News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1959714 times)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6560 on: May 02, 2020, 09:02:20 pm »
Sonic Pocket Adventure (Neo Geo Pocket Color): A hack that will change the sprites of Sonic & Dr. Eggman, to make them look more like their classic counterparts:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 07:11:12 pm by SCD »

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #6561 on: May 04, 2020, 12:16:30 pm »
Tobal 2: a hack that doesn't make items (potions and stones) unknown after saving or exiting quest mode, or when entering a new dungeon. To make it simple: never lose the ID of an identified item.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 02:56:52 pm by nesrocks »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6562 on: May 04, 2020, 02:25:18 pm »
So, today I had an interesting thought: a hack of either Wai Wai Racing or Mario Kart Advance or a similar game to turn it into a Chocobo Racing demake/port.

luna211

• View Profile
« Reply #6563 on: May 05, 2020, 12:45:31 am »
Anyone else love Vectorman 1 and 2 on the Sega Genesis? I sure do!  8) Though Vectorman 2 could definitely use a quick fix or two. The intended music doesn't play at the options screen, and the AND and PRESENT screens are left over from the prototypes... aaaand they're also not used.  :P

Check out that original game over screen. Very creepy, but it fits the darker atmosphere of the game! Any hack of 1 or 2 would keep a long-time fan busy until anyone decides to make a third installment!

luna211

• View Profile
« Reply #6564 on: May 05, 2020, 12:51:18 am »
Yet another Genesis game that could use a good color modification is Stone Protectors. The colors are fairly close to the SNES version, but are somewhat too dark.

Reefytheslim

• View Profile
« Reply #6565 on: May 05, 2020, 09:57:30 am »
hi guys
im not sure if this has been covered before or not so forgive me.
im trying to translate the dialogues of this japanese Snes game to english (Mini Yonku Let's & Go!! - Power WGP 2). i've read and researched alot online and figured out how to locate the text in a hex editor. but i can't apply what i learnt on this game!
i've tried a different game (FFIV) and worked perfectly on it.
here's what i did:
1. i used tile molester to change the jap font to english letters (already present in the game tiles)
2. then started the game and looked for words that appear in english letters, did a relative search for them using WindHex, and when i found them i created a table and just filled the rest of the table with what's missing.

but when i do that for my game, i get no results (or wrong results that don't apply) in relative search. I tried value search and still the same.

what i noticed though, that FFIV font used 1bit per letter in tiles, while my game used 2bit (vertically) per letter.

(the tiles after i replaced the jap font with english font A-Z)
i don't know how this is the cause of not but i would love for any advice as im still learning.

here is a screenshot of another similar game that i was planning to do next once i figure things out (and learn more), but this one uses 4bits per letter (2X2) (Game name: Mini Yonku Shining Scorpion - Let's & Go!!)

when i changed the jap font to english, the game showed the english letters withing its dialogues but again with relative search for these words gave no results or wrong ones.
im just wondering what im missing?

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6566 on: May 06, 2020, 09:01:27 am »
Banjo Tooie: Unbloated & Improved (N64)
-Basic in-game maps added as images from guide scans (how to access these I'm not sure, maybe via the pause menu?), unless someone can perhaps inject a map system from another game to use with this one

-Mumbo just gives you the ability to stand on his pads instead of the game making you play as him

-Similarly, the boring transformations like the detonator or van are just items you gain and use for their levels (an alternate fix to these would be letting you transform back into banjo at any point with a button combo)

-Less backtracking of the stupid kind like having to open the path between the temple and the mine level from one side only.

-Less dead space or more flight pads - perhaps the latter can be unlocked as the player finishes collecting all mumbo/transformation related jiggies or beats the boss of the level

-Control/camera/interface fixes to these things:
-can't rotate the camera in various situations
-both rotation and R are a bit slow
-slow movement in stone form - as with the roll in the prequel there's also a delay after tackling
-sneaking is too slow
-no notification when you have enough jiggies to open up the next level (and at the temple of jiggywiggy which is where the next one is unlocked you're only told if you do or don't have enough to unlock the next one - not how many are needed for each (for some reason you have to talk to the guy outside when you don't have enough to know how many are needed for the next level))
-repeated tutorial message at the teleporters if you press B slightly before standing on them
-the camera is too slow to turn when you do while underwater

-Air dashing/beak bombing into walls won't make you lose HP since that discourages playing around with the move

-Don't keep getting HP drops from enemies when at full health (gives you feathers/eggs instead)

-Fixes how if you don't aim in FP view at the prison gates in level 3 then you won't break the gates + if you don't stand just right you won't trigger talking to the prisoners and getting the hint that you can break them and don't need a key

-Harder lvl 2 boss

-More platforming and less shimmying and climbing in levels that lack it
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube:
« Reply #6567 on: May 06, 2020, 09:24:37 am »
Mega Man Zero 2: Ultimate Form hack that increases the POW, DEF, and SPD to ☆☆☆☆, and adds the extra effects of the Active, Defense, Rise (mapping the upwards third slash to how it is in MMZ3), X, and Erase forms.
"You got whacked, 'cuz you're weak." ~Magus

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #6568 on: May 06, 2020, 12:33:00 pm »
Mega Man Zero 2: Ultimate Form hack that increases the POW, DEF, and SPD to ☆☆☆☆, and adds the extra effects of the Active, Defense, Rise (mapping the upwards third slash to how it is in MMZ3), X, and Erase forms.

I second this. :thumbsup:
Insert "Witty Text" here.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6569 on: May 06, 2020, 01:12:28 pm »
hi guys
im not sure if this has been covered before or not so forgive me.
im trying to translate the dialogues of this japanese Snes game to english (Mini Yonku Let's & Go!! - Power WGP 2). i've read and researched alot online and figured out how to locate the text in a hex editor. but i can't apply what i learnt on this game!
i've tried a different game (FFIV) and worked perfectly on it.
here's what i did:
1. i used tile molester to change the jap font to english letters (already present in the game tiles)
2. then started the game and looked for words that appear in english letters, did a relative search for them using WindHex, and when i found them i created a table and just filled the rest of the table with what's missing.

but when i do that for my game, i get no results (or wrong results that don't apply) in relative search. I tried value search and still the same.

what i noticed though, that FFIV font used 1bit per letter in tiles, while my game used 2bit (vertically) per letter.

(the tiles after i replaced the jap font with english font A-Z)
i don't know how this is the cause of not but i would love for any advice as im still learning.

here is a screenshot of another similar game that i was planning to do next once i figure things out (and learn more), but this one uses 4bits per letter (2X2) (Game name: Mini Yonku Shining Scorpion - Let's & Go!!)

when i changed the jap font to english, the game showed the english letters withing its dialogues but again with relative search for these words gave no results or wrong ones.
im just wondering what im missing?

That is an odd way of going about things, but not incorrect.

The style of the font, font size and whatever else has no real bearing on the text itself outside of some specific cases on very old devices. The text engine itself is all about decoding the text and is largely disconnected from the pictorial representation (as your example above proves).

In this case I would suspect 3 different possibilities
1) Compression. This breaks relative search quite happily
2) You included a placeholder in the text you searched for (it costs [somevalue] a night to stay here, might well look like it costs %2F% a night to stay here and thus me up your relative search. Formatting would also be this, as would new lines. Search for a shorter fragment or search for something either side of a placeholder.
3) 16 bit encoding -- Japanese has thousands of characters which 2^8 (256) struggles to represent, to that end many Japanese games go in for 16 bit encoding (2 to the power 16 being a rather larger number) instead and your chosen relative search tool might not be geared for it.

Nothing stopping all three, or a combo of two of them, being present either. The text could also still not be encoded in a relative manner, though that would be unusual for a SNES game (DS games for instance use ShiftJIS encoding all the time despite it not being a relative encoding in the strictest of senses courtesy of jumps and missing characters).

To that end you might want to search for pointers, maybe try corruption, maybe tray a stats based method or give in and trace it.

91-MPH

• View Profile
« Reply #6570 on: May 06, 2020, 06:48:16 pm »
I know it's impossible to give Seiken Densetsu 3 an English Script Port from "Trials of Mana" (from the Collection of Mana or Remake), because of how much of a hassle it would be; and the ROM for Trials of Mana (from the Collection of Mana) won't work on the Hakchi2 hardware, due to its limitations.

But someone should at least work on an addendum patch that updates or ports the Official (or Canonical) English Terminologies to Neill Corlett's Translation Patch.

(e.g.: God Beasts < Benevodons)
(e.g.: Koren: Wizard of the Crimson Lotus < Brian the Crimson Wizard)

I would ask someone to update the title, icon and music text, but G-Trans beat me to it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 10:49:19 pm by 91-MPH »

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: May 07, 2020, 06:31:14 am »
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity (GBA): A restoration hack that will restore this stuff back to the international versions:

Change Wind Walker & Sly Joker back to being called Crazy Horse & Dirty Joker once again.
Restore the original ending portraits of Fighting Comet & J.B. Crystal.

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: May 07, 2020, 10:31:03 am »
A good hack would be Pokemon Sword&Shield(NDS)Either using Black and White Black&White 2 as the base
The hack would be everything from the game(Switch version) but on NDS(Characters,Pokemon,Gym Leaders,ect)

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: May 07, 2020, 11:45:44 pm »
Pokémon Gen III (Emerald, FireRed) with the updated cries from Ultra Sun and Moon. And a variant patch replacing the Kanto/Johto cries with the ones from Pokémon Stadium 2.

I wanted to try doing this myself this week. But I could neither get the Pokémon Cry Editor or the pokefirered disassembly working on my Mac. In the former case, finagling .exes (with .NET prerequisites) to work with Wine or similar is hit and miss. With the later, I think I've broken my C setup pretty sufficiently with brew. So, oh well.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: May 08, 2020, 01:27:05 am »
how about hacks for the GBA FPSs that add "dual analog" controls

dpad would be forward/backward and strafe, B and A would be turn, and L would be action, run, open reload (whatever the extra function would be) and R would be shoot

would be awesome for me, not that GBA FPSs are really any good anyways.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6575 on: May 08, 2020, 05:21:24 am »
how about hacks for the GBA FPSs that add "dual analog" controls

dpad would be forward/backward and strafe, B and A would be turn, and L would be action, run, open reload (whatever the extra function would be) and R would be shoot

would be awesome for me, not that GBA FPSs are really any good anyways.

Most would probably remap an emulator to what they want there, especially nowadays with the high res scaling options available to make them look somewhat nicer.
I should also note Doom recently saw a homebrew port of prboom, and it got to a point where you can overwrite the original ROM with it (but keep any assets, though there is also a convert to PC/DOS hack for Doom II) so if you are going for that one then maybe go that route as controller mapping should be easy enough.
https://github.com/doomhack/GBADoom
https://github.com/Kippykip/GBADoom/releases
https://kippykip.com/index.php?forums/gba-doom.63/
Bunch of it should be on the downloads section here as well.

If you do find ecks vs sever, duke 3d, dark arena, and ice nine was it appealing then you get to look at whatever reads http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#gbakeypadinput or the thing that gets copied to every frame and change accordingly, or if it is a read of the copied/debounced section you can probably have some fun with boolean logic and shuffle them around in that.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6576 on: May 09, 2020, 01:31:26 am »
i've done it in emulator on Android (my GPD XD+) but cant force Dpad lef and Dpad right to the right stick, like i would like, but i do force it to the face buttons, and play them that way.  was just thinking it would be better for the Everdrive users that have real hardware to play that way.

here's another suggestion, someone do this ( https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5122/ ) for OoT. i know they just used the randomizer to make a "better" base/vanilla game, but i cant get the OoT randomizer to keep in the cutscenes, (which i actually DO want to see in my playthroughs, lol Esp. if i'm on my GPD XD+ where i can use fast forward)

but anyways. live long and ROMHACK ON

ToHell

• View Profile
« Reply #6577 on: May 09, 2020, 05:37:25 am »
Would anyone like to try to restore the bar scene in SOS / Septentrion (セプテントリオン) - Super NES (1993)?

https://tcrf.net/SOS_(SNES)

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/sos/

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: May 10, 2020, 03:37:51 am »
Homebrew suggestion: Mr. Driller (the original) for the NES

iridium_ionizer

• The universe is complicated. Get used to it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: May 10, 2020, 03:49:53 pm »
I was wondering if anyone here has made a list of games (specifically NES games, but 16-bit is okay too) that have GREAT gameplay, but POOR-quality art assets? I would think that these would be some of the best games to give a graphics hack, since it would breath new life into something that most people won't touch simply because of the poor art.

A secondary topic would be which games have great gameplay EXCEPT for one or two problems. Jump distance and knock back might be the easiest to fix. Hit detection for weapons (such as increasing weapon reach) or platforms would probably be more difficult but still possible without rewriting the whole game engine. 

If someone wants to direct me to somewhere in this 329+ page thread (or another thread) that would be fine. I already tried Google searching here, so maybe it hasn't been covered yet.