News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1270532 times)

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5840 on: June 06, 2019, 04:19:17 am »
I think it would be an awesome idea to combine different fighting games on the same console and style into one. For example (for the SNES): Super Street Fighter II - The New Challengers combined with the two Fighter's History games and possibly even Battle Master. SD Hiryu no Ken combined with Super Chinese Fighter.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

DragonflyShadows

• View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: June 08, 2019, 05:25:17 pm »
I know no-one's going to read this, but on the one in a million chance someone does and knows how to hack DQ1, can we get the controls from DQII and onwards. Also, maybe the experience stat could be hidden from UI elements to make the UI even sleeker.

Fionordequester

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: June 08, 2019, 10:37:15 pm »
Is there anyone here who is familiar with DTE Compression for NES?  I downloaded the DTE Tutorial, but I also wished to have someone I could talk to in case I'm confused on something.

#

• View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: June 09, 2019, 09:37:52 am »
I know no-one's going to read this, but on the one in a million chance someone does and knows how to hack DQ1, can we get the controls from DQII and onwards. Also, maybe the experience stat could be hidden from UI elements to make the UI even sleeker.
You should check out the DQ1 remakes.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 09:51:54 am by # »

4lorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: June 09, 2019, 12:35:59 pm »
I'd like to see a Final Fight 3 hack with Resident Evil characters - players, enemies, bosses, etc. Probably based on the 1st or 2nd RE. I was playing it the other day and some backgrounds and scenes wouldn't be out of place, actually. I could do the necessary player character edits, quite likely, but the FF3 extractor on RHDN is offset based, and I can't justify hours of inputing random offsets until I strike gold.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5845 on: June 10, 2019, 09:47:31 am »
So guys, I don't normally post here, but it's worth a shot because maybe someone knows something I don't. I recently tried Pole Position in MAME with my USB racing wheel. Most arcade games are fine with it since it's essentially like an analogue stick without up and down, and most arcade games use this approach. Pole Position, however, doesn't: it uses a spinner, like the racing controller on the Atari 2600. In the service menu it's clear: each position of the spinner is between $00 and $FF, and as you move it around it changes to whatever position it's on at that moment (and doesn't recentre when you let go, naturally). This basically means that unless you can a) get a real spinner controller or b) hack up a mouse to do something similar, your only acceptable option is to use a regular digital joypad/stick, since at least that way you can smoothly go left and right, whereas a typical analogue stick causes chaos.

But I'm a ROM hacker, so immediately I wondered if I could hack the ROM to use typical analogue controls instead of the spinner. I can understand the principle, but one problem is that all arcade games are a different system. All I know for sure is that the main CPU is a Z80, which is good since I can understand that. What I don't know is how the input is registered. I found a reference in the RAM to the same value I saw onscreen in the service menu, but I don't know if that was just for displaying the number on the screen. Anyone got any thoughts/knowledge to share? The best alternative seems to be the Dreamcast port, though maybe there's something else I haven't seen before.

#

• View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: June 10, 2019, 10:26:42 am »
So guys, I don't normally post here, but it's worth a shot because maybe someone knows something I don't. I recently tried Pole Position in MAME with my USB racing wheel. Most arcade games are fine with it since it's essentially like an analogue stick without up and down, and most arcade games use this approach. Pole Position, however, doesn't: it uses a spinner, like the racing controller on the Atari 2600. In the service menu it's clear: each position of the spinner is between $00 and $FF, and as you move it around it changes to whatever position it's on at that moment (and doesn't recentre when you let go, naturally). This basically means that unless you can a) get a real spinner controller or b) hack up a mouse to do something similar, your only acceptable option is to use a regular digital joypad/stick, since at least that way you can smoothly go left and right, whereas a typical analogue stick causes chaos.

But I'm a ROM hacker, so immediately I wondered if I could hack the ROM to use typical analogue controls instead of the spinner. I can understand the principle, but one problem is that all arcade games are a different system. All I know for sure is that the main CPU is a Z80, which is good since I can understand that. What I don't know is how the input is registered. I found a reference in the RAM to the same value I saw onscreen in the service menu, but I don't know if that was just for displaying the number on the screen. Anyone got any thoughts/knowledge to share? The best alternative seems to be the Dreamcast port, though maybe there's something else I haven't seen before.
Turn the dial sensitivity down low in analog controls and any analog stick or racing wheel will work like a charm. No hacking required.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5847 on: June 10, 2019, 05:05:00 pm »
Turn the dial sensitivity down low in analog controls and any analog stick or racing wheel will work like a charm. No hacking required.

I tried that first, and although it DOES make the handling more bearable (though it's still not quite correct), something strange happens in the actual race. Now, I haven't heard anyone mentioning this before so I feel like I must be crazy, but when I do the qualifying lap, it feels fine, I'm able to qualify without much trouble. Then, in the race, the handling completely changes. It becomes much slower to turn, to the point where it feels like you're playing Quake with a bad ping (wonder if anyone here will get the reference :) ). It's almost impossible to drive in the race, for me at least. Don't know if anyone else gets this issue, but it's weird.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: June 10, 2019, 08:35:56 pm »
Rather than messing with sensitivity would some kind of dead zone fiddling get you what you want? Or maybe routing the wheel though one of those joypad to keyboard programs to turn it into more regular input styles?

NeoTorpor

• View Profile
Harvest Moon (GBC) to NES.
« Reply #5849 on: June 11, 2019, 07:57:57 pm »
Hello! I am new at this forum, so far i have a bit of experience with assembly. After several months of digging, Would be a romhack porting Harvest Moon GBC to NES? Or just pure bootleg?. I don't know where to ask this so i took a shot and posted it here. Since there is a Harvest Moon NES bootleg made by some Chinese team with very annoying music and there is no translation (yet). It seems that the dudes "ripped off" the data from HM GBC and it's a pretty dirty way to do it but very interesting. So, could it be a romhack or a bootleg? Thank you.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Harvest Moon (GBC) to NES.
« Reply #5850 on: June 11, 2019, 08:49:43 pm »
No, they are completely different hardware. You cannot port from GBC to NES.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

NeoTorpor

• View Profile
« Reply #5851 on: June 11, 2019, 09:20:36 pm »
I mean, using the data which is already made and coding it to the NES hardware. Sprites, Music, but making the code by myself. Or maybe with the aid of any disassembler. The Chinese team did it with the bootleg, the graphics came from the GBC version of the game. The gameplay can be found via youtube as "Harvest Moon bootleg".

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5852 on: June 12, 2019, 12:24:14 am »
No, they are completely different hardware. You cannot port from GBC to NES.

Well, I think those two sentences are not mutually exclusive. :) Yes, the NES and GBC are completely different hardware, so taking the code and placing it into the other system is impossible. But I wouldn't say you "cannot" port, because what's a port, after all? You can port anything to anything. The problem is that you'd have to write the game from scratch. Sure, you might be able to imitate some of the logic, but given the difference in hardware, it would be a totally new game.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #5853 on: June 12, 2019, 01:13:52 am »
Someone just tested it out, The version of Trials of Mana that was extracted from the collection is not compatible with every single hack for SD3.  This shocks no one, I'm sure.

Anyhow, it'd be great if we could get the 3 player back up and going but the situation sounds like it'll take some doing.  I'm probably asking for a taller order than I'm thinking.  EDIT: Looks like 3-player already works after all.  Bugfixes do not.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 03:48:05 pm by Chronosplit »

SergeEXE

• View Profile
« Reply #5854 on: June 12, 2019, 11:26:56 am »
Someone just tested it out, The version of Trials of Mana that was extracted from the collection is not compatible with every single hack for SD3.  This shocks no one, I'm sure.

Anyhow, it'd be great if we could get the 3 player back up and going but the situation sounds like it'll take some doing.  I'm probably asking for a taller order than I'm thinking.

I also just tested out the Bug-fix patch from the Insane Difficulty forum, which unfortunately did not work. I would very much like those fixes more than just about anything else and registered after testing to suggest it.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5855 on: June 12, 2019, 12:59:27 pm »
Well, I think those two sentences are not mutually exclusive. :) Yes, the NES and GBC are completely different hardware, so taking the code and placing it into the other system is impossible. But I wouldn't say you "cannot" port, because what's a port, after all? You can port anything to anything. The problem is that you'd have to write the game from scratch. Sure, you might be able to imitate some of the logic, but given the difference in hardware, it would be a totally new game.
Oops. Wrong intent. I meant as in "cannot port by simply hacking the ROM", would need to write new code from scratch.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #5856 on: June 12, 2019, 03:13:18 pm »
Perhaps now that there is a complete spanish translation of Star Ocean: Blue Sphere, it would be easier to do an english translation :3

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5857 on: June 12, 2019, 03:57:04 pm »
There have been title hacks for Seiken Densetsu 3 before, so I was hoping someone could make one that takes the Trials of Mana logo from the new localization and add it to the title screen and intro credits crawl. It would be great if the patch could work with Neill Corlett's translation, too.
free sluffy

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #5858 on: June 12, 2019, 04:23:20 pm »
Here's a hack idea - Take the title screen from Trials of Mana and copy it. Then take the small font that was already in the Niel Collette patch of SD3, the spell and item information font. Scrap every bit of the big text from the game's memory. That should make room for more dialogue space. This idea would basically be what Secret of Mana Relocalized is, but for SD3. A condensed font. Dialogue more closely following the Japanese script. And if it's even possible - fixes for some of the stat effects that didn't get implemented due to coding errors.

Even in the official Trials of Mana translation I've read that none of those bugs were fixed. Also - the M's. Even on the old Niel Collette patch the way the "legs" of M's blur together always drove me crazy. Not on the big font, those were always clear due to the size of them. But the M's in the spell /item font would mash together especially on CRT Svideo, and this is a thing even on the new translation. I've always thought... Why not take those lowercase W's - invert them and use _those_ as M's? It would still look fairly clear since the little divits in the lowercase W is very pronounced.

https://ibb.co/v13ZLck
An upside down W makes a much better M. It just looks easier to distinguish.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 04:41:57 pm by WeebeeGeebee »

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5859 on: June 12, 2019, 06:57:30 pm »
Here's a hack idea - Take the title screen from Trials of Mana and copy it. Then take the small font that was already in the Niel Collette patch of SD3, the spell and item information font. Scrap every bit of the big text from the game's memory. That should make room for more dialogue space. This idea would basically be what Secret of Mana Relocalized is, but for SD3. A condensed font. Dialogue more closely following the Japanese script. And if it's even possible - fixes for some of the stat effects that didn't get implemented due to coding errors.

Even in the official Trials of Mana translation I've read that none of those bugs were fixed. Also - the M's. Even on the old Niel Collette patch the way the "legs" of M's blur together always drove me crazy. Not on the big font, those were always clear due to the size of them. But the M's in the spell /item font would mash together especially on CRT Svideo, and this is a thing even on the new translation. I've always thought... Why not take those lowercase W's - invert them and use _those_ as M's? It would still look fairly clear since the little divits in the lowercase W is very pronounced.

https://ibb.co/v13ZLck
An upside down W makes a much better M. It just looks easier to distinguish.

A VWF would be more desirable than either the localization's or Corlett's smaller font, I think. Or even injecting Chrono Trigger's font, similar to how the Secret of Mana Relocalization/FuSoYa patch did theirs: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/snes/patches/18readme.txt.

I personally just want the Trials of Mana logo for the title screen and opening credits crawl. The fan effort we got years ago is more than suitable.
free sluffy