News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2520721 times)

Goku

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #700 on: May 22, 2013, 10:58:35 pm »
I have some ideas of hacks that solve problems of some games.

Crimson Gem Saga (PSP)
This game is very unbalanced and many people dislike its difficulty. For instance, a level-30 enemy can kill a level-60 party easily and the price of the things is very high. Grinding is required to defeat stronger enemies due to the unbalance.

A hack that solves the problem would feature:
-4x more money after the battle.
-2x more damage against enemies.
-2x less damage done by enemies.

Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled (DS)
It is a good game that follows the style of Snes games. This game is boring due to high encounter rate.

A hack that improves the game would feature:
-Reduction of random encounter rate.
-Raise experience and money that are obtained from battles. Grinding is not needed in the original game due to the high encounter rate, but with a smaller encounter rate the party may become underleveled.
-Fix freezing bugs and battle system bugs (If it is possible). The game has some perceptible bugs.

Crimson Gem Saga and Black Sigil would be great RPG if the problems that prevent them from being playable were solved.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #701 on: May 23, 2013, 12:21:38 am »
I heard of attempt but I haven't seen or heard what became of it. You are always welcome to try something even if someone else has done the same thing before. Your version might be better.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: May 23, 2013, 02:40:53 pm »
On note, some recent ideas for hacks:
1. (GB/GBC/SGB) Tyrian 2000 Endless - Basically add a Save Prompt after the Credits Screen to allow the player to play from the first level but with all upgrades you had in the last level.
2. (NES) Silver Surfer Health Bar - Remember that shitty game for NES? Why not take AVGN's advice and add a health bar to it?
3. (PC) Tyrian 2000 Extra - Just add secret ships (Like NortShip Z, Dragon, U-Ship) as purchaseable before Ziglon's Revenge and make it so you don't always get Foodship Nine (Yes, I always get Foodship Nine after Episode 5).
4. (PC) Dragon Ball Zandronum: Deathmatch - Do you remember of some Dragon Ball Z mods for Quake and Unreal? Yeah, that kind of mod, but for Zandronum (An online Doom source port with MANY new commands to toy with). It would be pretty neat!
5. (???) Dodonpachi GB - Okay, this cannot be done from any base, so it would need to be a "new project". Basically demaking Dodonpachi as if it was released on Game Boy Color, but (if made on Game Maker or any PC program) taking a few liberties from the limitations GBC would have.
6. (Many) Legend of Touhou - No set name. Just a basic idea to reskin or hack various Zelda games to have Touhou characters, scenery and maybe challenge (bullets everywhere, but no 1HPW). Could be done in Armageddon Games's Zelda Classic.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: May 24, 2013, 09:15:47 am »
6. (Many) Legend of Touhou - No set name. Just a basic idea to reskin or hack various Zelda games to have Touhou characters, scenery and maybe challenge (bullets everywhere, but no 1HPW). Could be done in Armageddon Games's Zelda Classic.
Some Japanese guy hasn't done that already? I'm shocked! :D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: May 24, 2013, 09:42:26 am »
In Konami Wai Wai World, ?-boxes yield bullets instead of hearts and it doesn't jump up when the ?-box is opened!

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: May 24, 2013, 10:59:28 am »
Some Japanese guy hasn't done that already? I'm shocked! :D
Well, someone did, but it was centered around Sakuya and wasn't much interesting. I think there's also one with Youmu, but never seen more than one screen.
And neither were hacks, but rather custom Game Maker engines.

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: May 27, 2013, 08:02:17 am »
I would also like to see a hack of Secret of Mana that does to SoM what Parallel Worlds did to Z:LTTP. Completely change the landscape to something unfamiliar, expand the story and world, making it a new game entirely (like... maybe after defeating the Mana Beast, Purim and Rhandi have kids and one of them takes up the Mana Sword in the face of a new crisis?).

There's no complete editor for Secret of Mana (Though I think one was in the works and may still be.  But last I heard he's been kind of leaving it), so it'll be ages before that happens sadly.

That sucks... any kind of expanded SoM or Sd3 hack would've been pretty awesome. I mean, looking at stuff like Zelda: Paralell Worlds and the various Chrono Trigger hacks makes me pretty jelly that my two fave games don't have similar treatments.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: May 28, 2013, 02:53:24 pm »
Importing unique features of the Lost Levels into the original Super Mario Bros.. Luigi's physics (has to be one or the other I imagine), green trampoline, poisonous mushroom (don't really care about), and wind. Only way I can think of is to simply import levels of the original into the Lost Levels, with the cost of no multiplayer but I'd rather have the choice of different physics any day.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: May 28, 2013, 09:13:08 pm »
That actually doesn't sound TOO hard given that we have the whole rom disassembled.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 29, 2013, 01:29:34 am »
A challenge to Zoinkity! :D

So, it's been reported DK64 requires the Expansion Pak just because Rare couldn't find a bug that made the game crash randomly with the standard 4MB RAM.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Morinis

• Cupcakes and Pizza
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #710 on: May 31, 2013, 09:56:09 am »
Here is an idea for making a specific program to help an individual hack a game  :D

Program Hacking Idea: Alundra PSX/PSOne Editor

Editor would be able to modify character appearances, levels, graphics, events, music, texts and items.  On it's layout which I'm thinking would be similar towards Lunar Magic, SMILE (Super Metroid Integrated Level Editor), and Hyrule Magic for example and an idea.

I have no knowledge on making programs for PSX/PSOne or any kind of other game so no clue of how hard this would be to pull off  :P
ROM Hacker, Reviewer and Critic.

Don't Know What Else To Say So... <3 You!

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 01, 2013, 05:44:58 pm »
Hack idea converting super mario bros graphics to kid icarus and making the fireballs shoot like arrows. I think I might actually try that.

Trivial man

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 01, 2013, 06:15:49 pm »
The Wii game NiGHTS Journey of Dreams features a mode called My Dream that functions a lot like the Chao gardens from Sonic Adventure titles. You round up Nightopians and Nightmarens from the levels in paraloops that transports them to the Dream Garden. From there you can feed them blue chips gathered up in the levels and interact with them a bit.

And like the Chao gardens there seems to be a ton of obscure and strange things that can happen such as breeding your Nightopians and Nightmaren together to create "Mepians" that have special animations and activities. These can then also be cross bred and you wind up with Mepians with tons of mixed and matched parts and behaviors. The land itself also seems to terraform depending on... things. Playing levels repeatedly seems to bring in bits of background art like statues from the levels into the Dream Garden. Similarly the grass and plants look more nice and angelic or dark and evil depending on the ratio of Nightopians to Nightmarens and how happy each group is, I think. Hills and streams and the ground level also can change.

However, unlike the Chao garden that is more or less completely understood now, My Dream is still fairly mysterious. For example, there is a so call "King Pian" or "Super Pian" that is bred from Mepians and who constructs a tower of sorts in the level. The exact conditions for obtaining this aren't particularly well known or tested, though anecdotal evidence is found relatively easily. Additionally, there are 4 "stamps" that can appear in your Dream Journal, essentially the statistics page for the game, that seem to be linked with My Dream. Supposedly, 1 of them is earned when you breed the King Pian, and another seems to be linked to the overall happiness of your garden. The conditions for each are still not very well known though. The last 2 seem to be completely unknown with no information available online about how to obtain them. The mechanisms for having level objects appear in the Dream Garden and terraforming in general also don't seem to have any information about them online.

If anyone could hack NiGHTS Journey of Dreams and write some sort of guide on how these things work, especially the stamps, based on the game's actual code, that would be a huge boon to the few people who actually care about this game.

Alabaster

• View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 03, 2013, 02:25:56 am »
I once saw a picture of FFV that had the four main characters as enemy portaits, and Gilgamash and Enkidu is the character Sprite Heroes. I'd love to see a hack of that game Where Gilgamesh is the Hero, Enkidu is his Partner, and Maybe a Goblin and a Moogle join up to round out your team. I'd love to write that script/design the maps. But I couldn't hack for the life of me.

Or! Hack FFVI to have a similar theme, but instead have Gilgamesh roaming the Multiverse picking up Allies from all the different games. Maybe even the villains. Or a mix of both. To battle a big bad. Perhaps like Xeromas, Cloud of Darkness, and Chaos all team up to destroy the Multiverse. I think that'd be pretty stellar. And once again, I'd happily write a script and or map for a hack like that.

The image I spoke about at the start is actually a reverse of this fight

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 03, 2013, 05:29:42 pm »
I think FFVI is the most suited to that second idea. Hell, someone could make a two part hack based on Dissidia. Have a Heroes and a Villains version. Honestly I think the hardest thing would be creating new signature abilities for the various characters.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 05, 2013, 03:10:03 pm »
Flying in Super Mario 64 that doesn't force to descend.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 05, 2013, 04:42:10 pm »
Put the racoon suit and fireflower in super mario 64! Or has that been done already?

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #717 on: June 11, 2013, 06:28:31 pm »
CIMA Advance German translation:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/915387-cima-the-enemy/47064313

Should be pretty easy for somebody with a little skill. It seems to be already in the game, but locked...

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: June 14, 2013, 04:03:05 pm »
I'll segue into this then...
There's already a Don Doko Don 2 translation into Russian, so how about an English built off of that patch?

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 21, 2013, 12:00:31 pm »
I once saw a picture of FFV that had the four main characters as enemy portaits, and Gilgamash and Enkidu is the character Sprite Heroes. ....

You mean this? http://safebooru.org/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=217469