fix Jet Force Gemini Controls
« Reply #7734 on: October 13, 2021, 05:11:21 pm »
I've been wanting to play Jet Force Gemini since I was a kid.  I have tried to play it multiple times over the last 2 years but have always walked away frustrated due to the unintuitive default controls, reverse vertical targeting, and terrible sensitivity/dead zone when using the targeting control.  I have tried to use both the mupen64plus Retroarch core and Project 64 to fix the controls but have not come away with something that is playable. The re-release of this game through Rare Replay just reinforces the idea that this game's controls can indeed be updated with something more modern and palatable.

I have no coding knowledge myself.  My request to the community is for a kind soul to create and release a patch for this Nintendo 64 game that does 2 simple things:

1) Only when holding the button down for targeting, the controls are not reversed.  The patch will make it so that up = up and down = down, when the targeting button is pressed.

2) Only when using targeting, the default sensitivity/deadzone is changed so that the target cursor moves around with a decreased speed with something that is actually usable for targeting.  The default speed is super fast, unusable, and trying to change the sensitivity/deadzone through an emulator not only does not fix the targeting speed to something usable but also makes the character slower, sometimes removing the ability to run entirely, depending on one's settings.

I love this community and it is my hope that someone with coding knowledge reads this and can create a patch that can address the two issues mentioned above.  Thank you for your time and consideration.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #7735 on: October 13, 2021, 05:41:44 pm »
Yeah, Captain N with the Mario & Zelda cartoons were my jam back in the day. I use to watch most of the episodes with the original songs intact (and unfortunately, like any young kid, I didn't have a VCR to record the episodes with original music audio). It would be quite interesting to see how a fan game of Captain N would work. Besides, there was an opportunity to bring in Captain N in Smash Ultimate, but sadly, we can only dream.

99zeroes

• View Profile
« Reply #7736 on: October 13, 2021, 06:08:16 pm »
A hack idea for Perfect Dark 64. I know that Peaches Castle is already playable for Goldeneye but what about adding it for Perfect Dark's combat simulator for all multiplayer scenarios?

Jean-Claude Van Damme

• View Profile
« Reply #7737 on: October 14, 2021, 07:01:38 am »
I would love to see what you can achieve with this idea. :thumbsup: I grew up watching Captain N and, though it was generally cheesy and pretty inaccurate, the strength of the concept and its sense of fun always carried it really well regardless (for anyone who doesn't know the show, imagine Tron for kids, featuring a guy who gets pulled into his NES and becomes part of a hero-team made up of various NES-famous video game characters). Considering why and how the original version of the character* was created, it would be a fitting project!

*The story behind the creation of Captain N is detailed in "The Man Behind Captain Nintendo", which is the official memoir (published freely online) of the first editor of the US' Nintendo Power magazine. Chapters 4, 5, and 7 cover Captain N, but the entire piece is a fascinating read throughout, telling lots of stories and busting some myths from the late-1980s/early-1990s video games industry.

yeah all the sprites i made for it look just like the characters. (I don't expect you to just believe me. lol ill post them. they just happen to be on a external hard drive I need to get out of storage. maybe tomorrow) since i copied the style exactly, i realized that kevin with his skinny figure and long legs and the stance he has... he looks just like the dude from Rolling Thunder! So, I thought that may be a good game to hack for his Light gun sections. If you wanted it to have flexability though it might be best to just do the kevin parts as a from scratch home brew game. Then, that whole thing they got going now where they have randomizers that go cross game, like between super metroid and ALTTP. where you have to Collect one of the items in one game then it flips you back to the other game to use it to find the next item for the other game..... you see what im driving at???  :woot!:
So all the kevin parts are just Kevin traveling between locations in videoland to find one of the characters from that game that can help him locate an item he needs to complete a task in the overworld/videoland! Then you could hack those games to where you just get an item from their already existing game but change dialog and a few other things to customize it to fit in with the game. you know like making the opening dialog for the game acknowledge the existence of videoland and Kevin seeking the aid of that games protaganist or something like that. This way since theres a lot of games you'd be using, the hacking wouldnt be as daunting because it would be a very small part of that game youd need to alter. You get to play your favorite characters and use thier abilities and kevin has his own with his own levels. that are all themed like each game. get to the end of it where you meet that character. since kevin knows all the secrets for all the games he knows the location of the item and drops intel on them about how to find it. Then your off to find it and return it to kevin as samus or link or whoever. then the coolest part and probably the most difficult, would be, making one item from all of those games each that exist and coincide harmoniously with each other in the same game! idk this was the idea section. just throwing crap out there. just fun to think about

Tibinator

• View Profile
« Reply #7738 on: October 14, 2021, 06:59:20 pm »
its possible port for "Street Fighter X Mega Man" ???

joje

• View Profile
« Reply #7739 on: October 15, 2021, 01:22:23 am »
The Mega Attack ability of StarForce in every Battle Network  GBA