News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1431400 times)

treos

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5280 on: October 31, 2018, 01:37:14 pm »
huh, well there's an interesting idea... could someone make a romhack (or 3) to have X in the MMX games (at least 1-3) change his appearance like in MM11 based on which boss weapon is being used? you know, have his appearance take on more aspects of each boss than a mere palette swap.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: October 31, 2018, 02:21:07 pm »
It's probably also going to be A LOT more complicated than a palette swap as well.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: October 31, 2018, 05:04:54 pm »
huh, well there's an interesting idea... could someone make a romhack (or 3) to have X in the MMX games (at least 1-3) change his appearance like in MM11 based on which boss weapon is being used? you know, have his appearance take on more aspects of each boss than a mere palette swap.

This would take an asinine amount of work. The way the X games handle graphics is nowhere near as simple as other games so this would take a horrendous amount of work and ROM space. Even adding palettes is awful if you're adding a brand new one instead of overwriting.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

azul120

• View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: October 31, 2018, 08:41:32 pm »
Not sure if this has been entered in this thread, but an enemy party hack for the 3d remake of Final Fantasy III (DS, but hopefully also the other ports).

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: October 31, 2018, 09:13:52 pm »
On an MMX related note, I've been toying with the idea of stringing all the levels together into a Metroid style worldmap on both Mega Man 1 and Mega Man X, I'm not even remotely close to being able to hack SNES games though, so I don't know how doable that would be, required extensive level modification aside, of course.

It's also sorta awkward the way wall climbing works, If it were possible to just cling on and motor up or down the wall that would be cool.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| Nick Johnston - Remarkably Human || https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7W3JvZBJQ

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: November 01, 2018, 01:18:54 am »
Mortal Kombat Trilogy (N64):

Now that the 1995-05-13 prototype was dumped and released, it contains a playable MK3 Sub-zero and Kahn's Arnea (with a sweet easter egg), a ROM expansion to include them (as well with a BGM fix) in the final versions could be possible.

Oh heck YES! I'd want that done! I don't think adding in the PSX/Saturn/PC stuff not present in the N64 version is possible without fixing the sprites too.

I don't know if anyone suggested or has considered a title screen hack of Bare Knuckle III just so it says Streets of Rage 3 to go along with the translation on this site in English.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: November 01, 2018, 05:58:09 am »
For Super Mario Bros., randomize which castle the Princess is in. This randomization process would be done in-game if possible, maybe on the edition with Duck Hunt/World Class Track Meet. We select which world to start from the title screen, a feature that already exists from game completion. If Toad is rescued, we return to the title screen to select another world. If the Princess is found, her location will be randomized again and we return to the title screen to look for her again.

jimstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: November 01, 2018, 10:28:10 am »
Some hack suggestions:

Nightmare on Elm Street (NES)

There is plenty of hacks of Friday the 13th, but i could not found a single one of Nightmare on Elm Street.

Some sprite editing to make the enemies a bit more threatening than halloween style ghosts would be nice, and maybe make Freddy a bit harder if possible.

Goonies 2 (NES)

The script is a little stilted and some hints are very vague, so a rewriting of the text to be a bit more natural would be nice.

Ducktales 1 & 2 NES -

Give Scrooge Mcduck and the beagle boys their cartoon color scheme.

Ducktales 2 NES -

Fix the diaglogue so Gyro and launchpad call Scrooge mr . Mcduck or Mr- Mc-D like the original.

Bionic Commando NES -

The no censorship hack is awesome, so now the only thing bugging me is that the Nazi's are wearing neon pink uniforms, a fix to give them grey, black or brown uniforms would improve.

Robocop NES -

a simple palette hack to make Murphy grey instead of blue.

Godzilla NES -

if someone could get rid of that stupid time limit, this game would be much better.

Castlevania 3 NES -

A sprite edit of Trevor to make him look a bit more like his PS2 Appearance

The Adventures of Bayou Billy NES -

I really like the mad city version with it's much easier difficulty, but i miss the sound effects and the graphics from the american version, so a simple difficult hack to the american version would be superb.

Back to the future NES -

Well it will still not be a better game, but the music in game is the power of love sped up to unrecognisable. A slow down of the music, and a simple sprite hack to make the ingame person look more like Marty, and it would atleast look a bit more like Back to the future.

partly Fixed - pacnsacdave made a hack http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2638/

Double Dragon 1-3 NES

A simple change of Billy and Jimmy's hair just to make them more accurate.

Super Mario World - SNES

With all of the Super Mario World hacks, i am surprised to see that no one has atempted to restore the Koopalings to their super mario bros 3 colors.

Wizards and Warriors 1-3 NES

I have always wondered why the in game sprite of Kuros look nothing like the artwork, don't know if it can be done, but a sprite hack of Kuros to make him look more conanesque like the artwork would be cool.

Also fixing the horrible hit detection in Wizards & Warrirors 2 would improve that game a lot.

Battle Toads NES -

Just a simple shades and Gloves hack to Different between Zits and Rash.

Toki NES -

Change the sprite of Toki to look more like the Arcade version

Star Tropics 2: Zoda's Revenge

I would like to see a graphical overhaul of Star Tropics 2: Zoda's Revenge.

When the precursor game looks better, you have done something wrong.

Top Gear SNES

I was watching Top Gear, and thought that now when the original trio is no longer on the show, how about a hack of the Top Gear game?

Some things that can be changed is:

Exchange the Title Music to a arranged version of Jessica.

Exhange the racer character to the Stig and one of his cousins as player 2

Change the speech bubbles to quotes from the show like "Oh Cock" "How hard could it be?" and "Pooooweeeer!"

The Legend of Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link

After i've been trying Killerbob's awesome Loz Relocalized hack, i've would really like a relocalization of Legend of Zelda 2 as well, making the script a bit less stilted and more natural, and once for all solve the mystery of Bug & Error which got lost in the original localization.

Final Fantasy II NES

Final Fantasy II NES - Give Firion an 8-bit version of his Final Fantasy Origins sprite, and also make his portrait match that sprite.

Ghosts N Goblins NES

Since i'm a bit alergic to engrish, i would love to have a hack for Ghosts N' Goblins for NES to rewrite the bad engrish in the game.

Partly Fixed - Ghosts 'n Goblins Proofread by Mister Xiado. take care of the Engrish

If it also could be combined with WolfTeam22 Makai-Mura AC - (Arcade Conversion) hack it would be super. By the way implement atleast some continues to this version, the NES version was brutal but atleast you could practice, The Arcade conversion is so brutal you wont see it coming.

Thats all of my hack ideas.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 10:01:58 pm by jimstrom »

SoraofPen

• View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: November 02, 2018, 02:51:10 pm »
A simple concept: a Super Metroid hack that places Samus in Dracula's Castle from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. All equivalent items in Super Metroid are placed in the locations of their SotN counterparts and any items that have no equivalent in SotN are placed where they can be utilized as early as possible. It should have both the normal Castle and the inverted Castle. The shop in the Library should become the map station. Ridley should replace the Richter/Shaft fight. There should be an escape sequence from Dracula's Castle after the Mother Brain fight (escape the inverted castle and make it out of the normal castle onto Samus's Ship).

The main reason I want this is so I can shinespark around Dracula's Castle, but I also think it has some merit for speedrunners who like both Super Metroid and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. How cool would it be to find Crocomire in Dracula's Basement? Kraid just before the Clock Tower? Etc.

This would also be a great example of a world not meant for the character you're playing as. I wouldn't mind some kind of vice versa with Alucard running around Zebes, but that would probably be harder to make.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: November 03, 2018, 09:24:34 am »
I want to see a hack for Castlevania Chronicles that will restore the original sprites for Simon & Dracula for Arrange Mode, including restore the missing Japanese speech that the doll enemies uses as well.

I also want to see a English hack for Beavis & Butt-head: Virtual Aho Shoukougun for the PSX as well.

Q

• Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: November 03, 2018, 09:57:02 am »
I recently found out that Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre were re-released for the Sega Saturn (in Japan only), and the re-releases featured enhanced music. I'd love to see MSU1 music hacks of FinS's translation of the Nintendo Power version of Ogre Battle and the Aeon Genesis translation of Tactics Ogre, so that both of these games can be played on SNES with the enhanced Sega Saturn music.
Sneko, the Super Nintendo Entertainment Kitty, wishes you luck.

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: November 03, 2018, 10:36:04 am »
I recently found out that Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre were re-released for the Sega Saturn (in Japan only), and the re-releases featured enhanced music.
Are they different than the PSX versions?

If not, are there reasons to prefer the SNES versions over the PSX ones?
There has to be a better life.

Q

• Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: November 03, 2018, 10:51:13 am »
Are they different than the PSX versions?

I'm pretty sure the PSX versions use the same music as the SNES versions. The Sega Saturn versions also have voice acting, but it's in Japanese, so it isn't necessarily that much of an improvement for English-speaking players.

If not, are there reasons to prefer the SNES versions over the PSX ones?

It's been a while since I've played the PSX versions, but I'm pretty sure they have lots of load time that isn't present in the SNES versions. My guess is the Saturn versions do too, since the Saturn is CD-based. That's why I think the ideal way to play is probably the SNES versions with the enhanced music added.

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: November 03, 2018, 11:33:43 am »
Well, I just tried both Ogre Battle (The March...):

1. PSX takes 1 or 2 seconds to load the map or battle the first time they appear, not really "lots of load time" for me.
2. Graphics are so much better on the PSX version that when you go back to the SNES it almost feels like an NES game. Prettier, more detailed, colorful and higher res.

3. Sequenced music tracks are the same, but the samples used for them are different and the PSX versions sound a million times better.

If I were to play this game, I'd pick the PSX version without a doubt.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:45:32 pm by mz »

Q

• Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: November 03, 2018, 11:43:40 am »
What about loading a save game or during the transition to a fight between units? The latter one is probably what I'd find most annoying.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #5295 on: November 03, 2018, 12:35:20 pm »
Some hack suggestions:

The Legend of Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link

After i've been trying Killerbob's awesome Loz Relocalized hack, i've would really like a relocalization of Legend of Zelda 2 as well, making the script a bit less stilted and more natural, and once for all solve the mystery of Bug & Error which got lost in the original localization.
I'm working on a hack called Zelda 2 Redux, and one of its main goals is a complete rewrite of the script to be more helpful and not as robotic.

It's still WIP, but its close to being finished! Look for it in the Personal Projects section.

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: November 03, 2018, 12:39:48 pm »
What about loading a save game or during the transition to a fight between units? The latter one is probably what I'd find most annoying.
Ah, I'm sorry, I didn't test those (nor I feel like testing these games again :P).

In any case, if you've been playing many PSX games like me, I'm sure you're used to much worse load times, so I guess it depends on how high is your tolerance level. (I've just finished playing Medarot R which has an excessive amount of random battles with *very* long load times each. Fortunately, you can just fast forward all this stuff nowadays as long as you don't mind not playing in real hardware...)

Q

• Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: November 03, 2018, 12:52:26 pm »
@mz: I just looked at a YouTube video, and it looks like there's a really obnoxiously long load time every single time one of your units clashes with an enemy in the PSX version. Considering I could just play the SNES version with no load times, I would find this unbearable. If you use Google, you can find other people complaining about the load times, so clearly I'm not the only one bothered by it.

I think you're kind of exaggerating how much better the PSX version looks. Overall, it probably looks better, but honestly not by that much—and I actually dislike the PSX version's font. Even if the graphics look a little better, they don't make up for the load times, especially if someone did an enhanced music hack for the SNES version. Obviously it's totally fine if you prefer the PSX version, but it's not for me.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 01:16:17 pm by Q »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: November 03, 2018, 12:58:44 pm »
Well, I just tried both Ogre Battle (The March...):

1. PSX takes 1 or 2 seconds to load the map or battle the first time they appear, not really "lots of load time" for me.
2. Graphics are so much better on the PSX version that when you go back to the SNES it almost feels like an NES game. Prettier, more detailed, colorful and higher res.

3. Sequenced music tracks are the same, but the samples used for them are different and the PSX versions sound a million times better.

If I were to play this game, I'd pick the PSX version without a doubt.

I'm not seeing a huge difference. That overworld screen looks stretched in the PS version, which is probably a downgrade. :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: November 03, 2018, 01:07:17 pm »
Obviously it's totally fine if you prefer the PSX version, but it's not for me.
Sure, I was just telling you my impressions. I know for a fact that most people can't stand even just an extra millisecond of loading time or don't like having to use a fast-forward button every few seconds.

I personally think the graphics alone are reason enough to prefer the PSX version (the much better music being a big plus), but I agree that the all-caps font is a terrible idea (the SNES font looks much uglier, though).

I'm not seeing a huge difference. That overworld screen looks stretched in the PS version, which is probably a downgrade. :P
It's hard to tell the difference in those small screenshots, but in full screen it's certainly noticeable.

The overworld screen isn't stretched, it's drawn in the correct aspect ratio (the sprites, I mean; the map seems to use the same poor resolution as the original, but appears smoother due to not being in the mode 7's blocky hell and using a higher rendering resolution). The SNES is the one that gets stretched when you play it on a real 4:3 TV.