News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 917886 times)

thepatrickinator

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4920 on: June 02, 2018, 04:05:07 pm »
If you guys are wondering about ponified versions of Made in Japan video games, you're obviously doing a My Little Pony twist to a 8-bit or 16-bit video game that had an international release but was originally released in Japan. Obviously, you are replacing old school video games with My Little Pony characters. I'd suggest you don't do it with fighting games though.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #4921 on: June 02, 2018, 05:42:14 pm »
Lol, the poison mushroom hack in SMB1 is listed as "an improvement" to the game.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: June 03, 2018, 03:26:57 pm »
If you guys are wondering about ponified versions of Made in Japan video games, you're obviously doing a My Little Pony twist to a 8-bit or 16-bit video game that had an international release but was originally released in Japan. Obviously, you are replacing old school video games with My Little Pony characters. I'd suggest you don't do it with fighting games though.
It is more the terms you are using are not one used by anybody around here, ditto at the time they were released or indeed in the games community at large in the present day. They are fairly self evident I guess but still odd sounding.

Equally there is nothing that changing things to ponies, or dinosaurs or whatever that is not just under the banner of general graphics hacking -- people have been doing such things for quite literally decades http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&genre=&platform=&game=&category=3&perpage=100&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go as just that. Likewise general graphics hacking would not include anything unnecessary for such endeavours either -- if I am teaching text hacking to someone with the sole goal of fiddling with English text in an English game I could probably skip Japanese character set table finding/creation. Indeed the thing I covered earlier about palette editing is probably the furthest removed from any work you might find yourself doing here, however still worth knowing.

Well, on that topic, has someone yet made a GUI replacement for FEIDIAN. A great tool but having to install a base program I'm never going to use otherwise is kind of a pain.
Something a bit more Freakin' Easy to use, as the program title suggested (I forget what the rest meant).
For those who hadn't heard of it, it was a program D wrote in some interpreter language (was it Python? I forget) to define game-specific uncompressed tile formats in any size (beyond the standard multiples of 8x8) and dump or insert them to/from BMP.

Maybe that is what is meant by "more formats"?
For the record crystaltile2 can do this quite happily (and in the case of DS font formats it knows then hundreds of different custom ones at once), and has enough other options to cover most edge cases I have encountered in hacking or could reasonably be predicted from hardware and basic concepts. All from a reasonably sane and stable enough GUI.

DrDimension

• View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: June 04, 2018, 06:22:49 pm »
Here's a good idea -

One thing that really annoyed me in Crystalis is that once you get the Crystalis Sword, you could not longer exit the final area.

How fun would it be to be able to revisit places in the world while smashing up enemies with your new sword?

So ya, the ability to exit (and re-enter) the Sky Palace once you obtain the Crystalis Sword would be a great idea for a hack!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:11:26 pm by DrDimension »

Binarynova

• View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: June 06, 2018, 08:06:03 am »
I think a SRAM hack for the Battle Kid games would be great. Just save the game when you interact with a Continue Point.

sm2

• View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: June 07, 2018, 04:38:42 am »
    For those of you who don't know, Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise (VP:PP) is a farm simulation that was released by Rare on the DS. The game revolves around getting Pinata's to appear, making them your residents and romancing them. In VP:PP in particular, there has been on extremely rare Pinata known as the Jeli, which appears only starting at Level 6. In an attempt to get one in my playthrough, I've been researching on what forces it to appear. However, most of the information online is not verifiable, or just incorrect, making it hard to force a Jeli to appear.

I'm writing this post in hopes that someone could take this on as a personal project, and figure out what causes the Jeli to appear and what prevents it from appearing by delving into the ROM

Facts that are definitely true about the Jeli:
  • The Jeli only spawns after level 6
  • The Jeli only appears at night
  • Once the Jeli enters the garden, you have to whack it in the shovel, after which it becomes a resident.

Facts that are likely be true about the Jeli
  • The Jeli rarely spawns past Level 6. That means the Jeli is only easily found at Level 6.
  • The Jeli between 12am to 3am (Time can be viewed on the top screen as a 12 hour clock)
  • Only one Jeli appears per save file / per cartridge (One of these is definitely true, thought I cannot find which one due to conflicting sources)

Factors that may or may not be true:
  • Blackberry Bushes/Fir Trees/Fir Cones/Gem Trees/Gems/Rainbow Gems increase the likelihood of a Jeli appearing.
  • The Jeli does not appear when there is a light source in the garden
  • You need to have not hit any Pinata/character from the start of the game to the end, as well as have no/low number of Pinata's fall ill (This is really vague but it's the best I've got

Factors that are likely wrong:
  • You need a Chewnicorn
  • You may or may not have to fence it in (Again, conflicting sources)
  • You need to sell all other Pinatas
  • You need some combination of buildings and terrain for the Jeli to appear
  • There is no notice when the Jeli appears on the top screen
  • If you go the screen where it shows you a bids-eye view it will show up not as an unknown, like a question mark, but as an actual pinata
  • You cannot use Gretchen Fetchem services whatsoever

Useful Links:
https://pinataisland.info/viva/Jeli
-Pinata Island is a really good source for Viva Pinata knowledge in general. It divides information on each Pinata/Item/Tree into a few sections based on the game, so remember that the game this is regarding is Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise.
-Pinata Island is favoured over alternatives like VivaPinata Wiki because Viva Pinata wiki lacks information on Pocket Paradise and all of the information is mixed up with other games.
-Pinata Island has much missing information, however.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ds/942380-viva-pinata-pocket-paradise/faqs
-In-depth FAQs are reliable for the most part.
-Plant guide by Vinder_DarkWolf fills in the fertiliser information missing on PinataIsland.
-The species guide by somethingsdont is useful for finding what Pinatas are available at your current level

FAQs
Q: You can get the Jeli in the Pinartic.
A: That is only true for Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (the XBox version). This topic is on Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise (the DS one)

Q: How much have you tried looking for the Jeli on your own?
A: I've tried playing the game on two different cartridges, as well as on a DS emulator (desmume). The ROM I used for the emulator as well as for one of the cartridges was completely new from what I could tell. (Unsure how true this is, but a quick way to check whether your ROM is fresh is that you are prompted with a tutorial the first time you start a game). For the other cartridge, I had gotten the Jeli a few years prior but had deleted the save file. Regardless, I've reached Level 6 on all save files and waited 15-20 days at night with some of the above conditions met thrice on each version. I have not sighted a Jeli at all.

Q: How do I reach Level 6 quickly?
A: I don't have a quick and easy way. My only recommendation is to go for the Master Romancer and Variant (where possible) award for each Pinata that you get, so as to minimise the number of Pinata's you need. As well as this, I recommend growing all plants and weeds available to you (with fertiliser when possible) as you gain experience for fully growing a plant. If you do it right, you can reach Level 6 anywhere between 1 to 4 hours. What I usually do is meet the master romancer requirements and variant requirements and immediately sell all the Pinata's of that species.

Q: How do I get this item?
A: If you are missing a certain item that is not available in the store, either you are not high level enough to obtain it, or it has to be unlocked through Bart's exchange. (https://pinataisland.info/viva/Bart%27s_Exchange#tab=Pocket_Paradise) This is vital for taming the Sour Crowla, which can only be obtained by performing Bart's exchange on Honey. For Honey, Milk, and Wool, you have to obtain a Buzzlegum, Moozipan and Goobaa respectively, feed them a Buttercup, Sunflower and Watercress respectively, and direct them to the appropriate building (that are available under Wily's Buildings)

Q: How do I get romance candies?
A: You can obtain romance candies by sending Pinatas to Pinata Central (requests from Pinata Central come up as Balloons on the bottom left corner of the touchscreen).

Q: How do I earn money quick?
A: There are two ways to do this. First, you can breed Syrupents to obtain Twingersnaps (by lightly tapping the eggs with your shovel before it hatches until gas leaves the egg). After you get two Twingersnaps, you can breed them and perform the same egg trick to get Fourheads. While you cannot breed Fourheads until level 8, adult Fourheads can be sold for a lot of money early game. The second, much easier strategy, is to copy your save file in the menu and send yourself your extra Pinatas/items to sell in your main save file (or sending money directly). I am unsure if the second one affects Jeli spawning so I did not do this method. Rest assured if you're managing resources carefully you should never have a shortage of cash.

Q: What Pinatas should I attempt to get?
A: You should complete the Bunnycomb requirements as soon as possible, as Pretztails that attack Bunnycombs appear at level 3. Do not fill the garden with grass until you have completed the Mousemallow. Flutterscotches are easy free experience once you have unlocked them, as they are the only Pinata in which you can obtain the Master Romancer achievement for each variant. I don't recommend you try to get Arocknid, Buzzenge, Badgesicle, and Chippopotamus.

Closing words:
Thanks to whoever picks up this project, and I hope that this puzzle gets solved soon. I will update this post with new information as time passes.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: June 07, 2018, 01:51:42 pm »
Changing this post since it was moved.

Rework on NARC would be nice :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:40:38 pm by Sinis »
Castlevania ROM Center on Discord
https://discord.gg/eXDzAyg

Discord: Sinis#4332

Real_Character

• Restricted Access
  • A 16-bit character in a 2-bit world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: June 07, 2018, 07:51:11 pm »
A 60hz NTSC hack of Flink (Genesis) that keeps the game speed and sound pitch (it runs too fast on NTSC and is harder).

A hack of Ninja Gaiden Trilogy to change the button layout (so that Y and B are attack and jump, instead of B and A).

MysteryMan3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: June 07, 2018, 08:36:01 pm »
The contents of Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection are able to be extracted thanks to QuickBMS:http://aluigi.altervista.org/quickbms.htm

Which got me wondering: You think you guys would be able to convert the VROM and related files of all the games from the collection to become usable in MAME / FBA / etc. ? That would be EXTREMELY beneficial to people like me who'd like to play the games in said emulators and even try out FightCade, but don't want to resort to illegal downloading...

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: June 08, 2018, 10:56:02 am »
A 60hz NTSC hack of Flink (Genesis) that keeps the game speed and sound pitch (it runs too fast on NTSC and is harder).

A hack of Ninja Gaiden Trilogy to change the button layout (so that Y and B are attack and jump, instead of B and A).

For Ninja Gaiden, that and also fixing the sound so it doesn't hurt my ears.

zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: June 08, 2018, 02:21:05 pm »
NES Super Turrican optimized for NTSC, and Street Fighter Alpha 2 decompressed

RobbDiamond

• View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: June 08, 2018, 02:30:46 pm »
Hey guys!!
I'm totally new here  :D

Is there anyone who knows if someone did a hack of the Mario Bros Arcade game that is in the battle mode of SMB 3 which is in Super Mario All-Star?
Or if anyone knows if someone is working on this or interested into doing it?

Something with more options, like to be able to play for less than 6 stars or maybe different difficulty settings,
anything really, that would be awesome.

Or maybe a SMW hack that would be a similar game could be even better.

I still play this game with friends, and I would love to bring this to an arcade bar and start to do friendly competition. It's just simple gameplay with a nice balance between luck and skills. (locks, coins run, platforming)

Anyways, thanx guys!! I appreciate, take care

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: June 08, 2018, 04:09:04 pm »
I recalled something that a certain PS1 game that really needs a revamp in difficulty, and that game is Wild Arms 2. I couldn't believe how dirt easy the game was, and even the final boss was a complete joke.

Fixing this crucial issue would be a godsend.

deaddrool

• View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: June 09, 2018, 03:18:35 pm »
Can you make the transition from balance to chaos into an item? Like the idea of a summons based rpg were you get the strongest summons right off the bat. Only problem is you can never control it so it goes into world of chaos if used.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: June 09, 2018, 05:36:31 pm »
Here's a good idea -

One thing that really annoyed me in Crystalis is that once you get the Crystalis Sword, you could not longer exit the final area.

How fun would it be to be able to revisit places in the world while smashing up enemies with your new sword?

So ya, the ability to exit (and re-enter) the Sky Palace once you obtain the Crystalis Sword would be a great idea for a hack!
I'm curious what other games have this "issue". Quest 64 is another one, with no way out of Mammon's world after saving there. Super Metroid is fixed.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #4935 on: June 09, 2018, 08:03:34 pm »
Here's something that popped into my head recently. It's not necessarily an idea for a specific hack, but...
Has anyone ever attempted to hack Mario Paint?
I'd be curious to see what's going on under the hood. I bet there's at least some unrealized potential in terms of what can be created with it, like animation cycles beyond 9 repeating cells.
Might be fun to try to splice a different game into the "coffee break," too.
Is it even possible? Do emulators in general (and hacking emulators, specifically) have support for the SNES mouse?
Would anyone care enough, given what more can be done with readily available computer software, to check out the final product? probably not. It would be the kind of thing where the journey is its own destination, I guess.
I might have tried it if I had any time at all, but I don't even have enough to devote to working on any of my "current" works in progress.  :'(
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Warrior Of Light

• View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: June 10, 2018, 12:56:02 am »
I'd like to see a text cleanup / restoration of Soul Blazer. After reading these notes of the original unwatered-down version:
https://www.terraearth.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2368

Hello Sluffy, i like your Snes hacks with Slowdown Removes (Lost Vikings II), i have many hacks with color enhancement (Street Fighter 2 and Captain Command for exemple), and my hack of Super R-type have new backgrounds animations, where the background gets the flashing lighting.

https://youtu.be/-wojnYaXwqw?t=65

You can remove the Slowdowns for me ? It would be an interesting partnership because I also have other hacks.

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: June 10, 2018, 04:21:56 am »
Okay, it has been a long time since I last sent a suggestion here.

I was wading through the Final Fantasy VI hack sections for both the SNES and GBA versions and realized that almost nothing is related to changing how Gau learns his Rages. All I found was, on the SNES, an expansion to Gau's Rage and Relm's Sketch, and the fact that Brave New World shortened Gau's Rage command count to 64.

What I wanted to know if there isn't some means to make the whole learning process for his Rages (Which, due to massive randomness, may take hours upon hours upon hours and suck the entire fun out of the game due to how bad a case of padding it is) easier or at least way less random, making life easier for completionists or just those who like Gau. And of course, if such a maneuver could be applied for both versions of the game.

Well, it doesn't kill to leave the idea floating around.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: June 10, 2018, 11:14:50 am »
Okay, it has been a long time since I last sent a suggestion here.

I was wading through the Final Fantasy VI hack sections for both the SNES and GBA versions and realized that almost nothing is related to changing how Gau learns his Rages. All I found was, on the SNES, an expansion to Gau's Rage and Relm's Sketch, and the fact that Brave New World shortened Gau's Rage command count to 64.

What I wanted to know if there isn't some means to make the whole learning process for his Rages (Which, due to massive randomness, may take hours upon hours upon hours and suck the entire fun out of the game due to how bad a case of padding it is) easier or at least way less random, making life easier for completionists or just those who like Gau. And of course, if such a maneuver could be applied for both versions of the game.

Well, it doesn't kill to leave the idea floating around.

There's the learnable Rage hack - https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1371/

deaddrool

• View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: June 10, 2018, 04:43:14 pm »
I was wondering if an item could be made to trigger the world of chaos in final fantasy 6.

If so, I had a hack idea where summons are the main way of fighting (but you still could attack if you want but the summons that are offensive are way better suited for that).

Early in the game you get the most powerful summon as an item.  Using this item causes the summoned demon to be let loose (similar to ten tales in Naruto) and no one can control it.  You can gain the skill to control it later but only after it is let loose.   I was hoping to make it that you can beat the game without using the summons as well.

Hope this grabs others interest : )