News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2425511 times)

mushguy

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4900 on: May 29, 2018, 02:51:56 am »
I don't know if this was discussed already, but I was thinking about hacks for the GBA versions of Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2 that do fixes for graphics and some of the music. In the graphics department, palette fixes that instead use the palettes from the SNES games; also, animation fixes for some sprites that are either too slow and/or missing frames (Diddy's idle animation comes to mind). In the music department, some minor fixes for several songs that range from missing some notes (Jungle Hijinxs, for example) or have a few notes too many (Ice Cave Chant, for example), to screwing up great parts of the song (Forest Frenzy as a minor offender, Tree Top Rock as a major offender); apparently the composer of the GBA port did not pay enough attention to the soundtrack when recreating it for GBA from scratch. Also, correcting track names from the sound tests (Simian Segue to DK Island Swing; Kannon's Klaim to Mining Melancholy).

A fix could also be made for Donkey Kong Country 3, but only in the graphics department (colors and animations; Kiddy's sitting animation looks a bit off, for example).

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: May 29, 2018, 12:45:36 pm »
Thinking back, the PSX and Saturn versions of Metal Slug needs:

A translation for MS1 (you can use the scripts from the Neo-Geo CD port, which are in English, Combat School included).
For PlayStation: Translate the Another Story minigames.
For Sega Saturn: to revert "nP=2" to nUP=2" in the HUD graphics (n being the Player Number).

Decensoring the blood on overseas versions of MSX, and relocate Assault Theme on the 3rd Boss. I found out recently that First Contact and Final Attack have TWO different renditions (I guess it was for improving load times) but the third boss alternate rendition should have been Assault Theme, not Final Attack.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: May 30, 2018, 12:28:51 am »
Those are cool ideas for the old console ports of Metal Slug 1 & X.

For both ports of Metal Slug 1, add the ability to have infinite continues.

The two Metal Slug hacks that I really want to see is one for the Arcade & Neo-Geo ports of Metal Slug X that would give the background stages their Metal Slug 2 color palettes and the Metal Slug 1 bosses their Metal Slug 1 color palettes. I also wouldn't mind seeing this be done to the PSX port of it as well.

The other one is one for the PSP port of Metal Slug XX where it will restore the original screams & death screams of the soldier enemies, I'm not a fan of the new ones.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 12:56:16 am by SCD »

RandomMan25XX

• View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: May 31, 2018, 06:58:50 am »
The likelihood of my post being seen is slim to none, but with the recent leak of the Pokémon Gold Spaceworld 1997 Demo and the lack of color in less than accurate emulators and GBC VC, I was wondering if someone could make a color hack of sorts, kinda like the color hacks for Pokémon Red and Blue, there is an SGB Palette to work with so that should save a bit of time in doing whatever may be done, it could be a compliment to the english translation that is also being worked on for the game

Gary_Oak

• View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: May 31, 2018, 07:52:36 am »
It'd be nice if someone could grab one of the Super Robot Wars games and extensively hack it in order to create the true vision of Super Heroine Chronicle (an offshoot of Super Robot Wars, think SRW with waifus). According to TV Tropes, the original game was, allegedly, supposed to have far more characters than it originally did:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Trivia/SuperHeroineChronicle

What Could Have Been: If this Japanese post was true, the original idea for the game was completely different from the final designed cast, including being planned originally for the PSP rather than the Play Station Vita. Also, other series, including Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Tenchi Muyo!, Heaven's Lost Property, Bubblegum Crisis (the 80s series, not the Tokyo 2040 remake), Silent Möbius, Scrapped Princess, Fate/stay night, Ninja Nonsense, Mahoromatic, Strike Witches, Slayers, Mai-HiME, the first Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha movie, Cyber Team in Akihabara, Cutey Honey (the Studio Gainax OVA), A Certain Scientific Railgun, Jubei-chan and even Devilman Lady were considered to be included.

thepatrickinator

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #4905 on: May 31, 2018, 08:35:06 am »
I hope somebody completes a flexible graphics editor program cause many of the graphics editors I found aren't that flexible to edit graphics! For example, having aditional graphics formats support, pixel editor, palette editor, and user interface bug squishing just like TileShop.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: May 31, 2018, 09:41:17 am »
What additional formats do you want? Several of the higher end tools support things that are normally only seen in 3d textures. Or do you mean importing things? If so there are those that support bitmap and PNG, no sense catering to those foolish enough to use a lossy format.
Or do you mean known formats like we see on the filesystem based devices? There are a few of those too but I guess there could stand to be more, though some were coming the other way and making plugins for more conventional graphics editors ( http://loveemu.hatenablog.com/entry/20091004/nitroscrap ).

Palette editor? Plenty seem to have a read from and write to command, as well as the ability to customise a colour. What else is there?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4907 on: May 31, 2018, 10:01:08 am »
I agree with FAST6191, this post is a little confusing. The combination of Tile Molester and GIMP has allowed me to do pretty much anything, so I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. Pixel editor? You mean zooming in? :huh:

thepatrickinator

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: June 01, 2018, 11:38:13 pm »
If your familiar with sprite editing than yes. Palette editor obviously allows you to change sprites into anything you want. If people want to make ponified versions of Made in Japan video games, palette editing is what I'd suggest they use first.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: June 02, 2018, 09:23:03 am »
A palette editor does nothing of the sort.

Most game graphics, certainly most of those we deal with around here, are kind of like paint by numbers pictures. The palette is then the thing that tells the game what colour to look up for it (see also why we have things like CLUT in later formats/systems -- colour look up table). Some systems have a hardcoded one but most will allow custom ones that the game creates at run time. You then edit this palette however you will (bearing in mind some games do animations by editing the palette at runtime, and there is a reason why we have the term "palette swap") and can change colours for whatever purpose you like.
The only way you alter what a thing looks like if is you can change one of the colours to the transparent one, or make one colour the same as another and cause something to blend in that did not before.

To alter what things look like you tend to want to do tile editing which is a different game entirely.

Similarly "ponified versions"? Is there anything inherent to that that needs to considered from a technical side of things? It would seem to fall entirely under conventional graphics hacking from where I sit.

When you say sprite editing do you mean like more contemporary sprite/pixel art and graphics editors? If so that is not likely to happen as the systems we deal with, and the way the games are programmed, means you necessarily need the flexibility of a hacker style tile editor unless you have a game specific tool, or something some complex as to almost be a programming language unto itself.

In all this I still have to say I would love someone to come along and take all the best parts of the various editors out there to make a super tile editor (something like the UI of tiled2002, with the power of crystaltile2 and various things tileggd and tinke afford me, as well as borrowing whatever from Tile Layer Pro and Tile Molester and making it far more stable than most of those).

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4910 on: June 02, 2018, 09:36:26 am »
Again, your second post only made us more confused. :)

If we look at palettes on the NES, for example, they're stored at a different part of the PPU's memory than the actual graphics, not to mention the attribute table that says which palette goes with each tile. Then sprite palettes are kept with each sprite in OAM memory. All are changed with specific instructions from the CPU, so none can be edited in a tile editing program.

Besides, "ponified"? "Made in Japan"? I feel like we're speaking different languages... :D

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: June 02, 2018, 11:53:34 am »
Well, on that topic, has someone yet made a GUI replacement for FEIDIAN. A great tool but having to install a base program I'm never going to use otherwise is kind of a pain.
Something a bit more Freakin' Easy to use, as the program title suggested (I forget what the rest meant).
For those who hadn't heard of it, it was a program D wrote in some interpreter language (was it Python? I forget) to define game-specific uncompressed tile formats in any size (beyond the standard multiples of 8x8) and dump or insert them to/from BMP.

Maybe that is what is meant by "more formats"?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

thepatrickinator

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: June 02, 2018, 04:05:07 pm »
If you guys are wondering about ponified versions of Made in Japan video games, you're obviously doing a My Little Pony twist to a 8-bit or 16-bit video game that had an international release but was originally released in Japan. Obviously, you are replacing old school video games with My Little Pony characters. I'd suggest you don't do it with fighting games though.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #4913 on: June 02, 2018, 05:42:14 pm »
Lol, the poison mushroom hack in SMB1 is listed as "an improvement" to the game.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: June 03, 2018, 03:26:57 pm »
If you guys are wondering about ponified versions of Made in Japan video games, you're obviously doing a My Little Pony twist to a 8-bit or 16-bit video game that had an international release but was originally released in Japan. Obviously, you are replacing old school video games with My Little Pony characters. I'd suggest you don't do it with fighting games though.
It is more the terms you are using are not one used by anybody around here, ditto at the time they were released or indeed in the games community at large in the present day. They are fairly self evident I guess but still odd sounding.

Equally there is nothing that changing things to ponies, or dinosaurs or whatever that is not just under the banner of general graphics hacking -- people have been doing such things for quite literally decades http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&genre=&platform=&game=&category=3&perpage=100&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go as just that. Likewise general graphics hacking would not include anything unnecessary for such endeavours either -- if I am teaching text hacking to someone with the sole goal of fiddling with English text in an English game I could probably skip Japanese character set table finding/creation. Indeed the thing I covered earlier about palette editing is probably the furthest removed from any work you might find yourself doing here, however still worth knowing.

Well, on that topic, has someone yet made a GUI replacement for FEIDIAN. A great tool but having to install a base program I'm never going to use otherwise is kind of a pain.
Something a bit more Freakin' Easy to use, as the program title suggested (I forget what the rest meant).
For those who hadn't heard of it, it was a program D wrote in some interpreter language (was it Python? I forget) to define game-specific uncompressed tile formats in any size (beyond the standard multiples of 8x8) and dump or insert them to/from BMP.

Maybe that is what is meant by "more formats"?
For the record crystaltile2 can do this quite happily (and in the case of DS font formats it knows then hundreds of different custom ones at once), and has enough other options to cover most edge cases I have encountered in hacking or could reasonably be predicted from hardware and basic concepts. All from a reasonably sane and stable enough GUI.

DrDimension

• View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: June 04, 2018, 06:22:49 pm »
Here's a good idea -

One thing that really annoyed me in Crystalis is that once you get the Crystalis Sword, you could not longer exit the final area.

How fun would it be to be able to revisit places in the world while smashing up enemies with your new sword?

So ya, the ability to exit (and re-enter) the Sky Palace once you obtain the Crystalis Sword would be a great idea for a hack!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:11:26 pm by DrDimension »

Binarynova

• View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: June 06, 2018, 08:06:03 am »
I think a SRAM hack for the Battle Kid games would be great. Just save the game when you interact with a Continue Point.
#WoolseyDidNothingWrong

sm2

• View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: June 07, 2018, 04:38:42 am »
    For those of you who don't know, Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise (VP:PP) is a farm simulation that was released by Rare on the DS. The game revolves around getting Pinata's to appear, making them your residents and romancing them. In VP:PP in particular, there has been on extremely rare Pinata known as the Jeli, which appears only starting at Level 6. In an attempt to get one in my playthrough, I've been researching on what forces it to appear. However, most of the information online is not verifiable, or just incorrect, making it hard to force a Jeli to appear.

I'm writing this post in hopes that someone could take this on as a personal project, and figure out what causes the Jeli to appear and what prevents it from appearing by delving into the ROM

Facts that are definitely true about the Jeli:
  • The Jeli only spawns after level 6
  • The Jeli only appears at night
  • Once the Jeli enters the garden, you have to whack it in the shovel, after which it becomes a resident.

Facts that are likely be true about the Jeli
  • The Jeli rarely spawns past Level 6. That means the Jeli is only easily found at Level 6.
  • The Jeli between 12am to 3am (Time can be viewed on the top screen as a 12 hour clock)
  • Only one Jeli appears per save file / per cartridge (One of these is definitely true, thought I cannot find which one due to conflicting sources)

Factors that may or may not be true:
  • Blackberry Bushes/Fir Trees/Fir Cones/Gem Trees/Gems/Rainbow Gems increase the likelihood of a Jeli appearing.
  • The Jeli does not appear when there is a light source in the garden
  • You need to have not hit any Pinata/character from the start of the game to the end, as well as have no/low number of Pinata's fall ill (This is really vague but it's the best I've got

Factors that are likely wrong:
  • You need a Chewnicorn
  • You may or may not have to fence it in (Again, conflicting sources)
  • You need to sell all other Pinatas
  • You need some combination of buildings and terrain for the Jeli to appear
  • There is no notice when the Jeli appears on the top screen
  • If you go the screen where it shows you a bids-eye view it will show up not as an unknown, like a question mark, but as an actual pinata
  • You cannot use Gretchen Fetchem services whatsoever

Useful Links:
https://pinataisland.info/viva/Jeli
-Pinata Island is a really good source for Viva Pinata knowledge in general. It divides information on each Pinata/Item/Tree into a few sections based on the game, so remember that the game this is regarding is Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise.
-Pinata Island is favoured over alternatives like VivaPinata Wiki because Viva Pinata wiki lacks information on Pocket Paradise and all of the information is mixed up with other games.
-Pinata Island has much missing information, however.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ds/942380-viva-pinata-pocket-paradise/faqs
-In-depth FAQs are reliable for the most part.
-Plant guide by Vinder_DarkWolf fills in the fertiliser information missing on PinataIsland.
-The species guide by somethingsdont is useful for finding what Pinatas are available at your current level

FAQs
Q: You can get the Jeli in the Pinartic.
A: That is only true for Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (the XBox version). This topic is on Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise (the DS one)

Q: How much have you tried looking for the Jeli on your own?
A: I've tried playing the game on two different cartridges, as well as on a DS emulator (desmume). The ROM I used for the emulator as well as for one of the cartridges was completely new from what I could tell. (Unsure how true this is, but a quick way to check whether your ROM is fresh is that you are prompted with a tutorial the first time you start a game). For the other cartridge, I had gotten the Jeli a few years prior but had deleted the save file. Regardless, I've reached Level 6 on all save files and waited 15-20 days at night with some of the above conditions met thrice on each version. I have not sighted a Jeli at all.

Q: How do I reach Level 6 quickly?
A: I don't have a quick and easy way. My only recommendation is to go for the Master Romancer and Variant (where possible) award for each Pinata that you get, so as to minimise the number of Pinata's you need. As well as this, I recommend growing all plants and weeds available to you (with fertiliser when possible) as you gain experience for fully growing a plant. If you do it right, you can reach Level 6 anywhere between 1 to 4 hours. What I usually do is meet the master romancer requirements and variant requirements and immediately sell all the Pinata's of that species.

Q: How do I get this item?
A: If you are missing a certain item that is not available in the store, either you are not high level enough to obtain it, or it has to be unlocked through Bart's exchange. (https://pinataisland.info/viva/Bart%27s_Exchange#tab=Pocket_Paradise) This is vital for taming the Sour Crowla, which can only be obtained by performing Bart's exchange on Honey. For Honey, Milk, and Wool, you have to obtain a Buzzlegum, Moozipan and Goobaa respectively, feed them a Buttercup, Sunflower and Watercress respectively, and direct them to the appropriate building (that are available under Wily's Buildings)

Q: How do I get romance candies?
A: You can obtain romance candies by sending Pinatas to Pinata Central (requests from Pinata Central come up as Balloons on the bottom left corner of the touchscreen).

Q: How do I earn money quick?
A: There are two ways to do this. First, you can breed Syrupents to obtain Twingersnaps (by lightly tapping the eggs with your shovel before it hatches until gas leaves the egg). After you get two Twingersnaps, you can breed them and perform the same egg trick to get Fourheads. While you cannot breed Fourheads until level 8, adult Fourheads can be sold for a lot of money early game. The second, much easier strategy, is to copy your save file in the menu and send yourself your extra Pinatas/items to sell in your main save file (or sending money directly). I am unsure if the second one affects Jeli spawning so I did not do this method. Rest assured if you're managing resources carefully you should never have a shortage of cash.

Q: What Pinatas should I attempt to get?
A: You should complete the Bunnycomb requirements as soon as possible, as Pretztails that attack Bunnycombs appear at level 3. Do not fill the garden with grass until you have completed the Mousemallow. Flutterscotches are easy free experience once you have unlocked them, as they are the only Pinata in which you can obtain the Master Romancer achievement for each variant. I don't recommend you try to get Arocknid, Buzzenge, Badgesicle, and Chippopotamus.

Closing words:
Thanks to whoever picks up this project, and I hope that this puzzle gets solved soon. I will update this post with new information as time passes.

Morinis

• Cupcakes and Pizza
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #4918 on: June 07, 2018, 01:51:42 pm »
Changing this post since it was moved.

Rework on NARC would be nice :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:40:38 pm by Sinis »
ROM Hacker, Reviewer and Critic.

Don't Know What Else To Say So... <3 You!

Real_Character

• Restricted Access
  • A 16-bit character in a 2-bit world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: June 07, 2018, 07:51:11 pm »
A 60hz NTSC hack of Flink (Genesis) that keeps the game speed and sound pitch (it runs too fast on NTSC and is harder).

A hack of Ninja Gaiden Trilogy to change the button layout (so that Y and B are attack and jump, instead of B and A).