News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 948805 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4520 on: December 26, 2017, 04:33:43 pm »
With Super Mario Land 2 DX being so impressive, it's natural to consider other GB titles which could benefit from this treatment.  Final Fantasy Adventure / Seiken Densetsu DX, anyone?  Although I think a great deal of the original games charm and atmosphere comes from its grayscale graphics, a colorized game with cut content added back in, and maybe a bonus area would be cool to see.
Actually, there's already a colorized old cellphone port.  It was Japan only.

I'm not sure how many colors are used in it, it may just be possible to recreate that port (if it's still available to play by any means, these older cell phone games sometimes just go poof).

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: December 26, 2017, 07:46:01 pm »
Jumping in to the GB DX craze, I would recommend the following games:
  • Kirby's Dreamland
  • Kirby's Dreamland 2
  • Super Mario Land (with a proper coloured title screen)
  • Castlevania Legends
  • Pokemon Yellow - This is the one that should have gotten the Gen 2 graphical uplift and the colourization instead of Pokemon Red, but whatevers :P

I feel like both Kirby games on the GB are in dare need of a DX version.
One could take the remake of KDL1 seen in Ultra Super Star for the DS to get the colours, and use KDL3 for inspiration for KDL2.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: December 26, 2017, 09:26:45 pm »
Kirby's Dream Land 2 has Super Game Boy enhancement colors going for it at least.

I'd like to see the Dark World in A Link to the Past with Light World aesthetics.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: December 26, 2017, 11:12:26 pm »
Kirby's Dream Land 2 has Super Game Boy enhancement colors going for it at least.

I'd like to see the Dark World in A Link to the Past with Light World aesthetics.
KDL2 does have some palettes going for it, but still, the main gameplay screen (not HUD) is bland af, even dare to say is still monochrome, but changing the "black & white" colours of the Gameboy for "some-color & white".
For example, one level might have yellow and white, another blue and white, etc, it doesn't have that kind of coloured level some games like Metroid II or Donkey Kong got from other hardware like the GBC or SGC.

Here's an example of what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2sueNFLjEg

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: December 26, 2017, 11:49:10 pm »
I understand, I was saying it's not in dire need compared to the other listed games. It's still a good idea. :)

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: December 27, 2017, 12:54:05 am »
  • Pokemon Yellow - This is the one that should have gotten the Gen 2 graphical uplift and the colourization instead of Pokemon Red, but whatevers :P

i also cant believe Pokemon Yellow didnt get the special treatment like Red/Blue.

wonder if it would be easy to adapt the R/B patch for Yellow?

also it needs a run button

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: December 27, 2017, 05:23:39 am »
As far as run goes don't you have a bike in the game? Patch a have bike cheat into it.

I am not sure what patch you are referring to. Pokemon red and blue got remade on the GBA as fire red and leaf green. I believe the GBC got some palettes made with red/blue in mind but they are in hardware. If yellow does not conform to one of those you might be able to go through the palettes/images in the game to attempt to make it work better with that. That would be quite a bit of work depending upon whether it is palette or image it keys off.

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: December 27, 2017, 09:15:32 am »
include new secret Cell # 17 absorbed character, use the ROM sprite of the krilin story mode as a mold to create the new sprite, apply attack pattern similar to the perfect cell and its powers, the patch would now have 12 characters available for the game Dragon ball Z Buyuretzuden for Genesis

Cell sprite NÂș17 absorbed
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 09:24:06 am by cartridge_rom »

retroverse

• View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: December 27, 2017, 09:51:15 am »
I feel like both Kirby games on the GB are in dire need of a DX version.

My thoughts exactly!  I think both Kirby GB games would benefit hugely from a similar colourisation/enhancement treatment to what Toruzz has done with SML2. 

Another GB game I'd like to see get the 'DX' treatment is the 1994 version of Donkey Kong - the game has some SGB enhancements, but from what I remember mostly in borders/static screens rather than the game itself.  Seeing the different environments from the expanded game and all the various animations in a 'full-colour' version would be awesome.

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: December 27, 2017, 11:11:57 am »

see finished these improvements hack for Final Fight 3 and Earthworm Jim 3 made by FuriousHedgehog look great for Nes

other great hack project improvements to hammer team port Super Fighter III :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 11:29:03 am by cartridge_rom »

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4530 on: December 27, 2017, 12:03:17 pm »
My thoughts exactly!  I think both Kirby GB games would benefit hugely from a similar colorization/enhancement treatment to what Toruzz has done with SML2. 

Another GB game I'd like to see get the 'DX' treatment is the 1994 version of Donkey Kong - the game has some SGB enhancements, but from what I remember mostly in borders/static screens rather than the game itself.  Seeing the different environments from the expanded game and all the various animations in a 'full-color' version would be awesome.

Same here, I definitely would like to see a DX color hack for Donkey Kong '94.

Other GB games I would like to see get the DX treatment is All Japan Pro Wrestling Jet, Burgertime Deluxe, Gargoyle's Quest 1 & 2, Mega Man V and Mole Mania.

I found this on deviantART, maybe this will help someone if they start a DX hack for SML:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:42:42 pm by SCD »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: December 27, 2017, 01:49:35 pm »
As far as run goes don't you have a bike in the game? Patch a have bike cheat into it.

I am not sure what patch you are referring to. Pokemon red and blue got remade on the GBA as fire red and leaf green. I believe the GBC got some palettes made with red/blue in mind but they are in hardware. If yellow does not conform to one of those you might be able to go through the palettes/images in the game to attempt to make it work better with that. That would be quite a bit of work depending upon whether it is palette or image it keys off.

Pokemon Red and Blue were probably like other first-party monochrome GB games: the GBC boot ROM loads a specifically defined palette (in place of the GBC's generic palettes) if it detects the game. But it's still a single palette for the whole game.
Japanese Yellow probably functions the game as it was also not a GBC-targeted game. Localized Yellow however, was changed to support the GBC by basically just using it to display the SGB palettes. (or approximately so, give or take considerations for the quality of the LCD)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: December 27, 2017, 04:08:59 pm »
Same here, I definitely would like to see a DX color hack for Donkey Kong '94.

Other GB games I would like to see get the DX treatment is All Japan Pro Wrestling Jet, Burgertime Deluxe, Gargoyle's Quest 1 & 2, Mega Man V and Mole Mania.

I found this on deviantART, maybe this will help someone if they start a DX hack for SML:

These sprites recolored look pretty good. For some reason, Daisy almost looks like Peach here.

PokePress

• View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: December 27, 2017, 09:31:24 pm »
Personally, I'd like to see a DX version of the original Wario Land-I was always bummed it didn't have SGB support having been released a few months before the peripheral. Other ideas:

-Game Boy Printer support (several of the DX games added this-sometimes it was just digitized art, but it would be thematically appropriate)
-Play as Waluigi (seeing as Luigi was added to SML2 DX). Maybe give him a different objective for what he wants with the money.
-More levels with treasures
-Extended ending where
Spoiler:
Mario takes the Peach statue back to Mario Land and puts it next to the Mario Zone statue. I always thought that was what he did with it.
-Better way to get enough coins for the best ending without having to grind or abuse the money minigame.
-More secret exits (I was always disappointed that the last three worlds don't have one). One that acts as a shortcut in Parsley Woods might be good.
-More places where the Bull and Dragon hats have advantages over the Jet hat.

Some of these are obviously (much) more difficult than others, but I figured I would throw everything out there.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: December 28, 2017, 12:52:19 am »
I am not sure what patch you are referring to. Pokemon red and blue got remade on the GBA as fire red and leaf green.

this one

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1385/

very great game, makes for a more nostalgic re-play than fire-red.

only thing that kinda sucks about it is it doesn't have a run button.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2222/

this hack gives Red a run button (and speeds up the bike)

cool hacks, too bad they dont work in conjunction

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: December 28, 2017, 02:27:56 am »
I would like to see a hack for the Japanese version of Metroid Fusion that will start the game in English mode, it's in the ROM, you just got to find it.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4536 on: December 28, 2017, 04:56:58 am »
I would like to see a hack for the Japanese version of Metroid Fusion that will start the game in English mode, it's in the ROM, you just got to find it.

Why not just play the English version? :o

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: December 28, 2017, 05:38:38 am »
The Japanese version added new content, they added a difficulty setting along with new ending images.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 06:16:54 am by SCD »

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #4538 on: December 28, 2017, 06:03:50 am »
Pokemon Red and Blue were probably like other first-party monochrome GB games: the GBC boot ROM loads a specifically defined palette (in place of the GBC's generic palettes) if it detects the game. But it's still a single palette for the whole game.
Japanese Yellow probably functions the game as it was also not a GBC-targeted game. Localized Yellow however, was changed to support the GBC by basically just using it to display the SGB palettes. (or approximately so, give or take considerations for the quality of the LCD)

Yellow's GBC enhancements are rather unfinished... The title screen has considerably deeper yellow than SGB, and improves Pikachu rosy cheeks. Hit or miss past that.

Dragoonglue

• View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: December 28, 2017, 08:44:11 am »
It would actually be better to enable a menu to select the language, as it has not only English but all the languages of the European release.