News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2416868 times)

ComboMan

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6660 on: June 20, 2020, 10:49:00 pm »
In the classic Mortal Kombat games I've always wanted to finish off my punches and combos (MK3-MKT, unless the combos were set to auto in MKT) after the round has ended like the CPU can.  It always drove me nuts not being able to finish my string of attacks, especially when I had one more hit left to do.  I know it's not a very big idea, more like a quality of life.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6661 on: June 21, 2020, 04:33:23 pm »
Armored Core (PS1) Improvement:
Controls/interface:
-Dual analog support
-Quick turn move or faster turning in general
-Can choose to replay a mission right after finishing it
-Can equip what you just bought while in the shop interface
-Can see a comparison between what you have equipped and what you're looking at while shopping
-All menus wrap around when browsing them
-Can hover at a set altitude (trigger button (since it's not used with dual analog) or L/R3 maybe?)
-Less easy to get stuck on obstacles when moving or using the sword
-Don't lose momentum after you stop dashing
-Better camera when backing up against a wall (or transparent avatar)
-Dashing+strafing doesn't make your lock-on crosshair move towards the edge of the screen in the opposite direction unless you're circle strafing
-Added map screen compass
-The camera doesn't focus on the bottom of your mech when jumping instead of what you're looking at

-Easier to gain money early on and perhaps harder in the mid-late game

-Removed beeping in the destroy fuel depot mission and while checking the map

-Can go overweight and still enter missions but there's a speed penalty in proportion too how overweight you are

-Smarter enemies (can't shoot enemies from outside of their range without them moving, enemies don't kill themselves on cover they're standing next to (eliminate strikers mission) or shoot each other in the back (destroy unknown MTs etc.) or shoot into walls/doors when you're behind them and clearly can't be hit)

-Something more to spend money on in the late game (a better booster or generator for the 4-legs type would've been good, or hidden parts you missed could become available)

-Added clues to the hidden parts

-Better info on what you'll face for the next mission besides mid-mission ambushes

-Rebalanced difficulty (spikes: eliminate squatters, stop gas exposure, final mission (destroy floating mines); dips: worker robot removal, Destroy Plus Escapee, Destroy space catapult (cut short as you approach it and then it's easy to escape), your allies in the "stop terrorist threat" mission die a bit slower and communicate when they're getting attacked, less frustrating vertical platforming segment in the final mission (small moving platforms in a long shaft+turrets and enemies while climbing)

-Less backtracking out of the huge pit in the Kill the "Struggle" leader mission and less dead space in other missions (for example when backtracking with the captured object in the Capture Space Station mission there are no hazards or new enemies appearing)

-The humanoid legs with good carry capacity are a bit faster (not really worth using in the original)

-More varied or shorter "exterminate organisms" mission

-Can equip the best laser rifle combined with the 4-legs type legs at a minor speed penalty?
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6662 on: June 22, 2020, 12:41:35 am »
Hmmm...after seeing some rare official games that lets you play as Princess Peach on platformers, I got to thinking...I wonder if someone can do a few mod hacks to have Peach playable in the first 2 Mario Land games.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6663 on: June 22, 2020, 02:54:54 pm »
someone needs to get this and make a patch out of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YTfqlFR32A

for this site

ps. dont ask me why i am not do it, i am an elderly. and as such have no knowledge of what a "dischord" is

June 22, 2020, 03:00:21 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
also, i am too stupid to check before posting to see if it's on here. LOL

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5213/
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 03:00:21 pm by IAmCaptPlanet »

Poppler

• View Profile
« Reply #6664 on: June 22, 2020, 05:09:49 pm »
Patches for Earthworm Jim on the Mega Srdive:

- EAWJ1: Add the snes missing background in Boss 2 stage and the clouds in the bungee jumping stage if possible.

- EAWJ2: Left just one Puppy Love level alone, so the game doesn't get so long and boring. Add some snes details if possible, like the backgroudns in the food level.

nahucirujano

• View Profile
« Reply #6665 on: June 22, 2020, 05:36:49 pm »
Recently it came out Namco Museum Archives Vol 1 and 2.
Vol 1 includes a "demake" of Pac-Man Championship Edition for NES (it's an actual NES rom).
The thing is that it has a Normal mode of 5 minutes and an Extra mode (my favourite) of 3 minutes.
Would be possible to edit the game so Extra mode has 5 minutes too?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 07:19:10 pm by nahucirujano »

KiKi123

• View Profile
« Reply #6666 on: June 22, 2020, 07:52:14 pm »
I would like to request a hack to improve the extremely choppy audio in the arcade versions of both NBA Jam and NBA Jam Tournament Edition.
Can someone PLEASE make this happen?
As much as I love the arcade version of these games, I just refuse to play them with the choppy audio.
I have yet to find a MAME rom of them that doesn't have choppy audio..and I am quite certain by now that none exist.

TheUnderfaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6667 on: June 23, 2020, 07:46:47 am »
I would like to request a hack to improve the extremely choppy audio in the arcade versions of both NBA Jam and NBA Jam Tournament Edition.
Can someone PLEASE make this happen?
As much as I love the arcade version of these games, I just refuse to play them with the choppy audio.
I have yet to find a MAME rom of them that doesn't have choppy audio..and I am quite certain by now that none exist.

That's emulator related, doesn't happy in the actual arcade game.
something about the Midway Audio driver being a bitch to emulate, same thing happens with Mortal Kombat.

What emulator do you use?

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6668 on: June 23, 2020, 10:21:13 am »
I know some people probably won't like this idea, but I wouldn't mind hearing a fandub of the Digimon PSP game at some point. Or at least a fandub of the recently translated Sailor Moon PC Engine game. I mean the subs are nice and all that, but there are some people who want to hear some dialogues in English.

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #6669 on: June 23, 2020, 09:14:36 pm »
How about an improvement hack for Castlevania Dracula X for SNES.

-Reduce the knock back.
-Increase the recovery time.
-Improve the jumping controls to be like Super Castlevania 4.
-Restore some of the crosses and blood from the Japanese version.
-Remove the pits for the Dracula fight.
I just submitted a patch that removes those annoying pits, it should be available on the site soon. Until then, it can be downloaded here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pb2Gaewzr74qoLoDrZ5N6L5CvYUEyCCy/view?usp=sharing

Don't expect anything more from me on this game though, this was just a quick fun thing to do for a day.

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #6670 on: June 23, 2020, 09:48:53 pm »
Well ...  after a very long while,  i am considering doing 3 more Blaster Master hacks with completely new layouts.
Every single level rebuilt from the ground up.

I am going to do this, so this isn't so much as a hack idea somebody isn't going to do, but 'I'm' going to do this eventually.

The next one i have planned is Blaster Master Typhoon.
There will be a-lot more water in the very first level.

I am hardcore Blaster Master, so don't ask me why i'm making yet another level hack.
I just enjoy it from time to time.
-Blaster Master Hacker
-Learning, hacking Mario 3 currently

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #6671 on: June 23, 2020, 10:42:45 pm »
For any RPGs that have random enemy encounters, a way of resuming the music close to where it was right before the encounter. This could be handled by:
  • Pushing the track pointers and state of all sound registers at the time of the encounter, and restoring them after the encounter
  • Storing multiple states of songs at a convenient point to resume (such as, at the start of a new section), and resuming the song from one of these states based on where the song was interrupted, or even just round robin
  • Storing duplicates of entire songs / track pointers in different sequence of song sections (e.g., the first duplicate of the song starts in the middle instead of the beginning) and cycling between them after each encounter
It really gets on my nerves hearing a song start over again and again. My most painful recollection is with Phantasy Star 3 dungeon music, which probably prevented me from finishing the game. Phantasy Star 2 wasn't innocent either, and I loved the music, but the repetition drove me nuts.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6672 on: June 24, 2020, 01:04:33 pm »
Looking back at the Disney Magical Quest games on SNES and GBA, I noticed one thing that should have been done. On the second game, on the SNES, it was titled Great Circus Mystery and even though the third game got translated, it didn't have a unique title like Circus Mystery/Magical Quest 2 did. I was wondering if a new title could be implemented on the 3rd game or, if you wanna keep it in consistency, have the second title on the SNES version change back to Magical Quest 2, but in English like they had with the GBA port. Thought I'd ask

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #6673 on: June 24, 2020, 04:45:24 pm »
How about an improvement hack for Castlevania Dracula X for SNES.

-Reduce the knock back.
-Increase the recovery time.
-Improve the jumping controls to be like Super Castlevania 4.
-Restore some of the crosses and blood from the Japanese version.
-Remove the pits for the Dracula fight.

I would think this would greatly improve the game.

Not really what you been looking for but I was mostly frustrated by how slow the game is. I increased the moonwalk speed. So when you hold Y you can run backwards. Once I had in mind to release it since I had a good time with it but it is too cheep. I don't think I will to much for this game any time soon.

Patch for RunSpeedMoonwalk:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzxm6hwpcod17jr/Dracula%20X%20%28U%29%20FastMoonwalk.zip?dl=0
CV ROM DiscordServer
https://discord.gg/PvFgxRg

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6674 on: June 25, 2020, 03:31:18 am »
I was able to restore the red blood for both Richter & Death and the original sprite for the cross weapon.

But I can't figure out how to restore the tombstones, Death's original defeated animation and the cross weapon sprite icon that appears in Richter’s life bar, I have no idea where they are in all three ROMs.

Fox Bluereaver

• View Profile
« Reply #6675 on: June 25, 2020, 03:56:52 pm »
Can't believe I registered here so many years ago, yet I never posted anything.

Anyway, I've been using the patches for the PSX Mega Man games, and they've made the experience A LOT more enjoyable. In X5 and X6, they've removed pretty much every single thing that made those games so tedious, and I don't have to put up with that annoying VA in the cinematics of X4 and MM8.

Still, one of my major complains in X4 is how unfair I feel the game is when playing as Zero compared to X. For starters, the Shippuuga feels like an almost useless attack until the final boss (to me at least), and it's supposed to be Magma Dragoon's weakness (the Raijingeki hits him harder, but the only safe moment to use it is when he uses his fire breath attack). And the Black Armor doesn't do give him anything, unlike X5 and X6.

If anybody's up for it, I'd like to see somebody fix those issues in X4. Like making the Shippuuga an actual weakness (giving it similar stun effect as X's Double Cyclone) and make the Black Armor an actual powerup (damage halved with no recoil, Tenkuuha by default, and maybe giving the Rakuhouha a couple of extra uses).

On another front, has anybody considered making an X7 demake in 2D with the X4-X6 style?

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: June 25, 2020, 10:17:29 pm »
Here's a few ideas for an improvement hack for Megaman 1.

-Have the recovery time protect you from spikes like in the sequels.

-Have hyper bombs explode when they hit an enemy.

-Remove the need to find blocks just to use super arm allowing the player to use it anytime they feel.

-Add in the slide and charge shot.

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #6677 on: June 26, 2020, 06:23:54 am »
I just submitted a patch that removes those annoying pits (...)

YOU DID IT!
I can't believe!
Thank you SO much for this!

:beer: :thumbsup: :woot!:
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

foiopaulo

• View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: June 26, 2020, 07:48:31 am »
Some games that never received any love, and should get a hack:

- Metal Warriors (SNES)
- Demon's Crest (SNES)
- Treasure Hunter G (SNES)

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #6679 on: June 26, 2020, 08:51:30 am »
Not really what you been looking for but I was mostly frustrated by how slow the game is. I increased the moonwalk speed. So when you hold Y you can run backwards. Once I had in mind to release it since I had a good time with it but it is too cheep. I don't think I will to much for this game any time soon.

Patch for RunSpeedMoonwalk:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzxm6hwpcod17jr/Dracula%20X%20%28U%29%20FastMoonwalk.zip?dl=0

I tried the patch and it worked — and I found out very interesting...
Could help on a serious play run.

Question:

Why did you assign it to the Y (whip/attack) button?
Why not assign it, for example to L button?
(For Belmont's Family holy sake not to R button, please  :laugh:)

I think it could work best t use it on the B (jump button), what do you think?
Is it possible to release another version?

OH MY GOD. I know this game FOR YEARS, and NEVER, EVER, knew we had such a feature like WALK BACKWARDS while pressing Y! I can't believe it!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 06:28:58 pm by cospefogo »
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."