News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2347759 times)

Titney

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7200 on: January 01, 2021, 05:32:48 am »
Hack for Pokemon Picross GBC that silences the in-game music but keeps the sound effects (like the BGM OFF option in Mario Picross.)

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: January 01, 2021, 04:16:46 pm »
You know what system is very underrated and deserves some fan translation? The Sufami Turbo and its games. I know they're not as good as the SNES/Super Famicom games, but the games that they had are pretty fun to play with. And I was wondering if there will be someone who can translate them?

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #7202 on: January 01, 2021, 04:51:21 pm »

Here's an easy hack idea, that's not impossible to do as there is an editor utility for SMB-2 USA that actually can let you do it.

>Create an extra castle Level that leads to Wart in world-7  'after the first castle level 7-2' 
where you beat Hawk Mouth and then enter to finish the first castle level there.  < Make 7-2 end there.'

'Make the Second castle level go to 7-3' where you have to complete another castle level-like-Maze just before you make it to the finale to beat King WART at.

World -7 in Super Mario 2 USA only has 2 levels in the Official, but extend the game and make it have 3 levels for world 7 all together.

(This hack can then be called SMB-2 USA 'The Definitive Complete Version' or something etc.)

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 05:01:49 pm by SkyLizardGirl »
-Blaster Master Hacker
-Learning, hacking Mario 3 currently

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #7203 on: January 01, 2021, 05:20:02 pm »
I was listening to the Krang Boss theme in the arcade version of TMNT, the video is here. But there's something I noticed, in the NES games of TMNT2 and TMNT3 somma the keys are off, it doesn't sound the same exactly like the arcade version.

TMNT 2 Krang Music

TMNT 3 Krang Music

It'd be cool if someone that's NES music savvy would fix a couple of notes to make it sound exactly like the arcade Krang Boss Theme. :D     

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: January 01, 2021, 05:21:53 pm »
I have an idea for Bucky o hare on the NES. Make it so that it's possible to get through blue planet without having Blinky that way players aren't stuck behind the ice blocks without Blinky's shots to destroy them.

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: January 02, 2021, 09:31:27 am »
We need a fan translation of Sakura Wars 2(Saturn) also a bunch of other Japan only Saturn games

furious programming

• Senior Wheel Reinventer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: January 02, 2021, 12:58:05 pm »
I'm new here so... hi all!  ;)

For two years I have been strongly associated with the tetris scene for the NES console. Apart from being a hardcore player (including a two-time vice-champion of Poland — 2019 and 2020) with a few maxouts achieved. So far, I've played around 50,000 games, most in NTSC version. I also created software for the Polish Championship — on the daily basis I deal with programming applications for Windows, using Lazarus.

I love classic Tetris, but after such a long time with NES Tetris, I'm really sick of this goddamn game. Mainly due to a defective and unfair randomizer, which makes the record breaking very long, but also because of wasting time watching animations (Game Genie helps) and many more. Besides, this game has many bugs, and the PAL version is too short due to the wrong translation of the gravity speeds. Meh...

That being said, I had the idea to improve this game and make it stop being annoying. However, considering that I have no knowledge and virtually no experience with hacking ROMs, I'd like to ask if any of you would be willing to spend your time implementing patches. Is there anyone here who would like to create a hack? The modification would apply to both versions of the game (PAL and NTSC).

• Unify the DAS — the charging time of the DAS and the automatic shift after charging should be the same for both versions. DAS should work in both versions as it originally works in PAL (in NTSC it should be a bit faster). I was able to do it.
  • Acceleration of soft-drop — this change will allow you to drop blocks faster, also at level 19. I did it for both versions.
  • Improve gravity in PAL — this modification concerns the recalculation of the fall time of blocks at all levels, which will allow the game to be of a length comparable to the NTSC version. Done and tested.

The above changes were quite easy to implement, because they only required replacing a few values. I've played a lot of such modified versions and the experience is much more enjoyable. Unfortunately, other more or less important corrections cannot be made by me due to lack of knowledge and experience. Below what would be desired (random order):

• Changing the randomizer algorithm — the current randomizer is junk, it should be replaced with something like a 7-bag (something like that, as the typical 7-bag would be too easy). I have a better algorithm developed, but I do not know how much memory is available in RAM, so I will not give details for now.
  • Improved transition detection — now, as a result of a bug, the transition from level 18 to 19 is done after clearing 130 lines instead of 190. Start levels 10 to 19 are affected by this problem - transition line calculations are incorrect and shorten the gameplay.
  • Determining initial seed — this is required for both players to have the same set of tetrominoes in tournament matches. Such a modification has already been prepared by one of the players — a seed in the form of six hexadecimal characters is selected on the title screen. Don't know about the IPS patch, I only got the ROM on Discord.
  • Adding some counters during gameplay — a TRT and BRN counter would be very useful, as well as remembering transition score (transition to level 19, not the first transition). There is already a hack with such functionality.
  • Adding hard-drop functionality — this function would be very useful for speedruns and could be assigned to the up arrow, just like in From Below game (homebrew), but without the ghost-tetromino.
  • Curtain animation removal — the point is that after reaching the topout, the stack remains visible all the time until the start button is pressed.
  • Removal of all animations — I'm talking about rocket animations and summary animations after a successful Type-B game.
  • Removal of the demo — the demo should not be run on the title screen so that you can enter initial seed slowly and accurately.
  • Add menu on pause screen — when the game is paused, the screen goes black and should contain a resume and reset menu. The reset option should allow you to reset the game so as not to waste time on an intentional topout.
  • Preview of pressed buttons — preview in the form of a mini-controller should be allways visible during gameplay, which will make it easier to detect cheaters.
  • Support of 7-digit score counter — some of the above-mentioned changes will make it possible to obtain scores well above the million-point barrier, so it would be good if such scores could be displayed in the form of number (without letters, like currently with a special Game Genie code).
  • Redesigning the game interface and layout — Currently, the game looks poor, so it fits to improve the graphics to make it look modern (minimalist dark theme).

The game also has a few bugs and shortcomings that should be fixed:

• Calculating the transition lines — mentioned above.
  • The level meter goes crazy — reaching level around 32, the level number starts to get messy.
  • Blocked tiles — by placing a piece vertically in such a way that it does not fit on the screen (at the early levels) and then cleaning a few lines to lower the stack, in the second invisible row from the top tiles are seized, which means that when the next piece appears and rotated to vertical, it cannot be moved to the side of the playfield. Only when a few rows fall, it is possible to shift it. I discovered this bug recently while trying to maxout from level 0.

That's probably all. I don't know what of the above-mentioned things can be done and if anyone would like to do it — it's just a wish list. For my part, I can offer information on the changes that I have introduced so far, designing and creating a new layout, as well as comprehensive testing of the modified versions (PAL and NTSC). I know it's a lot of work, but it won't hurt to try and find people. ;)

I don't know if this is a good place for this post, because I would prefer to start my own thread and look for people in it, but I'm new here and I don't know what is right and what is not. Ok, if anyone is interested, please reply. If anyone has any questions or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 01:05:09 pm by furious programming »

Errie100

• View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: January 02, 2021, 04:27:21 pm »
I had in mind that there aren't that much GameCube mods and not that much 3D fighting games so how about a "Mortal Kombat deception" mod?

eriknoc

• View Profile
« Reply #7208 on: January 03, 2021, 07:27:28 am »
SNES Street Fighter Zero/Alpha 2:

I would love to see a few things added to SFC/SNES Street Fighter Zero/Alpha 2:
* Make Shin Akuma selectable
* add an exit option for both Arcade and VS Modes, plus a return to character selection for VS Mode

I would also love to see all or any of these, but would probably be much more difficult to implement:
* add Evil Ryu (I believe Normal Ryu already has most animation frames needed.  Would only have to copy the body frames from Akuma for the warp.)
* add Training Mode
* add Group Battle (Match Play, Elimination) (like the one in SSF2)
* add Tournament Mode (like the one in SSF2)
* add Survival Mode

I'm not sure how much wiggle room we have in this game to be adding much of anything, though.

SNES/Genesis Super Street Fighter 2:

Training and Survival modes would be a welcome addition to these games as well.

If ambitious enough, maybe even add in the ability to do Super moves, like in SSF2T.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: January 03, 2021, 12:54:41 pm »

* add an exit option for both Arcade and VS Modes, plus a return to character selection for VS Mode

Docrow did this, but it's not well polished. The exiting in VS Mode should happen, but I guess that is from the same reasons Evil Ryu and etc cannot be implemented: ROM space. Also they launched this for SFC/SNES before USA got the Evil Ryu Update.

SNES/Genesis Super Street Fighter 2:

Training and Survival modes would be a welcome addition to these games as well.

If ambitious enough, maybe even add in the ability to do Super moves, like in SSF2T.

Same reason: Rom space. That's why the closer we got of a Survival Mode is the Expert Ladder (Fight all 16 characters in Genesis). If I were skilled enough, I should do a SSF2T hack, since Akuma was properly converted to SNES size in Turbo Revival for GBA.

January 03, 2021, 01:22:04 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Captain Commando [PSX]:

A 4-player Mode exists, it's laggy as hell but exists.

Thing is, 3 and 4-player modes only are able WHEN ONLY THE PS1 MULTITAP IS CONNECTED TO THE PS1.

My idea: Make the game recognize any multitap (Connected a PS2 Multitap in the PS2, not working. Emulated a Multitap in the PS3 official emu, not working).

Also, Localization because why the hell not?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 01:22:04 pm by RealGaea »

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #7210 on: January 03, 2021, 05:35:52 pm »
I was playing a Mappy hack just and came up with an idea, since the A and B buttons are used to open and close doors, how's about holding down the B button to run like in the Mario games?  :D

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: January 03, 2021, 08:34:27 pm »
So, I just played the GBC Harry Potter games and here's a few things I'd suggest for a romhack:
→ First and foremost: A freaking RUN BUTTON.
→ Speed up transitions (screen and battle transitions)
→ Reduce the requirement to unlock the new spell level (maybe by 1/3)
→ Either move hidden items placement to more conspicuous places. A number of times a rare Wizards Card is in a non-descript tree rather than that suspicious bush away from everything or a marked desk.
→ Fix up EXP and Sickle rewarding. There are some dangerous enemies that gives less EXP than chicken! CHICKEN!
↑ But keep the Chicken EXP. 40 EXP per chicken on guaranteed encounter of 3 chickens in a short segment is just too good to pass once you know of it.
→ Allow Ron and Hermione (?) to use Informous. It's a free spell that is only used to log enemy info.
→ Have the FOEs disappear faster than normal. It takes too long for them to be gone.
→ Remove "Bad" Card Combos from the first game (what's the point of them being there, other than troll the player?!)

BIGLOU07

• View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: January 03, 2021, 10:35:01 pm »
Here is one if nobody is already working on it. After playing the great English patch of Undercover Cops for the SNES that was submitted to this website, it would be great if someone were to hack the rom so that it can gain 2 player support. It was a shame that it was cut out of the original SFC release, but it would be great if it could be added to the game. It will probably take a lot of effort especially with all SNES/SFC slowdown, but iI know a lot of people would want it.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: January 03, 2021, 11:21:19 pm »
I'm new here so... hi all!  ;)

For two years I have been strongly associated with the tetris scene for the NES console. Apart from being a hardcore player (including a two-time vice-champion of Poland — 2019 and 2020) with a few maxouts achieved. So far, I've played around 50,000 games, most in NTSC version. I also created software for the Polish Championship — on the daily basis I deal with programming applications for Windows, using Lazarus.

I love classic Tetris, but after such a long time with NES Tetris, I'm really sick of this goddamn game. Mainly due to a defective and unfair randomizer, which makes the record breaking very long, but also because of wasting time watching animations (Game Genie helps) and many more. Besides, this game has many bugs, and the PAL version is too short due to the wrong translation of the gravity speeds. Meh...

That being said, I had the idea to improve this game and make it stop being annoying. However, considering that I have no knowledge and virtually no experience with hacking ROMs, I'd like to ask if any of you would be willing to spend your time implementing patches. Is there anyone here who would like to create a hack? The modification would apply to both versions of the game (PAL and NTSC).

• Unify the DAS — the charging time of the DAS and the automatic shift after charging should be the same for both versions. DAS should work in both versions as it originally works in PAL (in NTSC it should be a bit faster). I was able to do it.
  • Acceleration of soft-drop — this change will allow you to drop blocks faster, also at level 19. I did it for both versions.
  • Improve gravity in PAL — this modification concerns the recalculation of the fall time of blocks at all levels, which will allow the game to be of a length comparable to the NTSC version. Done and tested.

The above changes were quite easy to implement, because they only required replacing a few values. I've played a lot of such modified versions and the experience is much more enjoyable. Unfortunately, other more or less important corrections cannot be made by me due to lack of knowledge and experience. Below what would be desired (random order):

• Changing the randomizer algorithm — the current randomizer is junk, it should be replaced with something like a 7-bag (something like that, as the typical 7-bag would be too easy). I have a better algorithm developed, but I do not know how much memory is available in RAM, so I will not give details for now.
  • Improved transition detection — now, as a result of a bug, the transition from level 18 to 19 is done after clearing 130 lines instead of 190. Start levels 10 to 19 are affected by this problem - transition line calculations are incorrect and shorten the gameplay.
  • Determining initial seed — this is required for both players to have the same set of tetrominoes in tournament matches. Such a modification has already been prepared by one of the players — a seed in the form of six hexadecimal characters is selected on the title screen. Don't know about the IPS patch, I only got the ROM on Discord.
  • Adding some counters during gameplay — a TRT and BRN counter would be very useful, as well as remembering transition score (transition to level 19, not the first transition). There is already a hack with such functionality.
  • Adding hard-drop functionality — this function would be very useful for speedruns and could be assigned to the up arrow, just like in From Below game (homebrew), but without the ghost-tetromino.
  • Curtain animation removal — the point is that after reaching the topout, the stack remains visible all the time until the start button is pressed.
  • Removal of all animations — I'm talking about rocket animations and summary animations after a successful Type-B game.
  • Removal of the demo — the demo should not be run on the title screen so that you can enter initial seed slowly and accurately.
  • Add menu on pause screen — when the game is paused, the screen goes black and should contain a resume and reset menu. The reset option should allow you to reset the game so as not to waste time on an intentional topout.
  • Preview of pressed buttons — preview in the form of a mini-controller should be allways visible during gameplay, which will make it easier to detect cheaters.
  • Support of 7-digit score counter — some of the above-mentioned changes will make it possible to obtain scores well above the million-point barrier, so it would be good if such scores could be displayed in the form of number (without letters, like currently with a special Game Genie code).
  • Redesigning the game interface and layout — Currently, the game looks poor, so it fits to improve the graphics to make it look modern (minimalist dark theme).

The game also has a few bugs and shortcomings that should be fixed:

• Calculating the transition lines — mentioned above.
  • The level meter goes crazy — reaching level around 32, the level number starts to get messy.
  • Blocked tiles — by placing a piece vertically in such a way that it does not fit on the screen (at the early levels) and then cleaning a few lines to lower the stack, in the second invisible row from the top tiles are seized, which means that when the next piece appears and rotated to vertical, it cannot be moved to the side of the playfield. Only when a few rows fall, it is possible to shift it. I discovered this bug recently while trying to maxout from level 0.

That's probably all. I don't know what of the above-mentioned things can be done and if anyone would like to do it — it's just a wish list. For my part, I can offer information on the changes that I have introduced so far, designing and creating a new layout, as well as comprehensive testing of the modified versions (PAL and NTSC). I know it's a lot of work, but it won't hurt to try and find people. ;)

I don't know if this is a good place for this post, because I would prefer to start my own thread and look for people in it, but I'm new here and I don't know what is right and what is not. Ok, if anyone is interested, please reply. If anyone has any questions or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Some of those seem like fine fixes, additions and whatnot, or things to note as shortcomings in a review (or review as a competitive player). However for the effort for most of them (numbers rolling over on the PC is nothing too drastic, just change a few variable types, changing on something as vintage as the NES and that potentially makes for a bigger challenge) I would think it would be better to make the relevant mode in one of the various almost infinitely customisable versions for PC and whatever else (assuming tetris corp have not smacked them all into oblivion), especially if the goal is some kind of competitive play. Everybody can probably get a given ROM but start shattering the record base between ROM hacks and not and watch it evaporate or amount to nothing.
Some of those you could probably make without causing the unfair or note debate (granted I would question the requirement to share a seed in multiplayer -- I can see why some would want that but at the same time I would not view it as unfair short of some strange things like people memorising seeds and the resultant patterns, though that just makes it even more hardcore from where I sit).

Lord Igniz

• View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: January 04, 2021, 12:05:05 am »
I have an idea for Godzilla: Battle Legends on the PC Engine/TG16. Really underrated game with some a pretty sizeable roster for a 16-bit console. But the game only has 2 modes; single player campaign (where you only fight as Godzilla) and a 2-player vs. mode. So what I am suggesting is:
1. Add the option to fight against the CPU in the Vs. mode. Also add ALL the characters to this mode, a couple are missing like Biollante and Battra who are only CPU controlled in the 1-player mode.
2. Put in another arcade type mode in which all monsters are available to play through.

I have a few more ideas, but I think this is a good starting off point for a solid brawler.

mattb88

• View Profile
« Reply #7215 on: January 04, 2021, 05:13:27 am »
Hi, everyone! This is my first post.

Something I've been hoping for is a hack of the Kemco Superman game for the NES with the music from the Famicom version. The Japanese version used John Williams's score, but they couldn't use it for the US version. I'd assume they use the same sound driver, but I've looked up tutorials on hacking NES music and I can't figure it out.
If anyone wants to do a hack I'd be extremely grateful!

SterrFry

• View Profile
« Reply #7216 on: January 04, 2021, 04:58:19 pm »
Any skilled animal forest hackers out there? There’s an English translation that a hacker named zoo kitty made but it’s broken and hard locks after 3 in game days. I’m trying to find someone to fix it because I have a board with a RTC chip in it that allowed it to be played on actual hardware, but I can’t cause the rom is broken :/ if we can fix it though more reproduction boards for the English version can be made

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #7217 on: January 04, 2021, 06:48:47 pm »

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3812/ :thumbsup:

eriknoc

• View Profile
« Reply #7218 on: January 06, 2021, 04:20:04 am »
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3812/ :thumbsup:

Ah!  I think I've seen this before, but my brain must've tuned out from it because of the "Easy Moves" part of it.  I see now that the Easy Moves are optional.  Thank you.  I will check it out.  Well... that's one wish already granted, even if it is a bit buggy.  I guess until someone does a full disassembly of this game, there's probably not going to be any extreme changes made.  Don't get me wrong, though.  These are nice additions as it is.  Still hoping that one day those other features I also suggested might be added.

Another thought I had for Alpha 2 would be to make the supers easier to do by executing them Alpha 3 style (w=L1, m=L2, h=L3).

Nosuch

• View Profile
« Reply #7219 on: January 06, 2021, 05:44:16 am »
Had a goofy spoof hack idea the other day. Essentially it's a Pokemon role reversal hack where you and all the other trainers are Pokemon and you're collecting humans.

Mostly I was thinking about replacing the Pokemon cries with sounds of people saying stuff and it snowballed from there.

I'd call it Humon.