News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1384245 times)

dekutony

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4320 on: October 24, 2017, 07:02:36 pm »
There's this NES bootleg game called Q-Boy. You can't really play this game on every emulator because of the mapper. The mapper I think is a clone MMC3 or something. So I think it would be neat if there was a hack that uses a more compatible mapper since I've seen a lot of those hacks in the site. I want one just so I can play the game on anything including the Wii U/3DS Virtual Console via an injector.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: October 24, 2017, 09:26:06 pm »
I do know that Space Invaders apparently got an entirely separate SNES version to run from the GB cart when it was plugged into the Super Gameboy, but whether you can access that kind of functionality while in GB mode is a different story.
Most likely the SGB copies SNES program code into the SNES' RAM and then tells the CPU to run it.
I'm not sure how it compares to the SNES cart version. I'm imagine some similarity, given that the Super Famicom cartridge release (March 1994) came at nearly the same time as the western Game Boy version (summer 1994?).
However, the Japanese Game Boy version of Space Invaders was released in 1990, LONG before the Super Game Boy existed. (though I've seen scans of an old Nintendo of America retailer documentation binder suggesting the 1990 version was once planned for release in North America. Perhaps it better we didn't get that so we got the better 1994 version?)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: October 26, 2017, 07:40:42 am »
I would like to see a hack for the PSP & Wii ports of Dracula X: Rondo of Blood that will restore the original German narration back to the intro cutscene.

I also would like to see a hack for Metroid: Other M that gets rid of all the problems about the game to turn it into a actual good game as well.

I also would like to see a hack for Mario Kart Wii that fixes the major A.I. problems about this game as well.

I also would like to see a hack for the Wii remake of Klonoa that replaces the American voice tracks for the Japanese voice tracks and it also makes the game's difficulty to be on par with the original PSX version as well.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 02:07:26 pm by SCD »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: October 26, 2017, 10:55:26 am »
I also would like to see a hack for Metroid: Other M that gets rid of all the problems about the game to turn it into a good game as well.
Most of Other M's issues seems to be from a narrative stand point and some of Sakamoto's story choices.
I'd say that trimming a few cutscenes would be a good way to go, like removing the line which contradicts the Prime series and cutting down the whole PTSD shit with Ridley are a good starting point.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: October 26, 2017, 05:41:55 pm »
Not to mention a good reason not to turn on the heat protection before the lava run.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: October 26, 2017, 08:20:48 pm »
I haven't played it myself, but I watched Brainscratch Commentaries playing it,
would it be possible in addition to the other stuff, to fix the gimped controls and add Nunchuck support?
Sleepy's tune of the week|| 2 Mello - after midnight: unaired broadcasts || https://youtu.be/FKqLCJ4mStI

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: October 26, 2017, 10:45:12 pm »
Not to mention a good reason not to turn on the heat protection before the lava run.
Hey at least it doesn't last for too long :P
It's just that section then it is activated, but yeah it makes zero sense since the Varia Suit is not a hazard in any way, same for Gravity suit.

I haven't played it myself, but I watched Brainscratch Commentaries playing it,
would it be possible in addition to the other stuff, to fix the gimped controls and add Nunchuck support?
I'm watching it as well :)
I'd say adding Nunchuck support won't do much here since it will still be locked to 8 directional inputs instead of true analog control (at least I think so).

To me, this would fix Other M to make it decent enough:
  • Remove the line from the specific cutscene which ditches the Prime chronology
  • Add an option to avoid the First person sections, make everything move with the horizontal Wiimote and add a button combo for missiles to auto-direct them to the target required
  • Ditch the whole Ridley PTSD thing, doesn't make sense for Samus character seeing how she has fought Ridley for like the 6th time in this game (if we count Samus Returns now)
And that's it for me, the core gameplay is fine as it is and somewhat fast paced, perhaps changing the Adam mechanic would help but I have no good ideas on how to change it without a complete rework of the main game.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: October 27, 2017, 03:13:40 am »
Yeah, I've been watch the playthrough by the BrainScratchComms crew as well. That's where I got the idea of someone should fix up Other M from, the game had potential but Sakamoto ruined it because of his ego.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: October 27, 2017, 02:56:14 pm »
It's a great question, but needs more technical expertise than I could begin to dream.
I don't know the limits on what SNES code/data can go through the Super Gameboy.
What would we even gain from this anyway?  Usually when someone picks a Game Boy for homebrew or chiptune music it's because of the specific sound capabilities.

One can argue Pokemon but we have remakes with their own big hacking communities for that (yeah I know, GBA big whoop, but things have been done to help overcome the audio problems with Pokemon).

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: October 27, 2017, 06:19:18 pm »
Speaking of chiptunes, I have hope someone would do this one day: Make a chiptune version of a song found in the Sailor Moon Another Story soundtrack since it never got used in the actual game and insert it to the ending credits, replacing Moonlight Densetsu for the end. I was disappointed when there was no 16 bit version of that song, Sunshine Moonlight (or karaoke of it either).

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #4330 on: October 27, 2017, 08:31:47 pm »
What would we even gain from this anyway?  Usually when someone picks a Game Boy for homebrew or chiptune music it's because of the specific sound capabilities.

One can argue Pokemon but we have remakes with their own big hacking communities for that (yeah I know, GBA big whoop, but things have been done to help overcome the audio problems with Pokemon).

A freaky mixed breed. GB games with MSU-1 FMVs and music, on top of the regular SNES enhancements.

Pokemon music isn't that bad relatively speaking. GB Megaman 2 sounds much worse.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: October 27, 2017, 10:43:07 pm »
A freaky mixed breed. GB games with MSU-1 FMVs and music, on top of the regular SNES enhancements.

Pokemon music isn't that bad relatively speaking. GB Megaman 2 sounds much worse.
I guess those making demos could make use of FMVs to pull off wacky stuff?  I can only ever see proof of concept things from it otherwise, as it would be rooted to the SGB either way.   :huh:

I meant that Pokemon would have a viable MSU-1 track listing already via remixes or remakes.  GSC's park is still one of fhe most chill tracks ever.  Only others I can think of would be SaGa, Final Fantasy Adventure, and anything Zelda.

standigz

• View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: October 28, 2017, 05:30:06 pm »
I started playing Zelda II (FDS version) and I was reminded that it has animated water while the American cartridge version does not.  It's a rather minor enhancement but having animated water in the American version would certainly be a good touch

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: October 28, 2017, 10:24:37 pm »
I imagine that the FDS version is rewriting the tile each frame (to VRAM).
Since (I think) Zelda II NES is a CHR-ROM game, it might be more difficult but possible since I think Zelda II does not use all of its CHR-ROM banks.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

bad_goy

• View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: October 29, 2017, 04:53:39 am »
A ROM hack for the SNES version of Smash TV that retains all the violence and gore.

jwinder

• View Profile
« Reply #4335 on: October 29, 2017, 05:43:22 pm »
Does anyone know of a patch for FF3/6 that does not switch to the battle theme & fanfare on random encounters? I'm looking for a patch that does only this but can't find one.

I played the brave new world version a while ago, which has this feature. It was much more enjoyable to have continuous background music in many of the sections as it helps to maintain the overall tone very nicely.

Mrstealth85

• View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: October 29, 2017, 07:20:07 pm »
I would really like a hack of Mega Man 8 (preferably of the Saturn version which has all the extra goodies) that adds the Japanese voices back in with English subtitles. I know it's possible due to there being two Spanish fan translations that do exactly that, but I would obviously like it in a language I understand.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: October 29, 2017, 08:26:37 pm »
Does anyone know of a patch for FF3/6 that does not switch to the battle theme & fanfare on random encounters? I'm looking for a patch that does only this but can't find one.

I played the brave new world version a while ago, which has this feature. It was much more enjoyable to have continuous background music in many of the sections as it helps to maintain the overall tone very nicely.
Only background music hacks I can think of are lowering the river water volume and altering the Opera House to have the more muted track when entering.

jwinder

• View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: October 29, 2017, 10:02:59 pm »
Only background music hacks I can think of are lowering the river water volume and altering the Opera House to have the more muted track when entering.
These are the only ones I've been able to find. Unfortunately I don't have a windows machine, and I wasn't able to get the FF3UsMe application to work on my mac. It's been a long time since I've done any assembly programming, but I might have to look into it and see if I can get a patch file together.

Thanks!

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: October 29, 2017, 10:14:53 pm »
I would really like a hack of Mega Man 8 (preferably of the Saturn version which has all the extra goodies) that adds the Japanese voices back in with English subtitles. I know it's possible due to there being two Spanish fan translations that do exactly that, but I would obviously like it in a language I understand.

Same here, along with restoring the Japanese voices back to the Sega Saturn port of Mega Man X4 as well.

I also want someone to restore the Japanese voices back to the cutscenes of the American version of Strider 2 as well.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 11:28:34 pm by SCD »