News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2417880 times)

RealGaea

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3720 on: March 28, 2017, 08:09:50 pm »
I know what you mean. They could give all of the Robot Masters new larger sprites but not Proto Man? It's just weird.

Not resize Protoman? That was weird. I know WW was a rushed game. Full of bugs (some of them fixed in this forum).
I think the Robot Masters' size was acceptable.

TonyBiH

• View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: March 29, 2017, 08:27:02 am »
It would be nice if someone make little patch for Pokemon Yellow for more realistic Pikachu voice for gb. Now we have buzzing sound. I don't think emulator is problem but more some addon in Gameboy original hardware that we don't have in sole rom.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: March 29, 2017, 01:53:38 pm »
It probably is your emulator, honestly. Most versions of Visual Boy Advance have the wave channel (which the Pikachu voices use) turned way the hell down for some stupid reason. It sounds better on other emulators--still fuzzy, but that's the Game Boy's sound limitations and not the emulator messing up.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #3723 on: March 29, 2017, 09:19:11 pm »
Just had a question about rom hacking in general, this looks like a good topic to ask, rather than start a new thread.

Basically, I'm just getting started in rom hacking, understanding all the general terms, and fiddling around with some values in hex, trying to understand asm instructions. I just started in SNES, and have done very light edits, like changing sprite color and text in-game. What I want to know is how different is rom hacking across different systems? Is hacking roms in SNES very different from playstation, or N64, or is it pretty similar?

thnx
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

RandomHeretic

• View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: March 29, 2017, 09:35:47 pm »
Comment removed.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 04:02:58 pm by RandomHeretic »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: March 29, 2017, 10:28:13 pm »
It's only in rare circumstances that knowledge can carry over to another platform.

Ports and remakes are inherently completely different in some ways too, so don't expect another version to have something familiar right off (that's probably one reason why SMB3 GBA almost never gets messed with, in spite of having a gajillion things to work with due to E-Readers).

TonyBiH

• View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: March 30, 2017, 03:19:35 am »
@Midna
Thank's for suggestion maybe is VBA, i will try other emulators. Maybe some other fan of Pikachu, like me, find this issue worth fixing untill then BGB would have to do.  :thumbsup:

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: March 30, 2017, 05:37:34 pm »
I got just the idea: MSU-1 of the Sailor Moon games!

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: April 02, 2017, 01:31:09 pm »
Super nitpicky request, but I would like to see a title screen hack of "NES Open Tournament Golf" to use the title/logo of either the Japanese release (Mario Open Golf) or the PC-10 release (Mario's Open Golf).

Basically I just want that classic Mario typeface on the title screen to make it the game feel more like a proto entry in the Mario Golf series.

Took a look in TileLayePro and could not spot any easily discernable titles.

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: April 03, 2017, 01:55:07 am »
Here's 2 ideas I had floating around:

Final Fantasy Legend III: Expand the rom, and improve the script so it actually makes sense in English. The story is actually really good but it's marred by having to crunch everything down into impossibly small sentences. Also add Monsters/Beastmen/Cyborgs/Robots past level 30. It's pretty awkward that after a certain point you're better off switching back to a full Human/Mutant team instead of keeping the diversity you most likely had the whole game.

Final Fantasy IX: For a game that's supposed to be hearkening back to the early days of Final Fantasy, it's criminal that they didn't include a Red Mage type character. Even moreso that they've got *TWO* White Mage/Summoner types. Honestly I'd make one of them into more of a Red Mage type, or possible change Freya to utilize Red Magic instead of her baked in skills.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: April 03, 2017, 11:30:47 am »
A hack for Ocarina of Time which would do two things:

1) Add the Iron and Hover boots to a button input, so that you can equip them with a single button press instead of going to the menu each time.
2) Hack the Bunny Hood to have the same effect as it does on Majora's Mask, where it makes you run faster as Young Link instead of just being a pretty head gear.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 11:52:51 am by ShadowOne333 »

Reichu

• View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: April 06, 2017, 01:28:43 pm »
No idea if these have been mentioned or not (I'm rather new), but:

(A) Patch for Xenogears to try to make the translation a bit more coherent in places, fix a number of the proper noun romanizations, etc. Some of the more glaring problems have been documented, but I don't think they've ever been implemented into a mod for the game.

(B) Saga Frontier - It's no secret that this game is a bit rough around the edges. I love it to pieces regardless. Attempting to reintegrate some of the deleted (or kinda there but not really) content would make for a most tantalizing project. One completely and utterly beyond my means, but it's fun to think about regardless.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: April 07, 2017, 12:28:50 am »
A patch for SMT Strange Journey that allows Demon Sources to stay even after using in fusion and corrects Sun Wu Kong's "Mistress Jimenez" to "Mamma Aleph" or "Master Jimenez" could be something interesting to do.

Also a patch for Legacy of Ys that fixes the "Item Get" by making the item image show on screen instead of only when sliding out of screen, as well as correcting Temple of Salmon to Temple of Solomon.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 03:33:20 pm by Tsukiyomaru0 »

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: April 07, 2017, 12:52:10 am »
I may have said it multiple times, but I'd really like to see colorized versions of the Game Boy Mega Man games. In addition would be changing the title screens to say "Mega Man World" for each of them, much like the Roll Chan World hacks have, but be GBC Roms instead. I know I'd completely mess up trying to use the Game Boy Colorizer.

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: April 09, 2017, 08:56:52 pm »
A hack that adds new levels or gameplay mechanics into Mischief Makers would be cool, they don't even need to tie into the story, you could just tack them on as bonus levels after the credits or first level.

Alternately, can we just play as the Beastectors?

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3735 on: April 10, 2017, 01:00:08 am »
That would be a neat idea.

Another hack I would like to see for that game is one that would replace all the English voice tracks with the Japanese voice tracks.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 06:31:23 am by SCD »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: April 10, 2017, 10:06:39 am »
No idea if these have been mentioned or not (I'm rather new), but:

(A) Patch for Xenogears to try to make the translation a bit more coherent in places, fix a number of the proper noun romanizations, etc. Some of the more glaring problems have been documented, but I don't think they've ever been implemented into a mod for the game.

(B) Saga Frontier - It's no secret that this game is a bit rough around the edges. I love it to pieces regardless. Attempting to reintegrate some of the deleted (or kinda there but not really) content would make for a most tantalizing project. One completely and utterly beyond my means, but it's fun to think about regardless.
A. There was 2.0 but it never addressed the actual script, just the FMVs.  It would make a great base at least.

B. Look towards Japan.  Most SaGa series modding is across the ocean, Frontier has had a number of attempts to add the scrapped episode for example.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: April 10, 2017, 11:23:44 am »
An editor for Einhänder!
If you're going to fiddle with shmups, might as well fiddle with the best.

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: April 11, 2017, 09:41:28 am »
Ranma ½ Bakuretsu Rantou - Hen (Japan)

- change title of entry for the best letter europe version (photo)
- new integral translation of the original Japanese game (new typography)
- plus we will have the original pure game, with the voices of the original anime, better sound

TMNT Mutant Warriors (Japan)

- new integral translation of the original Japanese game (new typography)
- plus original pure game, better sound voices, uncensored

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: April 11, 2017, 10:03:09 am »
Hmmm, how's this for an idea? Adventure Time in Sonic the Hedgehog. I wouldn't mind seeing Finn or Jake in that type of setting