News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1189049 times)

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4840 on: April 29, 2018, 10:19:28 pm »
On the subject of games based on anime, it would be fun if someone did Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken ("The Great Adventure of Dai" or "Dai's Great Adventure") into an actual thing, whether as a DQ series romhack or even OG game. The whole manga has been translated by fans (a woopin' 349 chapters), so all the story and even some stats are there to be of use.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: April 30, 2018, 12:15:40 am »
I read somewhere that somebody kinda already tried doing this by hacking the GBC bios,
I don't think that's even possible. As I understand what kept the GB/GBC BIOSes from even being dumped except by the most crafty people was that once the cart ROM starts the BIOS completely deactivates itself.
But all the BIOS can really do before it hides itself and runs the game is to initialize the palette? The BIOS could be hacked to tell the game its a SGB but I think would think it would probably just crash when a game tries to execute SGB features without the actual SNES/SGB hardware present.

Localized Pokemon Yellow has SGB palettes when run on GBC but I only imagine because the game was significantly reprogrammed in the localization process.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Maximus

• View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: May 01, 2018, 09:46:31 am »
Hello.

Would it be possible to insert the scrolling parallax into the battle screens from the Phantasy Star III japanese version or would it be easier to translate the original rom?

Oh my God!!! Prayers were heard ... :'( :'( :'(

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3984/

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: May 02, 2018, 08:46:29 am »
Mega Man X6, rebalancing the rescuing reploids/equipped parts system, and others:
- Rescued reploids don't give you extra lives. They probably intended this to balance the difficulty, but it makes you max out on 9 lives too easily at the start of the game and then, as they become more scarse, you end up with no benefits.
- Instead of the former, raise the number of lives you always start a continue with from 2 to 4.
- Dead reploids don't stay dead forever (can be found when reentering stage). So no parts are permanently missable.
- Start the game with Rank A, 500 souls collected. It's when you can start equipping 1 part. Basically: be able to equip a part as soon as you find one. Helps balancing the difficulty, and reduces the need of grinding.

shadowAOD

• View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: May 02, 2018, 09:42:58 am »
I'd like to see a rom hack of the first 3 resident evil games on ps1 with manual reload and skippable door loading scenes

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4845 on: May 02, 2018, 10:18:53 am »
Oh my God!!! Prayers were heard ... :'( :'( :'(

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3984/
It looks like from advanced conflict finder that this is compatible with PSIII Bugfix too!  Only a one byte conflict exists early in the ROM, which is probably a checksum thing.  :thumbsup:

EDIT: Hmm, I guess not.  I get a red screen. :-\
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:29:05 am by Chronosplit »

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations

speedy12

• View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: May 02, 2018, 08:10:27 pm »
a kingdom hearts snes rom use FF6 AS as start

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: May 02, 2018, 10:10:34 pm »
Did you try this?
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/342/
Oh, thanks for this tip!  I didn't realize this was a bigger issue in the Genesis.  I'm usually doing this kind of patch juggling more on other systems. XD

I didn't use the utility, but I used a similar function in Unipatcher and it's good to go.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: May 03, 2018, 11:32:36 pm »
Blades of Steel without any ice skating gameplay. A fight starts automatically, then shootout mode with the fight winner given a shot. If no score, back to fighting. The game ends whoever scores first in a shootout.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #4850 on: May 06, 2018, 07:10:54 am »
Solstice NES - SRAM Saving!

I've always loved Solstice for the NES, but for a game as large as it is it's pretty ridiculous that it doesn't have a saving function or even a password system. Obviously implementing a password system would be nearly impossible. How about someone with the skills make the game SRAM saving enabled? :)
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...
http://www.8bitfan.info/

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4851 on: May 06, 2018, 11:31:23 am »
Solstice NES - SRAM Saving!

Wouldn't it be easier to use save states? At least if it used passwords then saving could be easier, but adding SRAM may require a mapper change. I guess if someone wants it enough...

But wait, you've added SRAM saving to, what, six other games. Surely people should be asking YOU to do it? ;D

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: May 07, 2018, 01:48:17 am »
Wouldn't it be easier to use save states? At least if it used passwords then saving could be easier, but adding SRAM may require a mapper change. I guess if someone wants it enough...

But wait, you've added SRAM saving to, what, six other games. Surely people should be asking YOU to do it? ;D
LOL I've only done it to games that already have a password system ;D
I've actually been trying to figure out a way to add SRAM Saving to Blaster Master, but I haven't got a clue where I'd even start with a project like that as I'll need to add an 2nd option to LOAD GAME at the title screen, etc. ;)

But yeah, in all honesty, I HAVE been playing Solstice using save states ;)   ....just thought adding SRAM could be a nice touch for those that want to put it on a repro cart. :)

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: May 07, 2018, 11:45:33 am »
Wow, Solstice with sram! Great idea for a great game.
it would be nice if someone could add a shadow to the main character too.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: May 08, 2018, 02:08:55 pm »
Wow, Solstice with sram! Great idea for a great game.
it would be nice if someone could add a shadow to the main character too.
Yes! The omission of a shadow seems very strange for a game that appears to be meticulously developed. But then again, they also omitted a save/password system which this game kind of needs...  ;)

May 08, 2018, 04:13:42 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Here's another one: HeroQuest for the NES.

Since the PAL version is more or less the complete version, but playing that on an NTSC console would result in a less than enjoyable experience in the auditory department. What would entail porting the NTSC soundtrack to the PAL version? Or somehow slow down the music in the PAL version so that it plays right on an NTSC console?

So, hacking HeroQuest PAL to have the music play at the right speed on an NTSC console. :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 04:13:42 pm by 8.bit.fan »

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: May 09, 2018, 02:00:54 pm »
Other ideas:

- Super Double Dragon/Return of Double Dragon (SNES/SFC): to add intro and cutscenes (text and/or graphics)

- Firepower 2000 (SNES): to create a title screen just like the megadrive's one or to add the text "start button to play" and "select button to choose vehicle"

- Mega Man 3 (NES): a patch to fix ONLY the glitch of the select stage screen (the line above Shadow Man)

- Harvest Moon (SNES): english traslation fix

- PacMan (NES): a maze editor like blinky for Ms. PacMan

- Jurassic Park (SNES): save/password feature

- The King of Dragons (SNES): the manual shield option is not very responsive. I wonder if there is a way to fix it.

- The Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES): to fix the hit detection when you hit for the back the ninja enemy with a baby carriage at the beginning of level 5 and a shadow for the birds throwing bombs at the beginning of level 7

- Zombies ate my Neighbors (SNES/MEGADRIVE/GENESIS): to change weapons pausing the game
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 02:11:26 pm by mamertos »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: May 09, 2018, 03:31:03 pm »
- Mega Man 3 (NES): a patch to fix ONLY the glitch of the select stage screen (the line above Shadow Man)

I'm curious if you wrote this knowing of Mega Man 3 Improvement. Why wouldn't you take all the other fixes? There's even reduced slowdowns.

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: May 09, 2018, 03:54:04 pm »
I'm curious if you wrote this knowing of Mega Man 3 Improvement. Why wouldn't you take all the other fixes? There's even reduced slowdowns.

I just discover that hack you are talking about. Very good with a lot of cool improvement but unfortunately doesn't work in kachikachi, the NES Classic Mini emulator

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #4858 on: May 09, 2018, 04:04:39 pm »
Quote from: mamertos
- The King of Dragons (SNES): the manual shield option is not very responsive. I wonder if there is a way to fix it.
Never had any trouble with it. How is it not responsive exactly?
edit: Just tried the game again.
- if you press the shield button, it starts a timer and goes to defense stance. When the timer runs out it goes back to normal stance. If you keep tapping the shield button it never leaves the defense stance. Could change this to a simple hold/release.
- if you try to walk it won't use the shield, no matter what. you need to stand still. This I would remove. The shield should have priority, to be more intuitive. But if you already know to stand still, I don't think that's a problem.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 04:10:26 pm by nesrocks »

hossbags2

• View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: May 09, 2018, 04:43:53 pm »
Hack Forgotten Wolds on Sega Genesis to work with 6 button controller