News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2512738 times)

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #760 on: August 03, 2013, 01:32:55 am »
Complete game hack of 7th Saga with either a true sequel or different story line to it. Such an underrated game

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: August 03, 2013, 01:58:27 am »
I'd love to see an overhaul hack of 7th Saga.  The balance hacks out are pretty damn good but going above and beyond would be even better.  It's one of the more underrated games and definitely deserves something else to it.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #762 on: August 03, 2013, 02:14:34 pm »
Was thinking about doing a Guardian Legend with a more dark atmosphere to it. Still got a few translations I gotta do and a Zelda one which I haven't touched in a bit. Anyone out there want to do a 7th Saga one? It would be in high demand :D

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #763 on: August 06, 2013, 06:25:17 pm »
A complete graphics overhaul of Ice Climber to a Mario theme.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: August 07, 2013, 09:58:57 am »
Playing Mega Man Zero I noticed a few annoyances that could be dealt with hax.
1. Remove the need of ranks as a mean to get Ex Skills and instead make it so you have to complete your mission in a certain way to gain the Ex Skill (for example: Phoenix Magnion's Tenshouzan would require you to destroy the generators in an specific order.)
2. Lower Energy Crystal requirements for Mega Man Zero's Cyber Elves (the two games that followed it had lowered, so...)
3. Insert "Command Dash" option in the menu of the first 3 games (The fourth had it, so...)
4. A patch to insert a way to disable Ultimate Mode's Charge Commands (Zero 2 had the Ultimate Form as an armor rather than a mode, so...)
5. A simple patch that makes all recipes available in Mega Man Zero 4, but still requires parts.

Yoshistar95

• Hi :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: August 07, 2013, 03:55:36 pm »
I'm realizing just now after a member from the other forum had said thart Gradius II NES doesn't have a rising difficulty for each loop beaten, Gradius NES has one and it gets intense in loop 5.

Here's my idea:

A more difficult version of Gradius II NES!
Here are the things that can help to make it harder:

-More bullets fired from enemies
-Enemies moves faster
-Less Power Up capsules
My channel

Maker of Super Mario Bros. The New Super Adventure. (SMB 1 level hack)

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 09, 2013, 01:45:53 am »
Not really an idea than it is a suggestion or question.

You guys are familiar with Crystalis, correct?  You guys also know how the game allows you to save anywhere you wish except inside caves?  Would it be possible to change the game to allow that, or did the programmers do that because saving in a cave would save garbage data that would render your game useless?

Same question applies to FF3 NES, especially since how you can -only- save in the overworld, where like a quarter of the game takes place.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 09, 2013, 09:13:30 am »
In the case of FF3, it was probably intentionally limited to stop you from save-scumming. FF2 also disabled the save command outside the overworld.
(I've heard some people suggest the game was going to have a save point near the end of the first part of the final dungeon, which would've been nice considering it's one damn long dungeon, but indoor save points were not to be introduced until the next game.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 09, 2013, 12:32:04 pm »
That makes sense, but I still think that those games can get pretty long before you get to save again.  But on a technical standpoint, I assume that they are merely disabled, and not because of glitches, correct?

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 09, 2013, 09:11:35 pm »
Yes, it's not because of glitches. It makes the cave more threatening. When low on health, the developers didn't want you to save & quit back to the entrance for an easy escape back to town to heal so easy. Even RPGs of later generations has that rule, restricting caves to have save points instead of allowing to save just anywhere. There are some exceptions, like Pokémon, where saving saves exactly where you left off instead of back to the entrance.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 09:31:44 pm by Jeville »

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 09, 2013, 10:58:24 pm »
Alright, good to know.  Thanks!

Another hack idea that I have would be to take the Famicom/Sunsoft version of Fantasy Star and implement the music from the NES/Tengen version, preferably by completely transplanting the sound driver and sound data.  That way you have both the superior music (courtesy of Masaharu Iwata) and the superior game/graphics.

mkwong98

• View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 10, 2013, 04:56:46 am »
I don't like the way everyone can learn all magic spells in FF6, so I want to limit this. I think it will be nice if a character can only learn spells with MP cost lower or equal to the magic power of the character.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 10, 2013, 11:17:59 am »
That would make a pretty cool hack. On the other hand, I think there is already a patch that allows all characters to have their own natural magic learning chart. Maybe that one could be modified for similar effect.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 10, 2013, 10:28:08 pm »
Speaking of Final Fantasy, I think a hack of the first two NES ones that makes them behave more like FF3 would be good.  Or alternatively, a hack of FF3 that makes it resemble the first two, since that might be easier than tinkering with the engine of the first games.

kiwasabi

• View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 13, 2013, 12:20:24 am »
Battletoads hack with new levels. I want a level devoted to the dragon you can ride on level 1. I bumped an old thread about rom hacking Battletoads, looks like it's a tough nut to crack and I think lots of people hate Battletoads for its difficulty.

pinoyzz

« Reply #775 on: August 13, 2013, 04:40:18 am »
Please make a hack of tekken advance gba..add more characters or story..please if its possible..sorry for my english:-D

FrankensteinsRobot

• View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 18, 2013, 04:21:51 pm »
Hey guys, I recently added the Monster Party Prototype reconstruction hack to the site (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1516/) Theres only ONE missing aspect to this original version. In the prototype level 1 end boss stage, its supposed to be a 'Planet of the Apes' character on horseback which you can see in this video starting at 3:05- http://youtu.be/VRdlhjdZUZQ

The levels background has been reconstructed in the prototype hack, only the boss remains the stupid 'pumpkinhead ghost' where it should be the horse riding Planet of the Apes guy.....by any chance would anyone be willing to take on the job of putting this original boss back into this hack in order to make it the "complete" experience? This would make my LIFE if anyone can do this! I hear the PotA boss character is actually sitting in the games code still.....

Also, would anyone be up for doing a quick title screen hack of Contra Force to the original title Arc Hound, as seen in this video: http://youtu.be/CLGl-VBnv-8

I think that would be a cool title screen hack cause the game doesnt really feel like a Contra game, it should be Arc Hound!!!!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 05:29:46 pm by FrankensteinsRobot »

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 19, 2013, 02:58:41 pm »
Like my other posts, this is more of a technical question rather than an idea.  Anyway, are any of you familiar with the Mega Man 3 "VRC6 remix" OST someone did on YouTube?  This made me wonder, I know that Famitracker is pretty much useless for any sort of NES development, or is it?  Is it possible for someone to reverse engineer, so to speak, a Famitracker song, then rewrite it to work on an NES game?  Of course, the old sound driver would have to be removed and replaced with a new one.  But yeah, would disassembling a Famitracker soundtrack's code, then re-assembling it for a proper NES game be the best way to get FT music in a game?

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 22, 2013, 02:28:50 am »
Like my other posts, this is more of a technical question rather than an idea.  Anyway, are any of you familiar with the Mega Man 3 "VRC6 remix" OST someone did on YouTube?  This made me wonder, I know that Famitracker is pretty much useless for any sort of NES development, or is it?  Is it possible for someone to reverse engineer, so to speak, a Famitracker song, then rewrite it to work on an NES game?  Of course, the old sound driver would have to be removed and replaced with a new one.  But yeah, would disassembling a Famitracker soundtrack's code, then reassembling it for a proper NES game be the best way to get FT music in a game?
First you mean RushJet1 (bless his music and skills), Second, yes, but you would need to reconfigure everything after installing the famitracker sound engine, if the intern space allows you to do so.  Infidelity was able to insert in his Zelda hack the music engine of Megaman 4 for example.
Also HertzDevil is developing on a program which allows the insertion of music for Megaman 3-6.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 22, 2013, 09:08:04 am »
If I remember correctly, famitracker uses page $200 in ram and some zero page registers as well , not too common for most NES game's soundtracks. Unless you build your game around that from the ground up, or the game happens to have its registers on page $200 for the soundtrack, You would have to reconfigure the ram address values in the famitracker .nsf file to different addresses in ram, most likely to another page where the old soundtrack used to be (many NES games use pages $100, $600, or $700 for their soundtrack). Then you would have to change a couple of pointers in the rom that actually play the music to match the new nsf, and probably a couple of other things. Sorry if this is not the best explination.