News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2343326 times)

shakunetsu

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7180 on: December 18, 2020, 04:38:33 pm »

Translations English

-MTG (Dreamcast)
-YuYu Hakusho Tokubehuten (Snes)
-Sankyo Fever 4 (PsX)
-SF2 Movie Game (PsX)
-KOF Kyo English (PsX)

SF2 series Optimize control layout for 3 Button Pad for Genesis.

LP: Tap A BTN  LK: Hold A BTN
MP: Tap B BTN  MK: Hold B BTN
HP: Tap C BTN  HK: Hold C BTN

SF2 series Optimize control layout for 4 Button Pad for SNES.

LP: Tap Y BTN   LK: Tap B BTN
MP: Tap X BTN   MK: Tap A BTN
HP: Hold X BTN  HK: Hold A BTN

SF2 Optimize control layout for 2 button PC Engine's handheld The Turbo Express.

Light Normal: TAP
Mid Normal: Back+TAP
Heavy Normal: HOLD

SF2 Sega Master Update/Remastered

-Clean background remove NPC
-Replace Ken's Tatsu with Shoryuken
-Fireball Pallete change to blue instead of red.
-Responsive and Forgiving special move execution commands.
-Increase the horizontal distance from the ground or increase the Y axis not ground bound special moves
  ie Hurricane kick. To look visually more akin to other SF2 games in visual standpoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97uaJrUmzho

Hyper SF2(ARC) easy pick World Warrior bosses by holding start

- Easy selectable and accessible WW bosses, if even possible to add Violent Ken and Evil Ryu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgZQLO9bjYI

SF2 GB COLOR Port

Something like this

Colorized by Liamh1982

from

http://handheldworld.tumblr.com/

There were other works interpretation of colored version that is completed by Seong-jin for Mugen Stage. That can be used as inspiration.

Here are the rest of the SF2 GB stages that are recolored

https://mugenarchive.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=122-street-fighter-ii&page=3

Noside

• View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: December 18, 2020, 04:40:36 pm »
I don't know how if it was an acutal hack or a gamegenie/par code but, there's this chinese dude how made a playable boss character for Double Dragon 3: The Sacred Stones for the NES.

FUTURA

• Blast Processing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: December 19, 2020, 10:01:33 am »
Just one request:

For the USA version of Eternal Champions, can the bottom of the screen get fixed? I'd like to have the annoying bar removed. Here is a screenshot from the rom in Fusion emulator showing the offending black bar at the bottom of the gameplay:

It appears everywhere and it's sour on the eyes to me.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 10:16:03 am by FUTURA »
Super Sonic Speed!

jimstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: December 19, 2020, 10:37:04 am »
I recently played through Rygar to NES, and noticed some engrish and weird localization.

I also think the game should have a more archaic language style though it is like the NES version of a God of War game. Just a suggestion if someone want re-localization project.

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: December 19, 2020, 01:58:12 pm »
WarioWare: Twisted!: DPad Input Patch for Emulators (since the game's famous motion controls don't work so well on VisualBoyAdvance)
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver/Black/White/Black 2/White 2: Antipiracy Removal Patch
Super Mario All-Stars: White-Gloved Mario/Luigi in SMB3

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7185 on: December 19, 2020, 03:11:59 pm »
WarioWare: Twisted!: DPad Input Patch for Emulators (since the game's famous motion controls don't work so well on VisualBoyAdvance)

Already exists!
http://www.advanscene.com/html/Releases/dbreleases.php?id=1979
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

lonewolf3515

• View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: December 19, 2020, 04:20:09 pm »
Anyone willing to make a Zelda OOT 3DS rom hack using the original Zelda OOT 1.0 content from the N64? Nintendo "nerfed" Zelda OOT 3DS for a few reasons, but I would love to "un-nerf" it so to speak. Basically revert it to the original Zelda OOT 1.0 content, music changes and all. For example, they changed the Fire Temple music, the Mirror Shield logo, Ganondorf's blood color, The Forest Medallion logo, etc. etc... I wonder if it's possible to do all that for a Nintendo 3DS rom?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 08:50:35 pm by lonewolf3515 »

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: December 19, 2020, 08:01:18 pm »
Super Mario All-Stars: White-Gloved Mario/Luigi in SMB3

That already exists:

SMAS: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5434/
SMAS+W: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2778/

BUT, I would ask those for the Japanese Super Mario Collection and the PAL releases of SMAS and SMAS+W.

Also for the PAL releases, change the covers for their European counterparts in Title Selection.

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: December 21, 2020, 08:52:58 am »
We're overdue on a Pokemon Sword&Shield NDS hack
Also Calvin and Hobbes Nes roms,PSIII Rom hack(Major improvements to storyline,npcs,grahpics,exp&money multiplier)

ratedrguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: December 22, 2020, 07:54:59 am »
My favourite baseball game of all time is Triple Play 96 for the Sega Genesis.

After some searching, I notice there isn't much love for the game online - no roster updates, upgrades, etc.

Could the community provide me with suggestions on the best tools I could use to create a roster update to this game?

Thanks in advance.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: December 22, 2020, 05:06:11 pm »
As a general rule sports games are about as ignored by ROM hackers as they are by the general game buying public in charity shops and other sellers of second hand games. Megadrive/genesis likely more than most.

To that end I doubt you will find any documentation on it, much less premade utilities. The token quick scan of documents, the wiki and the utilities section of this site has not a lot. I assume you would have found anything external if you went searching.
It can make for a nice introduction to hacking however.

Generally speaking a team roster is not all that different to a roster in a RPG -- bunch of characters with a bunch of stats, allowable moves/weapons/spells, names, position/class and general appearance (or maybe number if this is a sports game)...  Indeed with so many characters and likely few of them having any unique abilities then you might even be better off and find it is all just numbers rather than something fancy baked into the code.

Finding such things in games can be slightly trickier than some other things but still within reason

Generally speaking there are two ways to do a stats table for characters

1) You have each character and each stat they have one after the other.
2) You have a table for each stat and then each character gets a value in that table.

There are perks and benefits to both approaches, and slight twists you can do (though most of those won't show up until somewhat later systems) but those are the main methods you will see to represent such things.

I would usually start by trying to find the stats in RAM (load different teams, or swap around characters with different stats and search for those) using a cheat search. If you are lucky then any character names will also be in the same tables (sometimes they are separate) so you might be able to do more text search methods (possibly even on the ROM)
Anyway when you find that then most times devs will store things the same in the ROM as they keep in RAM (doing maths when the code is running is far less fun than having it done beforehand).
If there are cheats for max speed or something then they will often attack such things so you might be able to skip that if there are some codes already made. If there is a training/RPG elements aspect then even better.

If not then you get to trace things back to the ROM -- find the location of stats in RAM, set a break on write to that location, hopefully when it pings up saying something wrote here and here is what is then in the preceding instructions will be where it found it in the ROM.
https://www.romhacking.net/documents/361/ is my usual suggestion for tracing. It is for the GBA and for a command line emulator, nor do I know what we are suggesting for a megadrive/genesis debugger these days.
If you really must then you can skip finding stats in RAM the more conventional way and do something like note pixel or virtual map location of a character and set a breakpoint for anything changing that, somewhere in there will be a variable that accounts for individual speed of a character. If they have HP of some form then that also might be useful.

Anyway from there you should know the location and general layout of the stats tables. Can edit things if you want. Names should be much the same, and possibly even taken by a basic relative text search ( https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/513/ ).

stevengeilberg

• View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: December 25, 2020, 03:18:15 am »
Add music to The Punisher on NES. Doom music fits nicely, and there are 8 bit versions of the soundtrack that exist.  >:D

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: December 25, 2020, 12:15:13 pm »
Dragon Ball Z: Super Butoden 2 (Famicom bootleg):

+Arrange and relocate stages and music to match their SFC counterparts.

Optional: do a Dragon Ball FighterZ rom hack.

Ditch Teen Gohan for Frieza.
Ditch Trunks for Adult Gohan.
Ditch Cell Jr. for Kid Buu.
Ditch Zangya for Android 21.

EDR

• View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: December 25, 2020, 10:02:32 pm »
DOUBLE EXPERIENCE AND GOLD IN DRAGON QUEST IV NES

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: December 26, 2020, 01:11:01 am »
Use any Megaman NES game that had 8 RMs as a base, and implement the RMs from MM1 and then add Time and Oil Man to replace the rest of the original RMs.

Kind of surprised no one thought of it yet.

xstuff

• View Profile
    • Deviantart.com
« Reply #7195 on: December 26, 2020, 01:49:39 am »
Use any Megaman NES game that had 8 RMs as a base, and implement the RMs from MM1 and then add Time and Oil Man to replace the rest of the original RMs.

Kind of surprised no one thought of it yet.

Someone on here attempted that at first but later decided to make a fangame of it instead: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=7323.0

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #7196 on: December 26, 2020, 05:06:01 am »
Someone on here attempted that at first but later decided to make a fangame of it instead: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=7323.0

I like this one alot.*
So you are also saying? Remake Mega man 1 yet Build it entirely inside Megaman 2?

-I am also trying to see if ANYONE is ever going to Make 'a story Intro' before the game title into
Megaman 1 press start begins, etc etc for the NES rom.

Just like they did for Megaman 3, 'adding the extra story intro before the game actually begins.'

Megaman 1 NES has absolutely no intro what-so ever.

When is anybody going to make one for this game??
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 05:11:23 am by SkyLizardGirl »
-Blaster Master Hacker
-Learning, hacking Mario 3 currently

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: December 26, 2020, 09:14:43 am »

I like this one alot.*
So you are also saying? Remake Mega man 1 yet Build it entirely inside Megaman 2?

-I am also trying to see if ANYONE is ever going to Make 'a story Intro' before the game title into
Megaman 1 press start begins, etc etc for the NES rom.

Just like they did for Megaman 3, 'adding the extra story intro before the game actually begins.'

Megaman 1 NES has absolutely no intro what-so ever.

When is anybody going to make one for this game??

I highly second this idea.
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: December 26, 2020, 10:49:28 am »
Throwing an idea into the void, even if I could and probably should just do it myself.

So I was detailing how to do a fighting game selection cheat for hidden characters
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=32002.0
Feel like linking a similar concept (albeit with bugs you sometimes get for doing such things) from gametrailers' pop fiction series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r-oaaWsPE8

What if in Streets of Rage 2 or 3 where you get the hidden characters after beating them and using a continue to change characters then every life ends up being a random character swap. Permadeath might be interesting twist if you fancied it. Depending upon how good your players are you might want to spike difficulty as well but that can be a different discussion.
Mode of operations would probably be
Find what value sorts the character selection (might want to drop the lives and see what the continues function does to select a character) and upon death (set a break on lives counter change) fire a random character swap function instead (might even be choose random data from somewhere in memory and have that be a pick, the permadeath option might need a bit more work).
Might even force me to get better with some of the lesser picked characters or make for an amusing challenge mode.

Now I agree I should probably just go grab beats of rage (or one of the other remake efforts) and play with source code but thought it could be a nice hack. Could also achieve the same effect by pumping up continues and decreasing lives (don't know if megadrive cheat devices have nice if higher/lower than checks) to basically force a swap and then doing something a bit random following deaths off my own back but that is crude (score drops, time to get back to game higher, have to do something myself...).

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #7199 on: December 26, 2020, 03:31:55 pm »
Make Megaman 1 for the NES have an actual Story Intro before the game starts.

Just like for Megaman 3
-Blaster Master Hacker
-Learning, hacking Mario 3 currently