News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2407467 times)

johnny

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6740 on: July 20, 2020, 02:45:10 pm »
An overhead NES game with this control scheme:

I would think the start and select buttons can be put to better use if an emulator has a pause function already on it. The only problem would be playing the game on an actual NES Console. You'd have no way to pause the game. However, imagining an 8 Bit Castlevania game where you could move up, down, left and right while still being able to have a character that functions the same as in a side scrolling mode would be pretty cool if it was doable.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 03:25:10 pm by johnny »

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6741 on: July 21, 2020, 05:24:39 am »
a hack for SNES Doom (and any other FPS on SNES for that matter) that would add a "dual analog" mode would be great

have the dpad - move/strafe, have Y&B to turn left and right, hold L for run and R to shoot, X change weapon and A accep/open

i know you can do it however in a emulator, but it would be cool for people who use actual hardware (similar could be done for GBA FPSs too!)

Mattrizzle

• View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: July 21, 2020, 07:26:57 am »
1. snes nba jam te - add music during matches like the arcade
The issue is that the announcer lines take too much space in the SNES's 64KB of audio RAM to have decent quality music. The quality and/or quantity of these samples would need to be sacrificed. However, this would be possible without sacrifices using MSU-1.

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #6743 on: July 21, 2020, 07:38:56 am »

I would think the start and select buttons can be put to better use if an emulator has a pause function already on it. The only problem would be playing the game on an actual NES Console. You'd have no way to pause the game. However, imagining an 8 Bit Castlevania game where you could move up, down, left and right while still being able to have a character that functions the same as in a side scrolling mode would be pretty cool if it was doable.
If you used a stage generator to make CV stages like Double Dragon, your idea doesn't seem so far fetched. Several CV's have already been made similarly in OpenBOR. I think the easiest way would be to use DD2 as the base rom, and just swap all sprites, background pallete, and music with those of CV. NES Richter as P1 and CV2 Simon as P2. As for changing the attack schemes, Dark function should work fine for new animations, although I don't yet know how to implement them into NES.  8)
Insert "Witty Text" here.

Butterhands

• View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: July 21, 2020, 10:37:15 am »
A way to swap analog and D-Pad controls in the WII VC channels.

Poppler

• View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: July 21, 2020, 05:08:02 pm »
- A hack for Contra III: Alien Wars to fix the missing floor bug after the fire scene in Level 1 (surprised nobody has fixed it yet). Could be merged with the SA-1 patch.

- A hack to be able to choose not to lose weapons after a hit in Axelay.

drax01

• View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: July 21, 2020, 06:35:20 pm »
Good afternoon, I really enjoy hacks, I wanted to know if someone could do a mortal kombat 2 hack with fatalities and ladder.

Also do a simple hack of donkey kong country 4 removing the "4" and the game from the jungle book, rather leaving only donkey kong country.

Thanks.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: July 21, 2020, 07:28:11 pm »

Hold jump button to kneel, tap to jump, problem solved.

Butterhands

• View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: July 21, 2020, 08:59:54 pm »
Seriously... Nobody know how swap the D-PAD and analog stick mapping in the N64 VC channel in the WII? (Not WIIu)

terinindrell

• View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: July 22, 2020, 10:08:06 am »
Doom for the SNES could be improved with an SA-1 patch

The source code for Doom on the SNES was released recently: here's a link . According to what I've heard from more knowledgeable people; the main issues causing the game's low framerate is the slow clock speed of the main CPU. In fact, people have found that the game runs faster when the CPU is overclocked in an emulator. If atleast some of the load could be transferred to the SA-1 chip (a faster version of the Ricoh 5A22 essentially), the game would run significantly better. What I am suggesting is definitely ludicrous, this would be the first SNES game with an SA-1 and a Super FX2 chip working together. That sounds too good (and stupid) to be true but I somehow have faith in the community that it would work.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #6750 on: July 22, 2020, 10:51:49 am »
I can even swap buttons in Legend of Zelda Four Swards Adventure so I can play it more comfortably on my Wii U.

Butterhands

• View Profile
« Reply #6751 on: July 22, 2020, 11:08:02 am »
I can even swap buttons in Legend of Zelda Four Swards Adventure so I can play it more comfortably on my Wii U.
Yep, but I need of do this in the WII, then I think the only way is then hacking the installation WAD. There is a way? Someone know how do it? Which WAD archive's file is involved?

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6752 on: July 22, 2020, 02:02:18 pm »
Addendum hack for Mega Man 3 Improvement that reverts the changes made to the Boss Energy Gauge and the Energy refill animation.
Bottom Text

CoolCatBomberMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6753 on: July 22, 2020, 02:53:06 pm »
I DID have an idea, but this is the wrong place for it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 03:04:21 pm by CoolCatBomberMan »

Shadowman621

• View Profile
« Reply #6754 on: July 23, 2020, 02:25:07 am »
Here's a hack I thought up for Harvest Moon 2 on the GBC.

Making the miracle glove obtainable without needing to link, and making all seeds available to both the boy and girl instead of having gender exclusive seeds

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6755 on: July 23, 2020, 10:48:41 am »
Has anybody started work on a Kirby's Dreamland 2 DX hack? I'm not trying to sound entitled, but I just played Kirby's Dreamland DX and Kirby's Dreamland 3 and was wondering if there was a KDL2 DX hack in progress before I started that game.

Also, does anybody know of a Mega Man V DX hack? It's my favorite of the Mega Man Gameboy games, but would definitely benefit from a color hack if anybody's interested......  ;)

Speaking of GBC hacks, how hard are these DX hacks to make? I'm just a newbie at ROMHACKING, but would love to learn how to edit palettes to give Gameboy games color. Is there a tool like FCEUX that people use to edit hex code and insert color, or is it normally done by learning Gameboy code (which I don't know if I'd be good at, but would be interested in taking a shot).

Sorry for all the questions, I just am pretty interested in a lot of Gameboy games, but would be WAY more interested in full Color versions of them (as I would assume others would too, look at the popularity of Super Mario Land 1 and 2 DX, Kirby's Dreamland DX, and Dr. Mario DX!)
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6756 on: July 23, 2020, 10:56:02 am »
Yes, you probably would have to learn coding to convert them.

I know someone had previously a tool to colorize games, but I hear the results were incredibly buggy and that is why other people had to redo the work (those earliest hacks had done) manually anyways.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

CoolCatBomberMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6757 on: July 23, 2020, 03:32:10 pm »
KDL2 and MMV were among the few games with their own specific palette when played on Super Game Boy. Those are the closest to DX hacks we got.

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6758 on: July 23, 2020, 09:12:34 pm »
Yes, you probably would have to learn coding to convert them.

I know someone had previously a tool to colorize games, but I hear the results were incredibly buggy and that is why other people had to redo the work (those earliest hacks had done) manually anyways.

I would use the Gameboy colorizer if it didnt produce buggy results that I didnt know how to fix  :D

KDL2 and MMV were among the few games with their own specific palette when played on Super Game Boy. Those are the closest to DX hacks we got.

I dont own a Super Gameboy and I believe it's hard to emulate, so I would be estatic if those two games got a DX hack. Better cross my fingers........
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #6759 on: July 23, 2020, 11:36:12 pm »
If you used a stage generator to make CV stages like Double Dragon, your idea doesn't seem so far fetched. Several CV's have already been made similarly in OpenBOR. I think the easiest way would be to use DD2 as the base rom, and just swap all sprites, background pallete, and music with those of CV. NES Richter as P1 and CV2 Simon as P2. As for changing the attack schemes, Dark function should work fine for new animations, although I don't yet know how to implement them into NES.  8)

Actually I was even thinking a really skilled person could use Zelda for this. Reason being is because I saw a romhack on here called Legend of Link which uses the feather to jump. If the feather was a default jump command it could be accomplished. Of course the sprites would have to be scaled down. As an example here is a Castlevania Sprite scaled down. Its not pretty but I guess you get the idea. Link's 8x16 character is more of a Chibi style so that would have to be adapted.

https://imgur.com/b6C29lc (I didn't take out the jpeg grainyness)

The good part about the sprites being so small is that the levels and bosses will look much larger and menacing. I think the biggest challenge with this would be getting these minivania character sprites to function correctly within a Zelda game without looking cartoonishy Chibi or with huge heads and small bodies. The shape of the sprite has to be proportionate to 8x16.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 12:21:47 am by johnny »