Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

who knows how to improve this game?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1389294 times)

mamertos

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4860 on: May 09, 2018, 05:21:59 pm »
Never had any trouble with it. How is it not responsive exactly?
edit: Just tried the game again.
- if you press the shield button, it starts a timer and goes to defense stance. When the timer runs out it goes back to normal stance. If you keep tapping the shield button it never leaves the defense stance. Could change this to a simple hold/release.
- if you try to walk it won't use the shield, no matter what. you need to stand still. This I would remove. The shield should have priority, to be more intuitive. But if you already know to stand still, I don't think that's a problem.

The shield sometimes doesn't work because you have to stay TOTALLY still. Sometimes you stop and press the shield button too fast and that's why it does not work properly.

Mario Bros.

• View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: May 09, 2018, 05:44:50 pm »
the game "bart simpson vs space mutants" need asignation of a button for running , actualy is shitty for running
PS: A bad request's reader is a bad helper

RandomMan25XX

• View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: May 09, 2018, 09:07:40 pm »
with all the color hacks that have been made for other GB titles, I figured one for donkey kong would be a great one, it already has a palette for Super Gameboy so why not have one all the time that could work for something like VC injections for the 3ds

hossbags2

• View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: May 11, 2018, 04:36:01 am »
Use digitized voices from Gauntlet (arcade) into Gauntlet 4 for Sega Genesis.........sound more clear

PhantomQuest

• View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: May 12, 2018, 08:53:59 am »
Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse. Every character is playable at the same time like in Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 09:12:49 am by PhantomQuest »

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: May 12, 2018, 12:04:11 pm »
Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse. Every character is playable at the same time like in Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon.
I like this idea. The levels were designed with certain characters in mind, so they might become absurdly easy when played with unintended characters. But it would be fun to play with.

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: May 12, 2018, 12:39:59 pm »
I would like to see "The Battle Of Olympus" with longer weapons and the main character replaced with Kratos sprite from God Of War.
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4867 on: May 12, 2018, 01:29:19 pm »

The easy way to get this is play in an emulator like FCEUX and freeze address $54E with the number you want.
00 - Trevor
01 - Sypha
02 - Grant
03 - Alucard

Gamehacking.org told me this. :)

If you want the four characters to be selectable in the game easily, I'd have to find out where in RAM the currently-available characters are kept, which would mean playing through the game. No thanks. :D

Alternatively, use Game Genie code KVAVPY to enable a debug menu: the first digit chooses the level, the last digit chooses who Trevor partner's with. Again, thanks to gamehacking.org for that. :)

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: May 12, 2018, 01:37:30 pm »
So, today I realized there are two Densha de Go! on Game Boy Color... Shame neither is translated. And they look really good too...

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #4869 on: May 13, 2018, 06:21:42 am »
I'd love to see a mod of one of the Oracle games that turns it into a 2D Breath of the Wild, like in this fan made trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exwdh57hGCI

That'd be awesome.
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: May 13, 2018, 12:21:03 pm »
I'd love to see a mod of one of the Oracle games that turns it into a 2D Breath of the Wild, like in this fan made trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exwdh57hGCI

That'd be awesome.
That would be better done in Armageddon Games' Zelda Classic. Give a check at PureZC to see if someone started it or is interested, hopefully someone will...

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: May 14, 2018, 10:22:35 am »
How I said in the text above, would be nice to change the title screen of Firepower 2000 (SNES) since the original one is so cryptic (if you have played the game you’ll know what I’m talking about). The solution would be to show a short text when the game title displays. The result could be like this image made with Paint by me.

By the way, nobody has problems using the manual shield in The King of Dragons (SNES)? I’m the only one? How i said in the text above too, it's difficult to use because you need to stay totally still. Well, a possible improve for TKOD would be to be able to use the shield just like in “its brother” Knights of the Round (SNES), since in this game you can use the shield while you are walking.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: May 14, 2018, 07:07:03 pm »
Kid Kool with quicker momentum buildup.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4873 on: May 15, 2018, 12:05:35 pm »
Can't believe I'm actually coming to this thread with a legit idea... :D

This is less of a hack idea than a game project idea, but I just remembered the classic DOS game Sopwith, which I used to love back in my younger days. I've been hacking NES games for a little bit, and the idea of making a game myself from scratch seems interesting to me.

Here's the game for those whose are unfamiliar:
https://youtu.be/hBmRUg74EBw

It's a relatively simple game, and what's more, the source code has apparently been released by the original author. The game has already had source ports for modern systems, but I can't help getting interested in the idea of making a NES port which is as accurate as possible to the DOS original, while still adding some graphical and audio enhancements.

Now I just need to figure out how to start. Is it just nesdev and a 6502 compiler? :)

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #4874 on: May 15, 2018, 01:15:06 pm »
I tried this by following my notes but it wasn't super easy to do. I mean, it was, I can cycle through the characters by pressing select, but the sub weapons are messed up. Turns out there's only two slots to store which subweapon each of the characters is carrying, and you'd obviously need 4. So you'd need to map the rom and ram for unused space for new code to manage this, and 2 extra free ram bytes to store the 2 extra sub weapons.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4875 on: May 15, 2018, 01:45:25 pm »
Can't believe I'm actually coming to this thread with a legit idea... :D

This is less of a hack idea than a game project idea, but I just remembered the classic DOS game Sopwith, which I used to love back in my younger days. I've been hacking NES games for a little bit, and the idea of making a game myself from scratch seems interesting to me.

Here's the game for those whose are unfamiliar:
https://youtu.be/hBmRUg74EBw

It's a relatively simple game, and what's more, the source code has apparently been released by the original author. The game has already had source ports for modern systems, but I can't help getting interested in the idea of making a NES port which is as accurate as possible to the DOS original, while still adding some graphical and audio enhancements.

Now I just need to figure out how to start. Is it just nesdev and a 6502 compiler? :)

If there is a means to compile any high level language to something that runs on a 6502 then it is likely to be a proof of concept tool rather than something for actual use, much less for a real time graphical game. A 6502 assembler on the other hand.

But yes have some fun with the NES hardware listings and a means to generate code for it. Unlike most such endeavours you don't first have to spend to much time pulling the existing thing apart, though depending upon the age of the original project it too might have used X86 assembly or something extensively (such that I might consider looking at one of those ports you mention as they tend to clean it up as part of the porting process).

PhantomQuest

• View Profile
« Reply #4876 on: May 17, 2018, 01:23:40 pm »
I tried this by following my notes but it wasn't super easy to do. I mean, it was, I can cycle through the characters by pressing select, but the sub weapons are messed up. Turns out there's only two slots to store which subweapon each of the characters is carrying, and you'd obviously need 4. So you'd need to map the rom and ram for unused space for new code to manage this, and 2 extra free ram bytes to store the 2 extra sub weapons.

That's actually a pretty fair trade-off to be honest.

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: May 18, 2018, 10:22:21 am »
finish this hack improves Nes project demo to the complete game hack
It's Super Mario bros. 4 / World for 8_bits Famicom / Nes, great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkxwKOVtIqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7EH1MmZWDM

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 07:04:38 am by cartridge_rom »

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: May 18, 2018, 04:39:20 pm »
It's Super Mario bros. 4 / World for 8_bits Famicom / Nes, great
In my opinion, Super Mario World isn't really Super Mario Bros. 4. Sure, it may say so on the original Japanese box art, cartridge, etc., but the subtitle was dropped sometime later on. I guess Nintendo forgot to drop the SMB4 title before actually printing the art. I believe the SMB4 title is still very much open, especially here in the West. Indeed, the West has a different SMB2 than Japan. We know their SMB2 as Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: May 18, 2018, 10:17:38 pm »
I think the US cartoon may have used Super Mario Bros. 4 in its marketing at some point. I do have a commercial bumper calling itself "Captain N and Super Mario Bros. World".
I didn't watch Captain N originally but I read it was once an hour-long show later split into half-hour segments? Or was it more like two half hour episodes bridged together in original broadcast? (I think CBS had once ran Garfield and TMNT each in an hour format similarly.)
Well, regardless for its last season (and the last season NBC ran cartoons at all), "The New Adventures of Captain N" and Super Mario World was a shared half-hour timeslot.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018