News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1545382 times)

JUD6MENT

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6260 on: December 12, 2019, 05:58:48 pm »
With the entire soundtrack of Donkey Kong Country 1 given a hi-def fan revamp, why doesn't somebody create an MSU-1 hack so we can hear them in-game?

We have actually, go to Zeldix.net, that is were the MSU-1 hacks are, not here.

JUD6MENT

• View Profile
« Reply #6261 on: December 12, 2019, 06:00:53 pm »
So for Castlvania: Circle of the Moon, is there a talented rom hacker that can make the running dash be the default movement speed and there is no longer any need to double tap the direction pad to run? That would be a great idea if possible.

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #6262 on: December 13, 2019, 11:32:03 pm »
 Will someone please help me figure out why I have failed to properly insert songs into Castlevania AOS using 
Sappy about 300 Times!!!!!! :-[ I have literally tried everything!  :crazy: How did they swap the music in Dawn of Symphony and Hugh Baldwin Hack?  :huh: I have been trying to swap midis into AOS Alter and Yukuutski no Fantasia from the other GBA Castlevanias for a week straight and can't get one right.  :-\
Insert "Witty Text" here.

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: December 14, 2019, 09:21:48 am »
Idea - Get rid of or speed up the turning animation in the game Moon Crystal for NES. This would actually make the game a lot more easy during boss fights. The big mecha guy is just too difficult when the only time I can turn quickly is just before landing a jump.

treos

• View Profile
« Reply #6264 on: December 15, 2019, 12:00:42 pm »
I second that. Also, some love for Demon's Crest would be much appreciated! :)

agreed, it's amazing how so many years have passed by with nothing being done for demon's crest. no romhacks, barely any music remixes... it's easily one of my top snes faves.

you would think that after all these years something would have been done with it but no...

i mean, it is a great game to begin with but i would've thought it'd make for some great romhacking potential.

pocket

• View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: December 17, 2019, 02:43:20 am »
I adore the Super Mario Bros. 1 SMAS NES-ized hack from hiro1112 since I wasn't crazy about how the original game looked, it's mostly a big improvement imo. I have one small nitpick and one large one that is my main reason for coming here. The small nitpick is the trees in world 1-3. They've got a blurry texture. That's it.

Now for the main reason i'm here, this isn't an issue with hiro1112's hack as it is an issue I have with the original Super Mario All-Stars. The hack didn't fix one of the biggest problems I had with the original version that makes SMB1 look not quite right. I actually made a visual. Take a look at this.

This is how the hack looks normally... well, it's a mock-up since those enemies and Bowser normally don't appear there, but if they did, this would be how they looked.  Does Mario and that Mushroom kind of look like they don't belong there?  They got those thick black outlines like they were meant to be from a different game, and that's always bugged me about even the original Super Mario All-Stars.
Now take a look at this:

Doesn't Mario look more like he belongs here now? The original NES game didn't have any bold outlines on their sprites, and the SNES remake sort of emulated that somewhat. They have outlines but instead of being black, they're just dark colors that make it look more like shading.
But wait, that still just looks kind of like they slapped the Super Mario Bros. 3 sprite in SMB1 huh?  Let's fix Mario's posture.

There we go, now THAT's a faithful remake.  But as the title of this thread implies I've got the idea, but not the skill ( or the time, frankly )

EDIT: I've been dabbling in actual hacking and managed to fix the ugly bowser and orange yoshi arm in Super Mario World, and I was feeling like pretty hot shit, so I wanted to actually attempt this, and reverse Mario and Luigi's overall colors in SMB2 and 3 as well, and I could not even begin to know what I was doing when I tried, I don't know how you more talented folks do this, but you've got my respect.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 03:46:28 pm by pocket »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #6266 on: December 17, 2019, 02:07:17 pm »
I guess it's true that not all enemies have a line around them, but it didn't bother me. I also didn't mind mario standing the way it was.

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #6267 on: December 17, 2019, 09:34:35 pm »
Is anyone going to do some work on the official Trials of Mana rom to clean up the menu text glitches? You probably won't see it until you get a new piece of armor but if you go try to equip something the text from the end of "Press to equip" gets fused into the item name.

If that is too hard to fix, maybe someone could do a hybrid version patch that combines the new font and game script with the fan translation version. Since the only glitch in that one is that half of the A button gets eaten in menus.

StarWyvwern

• View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #6268 on: December 19, 2019, 09:28:25 am »
Multiplayer co-op for every Mega Man title.  :woot!:

1-3: Mega and Roll.
4-6: Mega, Proto, and Roll.
7: Mega, Proto, Auto, and Roll.
8: Mega, Proto, Duo, and Roll.
9: Mega, Proto, Roll, and Bass.
10: Mega, Proto, Roll, Bass, Duo, and Auto.  8)

GB titles: Mega, Quint, Punk, Ballade, and Enker.  ::)

Note: Enemy characters not listed playable except in GB titles for multiple reasons.

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: December 19, 2019, 09:13:19 pm »
Multiplayer co-op for every Mega Man title.  :woot!:

1-3: Mega and Roll.
4-6: Mega, Proto, and Roll.
7: Mega, Proto, Auto, and Roll.
8: Mega, Proto, Duo, and Roll.
9: Mega, Proto, Roll, and Bass.
10: Mega, Proto, Roll, Bass, Duo, and Auto.  8)

GB titles: Mega, Quint, Punk, Ballade, and Enker.  ::)

Note: Enemy characters not listed playable except in GB titles for multiple reasons.

Seconded!!
As the harbor is welcome to the sailor, so is the last line to the scribe.

- complaint in the margin of a medieval manuscript

StarWyvwern

• View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #6270 on: December 20, 2019, 05:09:29 pm »
Just a thought. A Metroid Prime Demake of 1, 2, 3, and Federation Force, in the style of Super Metroid or even Metroid Fusion would be great.  :D

pocket

• View Profile
« Reply #6271 on: December 21, 2019, 11:01:31 pm »
Do we have a BS Zelda hack that arranges the dungeon layouts to be the same as the original NES game yet?   I know it's likely impossible to re-create the original overworld, but I'd be satisfied with just the dungeons being remade.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6272 on: December 24, 2019, 04:17:52 am »
Snatcher (Sega CD): A hack that will decensor the game to make it look more like its PC Engine CD counterpart.

Final Fight CD (Sega CD):

A hack that will add all this stuff to the international versions:

Pyron's color hack.
Make his color hack work on the cut-scenes.
Decensor everything.
Restore the blood.
Redub all the cut-scenes with better voice actors.
Restore the missing ending cut-scene where Cody is talking to Guy from the Japanese version.
Fix any spelling errors in the text.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 11:07:35 pm by SCD »

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #6273 on: December 27, 2019, 08:35:50 pm »
Agreed. I'd do an ultimate patch for Super Mario World with the SA-1 improvements, the good Luigi sprite, and posibily some improvements from the Game Boy Advance port, like knowing the Dragon Coins you have collected in a stage.

Also:

- Axelay: make and arrange mode where you can recover your lost weapons, instead of having to die to have it again. Also, make the game brighter the default mode.
- Streets of Rage 3: bring back the original Streets of Rage 3 title screen to the japanese translation hack.

- Thunderforce IV: a patch to make the PAL version in full screen and fix the music slowdown.

- UN Squadron (Snes): Made it possible to save you game.

- Dynamite Headdy: I like a lot of the changes for the international release, but I'd like a patch that brings back some options from the japanese version:
* Start the game with 3 continues.
* Collecting 10 continue icons gives the player a continue.
* When you enter the tutorial segments, you'd be asked if you want to practice or leave the room like in the japanese version.
* Bring back the applause sound effect to Headdy's victory animation.
* Bring back the original Health Points from the japanese bosses (No more Twin Freaks desperation).

UMK3 for Genesis or SNES with altered AI that is more lenient and isn't totally cheap. No 100% countering certain moves like the roundhouse kick after 1 frame. No countering uppercuts with another uppercut after 1 frame. None of that perfect backwards walk stuff.
All of those sound great!

Some hacks i'd love to see:

- PS2 Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, Samurai Shodown Anthology, Street Fighter Alpha Anthology: a patch to completely disable the bilinear filter, which only blurs the graphics. And maybe, if it is possible, proper 240p support.

Other hacks that might require a lot of love and effort and might not happen:

- SNES Lethal Enforcers: restore missing frames, sounds and content, already present in the Mega Drive version, to make it closer to the arcade, since the snes port is already superior in sound quality and colors.

- SNES Final Fight: reinsert the missing stage.

Definitely not easy romhack:
- SNES Earthworm Jim: reinsert the missing level "Intestinal Distress" and maybe add "New Junk City Part 2" and "Big Bruty", the foreground clouds in "What the Heck", the new standing animations from Mega CD, the original sound effects that were cut (a somehow big amount)

It's not that hard, but due to the small size it would be more of a passing resemblance, or you'd have to change the monster bodies into just walking heads.

https://uploadfiles.io/t6hgarf2
You can switch back to 3 button mode by holding C + Start on controller 1 when you enter the options menu.
Any chance for a mirror of that Shinobi III 6 button default hack? That fileserver requires premium access.

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #6274 on: December 28, 2019, 03:09:04 am »
Anyone interested in improving Ninja Gaiden's issuse like reducing knock back,make enemies not respawn after they're killed, and not having to start from 6-1 when defeated by the final boss.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #6275 on: December 28, 2019, 09:39:05 am »
Put Pepe the Frog in this game, this game, and this game. :D

It's the perfect fit. :thumbsup:

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6276 on: December 28, 2019, 12:07:50 pm »
Well since the Game Gear had a Sailor Moon translation already, I wouldn't mind the other Sailor Moon games having English translation as well (though I'd also fix La Luna Splendid for the DS first).

EDIT: I also wouldn't mind if the games, if translated, would get the same treatment that SuperS Floating Party Panic did and give 2 different types of translations (with Original Names and with DIC/Cloverway names) to satisfy both purists/Viz Dub fans and those who grew up with the 90s dub.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 01:20:43 am by julayla »

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #6277 on: December 28, 2019, 12:25:01 pm »
Pokemon Stadium or any mainline game to use the type chart from the trading card games.

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #6278 on: December 28, 2019, 02:04:15 pm »
Without 3 bullet stacking like in the NES Mega Man games, Wily Wars is extemely annoying to play. Even the Mega Man X games let you stack bullets behind each other.

Is there any way that someone could either add the feature back in, or maybe make a duplicate of the Nuclear Fire weapon, retool it to look more like the full burst you'd expect from Mega Man 4 and set that as the default Buster weapon. Each level of charging should only take half of a second of holding down the fire button.

Mega Man would flash white for the first level of charge, then flash green for the second level of charge. This would make it function more like the charge shot in Rockman and Forte. If re-tooling the Nuclear Fire weapon to be the main Buster weapon would be too difficult, then maybe another option would be to reduce the number of hits needed for smaller enemies by half. Like, the Shrimp enemies in Bubble Man's stage normally take less hits in the actual NES game, but in Wily Wars they need more hits to kill and they start ganging up on you.

Same deal with the clock spring guys in Metal Man's stage.

Mamodo

• View Profile
« Reply #6279 on: December 28, 2019, 07:51:00 pm »
A Pokemon DPPt, HGSS, BW/BW2 patch to restore the metric system from the JP games to the US Pokedex

The imperial measuring system is useless outside the US, and the games becomes a less immersive experience when you have to check these things in a converter to have an idea about basic data that's meant to be readily available to the player.

Talking from my experience as a kid trying to figure out the metric system since the GB, this would be a big improvement for people in central and south america