News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1492116 times)

bukopandan

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6100 on: September 26, 2019, 01:47:32 pm »
I wonder if it's possible to remove the game limitations of X Men vs Street Fighter, Marvel vs Street Fighter and Marvel vs Capcom for the PS1 so players can swap characters in the game just like in their Arcade ports.
My Youtube Channel where I demonstrate my mad video gaming skills. Kekekek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGPnfU4q12x6vEWXv4Ftq8Q/videos

Marcos Jr

• View Profile
« Reply #6101 on: September 26, 2019, 05:27:01 pm »
Hello everyone!

In the game Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie (video game) for the SNES the unmorphed carachters perform special moves by pressing X, but it consumes the "power" bar quite fast, so we really can't use these special moves that much in the game.

A hack that allowed for the special moves be performed without consuming the power bar, or consuming it less, would be great!

Bonus points if the special move can be mapped to a buttom different to the morph buttom (so we would still be able to use the special move without morphing (normally by pressing X when the power bar is full, instead of performing the special move, the character will morph)).

redmagejoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6102 on: September 28, 2019, 04:41:55 pm »
Has anyone tried to make a patch for Final Fantasy Restored that reverts the US censoring of the final floor of the Chaos Shrine back to its original Japanese six-point star layout? I know there's not a separate patch for this since you can easily do it in FFHackster, but unfortunately either due to the data moved around by FF Restored or other effects of FFHackster, it's not possible to do this with just some tile changes. Using an IPS for just changing the layout created by FFHackster modifying an original US version causes the game to crash when that floor is loaded, and manually modifying my version of the game makes it work, but various other graphical assets in the game are garbled (item icons, menu characters, the main title screen graphic).

Is there anyone who has disassembled FF Restored and knows how these usually easy changes could be applied without causing problems? For reference, the changes in question are here. It's only adding exactly 47 more pillars, but without investing time that I simply don't have to picking apart FF Restored, I can't make this work.

Johnick

• View Profile
« Reply #6103 on: September 28, 2019, 05:43:09 pm »
Hi folks,

Has anyone ever considered a hack for Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold on the PS1 to make Cammy playable in all modes ?, she's a hidden character who is only playable in VS mode. This youtube video does a good job showing what happens if you try to play as her in other modes using cheat codes (skip to 2:48 mark for the demonstrations)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv0fsMmS3-0

Here are the notes from the youtube video

"---- She cannot be fought against/controlled by the CPU.

---- She can only be selected in Versus Mode.

---- She has no portrait or sprites programmed in for the Arcade character select screen. Getting her onto this screen will produce a messed up Ryu sprite on the screen with the portrait area blank.

---- If you use alternate methods to select her in Arcade Mode, you can only win one match with her because the game freezes when it tries to load up her winning screen.

---- If you use alternate methods to select her in Arcade Mode and you lose the match, the game freezes when it tries to load up her Continue screen.

---- Using the Shortcut screen option for Arcade Mode is even worse, as the game will lock up after you select her. Also, it's odd that Cammy's icon appears flawed on this screen, considering that she appears perfectly in the Versus Mode shortcut character select screen.

---- If you use alternate methods to get the CPU to control her, it'll mostly freeze the game when the round starts. Despite what the video shows, this doesn't always happen... instead sometimes she does some odd motions when the CPU is in control.

A possible solution might be to re-link her missing data, like in game quotes and endings to those used by another character (Bison would be best), it wouldn't make perfect sense but at least you could play all modes with her. This would be similar to how some CD rips on the Dreamcast had to re-link music that was ripped out for the game to other tracks to fit on a CD (The scene rip of Guilty Gear on the Dreamcast did this).

It might also be possible to back port the needed data from the PS2 version of Street Fighter Alpha Anthology, because on this version she can be fully played in all modes.

Thanks in advance ;)

Jiggers

• View Profile
« Reply #6104 on: September 30, 2019, 02:36:23 am »
Has anyone tried to make a patch for Final Fantasy Restored that reverts the US censoring of the final floor of the Chaos Shrine back to its original Japanese six-point star layout?

FF1's Chaos Room map starts at 00019FBD. FF Restored's starts at 00019FC0. It's a 3-byte difference. The maps are ended with $FF. So what you could do is edit the map in vanilla FF, save it, copy from 00019FBD to the next $FF in a hex editor, then paste it into your FF Restored rom, at the new starting address. That should do it... I think? Good luck!

Alternatively... you have the IPS patch already. If its JUST the map, then bytes 6, 7, and 8 in the IPS file are the start address and should be 01 9F BD. So you'd just change the BD to C0.
I know exactly what I'm doing. I just don't know what effect it's going to have.

redmagejoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6105 on: September 30, 2019, 10:04:00 pm »
FF1's Chaos Room map starts at 00019FBD. FF Restored's starts at 00019FC0. It's a 3-byte difference. The maps are ended with $FF. So what you could do is edit the map in vanilla FF, save it, copy from 00019FBD to the next $FF in a hex editor, then paste it into your FF Restored rom, at the new starting address. That should do it... I think? Good luck!

Alternatively... you have the IPS patch already. If its JUST the map, then bytes 6, 7, and 8 in the IPS file are the start address and should be 01 9F BD. So you'd just change the BD to C0.
Wasn't quite at the addresses you mentioned, but your suggestion is on the right track. No idea why I didn't think to do this. Diff'd the old and new, Ctrl+F'd my ROM for the values I copied from the unmodified ROM, found it immediately, and then just replaced it with my modified chunk. It seems to have worked!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 10:15:07 pm by redmagejoe »

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: October 04, 2019, 07:12:50 pm »
Gonna be honest: I actually like the Roll Chan games. I'm kinda glad Roll is appreciated with her own games. Though I wonder if there will be something similar done to the Megaman Wily Wars Genesis game to have Proto Man or Roll or Bass playable?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 09:33:22 pm by julayla »

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #6107 on: October 05, 2019, 06:38:10 am »
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie...
A hack that allowed for the special moves be performed without consuming the power bar, or consuming it less, would be great!

Easy. Just find the instruction that checks the power bar and always return a positive result (and remove the instruction that reduces the bar, I suppose). Very simple hack for someone who knows.

Bonus points if the special move can be mapped to a buttom different to the morph buttom (so we would still be able to use the special move without morphing (normally by pressing X when the power bar is full, instead of performing the special move, the character will morph)).

Also easy. Just find the instruction that checks for X and change it to another button, while leaving the morph one).

I can't look at it now, but I think both of them should be quite straightforward. Maybe when I get the chance I'll try it.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #6108 on: October 05, 2019, 04:20:28 pm »
This is screaming to be a hack for the NES... :D

Someone please make this happen and call the hack #MAGA. :laugh:

#

• View Profile
« Reply #6109 on: October 05, 2019, 07:10:36 pm »
This is screaming to be a hack for the NES... :D

Someone please make this happen and call the hack #MAGA. :laugh:
It could work but for the best results it requires larger sprites that might affect performance (and flickering):

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #6110 on: October 05, 2019, 08:08:18 pm »

OMG I laughed so hard when I saw that image! :D

Oh okay I see what you mean. Would it be hard to edit the heads into Trump and Pence with what's already available? 

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: October 07, 2019, 11:23:00 pm »
I had this idea for Ninja Gaiden on the NES here is a list.

-Reduce or remove the knock back.

-Make it so that the enemies don't respawn after you kill them.

-Fix the bug for when you die to the final boss you respawn at act 6-3 instead of 6-1.

-Make it so that Ryu can move up and down on any wall like in the sequels.

Some of these changes would be nice for Ninja Gaiden 2.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: October 08, 2019, 12:27:22 am »
Been hearing so much of this, maybe especially since the AVGN video.
Going back from 6-4 to 6-1 is not a bug. The code could not be more deliberate in its function.

Even other Tecmo games did that at the time. Solomon's Key had a continue code that made you play the last 10 levels in sequence.
Rygar arcade wouldn't let you continue after a point.
This was the "arcade hard" era of games.

But I guess Ninja Gaiden NES was the only game of those people seem to have really played so they assume that it was a "bug".

But if you really want to nerf it, I've probably already posted the relevant code years ago.
I remember the current level is stored in RAM at $006E. There's code which checks $6E at death (or maybe death just at a boss stage) and SPECIFICALLY checks the ID number for 6-4 and sets it SPECIFICALLY to the ID for 6-1.
Someone who knows ASM could find that again in a few minutes I'm sure.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #6113 on: October 08, 2019, 05:34:41 am »
Going back from 6-4 to 6-1 is not a bug. The code could not be more deliberate in its function.

Yep, as you mentioned, some among us have examined the actual code and can see that the game specifically checks. Another example for your list: Shinobi in the arcade (maybe home versions, I dunno) give you one shot at the final level, and if you die then it's game over, no continues. Previous levels allow you to add coins to continue from there, but not the final level. Clearly Ninja Gaiden is not alone in this way of thinking. :)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: October 08, 2019, 11:08:22 am »
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist
I wish for a simple palette swap of red and purple foot soldiers.

I was able to find the color palettes and switch them around, but I found out that the red foot soldier shares the same colors of the fire, explosion, barrel and TNT box sprites.

So it didn't look right on the other sprites, the only thing I can think of that will make this work is maybe switch the enemy ID of the red and purple foot soldiers around, but I don't know where it is in the ROM.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: October 08, 2019, 12:48:50 pm »
I loved the Sailor Moon gameboy games (despite never knowing the translations at the time). And to be honest, I wish the games had a Super Gameboy or Gameboy Color treatment one day.

EDIT: Another game series I wouldn't mind fixing would be the Gameboy Color version of the Powerpuff Girls three games. Or at least the weird flying mechanic. I don't know. The games when I tried them kind of felt like they were Christmas Rushed and needed fixing on at least the flying and hit detection.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 10:51:16 pm by julayla »

RetroProf

• View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: October 09, 2019, 05:49:04 am »
Hack request for:
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master (Genesis/Mega Drive)

So the Mega Drive/Genesis Mini contains Shinobi III, but due to the way the 6 button controller works, it is not possible to activate the 6 button mode (you need to hold down the "Mode Button", but on the Mini this does not function like the original controller's Mode Button, it is simply a way to get back to the main menu). Idiots.  :banghead:

Can someone please produce an IPS patch which, when applied, will permanently activate the 6 button mode without needing to go through the special input code to unlock it? (You need to hold Mode Button on 1P controller, and hold UP and C on 2P controller, then press start at the title screen.)

I tried to HEX edit this myself, by activating it in NeoGenesis, and swapping between save states while searching for changing HEX values, but despite finding several potential matches none of them actually activated the 6 button mode.

I don't know what sort of values in the code result in the 6 button mode functioning.

But if someone made a patch, which we could all apply, we could then put Shinobi III on our Mini consoles once it's been hacked and play the game the way it was meant to be played. You know, even if you don't make a patch, if you could tell me the HEX address and value to change I can HEX edit the ROM myself. But I figure others would value this too.

There is a hack:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/827/

But this still requires use of the Mode Button, which as I've explained is non-functional on the Mini's 6 button controller.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6117 on: October 09, 2019, 06:44:59 am »
I am not usually a fan of hacking things to work for lesser emulators/devices but this has me curious. Alas I don't know if we have a simple hardpatch RAM code cheat these days for the megadrive/genesis and I have my doubts as to whether such a thing is feasible this side of some crazy AI decompilation/disassembly or premade list of injection points (at times I am impressed the GBA can play host to such things).

Trying to hunt down a flag in a running game with conventional cheat search is frequently an exercise in frustration. It can be done though (enough of has it changed, has it remained the same and you can usually get to things you can watch for most games). On "has it remained the same" then I frequently find new cheat makers skip this in favour of constantly changing the thing and looking for that change where doing nothing but letting the game run for a few seconds or doing a whole bunch save for tweaking the flag you want helps narrows things down far more quickly.

More practically if you have some assembly skills (minor ones as these things go, great learning the basics of assembly hack too) buttons are either read from the registers provided for button states ( https://segaretro.org/Sega_Mega_Drive/Memory_map ) or copied to another section (a process called debouncing*) and then for the next frame (or perhaps more) any reads of the button are for that section. It should be easy enough to find something watching for the mode button and setting something accordingly, and instead telling it to always set that mode regardless, or change it such that it looks for a different combo of buttons (or maybe even a second controller).

*switches are mostly just on or off but when pressed one millisecond to the next as it is being pressed or released might be off followed by on followed by off and if the button state is read for 3 different functions then you could end up with some strange behaviour in the game. Alternatively if you have had a mouse start to fail and single clicks act as double clicks then that is an example of switch bounce, albeit as a failure mode rather than normal operation.

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: October 09, 2019, 07:55:52 am »
...Another game series I wouldn't mind fixing would be the Gameboy Color version of the Powerpuff Girls three games...
Man I hate that Powerpuff Girls show! That whole series and franchise has sucked large ever since the girls beat up Rainbow the Clown, an innocent clown! Yes, Rainbow had an evil alter ego, but that was completely out of his control. What an overrated show!

I have another idea: hack Super Mario Bros. 3 and the NES pirate homebrew of Super Mario World (NES), and Super Mario All-Stars and World (SNES) and come up with much better versions of Mario Is Missing! and Mario's Time Machine, combining the platforming and educational genres and giving us the NES and SNES versions we actually deserved. Here's a sample of such ideas, these are for Mario Is Missing!, shown in this link: https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=89900&page=1&pid=1427975.

BeaterEngineering

• View Profile
Crayon Shin-Chan DS
« Reply #6119 on: October 09, 2019, 10:12:08 pm »
Hi! I'm just new on this scene & I can't find where is the request forum.
I'm looking for English Translation for all the Crayon Shin-Chan series for DS.
I think it's a good game but there's no language option from those games. :(