News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1959655 times)

NesDraug

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6580 on: May 11, 2020, 02:48:45 pm »
I was wondering if anyone here has made a list of games (specifically NES games, but 16-bit is okay too) that have GREAT gameplay, but POOR-quality art assets? I would think that these would be some of the best games to give a graphics hack, since it would breath new life into something that most people won't touch simply because of the poor art.

I'm also interested in this.
I've started a similar thread a while ago.
But I wish to know awful games that have been fixed.

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=29890.msg388720#msg388720
Hello! You found my shop of strange and wonderful things!
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/nesdraug

atpstudios

• View Profile
« Reply #6581 on: May 11, 2020, 03:23:44 pm »
Okay someone really needs to do this hack idea! It would be the BEST way to play Pokemon gen 1 AND BEST OF ALL it would be super easy to do, I would do it if I knew how

- ADD RUNNING SHOES WHILE HOLDING B
- MAKE THE SELECT BUTTON A QUICK CUSTOM BUTTON FOR YOUR BIKE ECT.
- FIND OUT HOW TO APPLY THE FULLY COLORED OVER WORLD FROM THE RED AND BLUE FULL COLOR HACK TO YELLOWS WORLD
- MAKE HMS OVER WORLD ABILITIES ONLY NOT IN BATTLE AND TAKING UP A MOVE SPOT

I found out this wouldn't be that hard at all, I tried to download the pokemon blue full color overworld patch to a pokemon yellow rom and of course it didn't work, but I was curious and thought it might work on other hacks? For example theres this hack called Pokemon Cock version and I figured since it was a hack of blue and red version I wanted to see if it worked and sure enough the game worked in full color! If I was able to do that then im sure it wouldn't be very hard to somehow transfer over that over world color hack over to Yellow version, then from there adding running shoes for the B button I assume wouldn't be too difficult

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6582 on: May 11, 2020, 07:22:02 pm »
If you are imagining some games that mainly ended up with programmer art that you can swap out some pixels, or maybe draw a whole new set, for, or maybe tweak some palettes then I don't know how many there might be but I would expect low. Most examples will probably be failures on the animation front and that often ends up needing new frames or straight up animation twiddling (possibly also hitbox) which is most likely then back in the realms of more determined hacking.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #6583 on: May 11, 2020, 07:27:36 pm »
Indeed, as Fast6191 points out, the NES is a highly technically intensive platform for the arts department. I was extremelly lucky to find that in Super Pitfall the background was entirely ready for new graphics, it was just unused. Despite that, it still required some extensive data hacking for the new BG metatiles, not just CHR hacking though. You can only go so far by only editting the CHR.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6584 on: May 11, 2020, 08:31:21 pm »
To go a bit further. Are you imagining this is something like I used to see in flash games where some kid would make a pretty decent game but the MS paint art held it back (or could really pop if they got some good stuff), but for the NES and SNES or megadrive?
Say something with a giant out or proportion head, but not in a still looks cool like River City Ransom way, and you want to shave a few pixels or change proportions to get it nice.

Maybe put a nice bit of shading (hoping any palette swaps fall in line or you handle those as well) on something, or flashier energy things, just to juice things a little more..

For animations I have liked
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/Lemming_animation.gif
Same number of frames, same tile size. One on the right far nicer to look at.

Repeat all that for backgrounds.

The sort of thing you could say load up a tile editor, be told all the stuff is in these locations, and then go to town on your own time?

I am going to say good luck with that, unless you want to take on the Phantasy Star 3 holy war (I really don't like the looks at all, 2 and especially 4 are great though). There were some ugly games (everybody wanted to have a mascot character back in those days, and being the nineties it was all about 'tude or "kids like gross stuff") but they also usually handled like sludge, had less than stellar level design even if you did make things more snappy in the controls front (such things are eminently doable in hacks, however it is not necessarily a 5 minute job, even more so if you want to play with cameras a bit https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iNSQIyNpVGHeak6isbP6AHdHD50gs8MNXF1GCf08efg/pub?embedded=true ), difficulty was all over the place (assuming it was not a collectathon), sounded sometimes OK actually but usually eh. A lot of those otherwise bad games also often had pretty good art too, especially some of the 16 bit stuff.

Or if you prefer there is a reason most such hacks are decensoring, making things look like the arcade, simple colour changes (possibly as part of decensoring), making things look like earlier or later entries in the franchise, or plain old spoof.

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #6585 on: May 12, 2020, 04:21:50 am »
I like the game Socket for the Genesis but that sound you hear when your low on energy is really annoying.It would be nice if it was removed.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6586 on: May 12, 2020, 07:09:55 am »
Blaster Master: Blasting Again (PS1) - Full Blast Edition
-Dual Analog support with yaw and pitch for the right stick
-Added regular strafing for the pilot - this should help with avoiding some of the nastier enemies in the indoors segments
-Can map the camera angle toggle to a button or button combo
-Faster climbing with the tank upgrade
-Item inventory for the pilot and you can take more hits before losing weapon levels
-Added auto-aiming for the pilot when at weapon level 5 or 6 - should help with some of the more annoying enemies and the bat boss
-Longer flight energy boost from such power ups gained from enemies (and perhaps more energy by default) so that the timing isn't as tight to reach the mid-air ones in some segments
-Teleport between save points in the overworld
-HP and ammo refill after bosses
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Leonardo Macedo

• View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: May 12, 2020, 03:42:44 pm »
Hello people! Could someone please hack into the World Driver Championship for N64 so that it works in full screen in high resolution mode?

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #6588 on: May 12, 2020, 07:11:03 pm »
Hello people! Could someone please hack into the World Driver Championship for N64 so that it works in full screen in high resolution mode?
Do you mean widescreen?

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: May 13, 2020, 03:02:56 am »
Mega Man: The Wily Wars (Genesis): A hack that will give Protoman actual new sprites:

Same thing with other characters that didn't get new sprites.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6590 on: May 13, 2020, 08:42:05 am »
Do you mean widescreen?
That can mean a few things.

1) The N64 had multiple resolutions it could display at, high resolution then being something of a marketing term in the end even within the system (never mind outside it -- CRTs of the day were commonly significantly above 1080 vertical res)
For want of a better link (and possibly the first time I have ever landed here on a search)
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4vgd91/contrary_to_popular_belief_very_few_n64_games_ran/
Looking the game up it seems like it has a nice 640x480 rendering. I don't know if this is an emulator issue, or the devs cheated a bit and had a render mode include a bunch of car frame or something to mask that it was not strictly 640x480 3d rendering. If that is the case and they were as good as I think they might have been (if they managed nominal high resolution, extensive microcode fiddling and were playing at the end of the N64's life with some pretty decent time-tested devs then they can probably be considered to more or less know their stuff) then I do not hold out much hope here. Though it does not require the expansion pack so if there is something that might allow you to lean into memory to boost it then maybe. I also don't know how many such hacks we have ever seen for the N64.

2) The emulator rendering hacks wherein the viewport and whatever else, maybe with some PC side texture replacement, is done to effect a higher resolution. If it is an error with this then that would likely be an emulator problem, though hacks have been made to sort emulator issues before.

3) With this Mario 64 source code reconstruction/decompilation we have seen high resolution, widescreen and increasingly so much more (prototype render distance boost to way past level edge I saw last night, tweaked camera, controls, ports to any number of devices... and being nice and source available that is set to increase). Several other games are in the works but there are still rather involved projects, and I have not seen any mention of this game being a target (not to mention if it leans as heavily into the microcode stuff as some appear to have it then that is going to make life difficult).
I don't think the poster here is asking for that but we will probably see it in the months to come.

SinWorld

• View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: May 13, 2020, 11:35:05 am »
for shadowgate [nes]

https://www.thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Wiki/index.php?title=Shadowgate
says
0076 - Cursor X
0077 - Cursor Y
00AB - Cursor X
00AC - Cursor Y
00AF - Cursor Position
   00 - Look
00F5 - Controller 1 Poll Press
00F7 - Controller 1 Poll Down

since the back and forth with the cursor is tedious, how to make a hack where
if i press b, the cursor go to '00 - Look' (as seen above) and if i press b again it will go back to the previous position on the exploration-screen.
if this toggle-b function is hard how about pressing b takes you to '00 - Look'

kazenadama

• View Profile
Tales of Destiny DC hack possible?
« Reply #6592 on: May 13, 2020, 02:39:14 pm »
Hey all, I know how doomed this game has been since A0 dropped it, and that this is a long stretch.

I know a group of people who are willing to translate the game and do whatever means necessary to bring this game to English. Our problem--we lack a skilled hacker and programmer, and PS2 Tales are quite notorious for their weird formats. Because of this, it's beyond our ability to hack the game and create a patch.

We are looking for a starting point in the hacking side of things. Whether it's someone who has interest in doing it and taking up the task, or who can at least give us some starting advice. None of us are savvy when it comes to programming, so at this point, anything at all would be helpful!

Our potential project members are passionate fans of Tales who love Destiny DC and other unlocalized Tales games, and have worked on various small scale translation projects for Tales in the past. We'd love to see this game make it to a Western audience, and are really hoping to start somewhere with it!

Please reach out to us if you are interested!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: May 13, 2020, 03:58:26 pm »
Can't say I ever found NES shadowgate very tedious on the controls front, though it was the first and main version I played so maybe I got used to it.

In theory it is not very hard (finding a hook for the buttons probably being the hardest) and you only need to create a little push-pop type arrangement and reset a flag so you know where you are at.

If you just want it to go to 00 (personally I would go with middle of the screen, or maybe near the menus, but you do what you want) if your NES emulator or flash cart has a cheat option you can toggle on then make a couple of cheats to set the X and Y values to what you want and just fire the cheat on (or on and off if that needs to be the thing).

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: May 13, 2020, 11:15:49 pm »
Mega Man: The Wily Wars (Genesis): A hack that will give Protoman actual new sprites:

Same thing with other characters that didn't get new sprites.

Cool. Maybe that will help make him and the other Megaman characters (Roll especially) playable if it goes well.

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: May 14, 2020, 09:18:34 am »
For the second category, Sega MegaDrive Lion King -  I always found the delay between pushing the jump button and actually jumping to be intolerable. This is probably a "simple" matter of reducing the number of frames in the animation, or the duration of certain frames.

I never found out if it's otherwise a good game, because I couldn't stand this flaw.

I was wondering if anyone here has made a list of games (specifically NES games, but 16-bit is okay too) that have GREAT gameplay, but POOR-quality art assets? I would think that these would be some of the best games to give a graphics hack, since it would breath new life into something that most people won't touch simply because of the poor art.

A secondary topic would be which games have great gameplay EXCEPT for one or two problems. Jump distance and knock back might be the easiest to fix. Hit detection for weapons (such as increasing weapon reach) or platforms would probably be more difficult but still possible without rewriting the whole game engine. 

If someone wants to direct me to somewhere in this 329+ page thread (or another thread) that would be fine. I already tried Google searching here, so maybe it hasn't been covered yet.

octorox

• View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: May 14, 2020, 08:33:07 pm »
I would really like to see a Pokemon Red/Blue hack that rolls together a bunch of quality of life fixes without overhauling the game to the point that it feels like a modern remake, or changing Pokemon data to the point that your mons can't be transfered to later games.

Here's what I would specifically want to see (many of these already exist as part of larger hacks like Red++):
-B-Button Dash
-Faster Surfing and Bicycle
-Ability to register Key Items to the Select button
-Ability to use HMs like Cut, Surf and Strength by walking up to the interactable object and pressing "A" (no need to go into menu)
-Gen 1 battle system and move property changes from Pokemon Stadium (including working crit system)
-Updated learnsets from Pokemon Yellow
-Expanded inventory size (30 instead of 20)
-Bug and script fixes
-Pokeball Icon on battle screen showing if a wild Pokemon's species is already caught
-B/W2 Repel system (asks if you want to use another repel when the first runs out)
-Caught Pokemon are automatically put in the next box when the current one is full.
-Delete or relearn moves in the Pokemon center, maybe via the PC?
-Make TMs multi-use or integrate better TMs into learnsets?
-Option for expanded learnsets that include Gen 2 "tradeback" moves
-Option at the start of the game to select a female Trainer (based on original Sugimori concept art)
-Option to change how trade evolutions are accomplished and make all 150 Pokemon catchable in one game for emu players
-Compatibility with full color hack and spaceworld backsprites

What I wouldn't want to change is the most of the text, the graphics, content etc. Just QOL stuff.

Riggan

• View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: May 14, 2020, 10:58:47 pm »
Seems like a dumb question to ask, but has anyone made a fix for Castlevania (NES) PRG 1 invisibility potion crash when Simon is walking through doors? I was looking over all the rom hacks, but haven't seen that one specified.

SinWorld

• View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: May 16, 2020, 04:29:29 am »
Can't say I ever found NES shadowgate very tedious on the controls front, though it was the first and main version I played so maybe I got used to it.

In theory it is not very hard (finding a hook for the buttons probably being the hardest) and you only need to create a little push-pop type arrangement and reset a flag so you know where you are at.

If you just want it to go to 00 (personally I would go with middle of the screen, or maybe near the menus, but you do what you want) if your NES emulator or flash cart has a cheat option you can toggle on then make a couple of cheats to set the X and Y values to what you want and just fire the cheat on (or on and off if that needs to be the thing).

how about adding mouse controls? ie mouse moves the game cursor and click simulates press (this is even better than my idea from before). if it is touchscreen, touch = clicks at the area. is this more complicated to do, are there any emulators that can use mouse like this for point and click games?

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: May 16, 2020, 09:09:07 am »
Is there a NES mouse accessory? Granted this would probably be closer to a NES drawing tablet if you want to click on things.

If there is a mouse or possibly a roller ball then the emulator might allow for it. Otherwise you might end up code bothering for an emulator to do it for you as a kind of virtual controller.

If it is for the PC you might be able to use something like the Lua extension options in FCUEX and some of the TAS emulators to pipe in mouse locations from a transparent overlay -- it sounds like the location values already are known so you just need to take PC values (possibly accounting for resolution and multiple screens), and then pipe in acceptable values to the NES program (don't know what it will be here but it is probably just going to be position / resolution all multiplied by max value on the NES and rounded accordingly, and then done again for the other axis. Fudge factors and acceleration might be a thing but hopefully your PC already has that. It might have some traps I have not accounted for but no reason not to try that approach first).
Even without Lua you could probably kick it old school external cheat program style (think emuhaste, artmoney and the like where you find the emulated device's RAM location within the emulator's RAM) and have something, however at that point you are programming something real to handle it. That said you might be able to use one of those macro programs if they have the option to inject values into another program or you care to chain it with something that can (enjoy your virus warning).
With everybody however playing on consoles, phones/tablets and things like raspberry pis this style of mod is rather unfashionable at this point compared to a few years back but it should be able to achieve results, and if it is only for your personal play and anybody else that enjoys it is a bonus then who cares.
This sort of thing is also sometimes useful to disabled peeps so they might have something more, though in most cases that will be more for changing conventional controls rather than this sort of thing.