News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1984493 times)

redmagejoe

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6540 on: April 25, 2020, 09:05:43 pm »
https://www.romhacking.net/games/3156/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuBO4h9jufY

This game looks so bad that it's good. Would benefit from having the items land on the ground rather than fading into oblivion, I think. That alone would probably be all this game needs.

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #6541 on: April 25, 2020, 10:48:26 pm »
I've been eyeballing this game for awhile, on my short list of NES platformers that could be reborn with some QoL fixes, refined physics, better AI, and/or better level design. At least on paper, I like the idea of random prizes that don't stick around. There is no memorization of power-ups, you have choice, and getting what you want involves some dynamic skill, which these old games tend to lack.

https://www.romhacking.net/games/3156/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuBO4h9jufY

This game looks so bad that it's good. Would benefit from having the items land on the ground rather than fading into oblivion, I think. That alone would probably be all this game needs.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #6542 on: April 26, 2020, 12:33:57 am »
There's a new Pokemon beta leak going on right now. Stuff that mankind wasn't mean to ever see, deeper than the Spaceworld demo.

The romhacks will come.

atpstudios

• View Profile
« Reply #6543 on: April 26, 2020, 01:59:09 pm »
I have two hack that I WISH I could make happen but what about these

Pokemon Yellow

-running shoes option by pressing B
-colorization of the entire overworld
-ALL original sprites colorized (mix and match and use the best looking pokemon front and back sprites from blue/red/yellow)
-make HM moves separate abilities to be used OUTSIDE of battle only, this would save up so you can have a full 4 moves in battle
-add in the green level up bar in the battle for exp gained
-make all 151 pokemon available to get caught without link cable

Bomberman MAX Blue and Red

-remove all the extra warps at the end of each level that bring you to random levels and just have ONE warp bring you to the next level in order (like every bomberman game does lol)
-perhaps remove the charibom creature aspect? keep him in the game and rescue them at the end of the levels but remove the fighting menus of them and such

Graphicus

• View Profile
« Reply #6544 on: April 27, 2020, 02:01:50 pm »
A hack of Harvest Moon 64 that adds a button shortcut to take items OUT of the rucksack would be a godsend. Currently, you can put stuff away, but to take it out, you have to go into the menu EACH and EVERY time, which makes shipping loads of vegetables a pain in the butt.

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
« Reply #6545 on: April 27, 2020, 10:46:30 pm »
Hack idea:

Another NES Ninja Gaiden with old man Ryu Hayabusa.

Story) Years after the statues were thrown from the temple, the dark demon statue was recovered by a dark clan who was exploring the ruins of the temple. One day, Ryu's daughter, who has no name yet, gets a letter saying that the clan who recovered the statue has her father and will kill him unless she brings them the statue of light. She goes on a quest to rescue her father but does not have the other statue. Little does she know, Ken Hayabusa managed to escape the temple and has the statue of light.

Alternate Story) Roles are reversed and now old Ryu has to rescue his daughter. Little does he know, the Jaquio survived.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6546 on: April 28, 2020, 05:54:53 am »
Wario Land 3: Fun Edition
-Start out with the looking glass and Wario's default abilities from previous games (stomp, carry and throw, swim)
-Transformations can be canceled manually after 3-5 seconds (boss arenas are tweaked so you have a chance to get back without backtracking; Select button?)
-Less knockback
-Fixed ladder climbing (right now you can't be pressing l/r or going down doesn't work)
-Slightly slower rolling in ball form (slopes)
-Can break two small blocks at the same time with stomp
-Optional mini-game
-Big coins and chest keys don't respawn
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #6547 on: April 28, 2020, 09:49:00 am »
I saw this on my Facebook feed, this is a cool idea for a Dr. Mario hack. :D

estoybien

• View Profile
« Reply #6548 on: April 28, 2020, 10:29:34 am »
We all know that Final Fight CD was one of the best ports for a long time.

There's a nice color patch to make it look closer to the original, but still not enough. It  looks like everything's in, but there's something with the punch timing that doesn't let this one feel as playing the original, therefore...

Maybe this could be fixed by modifying the hit delay? speed of the game? Not possible at all?
That would be killer.

91-MPH

• View Profile
« Reply #6549 on: April 28, 2020, 05:44:39 pm »
With the release of Langrisser I & II out for the Switch, I say their Genesis/Mega Drive equivalents should get a much needed Script-Port Patch (a la Final Fantasy II, III & V).

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #6550 on: April 28, 2020, 09:57:20 pm »
I have two hack that I WISH I could make happen but what about these

Pokemon Yellow

-running shoes option by pressing B
-colorization of the entire overworld
-ALL original sprites colorized (mix and match and use the best looking pokemon front and back sprites from blue/red/yellow)
-make HM moves separate abilities to be used OUTSIDE of battle only, this would save up so you can have a full 4 moves in battle
-add in the green level up bar in the battle for exp gained
-make all 151 pokemon available to get caught without link cable

I also had a similar idea, like afull revamped Yellow hack but using Crystal as the base.
That way you get all the perks of Gen 2 in Yellow, like the better ba system, day/night and coloured overworld.

hossbags2

• View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: April 28, 2020, 10:41:07 pm »
hack sengoku denshou sega cd so it will play on any bios

miaz

• View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: April 29, 2020, 08:57:04 am »
First post, so not sure where to put it really.
Couldn't find what i was looking for, so guess its an idea for someone else if they fancy.

To be able to to cut the random encounters for the Final Fantasy series (Snes) in half,
and to double the exp. points gained, so it evens out (so it wont be more difficult).
And really, this, but for every other game with random encounters, such as: Star ocean, SMRPG, Tales of Phantasia etc etc.

Ive seen hacks for both FF4 and FF6 where this has been included (somewhat), but theres no increase in exp. points, making the game way harder.
I had to quit playing Star Ocean about 10 hours in because the random encounters were driving me crazy.

Foffy

• View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: April 29, 2020, 10:09:51 am »
I'm just gonna shoot for the moon here, but it's something I've been thinking a lot since bsnes incorporated a widescreen mode for SNES games. Could something similar be done to the GBA?

1. Custom GBE+ build with increased resolution (not a romhack per se, but definitely step one)

Some time ago, a /r/emulation thread discussed the idea of increasing the resolution of GBA games horizontally.
https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/cw90sz/feasibility_of_increasing_internal/

Shonumi, a GBA+ dev, entertained the idea and shared a few screenshots of his experiment.
https://imgur.com/a/OFUfO8k

Later in the comments, he pointed out exactly which parameters must be modified on source code to increase display area.
https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/cw90sz/feasibility_of_increasing_internal/eyapdre/

Most likely, games would need to be heavily modified to take advantage of this.

2. Increased resolution hacks of GBA games.

Now, if theorically there was a build of GBE+ (or any other emulator) that allowed for increased resolution, how far could romhacks push it?

I'm thinking mainly for action platformers (Kirby, Metroid, Mega Man Zero). Could they be pushed to 320x240, as if they were released for a home console? That would possibly spark interest in romhacks with UI redesigns, complete expansion of map designs, and enemy placements (and attack patterns) to correctly fit the new resolution. Would it be possible to bring SNES to GBA ports back to their original resolution? (Probably more trouble than porting GBA content/relocalization to the SNES originals, I'm thinking theorically).

I was very disappointed when the NDS Mega Man Zero Collection didn't use the increased resolution at all. Now even more so with the ZX/Zero Collection. I would definitely be on board to at least try giving the Mega Man Zero series some attention.

Sorry if this is a "bump" to this idea, but I gotta say it's very amusing to me to ask for something like this using the same examples being brought up in this post. I hope in the future the community considers tackling stuff like this.

As said in my earlier post (which was like two or so posts before the one I'm quoting here :p), I think the best place to start is the SNES-to-GBA ports. Some GBA games might render enemies in the area, which I believe Kirby does, so you don't get many issues. But that's just Kirby; that's not an assured way to develop all games for the platform, so there's no assurance, for example, that any of the Castlevania games or some other title follow the same approach. But I believe all of the ported games from the SNES handle things very similarly to the SNES versions besides resolution, so those games would far and away be the easiest the mess around with. I've shared examples in a previous post to how it's mostly possible for the core gameplay as long as it's not using any GBA specific features, with the most frequent issue being texture size and overlap when expanding the resolution, which is where the need for a hack to come in.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: April 30, 2020, 12:55:28 am »
You know...since the Genesis version of Classic Sailor Moon got a real translation, I was wondering if someone can make a mod to the SNES version (you know, fix some of the things on the SNES version or something)?

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #6555 on: April 30, 2020, 11:29:18 am »
A rom hack of Mr. Driller Ace
[i wish someone would do a complete english translation of it]
The idea is basically a overhaul hack of which it'll be turned into a new game
- New Story
- Additional Modes

Kincyr

• View Profile
« Reply #6556 on: April 30, 2020, 02:56:16 pm »
How about a Soul Blader / Soul Blazer restoration hack to go along with the retranslation by Steppolo Steppi?
Maybe an update to those item names that were "not straight forward".
And were the graphics uncensored? If not that would be a good thing to add in there.

I tried my hand at making a graphics restoration patch last year, with help of the ROM map at the Data Crystal and further documentation at http://pkhack.fobby.net/misc/soulblazer/. I got stuck trying to figure out how to display the Katakana in the title screen and Lisa's hands in the ending (graphical data for both still exists in the US version, which means the programming was simply altered to not use them. it's a matter of finding the specific programming), and found a bump when trying to restore Solid Arm's boss room
Spoiler:
turns out that conveyor programming is tied to map coordinates, not the tile type. IOW, You'll still automatically move if you're standing on a regular floor that you replaced a conveyor with in the Map Arrangement data. again, need to find the programming

I did manage to restore everything else, even Medusa, which is relatively difficult due to some technical reasons
Spoiler:
US Poseidon's sprite is assembled using less pieces (the sprite composition data uses 46 bytes less data in the US version, I had to move some other things around in order to fit the data within a single 32KB block), and holds the trident further from his body, so the sprite behavior was slightly altered, specifically the offsets when it came to spawning projectiles. had to disassemble that myself.

I do have a possible lead on the locations of the remaining programming I'd need to alter to finish this, I just need to prod around to see if I'm on the right track, though I suppose the best I can do is see if I can screw up said specific programming and work from there

EDIT: my leads were spot on. it's funny how after months of procrastination when it comes to disassembling the code by hand, I manage to restore what had stumped me in less than 24 hours. only a few minor things before it's complete, and I can probably skip them
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 05:02:46 pm by Kincyr »

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #6557 on: April 30, 2020, 05:38:28 pm »
 A GBA emulator for PSP with Vast Fame support would be nice. I would like to play Rockman and Crystal.

Insert "Witty Text" here.

deir707

• View Profile
« Reply #6558 on: May 01, 2020, 06:49:48 am »
Hack idea:
Is there a way or a project to be done to edit the player's name,team's name or logos in Sega Genesis game 'European Club Soccer'?

Vahan

• View Profile
« Reply #6559 on: May 02, 2020, 01:34:38 am »
Doesn't it already work on NES emulators, like the rest of the Vs games?

I don't see it on any ROM sites. I see someone has tried to make a hack, but I do not know which original ROM am I supposed to patch.

https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17412