News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 853061 times)

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4880 on: May 19, 2018, 07:13:13 am »
it's not programmed, but it's really hard,

I hope many hack graphic projects with the sprites of Sonic Mania in Sonic original and Sonic 2 of Genesis / Megadrive at the moment there is none, only this great demo that is not finished

there are only many hack for the pc version of Sonic Mania, but not for Sega Genesis / MegaDrive :(

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: May 19, 2018, 05:15:56 pm »
Can't be done without some serious reworking, possibly reprogramming the game from the ground up. Sonic Mania has so much fluidity in its animations that chances are very good you wouldn't be able to fit all of the sprites in a Genesis ROM. What's left would look very choppy.

goxor

• View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: May 21, 2018, 11:53:22 am »
Castlevania - Dracula X

Yes, it's a sloppy remake of Castlevania - Rondo Of Blood.  But here's a few simple things that if fixed, could make it seem a lot more polished.

Richter's walk animation:  So they took his walk and stair climbing animation from Rondo, then cut out half the frames.  The side effect is, he animates twice as fast.  There's probably no way to add the missing frames, but would it be simple to just slow the animation down?

First stage boss:  Why does a three headed dog sound like a mountain lion?

Sixth stage boss:  This is the Death fight.  In Rondo Of Blood, it takes place on top of a ship with a wide open background.  Death descends in the background with a smaller sprite, rises past the top of the screen, then swoops back down with his larger sprite - right over Richter.
But for some reason, they tried to do the same in this game, despite the background being only 2 feet behind Richter.  So it looks like a mini death turns into a big death.  It looks dumb.

Final stage background:  Before entering the stage, we see a map screen indicating where Richter is on the castle.  Then the stage begins, and we see the exact same castle in the distant background.  No.  Just no.

Third stage boss:  Dullahan's death animation shows background tiles from Rondo that don't exist in this game.  On second thought, maybe it's best to leave that in.  It's funny, and who would notice anyway?

So it's been 13 years since anyone's done a hack for this game.  Anyone more skilled than me up for it?

zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: May 22, 2018, 02:06:05 pm »
Castlevania - Dracula X

Yes, it's a sloppy remake of Castlevania - Rondo Of Blood.  But here's a few simple things that if fixed, could make it seem a lot more polished.

Richter's walk animation:  So they took his walk and stair climbing animation from Rondo, then cut out half the frames.  The side effect is, he animates twice as fast.  There's probably no way to add the missing frames, but would it be simple to just slow the animation down?

First stage boss:  Why does a three headed dog sound like a mountain lion?

Sixth stage boss:  This is the Death fight.  In Rondo Of Blood, it takes place on top of a ship with a wide open background.  Death descends in the background with a smaller sprite, rises past the top of the screen, then swoops back down with his larger sprite - right over Richter.
But for some reason, they tried to do the same in this game, despite the background being only 2 feet behind Richter.  So it looks like a mini death turns into a big death.  It looks dumb.

Final stage background:  Before entering the stage, we see a map screen indicating where Richter is on the castle.  Then the stage begins, and we see the exact same castle in the distant background.  No.  Just no.

Third stage boss:  Dullahan's death animation shows background tiles from Rondo that don't exist in this game.  On second thought, maybe it's best to leave that in.  It's funny, and who would notice anyway?

So it's been 13 years since anyone's done a hack for this game.  Anyone more skilled than me up for it?

I second this, the game needs some love.  I always thought a title screen hack to "Vampire's Kiss" (to differentiate it from Dracula X) or a save function would spruce it up

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: May 22, 2018, 04:22:16 pm »
Many loved the SNES Street Fighter games, but they were missing sound effects (Round 1 Fight!)

-Street Fighter II SNES - Add in the sound effects missing from the arcade that are present in Turbo.
-Super Street Fighter II SNES - Port in the missing sound effects from the arcade.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4885 on: May 22, 2018, 05:17:04 pm »
Many loved the SNES Street Fighter games, but they were missing sound effects (Round 1 Fight!)

-Street Fighter II SNES - Add in the sound effects missing from the arcade that are present in Turbo.
-Super Street Fighter II SNES - Port in the missing sound effects from the arcade.

Uh...
https://youtu.be/cbUn5ceJqM0?t=1m40s

So which sound effects are missing? I'm pretty familiar with SF2 on both SNES and arcade, and I don't recall any missing sound effects at all.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: May 23, 2018, 12:07:30 am »
Uh...
https://youtu.be/cbUn5ceJqM0?t=1m40s

So which sound effects are missing? I'm pretty familiar with SF2 on both SNES and arcade, and I don't recall any missing sound effects at all.

The countries names being called out when a plane goes there. The extra stage sound effects in the stages (I know Turbo added some of them to the end of the stage, like Dhalsim's elephants). "You WIN!" "Perfect!" Then of course, uncensoring the blood on the VS signs.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: May 23, 2018, 08:36:31 am »
I would like to see a color hack for Metal Slug X that would give the background stages their Metal Slug 2 colors and the Metal Slug 1 bosses their Metal Slug 1 colors.

Oddbrother

• No need to fit in.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: May 23, 2018, 10:32:52 am »
Replacing Billy and Cormano with Steve and Bob on the Sega Mega Drive version of Sunset Riders.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4889 on: May 23, 2018, 05:52:36 pm »
The countries names being called out when a plane goes there. The extra stage sound effects in the stages (I know Turbo added some of them to the end of the stage, like Dhalsim's elephants). "You WIN!" "Perfect!" Then of course, uncensoring the blood on the VS signs.

I have to admit that my memory was clearly getting muddled, as you're correct that those things are not in World Warrior. However... every one of those things was added to SF2 Turbo. Therefore, why even bother adding them to World Warrior? Turbo is clearly the improved version (you can play Champ Edition if you don't want the extra speed and moves, after all). Or better yet, play the World Warrior arcade on emulation, if you really must play World Warrior at all.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #4890 on: May 23, 2018, 09:00:31 pm »
I have to admit that my memory was clearly getting muddled, as you're correct that those things are not in World Warrior. However... every one of those things was added to SF2 Turbo. Therefore, why even bother adding them to World Warrior? Turbo is clearly the improved version (you can play Champ Edition if you don't want the extra speed and moves, after all). Or better yet, play the World Warrior arcade on emulation, if you really must play World Warrior at all.

Sure we all can just emulate the Arcade version, or play it officially now with the Anniversary Collection, but I say why not? I played the heck out of each version that came out so that's reason enough for me.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: May 24, 2018, 12:31:24 pm »
But it sounds kind of like "let's hack the original with stuff from Turbo... so we change it into Turbo". :P
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4892 on: May 24, 2018, 01:18:41 pm »
But it sounds kind of like "let's hack the original with stuff from Turbo... so we change it into Turbo". :P

:laugh:

Hey now, Primal, if you want to put all this stuff from Turbo into WW, you're welcome. Just not sure anyone else will do it. ;)

(now I'm wondering what's easier: adding Turbo to WW or gimping Turbo so that it's just like WW... :) )

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: May 24, 2018, 07:37:13 pm »
:laugh:

Hey now, Primal, if you want to put all this stuff from Turbo into WW, you're welcome. Just not sure anyone else will do it. ;)

(now I'm wondering what's easier: adding Turbo to WW or gimping Turbo so that it's just like WW... :) )

I'm not sure really. This thread isn't a request thread but more so an ideas thread. If no one cares it's not THAT big a deal. I just thought it would benefit the old SNES version to some degree. Either way, I like seeing the differences between versions.

nanashi89

• View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: May 24, 2018, 07:39:54 pm »
How about a Magic of Scheherazade restoration Patch?

The original Japanese version had a bigger world and a different OST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSKEduiYUOM

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: May 24, 2018, 10:05:03 pm »
something really neat and usefull would be a DK64 hack that removes the character barrels and adds a character swap button.

like, make the L button cycle through the characters. DK>DIDDY>TINY>CHUNKY>LANKY>DK>DIDDY and so on

BulkSlash

• View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: May 26, 2018, 11:47:52 am »
How easy would it be to change Zelda III’s save system so that it works like later Zelda games where if you save and quit in a dungeon you restart at the dungeon entrance rather than Link’s House / Dark World Pyramid? It’s always bugged me having to work my way back across the world to a dungeon just because I had to stop playing.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: May 26, 2018, 04:22:06 pm »
I imagine it would be a nice starter assembly project. Harder than converting a cheat to a hack but likely nothing too drastic as these things go.

Looking at http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Zelda_II:_The_Adventure_of_Link:RAM_map then you have a value
$0561 - current scene/map index
Your mod would then have to save that location (or if it is somewhere else then that instead, and continuing down that page there might be some others) and usefully restore it.

I should also note said RAM map notes "$0026 - ?Movement Tally - Increases as you walk in overworld." which might change some aspect of gameplay somewhere.

Might as well have the link to the game's entry in the wiki
http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Zelda_II:_The_Adventure_of_Link

worldstar88

• View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: May 26, 2018, 04:42:06 pm »
Hi
Would anyone like to make a tutorial on how to program a characters movesets
for the non playable bosses to prevent game freeze?.

Grandpaf

• View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: May 26, 2018, 04:42:34 pm »
Someone ever though about making a improved control patch for Bio Senshi Dan on Famicom ? Would be such an interesting game to play without those stiff-fawful control ala Castlevania.
La forêt... en pleine Beauce