News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2417323 times)

johnny

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6760 on: July 23, 2020, 11:36:12 pm »
If you used a stage generator to make CV stages like Double Dragon, your idea doesn't seem so far fetched. Several CV's have already been made similarly in OpenBOR. I think the easiest way would be to use DD2 as the base rom, and just swap all sprites, background pallete, and music with those of CV. NES Richter as P1 and CV2 Simon as P2. As for changing the attack schemes, Dark function should work fine for new animations, although I don't yet know how to implement them into NES.  8)

Actually I was even thinking a really skilled person could use Zelda for this. Reason being is because I saw a romhack on here called Legend of Link which uses the feather to jump. If the feather was a default jump command it could be accomplished. Of course the sprites would have to be scaled down. As an example here is a Castlevania Sprite scaled down. Its not pretty but I guess you get the idea. Link's 8x16 character is more of a Chibi style so that would have to be adapted.

https://imgur.com/b6C29lc (I didn't take out the jpeg grainyness)

The good part about the sprites being so small is that the levels and bosses will look much larger and menacing. I think the biggest challenge with this would be getting these minivania character sprites to function correctly within a Zelda game without looking cartoonishy Chibi or with huge heads and small bodies. The shape of the sprite has to be proportionate to 8x16.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 12:21:47 am by johnny »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6761 on: July 24, 2020, 11:28:50 am »
I dont own a Super Gameboy and I believe it's hard to emulate
It's inconvenient, maybe, but it has absolutely been done.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6762 on: July 24, 2020, 11:36:29 am »
I wish there was a tutorial on how to edit Gameboy code, specifically a general tutorial on how to make GBC hacks to convert black and white games to color. I know that making a Gameboy colorizer would be hard because each game is different from the next, but I would assume that some code that's added/needed would be at least similar in many if the DX hacks or have a similar execution.
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6763 on: July 24, 2020, 07:30:27 pm »
That is one of those "if you have to ask" type deals. Anybody that can correct a problem already knows what they need to know (or to look it up) and said person that can correct a problem is unlikely to benefit from having a bunch of grunt work done*.

*for something like a text hack I reckon I can rest on my laurels as far as claiming to be able to find any encoding of a bit of random punctuation (possibly even without resorting to assembly approaches). Ask me to do that for a few hundred things and I am going to be very bored and possibly say no thanks but if someone coming up wants a go and is willing to suffer the tedium then yeah.

To that end
https://bgb.bircd.org/pandocs.htm or whatever your chosen GB/GBC hardware documentation might be.

Read up the hardware and piece together the differences that are likely to come into play here, or what you might want to use to solve a problem (if you have, or have the potential to have, double the CPU power in some senses of the term... though that might also involve understanding the problem too -- I can tell you that there is slowdown but correcting for that...). Shades of grey might not translate directly to colours but they do provide a reasonable basis, unless you want to step it up further still. You might also have problems with limited palettes (grey well and same grey npc might not be so bad but if that npc wants to now be red then my wall might look odd or gruesome) so there is that.

To that end I could probably automate a conversion to handle the header and detection you are on a GBC, and maybe even do reasonably well at auto finding a palette if you fed it a savestate (nice loop back search) to inject something generally working for most things (or maybe have some real fun and inject the various GBC inbuilt palettes). I doubt that is going to do much for anybody though.

Clippit

• View Profile
« Reply #6764 on: July 24, 2020, 07:33:42 pm »
hey, so, since Pac-Man Championship Edition on NES is a thing, think its sound and music can be slapped on the lame vanilla Pac-Man port? 'cus I dunno how they did it or what chip they used but the sound is arcade perfect, and I suspect maybe it wouldn't be too hard to do, as there's entire game music swaps in here, Sonic 5, Mappy Anniversary and DuckTales S3K hacks being good examples :u

also, if any of you people is good at swapping rom mappers n' stuff, think y'all could tackle this forgotten game up? 'cus it displays incorrectly in a couple emulators and I assume that'd help
http://www.lostlevels.org/block-out/
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #6765 on: July 26, 2020, 01:25:46 am »
Would it be possible to patch Crash bandicoot 1 so that you don't have to break all the crates in each level without dying like in the sequels that would be nice.

gameypants

• View Profile
« Reply #6766 on: July 26, 2020, 03:25:18 am »
I think someone should make a colorization of Donkey Kong GB that makes it resemble the SGB version for people who can't emulate the SGB.

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6767 on: July 26, 2020, 01:47:53 pm »
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, hack for Richter Mode; replace Richter's Axe, Holy Water, and Cross with Jonathan's. Add the Ricochet Rock as one of his Sub-Weapons. Make all of them Mastered by default. Remove Jonathan's grunts from the Cross and Ricochet Rock. Restore Richter's unused jump dive kick, fix it up to make it work properly, give it a straight down variant. And give his VK a Special Attack similar to Jonathan's.

Also as an extra; change the Hard Mode level caps from 01, 25, 50 to 01, 50, 99.
Bottom Text

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #6768 on: July 26, 2020, 09:22:00 pm »
Lol, .. where is the Super Mario Land 3 - Wario Land DX hack yet?

Also i noticed there is no game search entry for that game in this site, which i
find actually kind of strange.
-Blaster Master Hacker
-Learning, hacking Mario 3 currently

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #6769 on: July 27, 2020, 04:06:57 pm »
I've been on a Banjo Binge ever since playing the excellent Banjo Kazooie - Jiggies of Time mod ( bless Mark Kurko for making it console compatible or I likely wouldn't have gotten to play it. ) I've since replayed the original, Worlds Collide, a little bit of Dreamie, and now i'm currently replaying Banjo Tooie... which brings me to my "Idea I haven't the skill or knowledge for"

Would it at all be possible to retroactively add some of Banjo's mobility options in Tooie to Banjo Kazooie?  The games play so similarly that I have to imagine that the similarities are like that between Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3, and fans port features from Sonic 3 to the first two games like nothing.

Obviously I don't want the whole she-bang since BK wasn't built for all of Tooie's moves, but like... being able to steer the roll attack and beak barge, being able to swim twice as fast with B+A at the same time, being able to do a continuous beak bomb by holding B button in flight, being able to do a feather flap out of a talon trot jump, ect.  These would all make BK enhanced quite a bit and could be used for other mods.  Not losing your notes when you leave a world or die would be a nice touch too ( for those of us who don't have the Xbox ports).

I don't know a thing about hacking besides sprite work and I imagine N64 hackin is a great deal tougher than 8 and 16 bit games but it's still an idea I'd like to throw out there.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6770 on: July 27, 2020, 06:02:00 pm »
Idea for Ducktales I & II
Ducktales I:
→ Remove Timer and Time Limit

Ducktales I and II:
→ Add a [↑] prompt near characters so you can see what they have to say, rather than them interrupting you as soon as you touch them.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #6771 on: July 27, 2020, 08:31:58 pm »
Ducktales I and II:
→ Add a [↑] prompt near characters so you can see what they have to say, rather than them interrupting you as soon as you touch them.
If this is done in Ducktales I, you'd be able to skip getting sent to Transylvania from the mines for the key. The key is technically unnecessary to get through.

WingMantis

• View Profile
« Reply #6772 on: July 28, 2020, 12:11:41 am »
Idea: tweaking the leaked Akira prototype game for SEGA Genesis / Mega Drive.

bug fixes

add enemies?

Drop the best Road Rash programming/AI into the motorbike sections

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #6773 on: July 28, 2020, 11:59:25 am »
This is not an idea, but I just thought it would be nice to point out when something that appears in this thread gets made...

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5289/

Thanks to Evgeny for making 1942 more bearable to play. b^.^d

rogueKlyntar

• View Profile
« Reply #6774 on: July 28, 2020, 11:11:14 pm »
I'd like a hack for TLoZ DX that turns the game into a zeldaesque Adventure. Keep all the Adventure text and story and maps but make it look like a Zelda game. And of course you need to keep the dot-key, which is why I say a GBC hack rather than a GBA hack. A GBA hack is too much work for such a simple game like Adventure. Also I need it to be rockboy-compatible so, a GBA hack is out.
"Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest." - Patricia Tannis, Borderlands 2

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #6775 on: July 28, 2020, 11:32:27 pm »
I'm still riding that "Jiggies of Time" high. As I was playing Diddy Kong Racing earlier today I kept thinking "you could turn most of these tracks into collect-a-thon sand boxes with a little creativity. Liberties would need to be taken, but Jiggies of Time proves that taking liberties is actually A-OK.

Also you could apply the same principal to some of the Mario Kart tracks and Mario 64... maybe not all of them. I can't see Wario Stadium being fun unless it was one of those "castle secret stars", like the hidden slide level in Mario 64.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

lillith9910

• View Profile
« Reply #6776 on: July 29, 2020, 11:55:20 am »
This baffles me that it was never done but I would kill to see a translation of the first two one piece games for gameboy color:

Foffy

• View Profile
« Reply #6777 on: July 29, 2020, 07:51:50 pm »
Odd request here, but would anybody be interested in hacking in subtitles to the English version of Tenchu 2 for the cutscenes? The Japanese version, released months after the English version, actually features subtitles. Always found it odd that the first Tenchu had subtitles but the second game doesn't.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6778 on: July 29, 2020, 11:42:56 pm »
Subtitles for cutscenes, be they in game or videos, is a pain.

For videos you have two main approaches
1) Figure out the video format and encode them in, with whatever quality loss that causes (PS1 era video codecs that could play back on the PS1 not being renowned for their quality, hence most such projects usually wandering off to find a PC copy or reconstructing the video from trailers and whatnot). If it is a known format with a known encoder then great, if it is a simplistic motion jpeg or simple boxes style codec then great but most likely it is actually something of a then modern one with nice p frames, i frames, maybe b frames, motion tracking and the usual colour formats on top of it all and that is just decoding, you get to reverse that and make analysis code (or maybe you can cheat and not use compression and take the size hit). I usually get people to look at the format for MPEG1 (impossibly ancient and basic, even possibly the time of this game as MPEG2 was already a thing and MPEG4 had just been released as well)
1a) If you have an encoder for something else and code for it then you can potentially then put your own decoder into the game and go from there.
2) Overlay the subtitles on top of the video. Even assuming the video playback does not peg the CPU you still get to figure out the assembly hacks and do them.

In game cutscenes is usually a variation of 2) unless the game already has the functionality (is it available in some other scene, or maybe intro or credits, but not in this one?).

If another region has subtitles suitable for task in the video files (though if it is a nice bit of Japanese embedded in the video then... yeah) and the devs doing localisation had it slip their mind or something then a file swap might be the order of the day. Whether you have to chase this with an audio swap, or swapping out the audio in the video file, is a different matter but still easier than reverse engineering and making an encoder*. That is the sort of thing you might want to try yourself too.

*As I sit here then there are encoders with leaked versions, devs released the source, a few ancient PC games that used "basically a slideshow"/marginally tweaked known formats/ultra simple formats and a few others that usually use known formats with their own container (depending upon where you are in the world the video, the audio, the subtitles and the container might have their own royalties to pay, possibly even on a per released copy basis, hence why game devs often use things like rad/bink, CRI and all the others when they could trivially have made a AVI or MP4 decoder). There are a few more decoders (not least of all because of how many things use rad/bink) and even some stuff that plays like the various audio playback options by emulating a cut down ROM that only knows how to play back stuff. Either way the general dearth of them speaking to how hard this is.

Foffy

• View Profile
« Reply #6779 on: July 30, 2020, 06:11:01 pm »
Most of Tenchu 2's cutscenes are in-engine, realtime scenes. The Japanese version took advantage of the letterbox design of these scenes to add subtitles there. My guess, and this is perhaps a highlight of my own ignorance, would be to find what that new code is in the JP version, transplant that into the US version, and then replace the Japanese text that appears within these scenes with the English dialog. Unless someone wanted to actually translate the Japanese version itself as a workaround but that turns it more into a full blown fan translation...for a game already translated. I don't think a niche series would warrant all of that work, sadly, as much as I dig stealth games like Tenchu.

CG scenes would be another matter, but there's not many of those. None of these scenes have subtitles in the Japanese version, so I would imagine the obstacle is the video format itself.