Idea: A Mega Man character hack (preferably either MM2,3 or 4) in which you play as the Mega Man 10 version of Bass, with the same moves.
I was playing MM10 as Bass for the first time recently and thought it was excellent, make it feels like a complete different game:
His abilities in MM10:
- Slide-jump : perform a jump during a slide and the leap will be bigger, faster. Think of how Buster plays in Tiny Toons Adventure, same thing. Tons of fun and potential for speedrunning.
- Sliding, but doesn't make you smaller, so in some cases it might require level design chances to accomodate
- aim in 7 directions, every direction but straight down. However you can't move while shooting, the d-pad changes the direction when shooting.
- Continueous shooting when holding the shoot button. 4 shots per screen at a time. However shots are a bit weaker, for instance an enemy that dies in 1 hot with Mega takes 2 with Bass, etc 1 shot still counts as 1 HP for a Boss though.
- No R Coil or R Jet; instead one item, the Jetpack. Check MM10 for precise behaviour of the Jetpack and of shooting when using it, there is a little more to it.
Not only this character hack would completely change how a MM game plays, without changing any enemy and any (barely) level design, but it could also be used as a base for level hacks.
I know there are 2 Bass hacks already made on NES, but they were made before MM10 came out and apparently he plays just like Mega Man, only the graphics changed.