News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2089163 times)

CyberFox

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6900 on: September 09, 2020, 05:19:07 am »
Here's a fun idea

Streets of Rage 2 with Mae Borowski, Gregg, Bea and Angus [from Night in the Woods]
Grant it the game needs to have a new storyline and people to fight aside from the SOR2 thugs and a new name to boot

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: September 09, 2020, 09:13:09 am »
Don't know about the megadrive graphics hardware but for the GBA if I was doing it then it would almost certainly be an overlay or additional effect on top of an image rather than radical redraw (not that it matters much there).

Watched a longplay of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cz-ZKWqmIk
Seems like they are going for a "like it is being played on an old school war room film projector" effect (others playing along thing world war 1 or maybe 2 but with airships for the aesthetic) and yeah it is not the best take on such things I have ever seen (touch detective being my pick for nice effect on that front), at least on a nice 27 inch screen in front of my face.

Looks like the full screen darkens a bit (so black overlay but alpha only slightly decreased) and then full black before coming back.
Two approaches for this are either disable the whole effect or tweak the alpha part such that it has no effect (similar to reducing the volume of a music track to 0 but it still playing inside the hardware, just no noticeable effects to the player). I imagine both will be assembly fiddling but as you are either stopping something from happening, changing a timer (if it only does the effect every 1000 seconds or something most briefings should be fine) or changing a parameter within normal ranges of operation then all should be good. I can well imagine this being a wonderful introduction to assembly type hack.
http://www.coranac.com/tonc/text/video.htm
http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm
https://www.cs.rit.edu/~tjh8300/CowBite/CowBiteSpec.htm#Graphics%20Hardware%20Overview

Noside

• View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: September 09, 2020, 11:41:56 am »
I really don't know if this has been done before but, a 2 player simultaneous mode for Super Mario Bros. 1,2 & 3 for the NES.
EDIT: forget about it, it seems like at has been done at least for the first game.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 11:51:33 am by Noside »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: September 10, 2020, 10:10:15 am »
Kirby's Dream Land remake using Kirby's Adventure as base.
Some of the music is already there, so only a handful of music ports would be needed.
Also, most of the bosses are already there, but some will need some ASM work.

End product would be a version of Kirby's Dream Land in full color with powers and map areas.

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: September 10, 2020, 04:01:32 pm »
Kirby's Dream Land remake using Kirby's Adventure as base.
Some of the music is already there, so only a handful of music ports would be needed.
Also, most of the bosses are already there, but some will need some ASM work.

End product would be a version of Kirby's Dream Land in full color with powers and map areas.

While that is a good idea (I would love to replay Kirbys Adventure like it was Kirbys Dreamland, with copy abilities and NES music), we just got Kirbys Dreamland DX, which does about half that stuff, so sadly I doubt it will come anytime soon. :'(
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: September 10, 2020, 05:24:33 pm »
Are you aware they already did most of that in Kirby Super Star?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #6906 on: September 10, 2020, 05:39:33 pm »
Perhaps Vanya is aware of that; I think he might be wishing for an NES version instead of an SNES version. Kirby Super Star is an SNES game after all.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: September 10, 2020, 05:56:11 pm »
Most, though I recall one level was removed.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: September 10, 2020, 05:58:47 pm »
I would love to see a 3-Player Hack for Lost Vikings 2 on SNES or Saturn where everyone controls a character. The first lost vikings has a 3-player mode on the Sega Genesis. but lost Vikings 2 is only a 2 player game
Oddly enough the SNES version of Lost Vikings 2 was, according to Nintendo Power, finished about a year and a half before it was released, simply because Interplay wanted to release all the versions at once.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6909 on: September 11, 2020, 02:43:14 am »
Spider-Man 2 (PS2) Improvement
-Adds a dive move (or dive kick move) that lets you quickly go back to the ground from mid-air - alternatively the game could allow stopping forward momentum at wukk after a jump from a wall, as is possible when performing a ground jump
-The camera doesn't go to side view while climbing
-Faster camera pitching to behind the avatar while performing a charged jump up to a roof top
-Larger hint markers so it's possible to swing into them and keep going afterwards instead of landing
-Can map dodge to a shoulder button (L1 or R1 since spider reflexes is also mapped to up on d-pad)
-Better turning controls while sprinting or sprint jumping
-Removed delay after breaking during a sprint to go in the other direction (not the break animation itself, just the delay after it)
-Full button config
-Upgradeable health bar (3 levels, find or buy at store)
-Somewhat more forgiving hit detection when jumping near platform edges so it's not as easy to accidentally waste a charge jump from taking half a step too far
-Can sit on top of spires like in the comics and the PS4 game (the pose exists but is only used on lamp posts and flag poles): https://i.ytimg.com/vi/aYryTSLMi20/maxresdefault.jpg

Bug fixes:
-Sometimes when climbing downwards and jumping off of a wall to the ground, you'll just jump while upside down into the ground
-Sometimes glitchy hit detection around rooftop (or other objects like boats) edges - you'll slide along the edge without grabbing onto it
-Sometimes you'll start climbing instead of wallsprinting when trying to do it (rare)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 05:56:52 am by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

littleAl

• View Profile
Re: Little hack for Bad News Baseball - easy gender selection
« Reply #6910 on: September 11, 2020, 02:48:48 am »
greetings, I am from the USA. Since c-19 i have not left my home. I bought a leg press and 6 cases of chicken wings.

All I have done is work my legs and get ripped- and play this wonderful ROM hack that has brought me so much joy.

This is the greatest baseball of all time. I had a dream we could select their field position by hitting select: infield in or deep

But as Kayne would say, I had a dream I could buy my heaven when I awoke I spent it on a necklace.

I only wish I could make such a mod for such a wonderful game because the only time I'm beat is on the deep hits at the track I can't get to.

That would be another awesome hack, extend the fences past 315ft  :woot!: :woot!: :woot!:

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: September 11, 2020, 02:53:01 pm »
We need a Pokemon Sword&Shield hack for NDS(Pokemon Black&White 2)

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: September 11, 2020, 02:55:07 pm »
Sakura Wars 2 for Saturn needs a fan translation asap so fans of the series can enjoy this

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: September 12, 2020, 08:48:13 am »
I wouldn't mind seeing those improvements for Spider-Man 2, one improvement I want to see for that game is one that will fix the color of J. Jonah Jameson's hair to make it more accurate to the movie. (I don't know why they made it all white in that game)

I also wouldn't seeing a demake of Sword & Shield, along with demakes of X & Y and Sun & Moon.

Mega Man (NES): A hack that will change the title screen into this:

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (All Ports): A improvement hack that will give Rogue her unused colors from X-Men vs. Street Fighter, give War Machine his own set of sprites and have the alternate version of the river stage appear in arcade mode as well:

confuzed

• View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: September 12, 2020, 01:42:43 pm »
Hello..

unfortunately this ---> http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/961/ does not work with the german version of LTTP. Can someone help or create the same files working with it?

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #6915 on: September 12, 2020, 04:25:50 pm »
Perhaps Vanya is aware of that; I think he might be wishing for an NES version instead of an SNES version. Kirby Super Star is an SNES game after all.

Correct.
Also, some of the suggestions I post are more because I think they would interesting to attempt to make.
For example, I think it would fun to remake SMB1 in SMB2u and in SMB3 just for the hell of it.

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #6916 on: September 12, 2020, 05:53:44 pm »
Correct.
Also, some of the suggestions I post are more because I think they would interesting to attempt to make.
For example, I think it would fun to remake SMB1 in SMB2u and in SMB3 just for the hell of it.
Yeah, I thought so.

Note: Also, what you refer to as SMB2U I refer to simply as SMB2. And forgive me for going off-topic, but personally, I think there ought to be only one SMB2. Too much confusion to have two of them out there. In my opinion, SMBTLL (AKA SMB2J) just doesn't cut it since it's way too similar to SMB, so I think the SMB2 the West got should be the only one. Just my opinion.

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #6917 on: September 12, 2020, 10:13:04 pm »
Something that makes Yoshi story into a more traditional Yoshi's Island style experience would be nice. 
Instead of playing through one of four levels in each world, play as all four levels in each world in succession.  Bosses would likely be moved to different levels so you didn't fight four bosses in a single world and Baby Bowser would need some fights removed to avoid fighting him four times.  It would also be nice if the goal that progresses the game could be changed to reaching the end of the level instead of simply eating fruit. Fruit could just be used for score and to recover health, although I think there should be less fruit in the game to make it a little less easy.
Also, remove the singing after each level if possible, that would get very annoying.  Maybe at the end of each world instead.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6918 on: September 13, 2020, 05:26:22 am »
I wouldn't mind seeing those improvements for Spider-Man 2, one improvement I want to see for that game is one that will fix the color of J. Jonah Jameson's hair to make it more accurate to the movie. (I don't know why they made it all white in that game)

Sure yeah. One could also make SM's suit colors more saturated as per the XB version.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #6919 on: September 13, 2020, 08:37:37 am »
Mega Man (NES): A hack that will change the title screen into this:

I actually did just that years ago when I was fiddling with the idea of a demake of Powered Up.
Unfortunately, that work is long gone at this point. But at the very least I can say that it wasn't difficult to accomplish, IIRC.

Note: Also, what you refer to as SMB2U I refer to simply as SMB2. And forgive me for going off-topic, but personally, I think there ought to be only one SMB2. Too much confusion to have two of them out there. In my opinion, SMBTLL (AKA SMB2J) just doesn't cut it since it's way too similar to SMB, so I think the SMB2 the West got should be the only one. Just my opinion.

I am generally of the opposite opinion. Though in reality, if you consider the timeline of events, SMB2u should really be SMB3 and SMB3 should be SMB4, etc... For me I just call it SMB2u in shorthand because everyone for the most part knows what I mean.
Plus, you can also consider that when they finally released the original version on it's own world wide (not part of a compilation) they didn't bother giving it an alternate title. It is just SMB2.
No "Lost Levels", no "For Super Players".
Of course, that could just be laziness! ;)