News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2859453 times)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7080 on: November 14, 2020, 01:59:00 pm »
i want megami tensei 2 in my rom collection but its a japanese game so i need a translation.
Well, jeepers, if you just want it in your "ROM collection", just put it there and pretend it has been translated. :P

If you actually want to play the game, may I suggest trying the auto-translation feature that was recently added to Retroarch?

Hopefully this comment will inspire many of you to do so.
This is a game in one of the more popular and well-known RPG series and I expect people already have all the "inspiration" they need to translate it. Since it hasn't happened already, that would suggest it is probably extremely difficult to translate.

This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7081 on: November 14, 2020, 02:17:39 pm »
i want megami tensei 2 in my rom collection but its a japanese game so i need a translation. The problem is that the only translation for this game on this site is abadoned and incomplete. AND many plans for a translation were abadoned. We NEED a megami tensei 2 translation on this site thats actually complete. Hopefully this comment will inspire many of you to do so.

DDSTranslation translated Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei, which is a remake of Megami Tensei I and II on SNES. You can just play that.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 03:36:46 am by Dzumeister »
free sluffy

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #7082 on: November 14, 2020, 02:24:48 pm »
i want megami tensei 2 in my rom collection but its a japanese game so i need a translation. The problem is that the only translation for this game on this site is abadoned and incomplete. AND many plans for a translation were abadoned. We NEED a megami tensei 2 translation on this site thats actually complete. Hopefully this comment will inspire many of you to do so.

Tom and DDS are working on it, I think. I see updates from time to time on MT2 on Tom's Twitter.

Santhacklaus

• View Profile
« Reply #7083 on: November 14, 2020, 02:42:50 pm »
Thank you for letting me know about this!  I've looked for a GG code like this in the past and wasn't able to locate one.  I appreciate it.

I've briefly looked for existing codes and couldn't find much either... so I made one myself! :)
It does seem to make the game a little more fun.

And since I found the steering a bit frustrating, I looked into it and found how to alter it:

For Slalom (U).nes
- Increase the value of $B2B1 and $B2BB (up to #$3F) to reduce the inertia when you release the left/right button.
  This can make the game a lot easier.
- Increase the value of $B2C7, $B2D2, $B2DC and $B2E7 (up to #$3F) for faster steering.
  This too can make the game a lot easier.

Converted to Game Genie codes:

Reduce inertia (to the max)
YULLPX
YULULX

Faster steering (to the max)
YUGLYX
YUILZX
YUIUGX
YUTLYX

TBH, these codes make the game so much easier that it almost kills the fun, but they can be altered to lessen their effect.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 02:48:08 pm by Santhacklaus »

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #7084 on: November 14, 2020, 02:59:09 pm »
I dunno if anyone ever mentioned it, but I'd love to see Sonia Belmont in Castlevania IV. :)

retro dude

• View Profile
« Reply #7085 on: November 14, 2020, 04:44:36 pm »
fair point jorpho i guess i will just have megami tensei 2 in my rom collection untill a complete translation arives

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #7086 on: November 14, 2020, 08:04:42 pm »
Wasn't Sinis working on something like that?
Regardless, a simple sprite swap should be fairly easy to get done with the current tools available, no?

Googie

• View Profile
« Reply #7087 on: November 14, 2020, 08:10:56 pm »
Wasn't Sinis working on something like that?
Regardless, a simple sprite swap should be fairly easy to get done with the current tools available, no?

Now that you mentioned I think he was, I'm gonna have to reach out to him and ask him, he's been MIA for a while now. I'm confident with the current tools out it can be done, hopefully someone'll answer the call, CV IV is a favorite next to Rondo of Blood. :)

KurisuKun

• View Profile
« Reply #7088 on: November 15, 2020, 11:25:35 am »
So i recently collected all the GBA final fantasy's which is all of them from 1 to 6, except 3.

Im thinking of making a custom gba cover for 3 and add the game as a gba game neatly with the rest. I would

like it if the game had a gba logo booting up, before the title screen comes. I was thinkiing along the lines of this.

https://ibb.co/XSNZZvP

Could anyone help me out ?

StarWyvern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #7089 on: November 15, 2020, 11:39:16 am »
I dunno if anyone ever mentioned it, but I'd love to see Sonia Belmont in Castlevania IV. :)

You should talk to bogaabogaa. He has done alot of extensive modding/hacking with SCV4 and knows the ins and outs of the games code. If anyone can put Sonia in SCV4, it would be him. I recommend getting Serio's Sonia sprites. They are a perfect match graphic wise for the stylings of SCV4.  8)
Insert "Witty Text" here.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #7090 on: November 15, 2020, 01:32:45 pm »
You should talk to bogaabogaa. He has done alot of extensive modding/hacking with SCV4 and knows the ins and outs of the games code. If anyone can put Sonia in SCV4, it would be him. I recommend getting Serio's Sonia sprites. They are a perfect match graphic wise for the stylings of SCV4.  8)

I agree. Those sprites should even fit in the space taken up by Simon's sprites.
I think I'll ask about this myself. I have a few other ideas now that I thought about it more.

EDIT:

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=24158.msg342249#msg342249

Bogaabogaa has info on doing this in the thread about editing the game.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 01:43:34 pm by Vanya »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7091 on: November 15, 2020, 01:59:18 pm »
You can probably make a nice straight boot into it from HVCA or pocketnes, I think the latter allows some form of splash screen. If not then it is possible to do a hard reset to launch (soft reset technically being an undocumented function) in most flash carts, or if you were boring enough to flash the game without a menu for those that have such functionality then it will play that by default.
Your bigger problem is Pocketnes will do its tile cropping thing, HVCA does things differently so might be a better choice. My first real go at a ROM hack some years back now was in fact a edit of FF3 NES translation so it would work on GBA code/based emulators.

tingting444

• View Profile
« Reply #7092 on: November 15, 2020, 02:12:26 pm »
Hi, sorry if this is not the appropriate place to ask this, but I wasn't sure where I could ask. Would anybody know how to get this hack:

https://www.romhacking.net/reviews/2299/

to work for the "0257 - Breath of Fire 2 - Shimei no Ko (J)(Eurasia).gba" version of the game? Or, contrarily, is it possible to make "Breath of Fire 2 (U)(Mode7).gba" use the Japanese script?
I don't play games often; when I get the time to, I usually hope to play the Japanese version of them so I can also get some language practice simultaneously. They also feel funner that way. The color just seems way too bright without the palette modification, though.

Thanks a lot for any help that you can provide!

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7093 on: November 16, 2020, 03:33:00 pm »
request for an English translation of Maerchen Adventure Cotton 100%! It seems to mostly just be story/cutscene stuff that needs to be localized, there's actually a lot of text in English already.

It looks like 4ph finished their French translation, maybe it could be used as a base for an English project?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 04:20:24 pm by Dzumeister »
free sluffy

Googie

• View Profile
« Reply #7094 on: November 17, 2020, 09:05:21 am »

Thanks man, I'll reach out to him to see what he says. :)

Here's two ideas that popped in my head, and away we go... :D

1. Make a hack with the Breath of The Wild style Zelda a hero into A Link to The Past, I think that'd be interesting to see that Zelda style in 16bit.

2. Replace Bowser with Boswette in Super Mario RPG, this can be an ambitious hack in a whole new world with the editor.

VintageHondaBikeGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7095 on: November 17, 2020, 01:50:26 pm »
I've briefly looked for existing codes and couldn't find much either... so I made one myself! :)
It does seem to make the game a little more fun.

And since I found the steering a bit frustrating, I looked into it and found how to alter it:

For Slalom (U).nes
- Increase the value of $B2B1 and $B2BB (up to #$3F) to reduce the inertia when you release the left/right button.
  This can make the game a lot easier.
- Increase the value of $B2C7, $B2D2, $B2DC and $B2E7 (up to #$3F) for faster steering.
  This too can make the game a lot easier.

Converted to Game Genie codes:

Reduce inertia (to the max)
YULLPX
YULULX

Faster steering (to the max)
YUGLYX
YUILZX
YUIUGX
YUTLYX

TBH, these codes make the game so much easier that it almost kills the fun, but they can be altered to lessen their effect.

This is awesome!  Thanks!  I'll try this after work, tonight.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #7096 on: November 19, 2020, 05:22:51 am »
Demon's Crest (SNES) Improvement
-Form switcing with the shoulder buttons
-Some items are better hidden instead of just lying around in easy to get to and unguarded spots, placed sort of haphazardly (for example the room at bottom of plant infested tower, room behind wall in burning forest)
-Make it impossible to miss jewels gotten from bosses
-Make some of the forms and spells more useful
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #7097 on: November 19, 2020, 02:56:55 pm »
That reminds me of the fan game I started years.
I really need to get a new laptop so I can go back and finish it.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7098 on: November 19, 2020, 04:23:22 pm »
Demon's Crest (SNES) Improvement
-Form switcing with the shoulder buttons
-Some items are better hidden instead of just lying around in easy to get to and unguarded spots, placed sort of haphazardly (for example the room at bottom of plant infested tower, room behind wall in burning forest)
-Make it impossible to miss jewels gotten from bosses
-Make some of the forms and spells more useful

oooh add this to my list
free sluffy

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #7099 on: November 19, 2020, 05:34:04 pm »
Great minds think alike!
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.