News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1388169 times)

Xdegenerate

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5820 on: May 27, 2019, 06:00:54 am »
@Xdegenerate, this seems like a pretty cool idea, and it's one that can totally be done on the SNES ROM, particularly with the help of this document.  There's another version coming this summer, but everything you need to start is sitting right there within that link.

A couple of the biggest challenges might be... if you could only pick 4 or 5 legends per team, which legends would you pick?  How far back would you go?  How far forward?  What would you do about the expansion teams?  How would you gather your stats to make them comparable?

If you end up taking a read through that Hacking NBA Jam TE document and feel this is a road you'd be interested in going down, feel free to drop me a PM.  Happy to provide some thoughts/tactics that could help you take a project like this to completion.

I'd most likely go with who is ranked the top 5 players of all time or if theyre good enough right now that they deserve to be on the team. For some teams it's an easy choice, but others I'd probably let people vote on. Although IF there is no room for a certain legend, they could always become a hidden character. Stats would be an easy thing to determine for well known players, tho if I put someone like Bob Love or Jerry Sloan on the Bulls, I have no idea what the hell their stats where to begin with? A lot of research would probably have to be done. Expatiation teams: I was thinking of a celebrity team! Like famous fiction basketball characters from TV and movies. Like Billy and Sidney from White Men Cant Jump, Scott Howard from Teen Wolf, Saleh and Jimmy Dolan from The Air Up There. And the other expansion team figuring out who the top 5 players are that never played in the NBA. Like the Goat etc..

EDIT: Yikes. I don't think I have what it takes to create it. lol
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 07:29:13 am by Xdegenerate »

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: May 27, 2019, 10:33:33 am »
Yikes. I don't think I have what it takes to create it. lol

You'd be surprised.  The stuff you've spelled out here can be achieved using that Hacking NBA Jam TE document and becomes reasonably "easy" once you get into a groove with the portraits and setting up the stats.  Plus, there are editors on this site for changing player names and stats (both visual and in-game).  It really is more time consuming than difficult, and once you get into it, I'll bet you'll find other things you'll want to do, like edit some of the text regarding features, or change names in the roll call screen...

There are websites that can help with stats too.  NLSC has a forum regarding basketball videogames, so you could get some ideas (and likely a fanbase) there.  There's also a 2K-like website that doles out a bunch of stats for many players, so that could be leveraged too.

Again, all do-able.  It really ends up boiling down to a question of how badly do you want to be able to play that game (considering the time commitment making it), or how many downloads are you expecting, and are you willing to put in that much effort to get them, even if the base of interest is fairly small?

If none of that motivates you, take a look at this [shameless plug!!!] romhack. It incorporates just about everything I learned through writing that hacking document, and that hack came about with a good amount of help from some great folks on this site.

Cavery210

• View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: May 28, 2019, 08:40:18 pm »
A playable boss hack for these SNES and Genesis fighters WITHOUT easy move. Cause sometimes, I want to play the game with the original special move commands, but not have to enter a long ass code to unlock the bosses. Plus, it would be useful for tournaments.

Fatal Fury Special (SNES) - Ryo enabled by default.

Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SNES) - Shin Akuma enabled with fixed portrait and map.

World Heroes 2 (SNES) - Dio and Neo Geegus enabled by default.

Fatal Fury 2 (SNES/Genesis) - Krauser, Billy Kane, Laurence and Axel enabled by default.

Clay Fighter (SNES/Genesis) - Playable N. Boss

Clay Fighter 2 (SNES) - All hidden characters enabled by default.

Gundam Wing Endless Duel (SNES) - Epyon enabled by default.

Power Rangers: Fighting Edition (SNES) - Ivan Ooze enabled by default.

Power Rangers (Genesis) - Evil Green Ranger enabled by default.

Fighter's History: Mizoguchi Kiki Ippatsu (SNES) - Chelnov enabled by default.

Fighter's History (SNES) - Karnov and Clown enabled by default.

Xdegenerate

• View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: May 29, 2019, 12:13:26 am »
You'd be surprised.  The stuff you've spelled out here can be achieved using that Hacking NBA Jam TE document and becomes reasonably "easy" once you get into a groove with the portraits and setting up the stats.  Plus, there are editors on this site for changing player names and stats (both visual and in-game).  It really is more time consuming than difficult, and once you get into it, I'll bet you'll find other things you'll want to do, like edit some of the text regarding features, or change names in the roll call screen...

There are websites that can help with stats too.  NLSC has a forum regarding basketball videogames, so you could get some ideas (and likely a fanbase) there.  There's also a 2K-like website that doles out a bunch of stats for many players, so that could be leveraged too.

Again, all do-able.  It really ends up boiling down to a question of how badly do you want to be able to play that game (considering the time commitment making it), or how many downloads are you expecting, and are you willing to put in that much effort to get them, even if the base of interest is fairly small?

If none of that motivates you, take a look at this [shameless plug!!!] romhack. It incorporates just about everything I learned through writing that hacking document, and that hack came about with a good amount of help from some great folks on this site.

Its the time consuming part. Lol. Having a job and a 3 year old leaves me very little time to work on something this time consuming. I'll have another look later and see if I can create at least 1 new character and see if I can get my head around it.

OliviérBaguette

• View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: May 30, 2019, 10:02:23 am »
Forget what I mentioned before about a "Castlevania III hack with Famicom Music", seeing as how it is an almost impossible task.

My new idea is an Akumajou Densetsu hack that adds CV3 Password functionalities (Passwords like "HELP ME", and so on), as well as incorporates the many graphical improvements from CV3 (Like the coffins during the mummy fight on the haunted ship, or the Leviathan/Lesser Demon's sprite, the way Trevor shakes his partner's hands, etc.)

These are the only problems with Akumajou Densetsu (Apart from the bugs, but these stick out more.)

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: May 30, 2019, 01:03:47 pm »
Ummm... Help Me works just fine in AjDen.
So essentially all you're asking for is a fairly minor graphics edit.
That should be pretty easy to accomplish on your own with a graphics editor like Tile Layer Pro.

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: May 30, 2019, 02:50:50 pm »
Forget what I mentioned before about a "Castlevania III hack with Famicom Music", seeing as how it is an almost impossible task.
You really want people to forget that suggestion? Well, I can see that implementing Famicom music from Castlevania III into the NES version might be a difficult task, but "almost impossible"? I don't think so. With the right skills and experience, nothing is even almost impossible.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5827 on: May 30, 2019, 04:02:49 pm »
You really want people to forget that suggestion? Well, I can see that implementing Famicom music from Castlevania III into the NES version might be a difficult task, but "almost impossible"? I don't think so. With the right skills and experience, nothing is even almost impossible.

Have you got a soldering iron? Cause you're gonna need it. :)

http://callanbrown.com/index.php/castlevania-iii-with-full-famicom-audio

OliviérBaguette

• View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: May 30, 2019, 06:51:05 pm »
Ummm... Help Me works just fine in AjDen.
So essentially all you're asking for is a fairly minor graphics edit.
That should be pretty easy to accomplish on your own with a graphics editor like Tile Layer Pro.
You say "HELP ME" works for AjDen, but everywhere I've seen online that mentions that password and Akumajou Den say it doesn't. This and I just booted a ROM into fceux and it doesn't work. I don't know what the Japanese passwords are for AjDen, what I mean is the passwords from the U.S. release, if there are not Japanese equivalents. "HELP ME","AKAMA","OKUDA","FUJIMOTO","URATA" and their respective results.
Also, I tried using YYCHR (because it's easier to see the sprites in 8x16 than TLP) to edit the sprites, and also tried hex editing to try and fix garbled sprites, but I ended up changing the palette and background tiles. I might start again with a fresh ROM, but its harder for me.

You're right, I shouldn't have said "almost impossible". Maybe something like "time consuming" or "difficult".

I meant just a ROM. Though I don't know if changing CV3's music in ROM is as difficult as in physical, I feel it may still be time consuming.
Thanks for the replies guys.

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: May 30, 2019, 07:14:11 pm »

That link has some very helpful information for anyone interested in such a project. To be honest, I'm not interested in doing something like this, but other people might be, like the guy whose site you linked to. That being said, the point I'm making is nevertheless still a fact. That's because it goes for everything in general, and I don't just mean putting full Famicom audio into Castlevania III for the NES.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: May 31, 2019, 11:36:30 am »
You know, after watching the 2 part OVA and reading the manga, I wouldn't mind there being a translation of the Dragon Half PC Engine game

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: May 31, 2019, 03:36:15 pm »
That link has some very helpful information for anyone interested in such a project. To be honest, I'm not interested in doing something like this, but other people might be, like the guy whose site you linked to. That being said, the point I'm making is nevertheless still a fact. That's because it goes for everything in general, and I don't just mean putting full Famicom audio into Castlevania III for the NES.
I don't condone the content, but I would not trust that author's advice. His method on how to remove ROMs even mentions it's a bit dangerous.
I would not trust a guy that tells me to go look up another topic myself on youtube (opening carts) and has a severe lack of photos to show the process. I've seen a number of videos and photo tutorials and those who sound like they know what they're doing will want to make it very clear to the user how to do it. ("cut a hole for the hole, but not too low." FFS man give us a photo of what "just right" looks like :P )
Also, isn't hot gluing stuff the sign of amateur mods? Never seen any of the guys who give me a "pro" impression use it.

I saw this, because unlike software modding where errors can theoretically be reversed, you can't take back hardware modding errors. It's a FAR more delicate process and one should take time to do it carefully, since again, the risk of breaking stuff permanently.
(I say as I can't hardware mod myself.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: May 31, 2019, 04:40:28 pm »
Today, I watched an obscure anime called Cyber City Oedo 808 and that got me reminded of the PC Engine game that never got brought to the US. Maybe someone should do a translation/fandub of the game (ala like the UK did for the Anime series).

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: June 01, 2019, 02:02:34 am »
Tetris: Cheater Edition

A hack for either the NES or Game Boy versions of Tetris where the player can use dirty tricks to get around stuff and say "fuck you" to the game. Like moving pieces outside the playing field to make them fit, or flipping them so they match their reversed counterparts.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 02:07:40 am by BlazeHeatnix »

Vercalos

• View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: June 01, 2019, 03:16:43 am »
The one I really want to see is a hack of the SNES version of Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble, with most of the music replaced with the GBA version's soundtrack.  I feel the GBA version's soundtrack is superior to the original SNES version's.  If I had any idea how to do it myself, I would.  I would imagine it would probably take ripping the tracks from the GBA ROM, then transposing everything manually into an SNES-compatible soundfont, and injecting it into the SNES ROM

BaiduMe

• View Profile
« Reply #5835 on: June 03, 2019, 04:58:50 pm »
Kids, you wanna know the spirit of ROM hacking? This is it.

BaiduMe has looked inside this game, figured out how the graphics were stored and how to replace them, then did the same for the text, and for what? To translate the game? No. To add new characters? No. BaiduMe did it simply to see if they could do it.

I think this is the attitude that a lot of posters in this thread could learn from. The best hackers don't do it to get something out of it: they do it to see if they can. Bravo. :thumbsup:

If you keep it up, I'm sure you'll do some cool things. ;)

Sorry for the late response, I didn't see it  :laugh:

I actually did manage to do some cool stuff! I wrote a script that can extract and import data into the game. It automatically calculates the offset in the rom and uses the compression algorithm I got. Pretty dope and interesting. Having a lot of fun with it.

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: June 03, 2019, 05:51:13 pm »
FINAL FIGHT 2 (SNES): an option to turn on/off hitting each other in 2 players mode, just like final fight 3.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #5837 on: June 03, 2019, 09:43:52 pm »
You say "HELP ME" works for AjDen, but everywhere I've seen online that mentions that password and Akumajou Den say it doesn't. This and I just booted a ROM into fceux and it doesn't work. I don't know what the Japanese passwords are for AjDen, what I mean is the passwords from the U.S. release, if there are not Japanese equivalents. "HELP ME","AKAMA","OKUDA","FUJIMOTO","URATA" and their respective results.

My mistake then. I must be mis-remembering.

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: June 04, 2019, 12:58:34 am »
Ocarina of Time 3D

Restoring the original Fire Temple music (it's present in the files), restoring the Islamic Gerudo symbol, and uncensoring Ganon's blood.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: June 04, 2019, 10:30:36 am »
Ocarina of Time 3D

Restoring the original Fire Temple music (it's present in the files), restoring the Islamic Gerudo symbol, and uncensoring Ganon's blood.
I've been meaning to have some of the features of OoT 3D ported into OoT 64 using Randomizer as the base, but I haven't had any luck with it due to my inexperience with Python and how the Randomizer is coded.

Basically this is what I am attempting:
A completely "remastered" version of OoT which uses OoT Randomizer as its base for most of the ASM hacks.
https://github.com/TestRunnerSRL/OoT-Randomizer

In other words, an OoT Randomizer fork which disables the randomizing aspect of it, but keeps all of the ASM perks of it, which make OoT a much more enjoyable experience altogether.

What I'm mainly looking for, is that on top of the Randomizer ASM hacks, the only thing I think needs to be added or modified is:
  • Restore all cutscenes back into the game, to enjoy the full OoT experience without their removal (which was done due to speedrunning nature of Randomizer)
  • Remove all item/equipment randomization aspect from the project. Basically make it so that all items are located in the same places as in vanilla OoT, so that people that want to play a revamped/remastered version of vanilla OoT can do so, without having to worry about random items and such
  • All settings/toggles should be the same as vanilla OoT
  • No damage/power/price modifications when compared to vanilla OoT
I have attempted to make the changes myself, but I do not fully understand how to restore all of the cutscenes (I did manage to restore some, not all), nor how to remove the randomization from the project.

If anyone can help out, I'd be very grateful!