News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1146402 times)

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5640 on: March 11, 2019, 01:17:01 am »
It has Try Again mode, which gives quad EXP/Gold (aka Retry mode in Lufia II). Unlocked by beating the game once, so it's only meant to be that way on the first playthrough.

I did a whole damn modded playthrough of Lufia 2 showcasing the restoration patch in retry mode and am over 10 eps deep in the restored version of Lufia 1 and I didn't know that >_< Thanks! I wish I knew lol

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #5641 on: March 11, 2019, 01:15:06 pm »
It has Try Again mode, which gives quad EXP/Gold (aka Retry mode in Lufia II). Unlocked by beating the game once, so it's only meant to be that way on the first playthrough.
What about unlocking that permanently?  I mean, I have a finished game, so I don't need it, but I'd imagine that new-comers might like that.

Maybe even change the text from "Try Again" to "Easy Mode" or something like that.

dartcron

• View Profile
« Reply #5642 on: March 14, 2019, 09:16:11 pm »
I recently hack my final fantasy 3 ROM, with ff6 title screen, equipable Umaro, rebalanced Morph and obtain general LEO and BANNON through obtaining the Imps Halberd and Armor which i renamed Eerie Sword and Eerie Staff.
I had this idea for a extra dungeon in final fantasy 3 where you would fight through several bosses from final fantasy 4 in a elite four boss gauntlet type, and that you would have a separate dungeon for final fantasy 5 boss gauntlet. One would give the player access to LEO and the other to BANNON, and maybe make there secondary ability customizable too, like LEO can choose bewteen Sword Tech, and Magitek, and Bannon can choose between Blitz and Lore by talking to their "ghost" at the end of the dungeon. Its just an idea..

Europia79

• View Profile
« Reply #5643 on: March 15, 2019, 03:00:16 pm »
I recently started watching the Classic Tetris World Championships on YouTube, and it gave me a few ideas for a "Tetris Pro" hack [..] an infinite score counter (where after breaking 999,999 the score goes to A00,000 indicating a million and keeps counting from there).

What about some kind of post-fix notation... Something like...
Code: [Select]
999,999.e+FFMIt's kinda similar to scientific notation except for some subtle differences. 
First, and most obvious is that the FF part would be a one byte hex value (so that we can count up to 255 instead of merely 99). 
Next, instead of declaring how many times you move the decimal point (like in scientific notation),
you denote how many times you move the decimal point SIX TIMES (hence the M suffix for mega or millions).

999,999.e+FFM translated would mean that you'd move the decimal point 1530 times (255*6).
It's not an "infinite score," but it is an obscenely large number.
The world record holder can hit max score in about 8 minutes...
So, it'd take him 204 hours (8.5 days) to reach the max score of 999,999.e+FFM.

Of course, what I am suggesting here is just a simple "infinite score" implementation.
If you add a second byte, then it'd take 5 years to complete !!!
I'm sure there are other creative solutions too.

Arty

• View Profile
« Reply #5644 on: March 15, 2019, 10:08:46 pm »
https://serenesforest.net/general/bs-fire-emblem/
So from what I've read, these were included as bonus maps in the DS remake. Porting them to the, in my opinion, superior Super Famicom version of the game as a bonus book or something would be really cool, and create a "definitive" version of the game.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: March 15, 2019, 10:29:35 pm »
https://serenesforest.net/general/bs-fire-emblem/
So from what I've read, these were included as bonus maps in the DS remake. Porting them to the, in my opinion, superior Super Famicom version of the game as a bonus book or something would be really cool, and create a "definitive" version of the game.
This is a satellaview game, and it looks like all four days have been dumped so you should just be able to run these in an emu.  Any recent one should work with the proper translated BIOS.  Translated scripts for these are here: https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/BS_Fire_Emblem:_Archanea_War_Chronicles#Archived_broadcast_content

As for porting them into a translation patched version of FE, it's most likely possible.  But it's probably more work than I'm thinking.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #5646 on: March 16, 2019, 12:14:23 am »
I don't see any hacks for Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia or Terranigma. There is a myriad of things in TCRF that could be added back in as well as balancing and quality of life hacks also. The Quintet Trilogy deserves more love <3

Petuuuhhh

• View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: March 16, 2019, 09:43:46 am »
Hi! I'm working on a Pokemon FireRed ROM hack, and I'm looking for spriters of fake Pokemon, called Fakemon. I'm looking for Fakemon in Gen 3-5 style and Gen 3 format. We have some material, but nothing significant.

Background Information:

Everything that can possibly be cleared is cleared. This includes:
-Items
-Attacks
-TM moves
-TM compatibility
-Move tutor moves
-Move tutor compatibility
-Pokemon
-Types
-Type effectiveness
-Dex entries
-Cries
-Footprints
-Icons
-Pokemon sprites
-Trainer sprites
-Overworld sprites
-Abilities
-Maps
-Learnsets
-Evolutions
-Egg moves
-Title screen
-Oak intro
THEN, we proceed to make a hack from the ground up.

Current Team Members

Petuuuhhh
Kartik
MysticCharizard
Smileycorp
luxintra
hjk321
Hani
Venia Silente
Zorua the Mage Knight

Tileset:

Indoor:

Outdoor:

Fakemon:

Character Sprites:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hO8_Qs2BGGRyjfVlHLFYFIjN3jIJIORG

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/531489656496193576/533244048643850250/Cos_OWs.zip

ROM Base and Changelog:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_qULQWuqhGkV8ppoODGWbap2H47F3ZHS

How to Apply:

Skill(s), Proof of Work, Past Experience, Contact Information, Time Zone, Discord Username and Four-Digit I.D.

or post in this thread: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=399515

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: March 16, 2019, 01:32:36 pm »
Graphics hack of All-Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. that converts enemy sprite graphics back into regular Mario enemies.

The purpose: The game has separate Mario and Luigi play mechanics from Lost Levels.  It's a slightly different way to play the original game, so I thought it'd be fun to have a version that removes the All-Night Nippon licensed imagery.

redmagejoe

• View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: March 17, 2019, 12:04:27 am »
Is there anyone capable of making these romhacks work properly with VBAGX / VBA-M? I'm quite fond of VBAGX, and would hate to have to switch to GNUBoy just for one game.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/175/

OR preferably

http://aderack.com/m2/

The first one is probably the easiest to fix, as it seems that the only real problem is black elements appearing as bright red. The second one looks quite nice, but suffers far too many graphical bugs to likely be worth anyone's time given that this is a request.

EDIT: I see some work has been done to this end, but I can't tell if a conclusion was ever reached beyond the last post, or if either patch is available in some form somewhere.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=15989.0

I've been testing mGBA, and while it works with DX (nice!) and it has vast performance advantage over VBAGX, it's still pre-1.0 and leaves a LOT to be desired from a User Interface standpoint. Also it has different but equally problematic graphical bugs with the EJRT hack, so maybe that one is doomed to never make it on real hardware.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4388/

This man is a champion! :thumbsup:

Has anyone given any thought to a Sword of Mana (GBA) hack that would allow one to achieve 100 Amigos in a non-traditional way? Obviously the easiest method would be a hack that allows you to just log 100 dummy Amigos when you choose the Communication option, but I'm sure there's more creative ways for a one to collect Amigos through a single-player experience.

It looks like Sword of Mana hasn't gotten much love at all on the site. I don't know if anyone is up to the task of trying to pick it apart when resources are scarce, but a couple ideas I had in mind while playing, I'll detail below.

The Amigo system requires connecting with another Sword of Mana cartridge via GBA Link, and only works once per unique file. Amigos, to my knowledge, only provide two benefits, and that's to use the once-per-game-day Amigo Whistle (which summons a rain of Amigos from the sky for a screenwide attack), and more importantly for completionists, the Seven Wisdoms. It is impossible to mark your game as 100% complete without collecting a whopping 100 Amigos! That means that on real hardware, you'd either have to link with 100 people, or have two GBAs, two Sword of Mana cartridges, a link cable, and patience to rival the gods, as you'd have to make a file, get through the 5-10 minutes of intro, link, delete the game file, rinse and repeat. I'm wondering if it would be possible to patch the Communication option in such a way that it could award, say, a randomly-generated Amigo (name, male/female, level are the only 3 parameters I can think of, though what bearing they have is beyond me and may in fact be meaningless) once per X amount of time or some other condition. More ambitiously, a way to acquire Amigos through in-game means might be interesting, but more difficult to implement. It at least feels less cheesy and more rewarding than just grabbing that 100 Amigos save off of GameFAQs.

The leveling of weapons and magic seems designed in ridiculous opposition to grinding, in spite of the fact that grinding is the core mechanic to level them. It requires 20 "hits" times the next level to reach said level. What this means is that to get any weapon or spirit from 0 to 99, you must land 99000 hits. And there's 8 weapons... and 8 spirits. There's a limit to how Korean of a grindfest your game can be, but this takes the cake. I basically went to Marsh Cave and switched to my second character so my main character spammed the bow on the spirit stone, and then left the game running for around 16 hours. That was just for one weapon, mind you. I'm sure that someone must have a better idea of grindy, yet reasonable numbers for weapon and magic progression. Be it lowering the 20 multiplier or (more complicated and potentially exacerbating the problem) basing the experience on the enemy you're hitting. For magic at least, even just making it so support magic counted towards level-ups would be miraculous.

Finally, with the "BLACK" status existing in the game for enemies you kill 1000 of, one could argue that a true complete file would have all 119 monsters BLACK. This isn't very feasible considering that, from my understanding at least, as many as two enemies are only accessible in an area that becomes permanently closed off as soon as you finish it. Take it from someone who spent 5 hours on a roadtrip grinding Skull Beasts in Vinquette Manor: That shit is unreasonable. Compound that with the fact that Zonbines only take damage from magic, which at this point you've just gotten your first spirit. So enjoy doing 6 damage with your Level 0 Fire Spirit and killing 1000 of these suckers. I have not played far enough into the game to see if there are other similarly missable enemies that you would have to grind as soon as you encounter them, but I figure the easiest way to at least address Vinquette Hall is to make the front gate still open at night even after the story takes you past it, with all doors being locked that lead to rooms without enemies in them. Conversely, if there's too many enemies throughout the game that suffer this problem, it might just be easier to distribute missable enemies in always-reachable areas.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 12:31:37 am by redmagejoe »

mikael43

• View Profile
« Reply #5650 on: March 17, 2019, 02:21:04 pm »
Hello lady que gentleman ,

Double dragon 2 Nes version USA restore the difficult version japanese ( continue illimited and true end diificult normal mode )

Thanks you vert much .

I am French sorry very Bad speake English.

itoikenza

• https://www.irccloud.com
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter!
« Reply #5651 on: March 17, 2019, 03:32:33 pm »
i wanna edit... the text of this lovely attack... i need the EN text table https://drive.google.com/file/d/127H1Y2tWL6-Rl0BL_hgTK41hOkXIoIsb/view?usp=drivesdk

Attack renamed to: Gurza Rocks

Attack description renamed to: Using the sigil of Evil, She inevitably turns you into..

Zimgief

• View Profile
« Reply #5652 on: March 17, 2019, 06:19:50 pm »
Gargoyle's Quest on GB is annoying for wrong reasons:
- slow message display
- fanfare after every random battle (then fanfare for vials gains).
Could these flaws easily be adressed? It would drastically improve the game, for not a lot of efforts I think?

papermanzero

• View Profile
« Reply #5653 on: March 18, 2019, 07:26:35 am »
Resident Evil Directors Cut Dual Shock Edition:
Remove Dual Shock Edition logo from Title Screen and remove the changed soundtrack with the original directors cut soundtrack.

Resident Evil 2:
Remove dual shock edition logo from title screen.

mariosmentor

• View Profile
« Reply #5654 on: March 18, 2019, 04:31:43 pm »
After watching a YouTube vid of Super SIG World (An SMW hack series spanning 30+ patches), I got inspired to make a hack of my own. There's one problem, though: I've never really played Super Mario World much before. Does this make me unqualified to make hacks for that game? Or, in other words, has there ever been a decent SMW hack where the creator wasn't really familiar with the game s/he's hacking?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5655 on: March 18, 2019, 05:55:51 pm »
I can't see a hack for a game the author is unfamiliar with turning out very well.

I think it not familiar with the original game, it would make it harder to just what is good and bad to do in a ROM hack.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

#

• View Profile
« Reply #5656 on: March 18, 2019, 06:18:36 pm »
After watching a YouTube vid of Super SIG World (An SMW hack series spanning 30+ patches), I got inspired to make a hack of my own. There's one problem, though: I've never really played Super Mario World much before. Does this make me unqualified to make hacks for that game? Or, in other words, has there ever been a decent SMW hack where the creator wasn't really familiar with the game s/he's hacking?
http://www.romhacking.net/games/714/

The game has a level editor(Lunar Magic), so you have a decent chance to make something nice. You can gradually get familiar with the game while testing your own creations. All you really need beforehand is a knack for level design.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: March 18, 2019, 09:18:05 pm »
Don't know if I have ever really pondered that fully before.

There have been many cases of hackers taking to a new game, figuring they don't like a mechanic and hacking it 6 ways from Sunday before they even did the first level (or section). Arguably they never then play the original game or something recognisable as it, and neither did many others if it was a fairly current release or leaked ahead of street.

Familiarity with the game...
I would not say you need to be 100% speedrun familiar with the concept, or able to recreate from memory, but a very solid grounding of the movement mechanics if you have any desire to explore that. Said explorations tending to be where the best hacks are made -- it is amusing to see Green hill zone from Sonic recreated in Mario but seldom makes for any kind of memorable play. Possible exception being for remix type things where the best of certain levels is set back to back in what might be known as a boss rush in other games.
You will definitely need to know the game if you are making some kind of hard mode hack where you remove any items or shortcuts might be used to using, and otherwise push obstacles to be less forgiving. That said as you have a nice graphical editor to play with then tweak, test, tweak, test... will get you results in timeframes most will be happy with, and serve to teach you what you might not know but somewhat need to.

There is also a fairly high barrier to entry in that there are a lot out there -- I love Zombies Ate My Neighbours but as there are very few hacks for it (though what there are tend to function as quasi sequels) I am not going to complain when the levels are not as tight as they could be. Mario Hacks at this point are second mostly to pokemon hacks in terms of things needed to impress me, though I will always look at gameplay rather than some kind of technical mastery.

You do also have the difficulty thing to contemplate -- some go for making levels the likes of things we will see in Super Meat Boy, others will aim for making something that feels empowering instead, or maybe allows for rhythm (not necessarily musical mario hack levels of rhythm but something closer to Sonic's general philosophies) rather than focusing on pixel perfect jumps and rote memorisation of hidden things.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #5658 on: March 19, 2019, 04:19:37 am »
It looks like Sword of Mana hasn't gotten much love at all on the site. I don't know if anyone is up to the task of trying to pick it apart when resources are scarce, but a couple ideas I had in mind while playing, I'll detail below.

The Amigo system requires connecting with another Sword of Mana cartridge via GBA Link, and only works once per unique file. Amigos, to my knowledge, only provide two benefits, and that's to use the once-per-game-day Amigo Whistle (which summons a rain of Amigos from the sky for a screenwide attack), and more importantly for completionists, the Seven Wisdoms. It is impossible to mark your game as 100% complete without collecting a whopping 100 Amigos! That means that on real hardware, you'd either have to link with 100 people, or have two GBAs, two Sword of Mana cartridges, a link cable, and patience to rival the gods, as you'd have to make a file, get through the 5-10 minutes of intro, link, delete the game file, rinse and repeat. I'm wondering if it would be possible to patch the Communication option in such a way that it could award, say, a randomly-generated Amigo (name, male/female, level are the only 3 parameters I can think of, though what bearing they have is beyond me and may in fact be meaningless) once per X amount of time or some other condition. More ambitiously, a way to acquire Amigos through in-game means might be interesting, but more difficult to implement. It at least feels less cheesy and more rewarding than just grabbing that 100 Amigos save off of GameFAQs.

The leveling of weapons and magic seems designed in ridiculous opposition to grinding, in spite of the fact that grinding is the core mechanic to level them. It requires 20 "hits" times the next level to reach said level. What this means is that to get any weapon or spirit from 0 to 99, you must land 99000 hits. And there's 8 weapons... and 8 spirits. There's a limit to how Korean of a grindfest your game can be, but this takes the cake. I basically went to Marsh Cave and switched to my second character so my main character spammed the bow on the spirit stone, and then left the game running for around 16 hours. That was just for one weapon, mind you. I'm sure that someone must have a better idea of grindy, yet reasonable numbers for weapon and magic progression. Be it lowering the 20 multiplier or (more complicated and potentially exacerbating the problem) basing the experience on the enemy you're hitting. For magic at least, even just making it so support magic counted towards level-ups would be miraculous.

Finally, with the "BLACK" status existing in the game for enemies you kill 1000 of, one could argue that a true complete file would have all 119 monsters BLACK. This isn't very feasible considering that, from my understanding at least, as many as two enemies are only accessible in an area that becomes permanently closed off as soon as you finish it. Take it from someone who spent 5 hours on a roadtrip grinding Skull Beasts in Vinquette Manor: That shit is unreasonable. Compound that with the fact that Zonbines only take damage from magic, which at this point you've just gotten your first spirit. So enjoy doing 6 damage with your Level 0 Fire Spirit and killing 1000 of these suckers. I have not played far enough into the game to see if there are other similarly missable enemies that you would have to grind as soon as you encounter them, but I figure the easiest way to at least address Vinquette Hall is to make the front gate still open at night even after the story takes you past it, with all doors being locked that lead to rooms without enemies in them. Conversely, if there's too many enemies throughout the game that suffer this problem, it might just be easier to distribute missable enemies in always-reachable areas.

Holy shit, THIS! It's actually really frustrating. Amigos locks you out of completing the Cactus' notebook and makes it impossible to access wisdom cards outside of cheating. Making the quest instantly completed upon talking to the quest giver and afterwards the quest giver selling the cards would solve this.

I'd also complain about the drop rate of some quest items being a bit on the low side and some quests being missable. Like fair enough for some but so many side quests are unnecessarily missable.

I second the notion of adding missable enemies to places so they are no longer missable. There are plenty of unused screens they could be placed in to make this an easy transition.

Lowering the activation of spirit required quests by 1 might help. As it is you play the whole game and then suddenly get your spirits from 1 or 2 to 8. Seems like such a waste.

Lastly, the classes. It would help to have a class changer or stat redistributor put in at Wendle so those who make a mistake can alter their states to be the class they wish. As it is, most classes, especially the pure classes never get used. Stat re-distribution would circumvent this.

jhorsfield30

• John @ Return learn gaming
    • View Profile
    • Return learn gaming
« Reply #5659 on: March 20, 2019, 12:55:59 pm »
I was thinking of Sprite Hacking Wai Wai World 1 to feature Bomb Jack/Jill instead of Konami man/girl.
Also is there an english translation of Mito koumon 1 + 2 yet?
John - Hearts Minds
@Heartsmindsmed
Researcher/writer/designer. Inspiring change through media, games (http://returnlearn.org.uk ), documentaries (HMM) and posters (http://retroreload.co.uk )to inspire