News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2584896 times)

SinWorld

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6580 on: May 13, 2020, 11:35:05 am »
for shadowgate [nes]

https://www.thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Wiki/index.php?title=Shadowgate
says
0076 - Cursor X
0077 - Cursor Y
00AB - Cursor X
00AC - Cursor Y
00AF - Cursor Position
   00 - Look
00F5 - Controller 1 Poll Press
00F7 - Controller 1 Poll Down

since the back and forth with the cursor is tedious, how to make a hack where
if i press b, the cursor go to '00 - Look' (as seen above) and if i press b again it will go back to the previous position on the exploration-screen.
if this toggle-b function is hard how about pressing b takes you to '00 - Look'

kazenadama

• View Profile
« Reply #6581 on: May 13, 2020, 02:39:14 pm »
Hey all, I know how doomed this game has been since A0 dropped it, and that this is a long stretch.

I know a group of people who are willing to translate the game and do whatever means necessary to bring this game to English. Our problem--we lack a skilled hacker and programmer, and PS2 Tales are quite notorious for their weird formats. Because of this, it's beyond our ability to hack the game and create a patch.

We are looking for a starting point in the hacking side of things. Whether it's someone who has interest in doing it and taking up the task, or who can at least give us some starting advice. None of us are savvy when it comes to programming, so at this point, anything at all would be helpful!

Our potential project members are passionate fans of Tales who love Destiny DC and other unlocalized Tales games, and have worked on various small scale translation projects for Tales in the past. We'd love to see this game make it to a Western audience, and are really hoping to start somewhere with it!

Please reach out to us if you are interested!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6582 on: May 13, 2020, 03:58:26 pm »
Can't say I ever found NES shadowgate very tedious on the controls front, though it was the first and main version I played so maybe I got used to it.

In theory it is not very hard (finding a hook for the buttons probably being the hardest) and you only need to create a little push-pop type arrangement and reset a flag so you know where you are at.

If you just want it to go to 00 (personally I would go with middle of the screen, or maybe near the menus, but you do what you want) if your NES emulator or flash cart has a cheat option you can toggle on then make a couple of cheats to set the X and Y values to what you want and just fire the cheat on (or on and off if that needs to be the thing).

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6583 on: May 13, 2020, 11:15:49 pm »
Mega Man: The Wily Wars (Genesis): A hack that will give Protoman actual new sprites:

Same thing with other characters that didn't get new sprites.

Cool. Maybe that will help make him and the other Megaman characters (Roll especially) playable if it goes well.

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #6584 on: May 14, 2020, 09:18:34 am »
For the second category, Sega MegaDrive Lion King -  I always found the delay between pushing the jump button and actually jumping to be intolerable. This is probably a "simple" matter of reducing the number of frames in the animation, or the duration of certain frames.

I never found out if it's otherwise a good game, because I couldn't stand this flaw.

I was wondering if anyone here has made a list of games (specifically NES games, but 16-bit is okay too) that have GREAT gameplay, but POOR-quality art assets? I would think that these would be some of the best games to give a graphics hack, since it would breath new life into something that most people won't touch simply because of the poor art.

A secondary topic would be which games have great gameplay EXCEPT for one or two problems. Jump distance and knock back might be the easiest to fix. Hit detection for weapons (such as increasing weapon reach) or platforms would probably be more difficult but still possible without rewriting the whole game engine. 

If someone wants to direct me to somewhere in this 329+ page thread (or another thread) that would be fine. I already tried Google searching here, so maybe it hasn't been covered yet.

octorox

• View Profile
« Reply #6585 on: May 14, 2020, 08:33:07 pm »
I would really like to see a Pokemon Red/Blue hack that rolls together a bunch of quality of life fixes without overhauling the game to the point that it feels like a modern remake, or changing Pokemon data to the point that your mons can't be transfered to later games.

Here's what I would specifically want to see (many of these already exist as part of larger hacks like Red++):
-B-Button Dash
-Faster Surfing and Bicycle
-Ability to register Key Items to the Select button
-Ability to use HMs like Cut, Surf and Strength by walking up to the interactable object and pressing "A" (no need to go into menu)
-Gen 1 battle system and move property changes from Pokemon Stadium (including working crit system)
-Updated learnsets from Pokemon Yellow
-Expanded inventory size (30 instead of 20)
-Bug and script fixes
-Pokeball Icon on battle screen showing if a wild Pokemon's species is already caught
-B/W2 Repel system (asks if you want to use another repel when the first runs out)
-Caught Pokemon are automatically put in the next box when the current one is full.
-Delete or relearn moves in the Pokemon center, maybe via the PC?
-Make TMs multi-use or integrate better TMs into learnsets?
-Option for expanded learnsets that include Gen 2 "tradeback" moves
-Option at the start of the game to select a female Trainer (based on original Sugimori concept art)
-Option to change how trade evolutions are accomplished and make all 150 Pokemon catchable in one game for emu players
-Compatibility with full color hack and spaceworld backsprites

What I wouldn't want to change is the most of the text, the graphics, content etc. Just QOL stuff.

Riggan

• View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: May 14, 2020, 10:58:47 pm »
Seems like a dumb question to ask, but has anyone made a fix for Castlevania (NES) PRG 1 invisibility potion crash when Simon is walking through doors? I was looking over all the rom hacks, but haven't seen that one specified.

SinWorld

• View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: May 16, 2020, 04:29:29 am »
Can't say I ever found NES shadowgate very tedious on the controls front, though it was the first and main version I played so maybe I got used to it.

In theory it is not very hard (finding a hook for the buttons probably being the hardest) and you only need to create a little push-pop type arrangement and reset a flag so you know where you are at.

If you just want it to go to 00 (personally I would go with middle of the screen, or maybe near the menus, but you do what you want) if your NES emulator or flash cart has a cheat option you can toggle on then make a couple of cheats to set the X and Y values to what you want and just fire the cheat on (or on and off if that needs to be the thing).

how about adding mouse controls? ie mouse moves the game cursor and click simulates press (this is even better than my idea from before). if it is touchscreen, touch = clicks at the area. is this more complicated to do, are there any emulators that can use mouse like this for point and click games?

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6588 on: May 16, 2020, 09:09:07 am »
Is there a NES mouse accessory? Granted this would probably be closer to a NES drawing tablet if you want to click on things.

If there is a mouse or possibly a roller ball then the emulator might allow for it. Otherwise you might end up code bothering for an emulator to do it for you as a kind of virtual controller.

If it is for the PC you might be able to use something like the Lua extension options in FCUEX and some of the TAS emulators to pipe in mouse locations from a transparent overlay -- it sounds like the location values already are known so you just need to take PC values (possibly accounting for resolution and multiple screens), and then pipe in acceptable values to the NES program (don't know what it will be here but it is probably just going to be position / resolution all multiplied by max value on the NES and rounded accordingly, and then done again for the other axis. Fudge factors and acceleration might be a thing but hopefully your PC already has that. It might have some traps I have not accounted for but no reason not to try that approach first).
Even without Lua you could probably kick it old school external cheat program style (think emuhaste, artmoney and the like where you find the emulated device's RAM location within the emulator's RAM) and have something, however at that point you are programming something real to handle it. That said you might be able to use one of those macro programs if they have the option to inject values into another program or you care to chain it with something that can (enjoy your virus warning).
With everybody however playing on consoles, phones/tablets and things like raspberry pis this style of mod is rather unfashionable at this point compared to a few years back but it should be able to achieve results, and if it is only for your personal play and anybody else that enjoys it is a bonus then who cares.
This sort of thing is also sometimes useful to disabled peeps so they might have something more, though in most cases that will be more for changing conventional controls rather than this sort of thing.

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: May 16, 2020, 05:32:07 pm »
NES Arkanoid supported a special controller with a wheel and button, effectively a one-dimensional mouse. If the menu could be plausibly navigated in one dimension, this would work.

how about adding mouse controls? ie mouse moves the game cursor and click simulates press (this is even better than my idea from before). if it is touchscreen, touch = clicks at the area. is this more complicated to do, are there any emulators that can use mouse like this for point and click games?

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6590 on: May 16, 2020, 06:21:19 pm »
thats interesting, another way to go (which may be 100x harder to implement, idk) and would be useful for all point and clicks on the system, and interesting.

add zapper functionality, would be especially great for emulators on the Wii that use the wiimote or a touch screen

sebastianangel

• you can always improve
    • View Profile
    • sega genesis
« Reply #6591 on: May 16, 2020, 07:16:45 pm »
Like a "Pedo Walker"? uhahuhuauhah :) Good!

For my part, I get tired of asking hackers to do a little thing or teach us how to do it, so I started on my own to investigate and do my own hacks. 8)

Noside

• View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: May 16, 2020, 09:24:05 pm »
I can't remember if I suggested this before but, it would be cool if someone could make a Super Mario Kart Hack like this one, at least a close one would be cool. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwGjbbuVpwo

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: May 16, 2020, 10:24:26 pm »
http://www.romhacking.net/reviews/5570/

this is 99.9% perfect, but i have 3 tiny suggestions.

make D-pad up avtivate the bunny hood, make the bunny hood imediately borrowable from the mask salesman, make bunny hood equipable for adult Link.

that would be awesome, anyways i highly recommend this hack for anyone who want to do a playthrough of OoT, (MM has one too, also A+)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: May 17, 2020, 03:48:15 pm »
You are aware that Shadowgate isn't an NES-exclusive, right?  The original Macintosh and IIgs versions are available for dirt-cheap on Steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/343800/Shadowgate_MacVenture_Series/

The new engine is open-source Javascript, so in theory it ought to be portable to other platforms. (Probably not NES, though.)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: May 17, 2020, 11:08:23 pm »
thats interesting, another way to go (which may be 100x harder to implement, idk) and would be useful for all point and clicks on the system, and interesting.

add zapper functionality, would be especially great for emulators on the Wii that use the wiimote or a touch screen

Um... Zapper support would probably lag the game far worse than just playing the game as it already is.
As I understand the NES Zapper can only detect "hit" or "no hit". When you pull the trigger, you can see white boxes on the screen briefly because the game has to draw a box over each possible target individually, as that is the only way to tell, if a "hit" response was received, WHICH object it saw.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: May 18, 2020, 03:13:22 pm »
This idea just came to me: A Tiny Toon Adventures NES hack with Babs, Shirley, and Fifi taking the roles of Buster, Plucky, and Furball for the game (not sure whether to just leave Dizzy in or replace him with another Toon character). I mean after seeing the role switching hacks of other games, I wouldn't mind trying to play as Babs on the first game (maybe the Gameboy game too).

EDIT: Also on the subject of hacks and gameboy, someone should really make the 3 PPG GBC games a little more bearable. I mean there were just some bugs that made my gameplay experience with the three games impossible.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 03:19:04 pm by julayla »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6597 on: May 18, 2020, 04:25:30 pm »
Metroid Prime Improvement Hack (GC)(1.0 since there's more sequence breaking opportunities)
-Teleporters between save points or elevators. Or more shortcuts, like at least one more elevator going from phendrana drifts to somewhere and a tunnel shortcut going from the middle of the chozo ruins to the southeastern part
-Fixed door hit detection and speed (seems this was fixed in a later revision so there should be existing code)
-Stronger/later beams can open all previous doors. Can also use missiles on regular doors
-More grapple hook points to let you pull yourself upwards with in large vertical rooms (phazon processing center for example)
-Can stand on frozen enemies
-Infinite bomb jump or larger capacity
-Full control config
-Scanning points automatically show as you get close to them and the scanning visor covers more of the full visor (or you don't need to fully cover a point to scan it)
-More lenient lock-on or faster manual aiming/looking around which doesn't slow to a crawl at its most extreme angles
-Added quick turn move or faster turning when fully tilting the stick
-Can skip cutscenes before beating it
-More consistent invincibility frames on ridley's mouth when he pulls his head back before tackling
-Somewhat harder regular and jellyfish metroids as well as elite pirates
-Beeping sfx while near death only beeps once in a while
-Drawn out segments during boss fights are shortened
-Can lock onto an enemy even if it's partially behind cover
-Enemies don't keep dropping items which you already have a full stock of so it's easier to stock up on power bomb ammo (or each expansion adds more bombs)

Map:
-Compass or cardinal directions on the map screen
-Upgrade items are shown on the map like in Super Metroid - dots in rooms rather than the exact location
-Missile doors (and other special beam doors) are always marked on the map, not just if you are viewing the room/sub area it's in
-Saves your chosen zoom level on the map screen when going out of and back into it
-Somewhat more zoomed in mini-map

-Optional: Start with the ball and the missiles, faster missile rate of fire and speed
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: May 18, 2020, 07:18:16 pm »
EDIT: Also on the subject of hacks and gameboy, someone should really make the 3 PPG GBC games a little more bearable. I mean there were just some bugs that made my gameplay experience with the three games impossible.
Didn't you ask that less than a year ago? And besides, the whole PPG series and franchise has sucked large ever since the girls beat up Rainbow the Clown, an innocent clown. Though Rainbow did have an evil alter ego, it was completely out of his control. >:(

There are probably better things to do in the world of ROM hacking (i.e. fixing the bug found in the English translation of Armadillo (NES) towards the end). Man, that Armadillo bug really frustrated me when I first encountered it. :banghead:

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: May 18, 2020, 11:19:38 pm »
Mario Kart: Super Circuit (Game Boy Advance):

A optional patch for Emilianomario27's Localized Voices hack that will give Yoshi his N64 voice clips.

A hack that will restore the missing obstacles back to the SNES tracks.