News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1382947 times)

julayla

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4260 on: October 08, 2017, 09:03:05 pm »
Speaking of Mario Party, the first one needs to fix those "twirl the controllers to control certain minigames" bit on a few of them. Like when doing the tug-o-war based one for example.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: October 08, 2017, 09:53:16 pm »
Well, Tug-o-War is confirmed to reappear in the upcoming Top 100 game for Nintendo 3DS, so let's wait until the new control scheme is confirmed before adapting it to the N64 version.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: October 09, 2017, 12:28:34 am »
Another thing that should be done to Mario Party 1 is someone should restore the "Oh My God!" voice tracks back to both Luigi & Wario.

I also want to see someone add those voice tracks to those two in Mario Party 2 along with restoring the original guns for the Western Land ending and Professor Fungi's pipe as well.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:03:39 am by SCD »

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: October 09, 2017, 04:53:25 pm »
Here's an idea,

So, anybody who doesn't already hate Sonic Adventure with a burning passion probably already knows the glory of it's incredibly overzealous physics engine, however in game it's never really utilized in any environment that can take full advantage of it's wonkiness, so what I propose is,

we scrap every character except the hedgehog,
scrap all the levels,

and turn the entire thing into a trick-game where you get points for pulling off stunts and exploiting physics, make entirely new skate-park like levels based on levels form other Sonic games and other racing/speed games, we could have goal rings that only trigger with a certain amount of points or make pulling certain stunts, getting to a location the goal.
Sleepy's tune of the week|| 2 Mello - after midnight: unaired broadcasts || https://youtu.be/FKqLCJ4mStI

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: October 09, 2017, 05:51:43 pm »
Here are some romhacking wishes of mine:

1. DOOM (GBA) - PC Conversion Pack: Same hack as KippyKip's PC Conversion Pack for DOOM II GBA.

2. Wolfenstein 3D (GBA) - PC Conversion & Improvement Pack: Same hack as KippyKip's PC Conversion Pack for DOOM II GBA. It should also count as a improvement hack that includes the missing quick save feature, and missing music.

3. Duke Nukem Advance (GBA)  - Classic 3-D Style: Since this is an original Duke Nukem game, it would be nice if it had graphics from the original Duke Nukem 3-D.

4. DOOM (SNES) - DOS to SNES Conversion: a hack that uncensores everything, changes the graphics, color palettes, and resolution to resemble the DOS version more closely, bugfixes everything from the SNES version, and adds any content that was cut from the final version, or wasn't included in the SNES version.

5. Super Smash T.V. (SNES) - Classic Arcade Edition: a hack that makes the game resemble closely to the original, Williams/Midway arcade cabinet, Smash T.V.

6. Metroid II (Game Boy) - mOTHER-Style: when I say "mOTHER", I meant that NES hack that adds many features, like a built-in map when you pause, and several other ASM hacks to Metroid (NES). A hack like that one would be nice for Metroid II, since it needs it completely.

7. Metal Gear (NES) - MSX to NES Conversion: a hack that makes the NES port as close to the MSX version as possible. An attempt was made in the past, but the progress has been put in an indefinite status that nobody knows what happened to the author, or why he decided to halt the project.

8. Mother 1+2 (GBA) - Title Screen Makeover & QOL Hack: this hack involves the title screen and menu of Mother 1+2. Honestly, it looks a bit boring. Here's how I picture it:

• the background color of the title screen should be black;
  • the number two of the Mother 1+2 logo should be colored red;
  • there should be an animated planet Earth moving either at the top, or the bottom of the logo;
  • there should be a "Press Start" option at the title screen;
  • and during the game selection menu, the sprites of the cartridges should be full, instead of halved like how it looks right now.

This hack should also give the user the option to press B to go back to the game selection menu every time somebody is on the title screen of the selected game, kinda like how a player does in the Super Mario Advance GBA series and Mario & Luigi - Superstar Saga (considering that the majority of them are not one, but two games bundled in one cart; the second game being Mario Bros.).

Also, every time a player wishes to "End" the game via one of those famous Telephone Calls, that player should return to the Mother 1+2 Title Screen. Some black, fade away, transitions to these "Go Back" options would be nice. This hack should also serve as an addendum for any other Mother 1+2 related hack.

9. Mother 1+2 (GBA) - Music & Sound Restoration Hack: a hack that restores the music & sounds of Mother 1+2, as close as its original versions. Is possible that Mother 2 GBA's music & sounds can be rearranged as close to its original version, Earthbound (SNES)/Mother 2 (GBA), via GBAMusRipper, Sappy 2003, or any other existing (if any) GBA music hacking tool. However, to this day, it is still unknown if the music & sounds of Mother GBA can be hacked. This hack should also serve as an addendum for any other Mother 1+2 related hack.

10. Mother 1+2 (GBA) - DX Edition: "ported" hacks. These hacks are DragonDePlatino's Mother 25th Anniversary Edition hack (Earthbound Beginnings/Earthbound Zero/Earth Bound [NES] hack), and ShadowOne333’s MaternalBound Omega (Final) hack (Earthbound [SNES] hack), but for Mother 1+2. The latter will have to wait once Jeffman is done finishing a tool that helps translate Mother 2 GBA in English.

11. Yoshi's Island DS (NDS) - Classic Edition: This hack should replace all the sprites and color palettes of the game with the classic ones of Yoshi's Island GBA. It should also make the controls a bit more accurate, considering that, even though it was for the DS, they weren't as tight as Yoshi's Island.

12. Donkey Kong - Original Edition (NES) - Faithful Hack: a hack that makes the NES port of Donkey Kong as faithful to the original arcade version, if possible.

13. Kirby - Nightmare in Dreamland (GBA) and Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (GBA) - Life Saver: a hack that saves any 1UP's that Kirby has collected, a lá Yoshi's Island GBA. Is a common nuisance that every time you turn off, or reset a Kirby game, the lives that he always collects don't get saved in the SRAM. I don't know if this happens in all Kirby games, be it old or new, though.

14. Croc - Legend of the Gobbos (PSX) and Croc 2 (PSX) - Better Controls Hack: a hack that adds six axis movements, and makes use of the PlayStation joysticks.

15. Bubsy (In Claws Encounter of the Furred Kind) (SNES, Sega Genesis) & Bubsy 2 (SNES, Sega Genesis) - No More Easy Death: this hack should aim to get rid of the falling death mechanic, and it should also improve the enemies hitboxes.

16. Bubsy 3D (PSX) - Purrfection Edition: as crazy as it sounds, this might end up being a huge project. This hack should aim to fix the controls, so Bubsy can move on a six axis movement, plus make use of the PlayStation joysticks. It should add camera hacks, where players could have better camera controls. Better hitboxes for enemies. Better layouts. Better ways to find collectibles, even the ones that are harder to find. A much better way to defeat bosses. And music that would be decent and easy to stomach.

17. The rest of the Classic NES Series/Famicom Mini Series (GBA) - Fixed Edition: I'll explain this one: as far as knowledge goes, to many people, these line of emulated games are considered some of the most inferior ports ever made.

The image feels stretched out and blurry, and the music sounds incredibly weird. I know that this is due to the fact that it's suppose to work in favor of the limitations of the GBA, but even the NES emulators that existed during the GBA flash cart days (like PocketNES), made the games run much decently.

If one were to hack the NES Classic line of GBA games, I would prefer if they "de-stretched" the games, so it could fit an appropriate aspect ratio, kinda like how Mother GBA looks in Mother 1+2. If they can't do an aspect ratio like that, than they should try making a 4:3 aspect ratio similar to their Virtual Console versions, like the 3DS VC.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #4265 on: October 09, 2017, 08:30:58 pm »
I was pretty sure the nes donkey kong hack existed, but couldn't find much info about it. https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1307/

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: October 09, 2017, 09:07:05 pm »
4. DOOM (SNES) - DOS to SNES Conversion: a hack that uncensores everything, changes the graphics, color palettes, and resolution to resemble the DOS version more closely, bugfixes everything from the SNES version, and adds any content that was cut from the final version, or wasn't included in the SNES version.
Wasn't the DOS version running at a higher resolution than what the SNES supports?
At least in normal resolution. Sure you probably could do high resolution but do you want a lower framerate? (is what I imagine would happen? :P )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: October 10, 2017, 12:10:53 am »
According to the Doom Wiki, the original Doom's native resolution is 320x200. The SNES, in comparison, is 256x240 (ignoring the overscan antics).

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4268 on: October 10, 2017, 01:19:04 am »
According to the Doom Wiki, the original Doom's native resolution is 320x200.

Well yeah, it's VGA. If you wanted 256 colours, you're stuck with 320x200. The resolution on the SNES looks even worse because it doesn't fill the screen. If you want higher res on PC, you need a modern source port, as vanilla Doom never supported anything else.

I was pretty sure the nes donkey kong hack existed, but couldn't find much info about it. https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1307/

It's not a hack, it's an official Nintendo product, released first on selected Wii consoles, then on 3DS. But it has made its way online as a NES ROM (in fact, my internet search on the topic found KingMike discussing it on another forum :) ).

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: October 10, 2017, 01:24:19 am »
Here's an idea,

So, anybody who doesn't already hate Sonic Adventure with a burning passion probably already knows the glory of it's incredibly overzealous physics engine, however in game it's never really utilized in any environment that can take full advantage of it's wonkiness, so what I propose is,

we scrap every character except the hedgehog,
scrap all the levels,

and turn the entire thing into a trick-game where you get points for pulling off stunts and exploiting physics, make entirely new skate-park like levels based on levels form other Sonic games and other racing/speed games, we could have goal rings that only trigger with a certain amount of points or make pulling certain stunts, getting to a location the goal.

Which hedgehog? When you said "hedgehog", did you mean Sonic or Amy? Me personally, I'd scrap all characters (Sonic included) and start fresh if I were to do this.

lostminstrel

• View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: October 10, 2017, 05:35:48 am »
Hello, I'm new.

I have a (what I'm hoping is not too ambitious) hack I'd like to try to do myself, but don't know how to start.

I want to fix the English translation of the SNES Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen. There are some minor mistakes and sloppy language for anyone unfamiliar with the SNES release. My experience in this area is limited to changing the text in "The Elder Scrolls: Arena" using a hex-editor. Something tells me, this will be more difficult (the various components of TES: Arena had been extracted for me already).

And, more ambitiously, I want to see if I can get the game's special characters to retrain their unique colour palettes upon class change, similar to the PSX release. For those unfamiliar with the game, special characters have a unique colour palette in their "starting class", but have the same colour palette as a generic character upon class change.

^ My idea to make the above possible would be to make "unique classes" for all special characters who are capable of class change, and have those classes use the unique colour palettes of those characters. For example, the Knight named Lans would be given his own class tree, exactly the same as a generic male character, only this class tree's classes would all use the "Lans colour" palette. I would still need a way to restrict generic characters from it. Maybe make each special character their own gender?

But... I have no idea how to create classes or do any of this stuff. I know others have made balance and difficulty mods of this game, which are (from my uninitiated viewpoint) more difficult. I'm hoping the above will be "easy".  :P

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: October 10, 2017, 05:56:59 am »
With the recent release of Chrono Trigger+ for Snes on RHDN, I propose a add-on to it (with the author's permission and someone with the know-how) to add in the DS content at some later date, and including the animated scenes in MSU-1 format (since it is possible). Thus surpassing both the PS1 and DS versions of Chrono Trigger, but the downside is that the DS version had nicer menu graphics..but that is just a matter of taste of really.

Should all of this be possible (hopefully), It will make it the ultimate romhack for Chrono Trigger. I had similar ideas for FF6, but I already mentioned about that long time ago.
==============================

Another idea which I can't believe I never thought of till now, but it would be cool to see Monster Medal Dungeon in Dragon Quest 3 for SNES (just without collecting the medals..because that part of the game on GBC sucked ass). I would think it's just of matter of using the DQ3's existing graphics with just few custom graphics and color swapping as well for the monsters.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 06:13:22 am by Kallisto »

foiopaulo

• View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: October 10, 2017, 08:39:06 am »
Hacks I think it would be great:

- Demon's Crest hack. ANY kind of hack that gives a little bit more story and replay value to the game.
- Super Metroid hack (I know that there are A LOT of these) that you play with a different character. It would be a gfx/story hack.
- Megaman X4 de-make to SNES (of course, with all the cuts that should be made)
- Street Fighter II with Street Fighter Alpha 3 gfx (a long time ago, I heard a rumor that it existed, but never found it)

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: October 10, 2017, 09:31:33 am »
Any chance someone could re-activate lock-on in the official Star Fox 2 release?
It's too cool a feature to get discarded like that.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: October 10, 2017, 12:38:31 pm »
Last night I had a neat idea during a conversation about Metroid Other M:
1. Take Super Metroid (+ GBA Style for the sake of stability and add option to change between Super's awkward physics and GBA's), fix the diagonal shot.
2. Add in some of the Metroid Other-M features like Diffusion Beam.
3. In terms of story there's gonna be details I will explain at the end.
4. Few text will be used, mostly on the introductory process of the game.
5. Probably no Zero Suits section

For
Spoiler:
Her abilities loss would happen differently. Due to the Hyper Beam, her Power Suit's Systems would be overloaded and crash upon itself. In the intro, it would be shown as her fighting Mother Brain after the Baby saved her, then the game would seemingly freeze and glitch, before a white flash clears the screen, showing the following text afterwards:
Code: [Select]
Power Suit online
Checking sub-systems...
Power Beam - Online
Morph Ball - Online
Missile - Online
CRITICAL ERROR!!!

One or more sub-systems were damaged during system overload. Attempting to recover data...
Recovery failed.

Accessing reserves...
Energy Tanks - 1
Missile Expansion - 1

Booting up Combat Visor...

Then Samus wakes up inside a lab, being told by a scientist that she passed out when attempting to demonstrate to researchers how the Hyper Beam functions. Afterwards, she is assigned a task: Board the Btottle ship, find and secure Dr Madeline Bergman.

Interactions with other characters would be minimal, the part where she freaks out against Ridley could be performed similar to how she got stunned by Mother Brain in Super, and Anthony Higgs intervention could be optional (Mash B to try and get up, for example)

w1ck3d

• View Profile
« Reply #4275 on: October 11, 2017, 10:02:49 am »
Any chance someone could re-activate lock-on in the official Star Fox 2 release?
It's too cool a feature to get discarded like that.

According to a couple comments I've read, it's now an upgrade you collect later in the game.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: October 11, 2017, 07:23:31 pm »
Well, I meant the blue anthropomorphic sawblade obviously :P He's really the only one broken enough to be fun,
I started thinking of it while fucking around in Station Square, You can ramp off various slopes there to get insane air that let's you get out of bounds or start wallrunning on the buildings, it's pretty fun for awhile, I really don't like the other characters because they just handle poorly or are too slow, I think Amy in particular had huge problems holding momentum and Big/E-02 just got stuck on shit or kept slipping off platforms.
Sleepy's tune of the week|| 2 Mello - after midnight: unaired broadcasts || https://youtu.be/FKqLCJ4mStI

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: October 12, 2017, 05:20:00 am »
I would like to see hacks for both Sonic Adventure & Sonic Adventure International for the Dreamcast that will restore the Cowgirl neon sign for the Casnopolis stage along with giving all the characters their DX models.

RetroProf

• View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: October 12, 2017, 02:47:38 pm »
Shadowrun (SNES)

Create a utility that expands the ROM and allows addition of dialogue responses to keywords which previously had no response.

Was playing it today on my SNES Mini Classic, and I'd forgotten how many key words you get for dialogue, and how the majority yield the same "I don't know" reply from NPCs. In addition, how obtuse all the puzzles are. I actually tried to see if there was any clue that you should give the tired man an iced tea, and there is none. Players would only have done that out of frustration, by trying every item on everyone. I knew to do it because I had a guide back in the day.

Got me thinking, a cool hack would be a utility that allows additional proper responses to the majority of keywords. You'd simply need to find the pointer that directs the game to load up the generic response, and then have it go to a fresh body of text for that specific keyword used on that specific NPC.

You could end up doubling the game's script, allowing players to wallow in the Shadowrun's rich lore, and peppering in little clues to help new players.

Imagine just in the game's first area, the woman outside the club could mention hearing screams from the graveyard. The bartender could mention the tired man had tickets and likes ice tea. Various Shadowrunners when asked about firearms, or lone star, could mention the shady guy who sells grenades and the lone star badge, and they could give directions on finding him.

Plus all the flavour text you could add. Stuff to make the game world seem richer.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #4279 on: October 12, 2017, 09:20:56 pm »
I think it would be better if keywords not relevant to a dialogue were toggled off during them since the list is annoyingly long after a while, but some new responses might be cool.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.