News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2407075 times)

strbdg

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3540 on: January 07, 2017, 09:16:37 pm »
Hello!

New here, and signed up to ask this particular question: is anyone working on translating any of the Angelique games? Someone was translating it years ago but apparently it was dropped with no explanation as to why. It'd be a bummer to let it go untranslated.

marioxb

• View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: January 07, 2017, 09:40:51 pm »
Possible to mod NES Donkey Kong Classics into Donkey Kong Classics: Original Edition, meaning it's DK Classics (DK+ DK Jr.) with the added changes fo the Wii/3DS port, Donkey Kong: Original Edition?

Zeikar

• View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: January 07, 2017, 09:55:26 pm »
I've got an idea.....

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: January 08, 2017, 01:15:34 am »
Possible to mod NES Donkey Kong Classics into Donkey Kong Classics: Original Edition, meaning it's DK Classics (DK+ DK Jr.) with the added changes fo the Wii/3DS port, Donkey Kong: Original Edition?
Not without a mapper hack.
DKC and DKCOE are both CNROM. (using CNROM was basically just enough for Nintendo to glue DK + DKJr. together)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: January 08, 2017, 09:58:18 am »
I would like to see a major overhaul hack for Star Fox Adventures that would get rid of all the Star Fox content and turn the game into what it originally suppose to be, Dinosaur Planet.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:28:19 am by SCD »

MethidMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: January 08, 2017, 09:22:52 pm »
hi, first post..

I've been playing nintendo world cup, and I'm trying to figure a way to change the in-game clock. there are no options in the game, but there are some game-genie and PAR codes floating around...

anyways, i decided it would be better just hack it so I don't have to fool around with those silly devices (plus i can't really use GG on my system anyways, and the PAR code is almost useless).

is it even possible to do a hack that changes the time in the game from 4 minutes per half to, say, 1 minute?  or maybe keep it at 4 minutes but make it run about 4 times faster?

as you can probably guess i have no skills with roms   ;)

i don't want to get ahead of myself, but there are some really cool hacks on this site and other that updated the uniforms and rosters for a lot of the players... it would be really cool to add a time hack to one  of those versions... and maybe speed up all players too! wow that'd be fun

anybody have any comments? is any of this possible?

There's a way you can hardcode game genie codes into a game so that it'll always have the code permanently altered in the game without having to use devices. There's a program called Game Genie Guy that does this.

If you're planning on playing on real hardware, make sure you also download uCON64 for checksum correction.

Ness

• View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: January 10, 2017, 07:15:12 am »
Idea: A Mega Man character hack (preferably either MM2,3 or 4) in which you play as the Mega Man 10 version of Bass, with the same moves.
I was playing MM10 as Bass for the first time recently and thought it was excellent, make it feels like a complete different game:

His abilities in MM10:
- Slide-jump : perform a jump during a slide and the leap will be bigger, faster. Think of how Buster plays in Tiny Toons Adventure, same thing. Tons of fun and potential for speedrunning.
- Sliding, but doesn't make you smaller, so in some cases it might require level design chances to accomodate
- aim in 7 directions, every direction but straight down. However you can't move while shooting, the d-pad changes the direction when shooting.
- Continueous shooting when holding the shoot button. 4 shots per screen at a time. However shots are a bit weaker, for instance an enemy that dies in 1 hot with Mega takes 2 with Bass, etc 1 shot still counts as 1 HP for a Boss though.
- No R Coil or R Jet; instead one item, the Jetpack. Check MM10 for precise behaviour of the Jetpack and of shooting when using it, there is a little more to it.

Not only this character hack would completely change how a MM game plays, without changing any enemy and any (barely) level design, but it could also be used as a base for level hacks.

I know there are 2 Bass hacks already made on NES, but they were made before MM10 came out and apparently he plays just like Mega Man, only the graphics changed.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:31:17 am by Ness »

Kronoan

• View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: January 10, 2017, 10:02:30 pm »
 Hi, this is for Dragon Warrior II for the NES. I noticed that apparently because of the way the game works, Level Ups that exceed 65535 EXP needed give a "fake" Level Up before finishing off the real Level Up. I was wondering, does anyone know enough about coding to edit the EXP needed and the Max Level Caps for the 3 Characters so Levels can exceed the normal game, so the Prince of Cannock and Princess of Moonbrooke can get higher Level Caps than they have and gain more Stats? I guess Stats data would have to be added, but they can just take more Levels of some of the best stat gains they already had ... On a related note, is there any way to edit the 255 Cap for all Stats? Maybe use 2 or 4 Bytes or whatever to allow up to 999? Is there any free memory available in the game? Also, is there a way to fix the treasure chests that don't contain the Items that they should (The Wizard's Ring in the tower where the Cloak of Wind is found)?

Also,  Hey, I'd like an Item Editor at least because I want to edit the Attack/Weapon Power of the Staff of Thunder to 16 instead of 15. I'd love it if there's a Mass Editor like Roto's one for Dragon Warrior I, I'm itching to try that! If there isn't, does anyone feel like making one please? Thanks!
I Like Swords!
Never Give Up, Never Surrender!
Time Can Be Your Ally, Use It Well!

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: January 11, 2017, 01:53:50 am »
A SMB1 Hack fully resembling SMB Deluxe for the GB, other than the very small screen and intro, and menu. Sorry.

I have been wanting that since the very fist time i played SMB Deluxe.

Does anyone else wish that instead of the NES Classics SMB, they would have just ported over SMB Deluxe. I thought that was just, such a wasted opportunity.

Also, they could have made SMB Origins Advance (or someone could hack one out now). It would be SMB1 and SMB2-Japan and they would have all the bells and whistles of SMB Deluxe and look like Super Mario All-Stars (actually they should look BETTER) to go along with the rest of the Advanced series.

Throw in the option to have power-ups from the other games (maybe Hammer suit for the tougher levels and Frog suit for the water ones). Have an option to pull and throw plants (SMA4 did this).

It would still need the image galleries and the mini-games and the NES graphics if it was going to be SMB Origins Deluxe, but SMB Origins Advance could have the "souped-up" graphics to match the other SMA games. Heck I want em' both.

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: January 11, 2017, 10:29:44 pm »
I know this won't go anywhere and no one here will do it, but I felt this idea should go here.

Some spriter should get Street Fighter III 3rd Strike and change Ken and Akuma's sprites to match their Street Fighter V visuals.

If MUGEN makers managed to bring it to life, why can't ROM Hackers?

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: January 12, 2017, 12:41:52 am »
Super Mario RPG has a lot of unused enemies, I think a restoration of this would add more gameplay.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: January 12, 2017, 03:37:59 am »
I have been wanting that since the very fist time i played SMB Deluxe.

Does anyone else wish that instead of the NES Classics SMB, they would have just ported over SMB Deluxe. I thought that was just, such a wasted opportunity.

Also, they could have made SMB Origins Advance (or someone could hack one out now). It would be SMB1 and SMB2-Japan and they would have all the bells and whistles of SMB Deluxe and look like Super Mario All-Stars (actually they should look BETTER) to go along with the rest of the Advanced series.

Throw in the option to have power-ups from the other games (maybe Hammer suit for the tougher levels and Frog suit for the water ones). Have an option to pull and throw plants (SMA4 did this).

It would still need the image galleries and the mini-games and the NES graphics if it was going to be SMB Origins Deluxe, but SMB Origins Advance could have the "souped-up" graphics to match the other SMA games. Heck I want em' both.

I agree with you, someone should really hack the NES version of SMB that would turn it into a NES port of the GBC port.

I like your idea on porting the All-Stars versions of SMB & Lost Levels to the GBA, someone should make a unofficial Super Mario Advance 5 for the GBA that has those two games in there.

I still want to see a hack for the NES version of SMB3 that would give Luigi his own separate sprite sheet instead of sharing Mario's, a hack for Super Mario Kart that would let you play Special Cup in 50cc and restore the original victory animations for Peach & Bowser and a hack for Super Mario 64 that would add all the new content from the DS port to it.

I know this won't go anywhere and no one here will do it, but I felt this idea should go here.

Some spriter should get Street Fighter III 3rd Strike and change Ken and Akuma's sprites to match their Street Fighter V visuals.

If MUGEN makers managed to bring it to life, why can't ROM Hackers?

I like that idea, I also want to see someone from the Mugen community to update the sprites of the Capcom roster in Capcom vs. SNK 2 as well.

Another hack I want to see for 3rd Strike is one that would decensor Urien's timeout losing animation and restore the unused Shin Akuma and his stage back to the game.

Once Ultra Street Fighter II comes out, I would like to see someone hack the Hyper Street Fighter II arcade ROM that would add Evil Ryu and Violent Ken to the roster.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 01:30:44 pm by SCD »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #3552 on: January 12, 2017, 10:48:30 am »
Yoshi's Island (SNES)
A hack that removes the points of no return so you don't have to replay the level if you missed a coin or two.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: January 15, 2017, 02:22:02 am »
I like that idea, I also want to see someone from the Mugen community to update the sprites of the Capcom roster in Capcom vs. SNK 2 as well.

Another hack I want to see for 3rd Strike is one that would decensor Urien's timeout losing animation and restore the unused Shin Akuma and his stage back to the game.

Once Ultra Street Fighter II comes out, I would like to see someone hack the Hyper Street Fighter II arcade ROM that would add Evil Ryu and Violent Ken to the roster.

Actually, Justin Wong, as he played the game, found out USFII will be more than just two characters. Mechanics were pretty much refined again, Evil Ryu and Violent Ken aren't just reskins, they have their unique techniques (and yes, Evil Ryu retains his SGS), there's a color select similar to recent Street Fighter games, and then some.

And restoring Shin Akuma is something I'd love to see in SFIII 3rd.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: January 15, 2017, 03:37:10 am »
Actually, Justin Wong, as he played the game, found out USFII will be more than just two characters. Mechanics were pretty much refined again, Evil Ryu and Violent Ken aren't just reskins, they have their unique techniques (and yes, Evil Ryu retains his SGS), there's a color select similar to recent Street Fighter games, and then some.

I remember hearing reports that they might add either Oni or Shin Akuma to the roster, I also hope they bring that game over to the PS4 as well.

Another hack I want to see is one for the GameCube version of Wind Waker that would add the Swift Sail and add the cut dungeons and islands to it.

I also want to see restoration hacks for both N64 Goemon games and a hack for the PS2 version of Tony Hawk's Underground 2 that would add the exclusive PSP levels to it as well.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:08:08 am by SCD »

thzfunnymzn

• View Profile
« Reply #3555 on: January 15, 2017, 02:59:27 pm »
Simple Idea:
For Donkey Kong Country 3, Kiddy Kong take 2 hits before returning to their barrels. He's mostly a meatshield to Dixie Kong's amazing ponytail twirl, might as well make him good at meatshielding. Yes, it does make the game easier, but it adds more character to Kiddy besidse "I can hop on water, be thrown to smash cracks, and cry like the toddler I am." Dunno if a DK barrel should return him to the full 2 HP, or if only to 1 HP but healing him even if he isn't "gone" yet.

Idea technically work for Donkey Kong in DKC1 as well, but Diddy doesn't exactly boast anything major over DK in the original, so meh.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: January 16, 2017, 04:09:36 pm »
I completely forgot about the cut-dungeons from Wind Waker, I would like to see that too.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: January 16, 2017, 06:33:34 pm »
I just spent way to long playing around in paint. (don't laugh, I know it looks very amateur-ish)

Original 3D World Runner
https://postimg.org/image/aw12nwc5j/

Mario 3D World Runner
https://postimg.org/image/6akunsr07/

I can imagine all sorts of Mario style retro 3D fun!!

All the elements are there, just from a different perspective.

Running, jumping over pits, power-ups, different worlds with different themes.

Morinis

• Cupcakes and Pizza
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #3558 on: January 17, 2017, 02:39:22 pm »
An idea to throw out there.

Have a level/room editor for Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA) with similar functions of that related to reVamp and Editroid  ;)
ROM Hacker, Reviewer and Critic.

Don't Know What Else To Say So... <3 You!

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: January 18, 2017, 12:18:28 am »
So I saw something that gained my interest, but wouldn't it be cool to see Ghaleon transform in the PSX version like he did in the original version?

Though I imagine that would require some heavy hacking.