News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2858363 times)

Ligeia

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7160 on: December 15, 2020, 01:07:41 am »
Here's a rom hack idea I have : a Yoshi's Island demake using the SMW engine. The idea would be to create a "beta" version of the official Super Mario World 2 by using upgraded SMW assets (like the ones in Super Mario World Redrawn) to give it a proper sequel feel. Of course there would be no Yoshi eggs, no baby Mario... Just what SMW 2 should have been to me.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 01:04:49 am by Ligeia »

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #7161 on: December 15, 2020, 02:02:32 pm »
Not sure how feasible this would be, but hacking Snake Eater 3D to use the New 3DS controls to match how it plays on PS2, because otherwise the game's controls are borderline unplayable.

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #7162 on: December 17, 2020, 01:30:28 am »
I have not found any Super Mario 3 or Super Mario World hacks
that allow you to play as Bowsette herself yet.

Why still has Nobody made these?

You can only play as Bowsette in Mario 1 and 2 USA - But still no Mario-3 play as Bowsette
or play as her in Mario World exists.

Why is that?

This needs to finally be done.
And they need to be the 2 best known hacks ever made.

https://shirtoid.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Super-Bowsette.jpg 

^Here is an image if made for Mario 3 hack as a Retro game cart^
I am picturing a Black NES Game cart or something.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 01:37:08 am by SkyLizardGirl »
-Blaster Master Hacker
-Learning, hacking Mario 3 currently
-Messing with some Zelda Nes Rom stuff

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7163 on: December 17, 2020, 08:27:21 am »
Question that doubles as an idea: Is it possible to improve the AI in Kirby & The Amazing Mirror?

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7164 on: December 17, 2020, 08:59:17 am »
Question that doubles as an idea: Is it possible to improve the AI in Kirby & The Amazing Mirror?

Messing with AI is an interesting one.

First step is to ask if there are any simpler improvements you can do -- if increasing speed, adding some random vertical motion (see history of medusa heads in Castlevania), making them hit harder (or removing player health, or editing level to remove health pickups, or reducing player attack damage), reducing hit boxes, sense range maybe (will home at 150 pixels rather than 100 sort of thing), editing a level to chuck another enemy at a given spot, making them use a more powerful attack more often (many times there will a counter and "once every 4 attacks use power move"/"when low health use power move"),... will be enough to improve a game then that can be reasonably easy to visualise and pull off. Some of those you can pull of with level editing and minor parameter tweaks in assembly.
Burrowing down into code to add in some kind of checks on player health, location, speed and more to determine best avenues of attack is a far more annoying affair. It is however what I have found a lot of people jump to when asking to improve AI in platformer/scrolling beat em up (almost exclusively in collectible card games but that is a whole other kettle of fish), and if you come to us from programs with source code world it is not terribly unreasonable there either. This only gets worse if we also get to crowbar this nice new AI routine into an already bursting at the seams vblank routine.

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #7165 on: December 17, 2020, 10:30:07 am »

Here's a small hack that should be easy to pull off, putting Bowser's Japanese pose into the American Super Mario RPG ROM. :D 

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #7166 on: December 17, 2020, 11:07:34 am »
What I wouldn't mind is a translation of the fan made Demakes of the Mega Man 7 & 8 games. I mean sure some people know the basic plot from the SNES games, but there are those that are newcomers to the Mega Man franchise and might get a little lost if they find the demake versions. I mean I know it's suppose to be for official games, but I wouldn't mind seeing some of the words translated too.

EDIT: Oh and while on the subject of Demakes, I am curious to wonder...what would it be like to have a demake of Mega Man 11 as well? I mean I know that style was not as good for 9 & 10 back then because people were tired of it back then, but I do have to wonder...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 11:17:06 am by julayla »

TWINE

• View Profile
« Reply #7167 on: December 17, 2020, 04:58:43 pm »
Hello All,

I was wondering if I could commission anyone to add the gameshark codes for "The world if not enough" (N64 version) ROM. The game has fantastic multiplayer and i've lost my save pak save files 1000 times across every save pak I have ever used.

Exactly what I am interested in changing:

Main Menu> Options> Graphics> Video Mode: Default to: "Hi-Color".
Main Menu> Multiplayer> Weapon Detail: Default to "High".
Codes to implement: Unlock all single player levels in all difficulties, unlock all multiplayer levels, modes, character skins, weapon sets.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7168 on: December 17, 2020, 09:51:07 pm »

Here's a small hack that should be easy to pull off, putting Bowser's Japanese pose into the American Super Mario RPG ROM. :D

Someone already made a patch that restores it back to the American ROM, you can get it here: http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?id=7159

90s comeback

• View Profile
« Reply #7169 on: December 18, 2020, 06:00:29 am »
I intend to grab the sprites that form a certain character and adding more sprites to it and relocate them however i want, is it possible?, if so, how?. thanks.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7170 on: December 18, 2020, 12:41:47 pm »
Hopefully you have basic tile editing down already.

Relocation. Should just be pointers. Find the pointers for your current sprites and then some free space and change accordingly.

"adding more sprites to it"
Do you mean extra steps of animation or more tiles to the whole sprite?
Both can be tricky and run into lack of memory issues, and on older systems (newer ones might have more software defined setups for images) then fiddling with code to get it all in there running.
Animations tend to be a matter of something somewhere saying for this many frames/cycles put this sprite, then put this sprite for this many, then... If you can fit the extra in the ROM, and get it in memory somehow as well then you can have more. As mentioned above the older systems might well have all this as code you have to edit, for some of the newer ones then occasionally some games have animation formats that say what to do when.

More tiles tends to fall under something called a map, though animations might also be troubled. Newer systems might also have a software defined map but most will have to fiddle with hardware. Depending upon the game you might also have to figure out what goes for hitboxes if you add or remove data from what the player sees.

gukid

• View Profile
« Reply #7171 on: December 18, 2020, 03:34:39 pm »
A fairly simple hack request:

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES): Change the default sound mode to Stereo. As it is, it always reverts to Mono on each start up.

You can change hex address 0x358255 from 01 to 00 to have it default to stereo.  At least, the menu displays Stereo when I do this :)

Okay, now this is interesting...  normally the game sets the Mono flag before any audio actually plays, so the title screen music and menu music are always played in Mono (it doesn't toggle immediately in the menu.)  With this change, you now hear these 2 songs in Stereo, possibly for the first time ever?  But the problem is that the menu music doesn't seem to have the correct Stereo separation, and ends up sounding kind of messed up (may have to listen on headphones to really hear it.)  This may be why it defaults to Mono, as a quick fix to the menu music?  I guess an ideal fix would be to change it right after the menu has loaded, so that it still plays in Mono, or maybe try and fix the audio data (totally out of my league now :P)

Last update: found a copy of the 1.1 Japanese rom, this one defaults to Stereo without needing to be patched, and the menu music sounds weird here as well.  Listening a bit more closely, it sounds like in mono there is an echo on the trumpet, but in stereo, you have no echo on the right channel, and full volume echo on the left channel, so it sounds off.  Might be an easy correction to anyone who's familiar with spc700 programming.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 05:44:09 pm by gukid »

shakunetsu

• View Profile
« Reply #7172 on: December 18, 2020, 04:38:33 pm »

Translations English

-MTG (Dreamcast)
-YuYu Hakusho Tokubehuten (Snes)
-Sankyo Fever 4 (PsX)
-SF2 Movie Game (PsX)
-KOF Kyo English (PsX)

SF2 series Optimize control layout for 3 Button Pad for Genesis.

LP: Tap A BTN  LK: Hold A BTN
MP: Tap B BTN  MK: Hold B BTN
HP: Tap C BTN  HK: Hold C BTN

SF2 series Optimize control layout for 4 Button Pad for SNES.

LP: Tap Y BTN   LK: Tap B BTN
MP: Tap X BTN   MK: Tap A BTN
HP: Hold X BTN  HK: Hold A BTN

SF2 Optimize control layout for 2 button PC Engine's handheld The Turbo Express.

Light Normal: TAP
Mid Normal: Back+TAP
Heavy Normal: HOLD

SF2 Sega Master Update/Remastered

-Clean background remove NPC
-Replace Ken's Tatsu with Shoryuken
-Fireball Pallete change to blue instead of red.
-Responsive and Forgiving special move execution commands.
-Increase the horizontal distance from the ground or increase the Y axis not ground bound special moves
  ie Hurricane kick. To look visually more akin to other SF2 games in visual standpoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97uaJrUmzho

Hyper SF2(ARC) easy pick World Warrior bosses by holding start

- Easy selectable and accessible WW bosses, if even possible to add Violent Ken and Evil Ryu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgZQLO9bjYI

SF2 GB COLOR Port

Something like this

Colorized by Liamh1982

from

http://handheldworld.tumblr.com/

There were other works interpretation of colored version that is completed by Seong-jin for Mugen Stage. That can be used as inspiration.

Here are the rest of the SF2 GB stages that are recolored

https://mugenarchive.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=122-street-fighter-ii&page=3

Noside

• View Profile
« Reply #7173 on: December 18, 2020, 04:40:36 pm »
I don't know how if it was an acutal hack or a gamegenie/par code but, there's this chinese dude how made a playable boss character for Double Dragon 3: The Sacred Stones for the NES.

FUTURA

• Blast Processing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7174 on: December 19, 2020, 10:01:33 am »
Just one request:

For the USA version of Eternal Champions, can the bottom of the screen get fixed? I'd like to have the annoying bar removed. Here is a screenshot from the rom in Fusion emulator showing the offending black bar at the bottom of the gameplay:

It appears everywhere and it's sour on the eyes to me.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 10:16:03 am by FUTURA »
Super Sonic Speed!

jimstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #7175 on: December 19, 2020, 10:37:04 am »
I recently played through Rygar to NES, and noticed some engrish and weird localization.

I also think the game should have a more archaic language style though it is like the NES version of a God of War game. Just a suggestion if someone want re-localization project.

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: December 19, 2020, 01:58:12 pm »
WarioWare: Twisted!: DPad Input Patch for Emulators (since the game's famous motion controls don't work so well on VisualBoyAdvance)
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver/Black/White/Black 2/White 2: Antipiracy Removal Patch
Super Mario All-Stars: White-Gloved Mario/Luigi in SMB3

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
« Reply #7177 on: December 19, 2020, 03:11:59 pm »
WarioWare: Twisted!: DPad Input Patch for Emulators (since the game's famous motion controls don't work so well on VisualBoyAdvance)

Already exists!
http://www.advanscene.com/html/Releases/dbreleases.php?id=1979
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

lonewolf3515

• View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: December 19, 2020, 04:20:09 pm »
Anyone willing to make a Zelda OOT 3DS rom hack using the original Zelda OOT 1.0 content from the N64? Nintendo "nerfed" Zelda OOT 3DS for a few reasons, but I would love to "un-nerf" it so to speak. Basically revert it to the original Zelda OOT 1.0 content, music changes and all. For example, they changed the Fire Temple music, the Mirror Shield logo, Ganondorf's blood color, The Forest Medallion logo, etc. etc... I wonder if it's possible to do all that for a Nintendo 3DS rom?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 08:50:35 pm by lonewolf3515 »

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #7179 on: December 19, 2020, 08:01:18 pm »
Super Mario All-Stars: White-Gloved Mario/Luigi in SMB3

That already exists:

SMAS: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5434/
SMAS+W: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2778/

BUT, I would ask those for the Japanese Super Mario Collection and the PAL releases of SMAS and SMAS+W.

Also for the PAL releases, change the covers for their European counterparts in Title Selection.