News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 955687 times)

shadow501

• Pro Hex Editor
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4980 on: June 27, 2018, 02:19:11 pm »
Does anyone know where can I find A-Colour - RGB to Hex (Revised Edition) tool ? because I tired to find it  :banghead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3QFvPiSXME

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: June 28, 2018, 06:25:43 am »
2 crazy ideas :D for small improvement

battletoas

add missing sprite glasses to Rash, to differentiate and have more detail from the toads, add Zitz color as in the Battletoads & Double Dragon

Bare Knucles III / SoR 3

Change full sprite or just the head of old ugly Zan for a new cool body skin cyborg patlabor skin type sprite, which fits perfectly with the aesthetics Sci-fi of the game of enemies robots bosses

WandererLapine

• View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: June 28, 2018, 01:10:27 pm »
Hi there. little crazy but i had a couple ideas for romhacks, these Flash since are based on two Mario Flash Games, since Flash support ends in 2020. I got inspired to post after seeing a romhack of Super Mario Bros.3 which had the other 4 games in its library.

One was for Mario The Star Catcher, a puzzle game where you collect stars, dodging obstacles as you do so.

The next was Super Mario Crossover: Super Mario Bros. 1 but with multiple characters like Mega Man, Bill Rizer, Link, and etc.

I cannot program for the life of me and my technical knowledge is incredibly limited, and i don't know if this  would even be possible, but i figured i'd let the idea out there since these are interesting games and its a shame they're limited to Flash

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: June 28, 2018, 09:45:40 pm »
Idk if this has been done before, but I would love if there was a full ROMhack recreation of the canceled Philips CDi game Super Mario's Wacky Worlds, but on Super Mario World.

I would love to see those WIP backgrounds recreated in the game.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #4984 on: June 30, 2018, 06:15:20 pm »
This is a big thing to pull off, but I think it'd be really cool to have a more traditional real-time battle system (=Zelda style) implemented in For the Frog the Bell Tolls.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #4985 on: July 02, 2018, 10:50:32 pm »
Something I forgot about, but it would be nice if someone took PS1's Ghaleon from Lunar english dub into the PSP version because that version of Ghaleon was honestly pathetic and really ruined his character.

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: July 03, 2018, 02:37:14 pm »
a graphic hack for Contra Force spin-off of NES :thumbsup:

Probotector Force hack of Contra Force

change all the sprites for the European robot versions, you can choose 4 robots, the robotic sprites can be obtained from Probotector I and II

regards :woot!:

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: July 03, 2018, 09:39:11 pm »
a graphic hack for Contra Force spin-off of NES :thumbsup:

Probotector Force hack of Contra Force

change all the sprites for the European robot versions, you can choose 4 robots, the robotic sprites can be obtained from Probotector I and II

regards :woot!:

THIS. Also make a Probotector using the Japanese ROM of Contra.

Editing the Helicopter like the futuristic jet the game had in Europe.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 10:13:31 am by RealGaea »

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: July 05, 2018, 04:03:20 am »
I want to see hacks for Fire Pro Wrestling D, Z & Returns that will give you the ability to edit all four costumes of a default wrestler instead of just one.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: July 05, 2018, 11:51:10 am »
Vanya is working on a fangame that's going to be a 8-bit demake of Powered Up.
Romhack or PC game?

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: July 05, 2018, 12:01:53 pm »
It's a PC game.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #4991 on: July 07, 2018, 12:21:55 am »
I great idea for a hack would to be to circumvent the Amigos in Sword of Mana on Gameboy Advance so you can complete all the quests in the game. As is, you cannot complete quest 41 as it requires showing an Chekov a summon card only acquirable via registering friend to your game.

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: July 08, 2018, 04:04:56 pm »
Donkey Kong 94 - Emulation Friendly Edition!

Here's a hack idea I've wanted for a while.  You know how Pauline screams "HELP!" when played on Super Gameboy?  Well, it doesn't work when you play the game in SGB mode on the Retron5.  So my proposal is to restore the proper Gameboy sound effects to the game when played in Super Gameboy mode.

The end credits are also produced by the SNES sound chip and are absent when played in emulation.  Restoration  of the 8-bit Gameboy music would remedy this issue.

July 08, 2018, 05:10:13 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - Force TV Color Mode

Aggravatingly enough, I had this patch at one time, and now I can't find it anymore.  It's a simple hack.  Simply force the game into TV Color Mode upon boot-up.  The default is rather ugly when viewed on anything other than the original GBA screen.  I'd do it myself, but I don't quite know how to yet.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 05:10:13 pm by Animation Guru »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: July 08, 2018, 05:22:56 pm »
FFTA should be fairly simple. I can't recall the colour selection screen for this offhand but if it is like the others then it updates in real time. That said I am now debating whether this is one of the few to use the GBP detection for something "positive".

Anyway if it is just a selection switch in the menu you can find it as per standard cheat finding method (do cheat search, change mode, do cheat search looking for any changes, change mode, cheat search again for any changes... eventually it will narrow itself down. It will then be a memory value you can mod as a cheat, and possibly inject with GBAATM or something. That will then be there from boot. Not the most elegant implementation but it will get the job done just fine and should cause no great issues for anything (and if it does for some random hack then just apply the patch you want first and then add the cheat with GBAATM. Were I to change the habit of a lifetime and not be a cowboy for once I would look to see where the code that modifies the palette (it tends to be a mathematical thing rather than multiple palettes in a ROM, not that such a thing is all that much different) and force its check to always return the GBP mode, not a hard assembly hack as these things go (it will probably just be a single instruction overwrite) but still an assembly hack.

If it is a "proper" detection thing (which will also be there from boot) that might be slightly harder as a new hacker. https://www.caitsith2.com/gba_video_arv3.htm covers a bit of it for the GBA videos.

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: July 09, 2018, 03:39:03 am »
I've thought about seeking it out with a code generator.  I know you can turn Gameshark codes into permanent rom hacks.  I may try that.

As for the Gameboy Player, I don't believe that Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is programmed to detect it.  In fact, you have to switch the color mode manually every time it boots up.  It's not a huge deal, but I like streamlining.

I don't know.  If I figure out how to make such a patch, I'll post it.  But if anyone reading this wants to give it a try in the meantime, by all means.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4995 on: July 09, 2018, 04:15:07 am »
Food for thought: if FFTA has a TV colours mode, would it be feasible to have a general way of doing it for any GBA game, or is it going to be specific to every game? It'd certainly be cool to be able to easily modify every game to have good-looking colours.

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: July 09, 2018, 04:30:16 am »
It's specifically programmed into the game.  Most GBA games don't do this.  I'd love to have Golden Sun with sensible colors, but you'd have to redo the palette for the entire game.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: July 09, 2018, 08:10:54 am »
Yeah not many games have options like this. Another I like to play with and use as an example is the Summon Night Swordcraft Story (not sure if 3 has such things offhand but given it is present in earlier efforts I would not be surprised).

With that said the GBA palette is mathematically generated (mostly BGR) and readily changed in software. http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#lcdcolorpalettes

To that end I imagine you could do some kind of game wide* channel level colour correction or wholesale levels adjustment by sticking something to rewrite everything** in a vblank or other interrupt (done in an automated fashion for many things ranging from the cheat injectors like GBAATM and GABSharky as well as soft rest things like BOMA).

*might even be able to add some basic logic to check if a given colour is there and then not touch that palette.

**plenty of games already do palette animations. I tend to suggest the rainbow blocks in mr driller 2 as a pretty clear cut example, though the summon night games also provide a nice example with their save swords.

Suggesting this likely means I am hitting new lows and am way beyond even my usual "bodge it and scarper" approach but as far as technically feasible goes I would say it is, and only the rather limited (and usually fairly full already) processing window of the first choice interrupts ( http://www.coranac.com/tonc/text/video.htm ) and likely fairly intense processing required (not like the GBA has much in the way of matrix maths or SIMD support) to effect a palette wide change, especially if you have some kind of bitwise maths necessary, gives me any pause.

Conventional palette editing ( https://www.romhacking.net/documents/331/ for a basic introduction) is still by far a better method to employ but as the question was asked...

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #4998 on: July 09, 2018, 09:02:54 am »
This must have been asked before, but the world needs to replay Star Fox SNES. It's difficult to do that. I loved the game, but the tech hasn't aged well. Can't we:

- Make an emulator that runs the game at 60 fps.
- In HD.
- Hack the game so that it doesn't break when run like that.

?

edit: I found this. I guess I gotta read up on it. http://romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=14298.msg233507#msg233507
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:12:03 am by nesrocks »

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4999 on: July 09, 2018, 09:26:42 am »
Star Fox SNES
- Make an emulator that runs the game at 60 fps.
- In HD.
- Hack the game so that it doesn't break when run like that.

You know, after Outrun Cannonball, I was thinking the same thing, and Star Fox was the first game that sprang to mind, though of course there are plenty of others that would really benefit from a 60fps HD upgrade.

For reference:
https://github.com/djyt/cannonball/wiki