News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 953113 times)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5020 on: July 22, 2018, 08:37:40 am »
Is it possible to restore the color palettes of the Game Boy Color port of Donkey Kong Country, just like the way people here had restores color palettes in GBA games?

:huh:

I presume you mean patches like this:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4051/

The SNES and GBA have similar colour capabilities - in fact the GBA can use even more colours - but the GBC, despite having the same amount of colours to choose from, can't display enough colours to make it look like the SNES. Also, the GBA "restorations" are modifying existing GBA games, whereas the first two DKL games were not GBC. Of course people have made DX versions of GB games, so it's certainly possible to do it with DKL.

So, in summary, it wouldn't be easy, but it would be possible.

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: July 22, 2018, 08:38:00 pm »
For clarity, there IS a port of Donkey Kong Country for the Gameboy Color, but it's literally the worst version of the game.

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: July 23, 2018, 06:12:10 am »
CRYSTALIS (NES)

- Slower speed for the main character. He moves so fast.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: July 23, 2018, 06:49:49 am »
Don't know how I missed that game but looking at a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DWu_BVeg5E

The character seems to move fast enough to be useful in the game dodging enemies and seems to be able to go in doors and such happily enough, and is about in line with a variety of other NES offerings. I did not watch far enough to see if there is some kind of precise movement puzzle but looking at the town movement it would need to be something very tricky indeed.

Sometimes a camera ( https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iNSQIyNpVGHeak6isbP6AHdHD50gs8MNXF1GCf08efg/pub?embedded=true ) might instead be the problem but that one appears workable enough. If someone added an accelerate type function to do slow movement before reaching full speed that might help you but would probably frustrate dodging.

I will give that I have not played it yet but the player of the video above was playing like a normal person (no kind of uber speedrun/finger over savestate type play) with no other indicators of dodgy controls (a classic one being some kind of pulsed/PWM movement of the controller/stick). Equally I doubt it will be one of those games I point at and say "this" for good controls but they otherwise seem functional enough and the level design matches from what I have seen.

It is a viable enough hack (find out the OAM handler for it and work backwards), however just the same as many emulators offer speed up then several also offer slow down so that might be an option here.

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: July 23, 2018, 11:03:53 am »
Thank you for your reply, I enjoyed reading that article about videogame's cameras. I saw that gameplay too and it seems a little slow in comparison with an emulator. I think you should play the game to see how the character moves fast. You can easily dodge enemies thanks to the extremely character's speed. I recommend you give a try to the game to see it for yourself and for enjoying a great retro rpg.

Edit. https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1089/ This user got reducing enemies speed. Maybe can be a reference for someone with skills who wants to hack the movements of the main character.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 11:45:15 am by mamertos »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #5025 on: July 23, 2018, 10:29:19 pm »
Dragon Force (SAT) - Improvement Hack
-Less trial & error or the ability to save normally during the world map phase (the game automatically sends your 8 force generals to the final battle after gathering them at Bloodly castle - if your force generals die during it it's also game over without a proper warning, need to equip the dragon sword in the domestic phase before attacking the robot for the second time or you'll get a game over (your main general is wielding it in the cutscene before the fight), part of the shrine puzzle (some of the clues don't make sense), Junon vs. Wein surprise battle, surprise attack at Shadow Tower, surprise attack by Goldark after uniting the world, hidden defense stat, hidden escape stat - chance to escape without being captured or killed (much higher for dragon force members and 100% for your main char)),

-Removed or shown time limit in the battle preparation phase (currently hidden)
-The Skull Children either don't stop spawning during the shrine quest or you get a warning that they'll stop (to avoid the sudden difficulty spike here)
-Can choose to duel before wasting all your troops in a battle if the enemy force is wiped out
-Can choose to dismiss generals and to not recruit the ones you find via searching
-Faster movement on the map screen
-"Search all available" option
-Shown loyalty stat or the option to speak only with/highlight only angry generals in the domestic phase
-Fixed regrouping (will only bunch units together on the vertical plane so they can end up in a long straight line fairly easily)
-Faster troop transfer/recruitment and the ability to join or split smaller armies together outside of castles
-Full general info shown in the equip item menu and other incomplete menus
-No more repeated tutorial messages
-Faster healing of generals in castles
-Menus wrap around
-Faster/more consistent menu transition speeds and speeding up of text
-If you encounter an enemy between locations and it flees then your army/party no longer retreats as well
-End turn command with yes/no prompt
-Option to speed up or skip special attack animations
-Unit AI fixes (they will sometimes attack lone enemies one at a time instead of encircling them which is quite wasteful, sometimes if you use the melee command  your units will end up circling in front of the enemy general with a few enemy ranged units to either side of them, sometimes enemy units will just stand around while their general is killed)

-If a general is angry they can't still leave after being given a reward or consumable item
-Better item quality scaling in the late game so you find less crap items to sort through / or ability to throw away items
-Goldark's final assault happens sooner if you unite the world sooner and other late game events happen more often
-Faster final battle against the robot and harder final boss
-Slower moving (or a delay before they start moving) randomly spawning armies so you have more time to react (Dragon attacks before the final battle, Skull Children)

-Less overpowered first strike exploit (standby command)
-Smaller penalty for failing at diplomacy (leader won't lose all of their troops - maybe tied to a stat like Int?)
-More helpful comments by captives when they refuse to join you
-Revival magic is more expensive or weaker
-Samurai are less overpowered vs. dragons
-Archers and mages are bad rather than very bad vs. dragons
-The fortification command can't fail
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 09:34:57 am by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #5026 on: July 24, 2018, 04:27:44 am »
Improve the MegaMari NES hack: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1127/
to make all tracks chiptune version of music from the actual MegaMari game
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

papermanzero

• View Profile
« Reply #5027 on: July 24, 2018, 05:47:57 pm »
A translation of puyo puyo 1 and 2 on the mega drive would be cool. Also an update of mystery dungeon for the snes.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #5028 on: July 24, 2018, 11:44:27 pm »
Implement the feature in Animal Crossing that slows down or speeds up the NES emulation depending on how much the C-Stick is pressed that already exists in mode 2 of its debug mode. There's the very recent discovery of an unused feature of an empty NES to play any NES game via memory card. The program to create a save data with a rom of your choice can be downloaded here.

Binarynova

• View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: July 25, 2018, 10:55:20 am »
It'd be nice to add a feature to the original Dragon Warrior that awards you some percentage (say 50%) of the Gold and EXP you would get from a monster when it runs away.

onetimeuse

• View Profile
« Reply #5030 on: July 25, 2018, 06:02:23 pm »
requests if anyone cares ( there basically just changing the main player sprite )

megaman x :

*simple change megaman to green and make sting chameleon power to some other color don't care

*found megaman t i think it was and it was basically megaman without his helment or it was a female megaman with no helment ether way wouldn't mind that as a hack

*play as those enemies who jumps in the mech suits

megaman x2 :

*play as green biker dude from the start of the game

last thing i did make a topic of this idk if it went through but now noticed you post requests here so yea sorry

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5031 on: July 26, 2018, 03:41:44 am »
It'd be nice to add a feature to the original Dragon Warrior that awards you some percentage (say 50%) of the Gold and EXP you would get from a monster when it runs away.

But when you get to the point that an enemy runs away from you, the EXP and Gold they would give you is barely worth anything to you. If anything, a better hack would be to stop the fight from occurring in the first place, to save you time. :)

JJohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #5032 on: July 28, 2018, 12:19:05 am »
I have no talent in programming, but I have a few good ideas/requests:

1. Jeopardy 25th Anniversary Edition: Hack to add new questions/answers into this old NES game
2. Wheel of Fortune: Hack to add new puzzles into this old game
3. Mega Man: Add Oil Man and Time Man into Mega Man 1, with no other changes
4. Mega Man 9 and 10 as NES ROMs
5. Mega Man Ultimate: All boss levels from MM 1-6 with all the powers (slide, power up megabuster, etc) and Rush modes available; if possible, add 8-way weapon firing for all weapons, not just metal man's weapon.  And special mode to halve enemy weapon strength and double mega buster strength.
6. Megaman X 1-4: as NES ROMs
7. Super Mario Land 2: colorized as an NES ROM
8. GB Megaman games colorized and as NES ROMs
9. SMB with Mario 2, Mario 3, Mario Land 2 graphics
10. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening as an NES ROM
11. Legend of Zelda, Zelda II, and Link's Awakening with SNES graphics
12. Megaman 1-6, 9, 10 with SNES graphics
13. Donkey Kong Land games as NES ROMs
14. Metroid II colorized as an NES ROM
15. Tecmo (Super) Bowl: hack to add the 2018 teams and players, like the Jaguars
16. Megaman X (any), Mario RPG, Link to the Past, Mario All Stars, Super Metroid on Genesis
17. Megaman 1-6, 9, 10; Metroid; Zelda 1/2, SMB 1, 2, 3 on Master System
18. Castlevania 1, 2, 3: hack to add 8-way whip attack like on SNES
19. Castlevania 1, 2, 3: SNES rom version
20. Pokemon red, blue, yellow as NES Roms in color
21. Sonic from Master System in NES, SNES, Genesis ROMs
22. Sonic from Genesis on SNES ROMs
23. Blaster Master 2 on SNES

I have an NES Classic, and SNES classic, and will be getting the Genesis classic soon.  That's why I posted this. If anyone has the time/interest to do any of these, I'd be very appreciative.  The first two should be the easiest.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 01:28:52 am by JJohnson »

zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #5033 on: July 28, 2018, 03:23:34 pm »
I have no talent in programming, but I have a few good ideas/requests:

1. Jeopardy 25th Anniversary Edition: Hack to add new questions/answers into this old NES game
2. Wheel of Fortune: Hack to add new puzzles into this old game
3. Mega Man: Add Oil Man and Time Man into Mega Man 1, with no other changes
4. Mega Man 9 and 10 as NES ROMs
5. Mega Man Ultimate: All boss levels from MM 1-6 with all the powers (slide, power up megabuster, etc) and Rush modes available; if possible, add 8-way weapon firing for all weapons, not just metal man's weapon.  And special mode to halve enemy weapon strength and double mega buster strength.
9. SMB with Mario 2, Mario 3, Mario Land 2 graphics
11. Legend of Zelda, Zelda II, and Link's Awakening with SNES graphics
13. Donkey Kong Land games as NES ROMs
15. Tecmo (Super) Bowl: hack to add the 2018 teams and players, like the Jaguars
16. Megaman X (any), Mario RPG, Link to the Past, Mario All Stars, Super Metroid on Genesis
17. Megaman 1-6, 9, 10; Metroid; Zelda 1/2, SMB 1, 2, 3 on Master System
18. Castlevania 1, 2, 3: hack to add 8-way whip attack like on SNES
19. Castlevania 1, 2, 3: SNES rom version
20. Pokemon red, blue, yellow as NES Roms in color
21. Sonic from Master System in NES, SNES, Genesis ROMs
22. Sonic from Genesis on SNES ROMs
23. Blaster Master 2 on SNES

I have an NES Classic, and SNES classic, and will be getting the Genesis classic soon.  That's why I posted this. If anyone has the time/interest to do any of these, I'd be very appreciative.  The first two should be the easiest.

9.  SMB with graphics from later games has been done many times

11. Check out BS Zelda for a 16 bit Zelda 1 experience

12. Not SNES, but MegaMan 1-3 have 16 bit versions on Genesis/MD

13. There are pirate Donkey Kong country NES games, not very good though

15. Tecmo Bowl has plenty of roster based hacks

16. There is a pirate MegaMan X3

17. Super Mario Bros is on Sega Genesis/MD, that's as close as you're going to get

20. There's already a decent Yellow pirate that has been further enhanced and translated on the NES

21. There's already a Sonic pirate on the NES

Sgt Jack V

• View Profile
« Reply #5034 on: July 28, 2018, 05:31:30 pm »
Alright, alright. I apologize for the necroquote, but there are some itches I have to scratch.

-Universal Soldier (Genesis): This game is really a horrible mutilation of the classic game Turrican 2, is it possible to rip out the Turrican sprite from Turrican or Mega Turrican and put it in this game in place of the generic soldier guy?
Well, first of all, that isn't really a "generic soldier guy", but Jean Claude Van Damme's character in the film this game is based on.

-Super Mario All Stars (SNES): If anyone plays Lost Levels or Super Mario Bros, they will notice that Mario and Luigi's shirts and overalls have switched colors (mario has a blue shirt and red overalls and luigi has a blue shirt and green overalls) anyone want to modify their sprits to have red shirt/blue overalls, green shirt/blue overalls like they have in later games?
I'm questioning why you would want to, really. If they have their modern colors, then I think it's pretty inaccurate for the time period those games were originally released in. It's like asking for Sonic 1 to be hacked to have Modern Sonic.
Call me Nate because I can't manually change my username and there isn't a thread specifically for that.

Ligeia

• View Profile
« Reply #5035 on: July 28, 2018, 06:35:45 pm »
11. Zelda II, and Link's Awakening with SNES graphics

I like these ideas !

lilbud

• View Profile
« Reply #5036 on: July 28, 2018, 09:30:25 pm »
Majoras Mask rom hack to remove the time limit and make the game more like OoT.

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #5037 on: July 29, 2018, 06:01:59 am »
- MEGA MAN X2 (SNES): remove the ugly shaking effect on Mega Man in Wheel Gator's stage. How should be: https://youtu.be/2k2tnn-Eoec

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #5038 on: July 29, 2018, 07:21:48 am »
i can think of 2 hacks for a game that would be super rad

autoboot hacks for Dragon Warrior 1 & 2 on the GameBoy, so in emulators you could have the games listed separate

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #5039 on: July 30, 2018, 12:33:58 pm »
Speaking of X games, I wouldn't mind playing a Megaman X 1-3 playable Iris version one day.

July 30, 2018, 02:13:22 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
One other thing I wouldn't mind is trying to start some new Sailor Moon SNES translation project not done (kinda like Dynamic Designs did with their Sailor Moon Super S game). I mean I can try to do one of them, but the only thing I'm good at is writing (or rewriting some bad) dialogues simply using notepad (I stink at Hex Editors) while trying to translate what the text say. And honestly, I wish I could get some people to help me with the translations.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 02:13:59 pm by julayla »