News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2585001 times)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6560 on: May 07, 2020, 06:31:14 am »
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity (GBA): A restoration hack that will restore this stuff back to the international versions:

Change Wind Walker & Sly Joker back to being called Crazy Horse & Dirty Joker once again.
Restore the original ending portraits of Fighting Comet & J.B. Crystal.

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #6561 on: May 07, 2020, 10:31:03 am »
A good hack would be Pokemon Sword&Shield(NDS)Either using Black and White Black&White 2 as the base
The hack would be everything from the game(Switch version) but on NDS(Characters,Pokemon,Gym Leaders,ect)

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #6562 on: May 07, 2020, 11:45:44 pm »
Pokémon Gen III (Emerald, FireRed) with the updated cries from Ultra Sun and Moon. And a variant patch replacing the Kanto/Johto cries with the ones from Pokémon Stadium 2.

I wanted to try doing this myself this week. But I could neither get the Pokémon Cry Editor or the pokefirered disassembly working on my Mac. In the former case, finagling .exes (with .NET prerequisites) to work with Wine or similar is hit and miss. With the later, I think I've broken my C setup pretty sufficiently with brew. So, oh well.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6563 on: May 08, 2020, 01:27:05 am »
how about hacks for the GBA FPSs that add "dual analog" controls

dpad would be forward/backward and strafe, B and A would be turn, and L would be action, run, open reload (whatever the extra function would be) and R would be shoot

would be awesome for me, not that GBA FPSs are really any good anyways.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6564 on: May 08, 2020, 05:21:24 am »
how about hacks for the GBA FPSs that add "dual analog" controls

dpad would be forward/backward and strafe, B and A would be turn, and L would be action, run, open reload (whatever the extra function would be) and R would be shoot

would be awesome for me, not that GBA FPSs are really any good anyways.

Most would probably remap an emulator to what they want there, especially nowadays with the high res scaling options available to make them look somewhat nicer.
I should also note Doom recently saw a homebrew port of prboom, and it got to a point where you can overwrite the original ROM with it (but keep any assets, though there is also a convert to PC/DOS hack for Doom II) so if you are going for that one then maybe go that route as controller mapping should be easy enough.
https://github.com/doomhack/GBADoom
https://github.com/Kippykip/GBADoom/releases
https://kippykip.com/index.php?forums/gba-doom.63/
Bunch of it should be on the downloads section here as well.

If you do find ecks vs sever, duke 3d, dark arena, and ice nine was it appealing then you get to look at whatever reads http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#gbakeypadinput or the thing that gets copied to every frame and change accordingly, or if it is a read of the copied/debounced section you can probably have some fun with boolean logic and shuffle them around in that.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6565 on: May 09, 2020, 01:31:26 am »
i've done it in emulator on Android (my GPD XD+) but cant force Dpad lef and Dpad right to the right stick, like i would like, but i do force it to the face buttons, and play them that way.  was just thinking it would be better for the Everdrive users that have real hardware to play that way.

here's another suggestion, someone do this ( https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5122/ ) for OoT. i know they just used the randomizer to make a "better" base/vanilla game, but i cant get the OoT randomizer to keep in the cutscenes, (which i actually DO want to see in my playthroughs, lol Esp. if i'm on my GPD XD+ where i can use fast forward)

but anyways. live long and ROMHACK ON

ToHell

• View Profile
« Reply #6566 on: May 09, 2020, 05:37:25 am »
Would anyone like to try to restore the bar scene in SOS / Septentrion (セプテントリオン) - Super NES (1993)?

https://tcrf.net/SOS_(SNES)

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/sos/

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #6567 on: May 10, 2020, 03:37:51 am »
Homebrew suggestion: Mr. Driller (the original) for the NES

iridium_ionizer

• The universe is complicated. Get used to it.
    • View Profile
    • Iridium Ionizer's Retro Projects
« Reply #6568 on: May 10, 2020, 03:49:53 pm »
I was wondering if anyone here has made a list of games (specifically NES games, but 16-bit is okay too) that have GREAT gameplay, but POOR-quality art assets? I would think that these would be some of the best games to give a graphics hack, since it would breath new life into something that most people won't touch simply because of the poor art.

A secondary topic would be which games have great gameplay EXCEPT for one or two problems. Jump distance and knock back might be the easiest to fix. Hit detection for weapons (such as increasing weapon reach) or platforms would probably be more difficult but still possible without rewriting the whole game engine. 

If someone wants to direct me to somewhere in this 329+ page thread (or another thread) that would be fine. I already tried Google searching here, so maybe it hasn't been covered yet.

NesDraug

• View Profile
« Reply #6569 on: May 11, 2020, 02:48:45 pm »
I was wondering if anyone here has made a list of games (specifically NES games, but 16-bit is okay too) that have GREAT gameplay, but POOR-quality art assets? I would think that these would be some of the best games to give a graphics hack, since it would breath new life into something that most people won't touch simply because of the poor art.

I'm also interested in this.
I've started a similar thread a while ago.
But I wish to know awful games that have been fixed.

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=29890.msg388720#msg388720
Hello! You found my shop of strange and wonderful things!
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/nesdraug

atpstudios

• View Profile
« Reply #6570 on: May 11, 2020, 03:23:44 pm »
Okay someone really needs to do this hack idea! It would be the BEST way to play Pokemon gen 1 AND BEST OF ALL it would be super easy to do, I would do it if I knew how

- ADD RUNNING SHOES WHILE HOLDING B
- MAKE THE SELECT BUTTON A QUICK CUSTOM BUTTON FOR YOUR BIKE ECT.
- FIND OUT HOW TO APPLY THE FULLY COLORED OVER WORLD FROM THE RED AND BLUE FULL COLOR HACK TO YELLOWS WORLD
- MAKE HMS OVER WORLD ABILITIES ONLY NOT IN BATTLE AND TAKING UP A MOVE SPOT

I found out this wouldn't be that hard at all, I tried to download the pokemon blue full color overworld patch to a pokemon yellow rom and of course it didn't work, but I was curious and thought it might work on other hacks? For example theres this hack called Pokemon Cock version and I figured since it was a hack of blue and red version I wanted to see if it worked and sure enough the game worked in full color! If I was able to do that then im sure it wouldn't be very hard to somehow transfer over that over world color hack over to Yellow version, then from there adding running shoes for the B button I assume wouldn't be too difficult

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: May 11, 2020, 07:22:02 pm »
If you are imagining some games that mainly ended up with programmer art that you can swap out some pixels, or maybe draw a whole new set, for, or maybe tweak some palettes then I don't know how many there might be but I would expect low. Most examples will probably be failures on the animation front and that often ends up needing new frames or straight up animation twiddling (possibly also hitbox) which is most likely then back in the realms of more determined hacking.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #6572 on: May 11, 2020, 07:27:36 pm »
Indeed, as Fast6191 points out, the NES is a highly technically intensive platform for the arts department. I was extremelly lucky to find that in Super Pitfall the background was entirely ready for new graphics, it was just unused. Despite that, it still required some extensive data hacking for the new BG metatiles, not just CHR hacking though. You can only go so far by only editting the CHR.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: May 11, 2020, 08:31:21 pm »
To go a bit further. Are you imagining this is something like I used to see in flash games where some kid would make a pretty decent game but the MS paint art held it back (or could really pop if they got some good stuff), but for the NES and SNES or megadrive?
Say something with a giant out or proportion head, but not in a still looks cool like River City Ransom way, and you want to shave a few pixels or change proportions to get it nice.

Maybe put a nice bit of shading (hoping any palette swaps fall in line or you handle those as well) on something, or flashier energy things, just to juice things a little more..

For animations I have liked
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/Lemming_animation.gif
Same number of frames, same tile size. One on the right far nicer to look at.

Repeat all that for backgrounds.

The sort of thing you could say load up a tile editor, be told all the stuff is in these locations, and then go to town on your own time?

I am going to say good luck with that, unless you want to take on the Phantasy Star 3 holy war (I really don't like the looks at all, 2 and especially 4 are great though). There were some ugly games (everybody wanted to have a mascot character back in those days, and being the nineties it was all about 'tude or "kids like gross stuff") but they also usually handled like sludge, had less than stellar level design even if you did make things more snappy in the controls front (such things are eminently doable in hacks, however it is not necessarily a 5 minute job, even more so if you want to play with cameras a bit https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iNSQIyNpVGHeak6isbP6AHdHD50gs8MNXF1GCf08efg/pub?embedded=true ), difficulty was all over the place (assuming it was not a collectathon), sounded sometimes OK actually but usually eh. A lot of those otherwise bad games also often had pretty good art too, especially some of the 16 bit stuff.

Or if you prefer there is a reason most such hacks are decensoring, making things look like the arcade, simple colour changes (possibly as part of decensoring), making things look like earlier or later entries in the franchise, or plain old spoof.

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: May 12, 2020, 04:21:50 am »
I like the game Socket for the Genesis but that sound you hear when your low on energy is really annoying.It would be nice if it was removed.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6575 on: May 12, 2020, 07:09:55 am »
Blaster Master: Blasting Again (PS1) - Full Blast Edition
-Dual Analog support with yaw and pitch for the right stick
-Added regular strafing for the pilot - this should help with avoiding some of the nastier enemies in the indoors segments
-Can map the camera angle toggle to a button or button combo
-Faster climbing with the tank upgrade
-Item inventory for the pilot and you can take more hits before losing weapon levels
-Added auto-aiming for the pilot when at weapon level 5 or 6 - should help with some of the more annoying enemies and the bat boss
-Longer flight energy boost from such power ups gained from enemies (and perhaps more energy by default) so that the timing isn't as tight to reach the mid-air ones in some segments
-Teleport between save points in the overworld
-HP and ammo refill after bosses
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Leonardo Macedo

• View Profile
« Reply #6576 on: May 12, 2020, 03:42:44 pm »
Hello people! Could someone please hack into the World Driver Championship for N64 so that it works in full screen in high resolution mode?

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #6577 on: May 12, 2020, 07:11:03 pm »
Hello people! Could someone please hack into the World Driver Championship for N64 so that it works in full screen in high resolution mode?
Do you mean widescreen?

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: May 13, 2020, 03:02:56 am »
Mega Man: The Wily Wars (Genesis): A hack that will give Protoman actual new sprites:

Same thing with other characters that didn't get new sprites.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: May 13, 2020, 08:42:05 am »
Do you mean widescreen?
That can mean a few things.

1) The N64 had multiple resolutions it could display at, high resolution then being something of a marketing term in the end even within the system (never mind outside it -- CRTs of the day were commonly significantly above 1080 vertical res)
For want of a better link (and possibly the first time I have ever landed here on a search)
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4vgd91/contrary_to_popular_belief_very_few_n64_games_ran/
Looking the game up it seems like it has a nice 640x480 rendering. I don't know if this is an emulator issue, or the devs cheated a bit and had a render mode include a bunch of car frame or something to mask that it was not strictly 640x480 3d rendering. If that is the case and they were as good as I think they might have been (if they managed nominal high resolution, extensive microcode fiddling and were playing at the end of the N64's life with some pretty decent time-tested devs then they can probably be considered to more or less know their stuff) then I do not hold out much hope here. Though it does not require the expansion pack so if there is something that might allow you to lean into memory to boost it then maybe. I also don't know how many such hacks we have ever seen for the N64.

2) The emulator rendering hacks wherein the viewport and whatever else, maybe with some PC side texture replacement, is done to effect a higher resolution. If it is an error with this then that would likely be an emulator problem, though hacks have been made to sort emulator issues before.

3) With this Mario 64 source code reconstruction/decompilation we have seen high resolution, widescreen and increasingly so much more (prototype render distance boost to way past level edge I saw last night, tweaked camera, controls, ports to any number of devices... and being nice and source available that is set to increase). Several other games are in the works but there are still rather involved projects, and I have not seen any mention of this game being a target (not to mention if it leans as heavily into the microcode stuff as some appear to have it then that is going to make life difficult).
I don't think the poster here is asking for that but we will probably see it in the months to come.