News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2412107 times)

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3480 on: December 04, 2016, 08:40:58 pm »
Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem

Make enemy generic Pegasus Knight battle sprite as female instead of male.

(Image Source: The Spriters Resource)

Dreadever23

• View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: December 04, 2016, 11:53:42 pm »
Don't know if this has been brought up yet, but it would be really cool if someone added the gba exclusive content into the snes version of A Link to the Past (extra dungeon, woodcutter quest).

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: December 05, 2016, 10:24:37 am »
Don't know if this has been brought up yet, but it would be really cool if someone added the gba exclusive content into the snes version of A Link to the Past (extra dungeon, woodcutter quest).
I wanted to attempt adding the extra dungeon, but Hyrule Magic surely is limited when it comes to adding new stuff.
You basically have to remove other things in order to even attempt adding a new room into the game.

It'd require some heavy rework of the software to make it take advantage of an expanded ROM (1MB to 2MB might do it), and then adding the Four Swords dungeon could be very well doable.

Also, now that we are on the topic of ALttP:
Maybe recreating Ancient Stone Tablets in the ALttP engine?
It could be possible since AST doesn't have as much content as ALttP and has some sections of the map unavailable, that way we could enjoy Ancient Stone Tablets in one, and only one, ROM instead of handling four separate ones for the Full Quest.

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3483 on: December 05, 2016, 10:42:58 am »
You mean BRAM (external module for saving games).

oh sorry, typo ;D

pikahax

• View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: December 05, 2016, 08:34:01 pm »
We could make hack of Banjo-Kazooie that uses a Controller Pak/Memory Card save and a hack of Banjo-Tooie that uses said save for the sake of the Stop 'n' Swop.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: December 06, 2016, 12:17:28 pm »
Here's an idea for a Mario RPG hack: Luigi & Daisy or Rosalina taking Mario & Peach's places in the game.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: December 06, 2016, 10:25:32 pm »
This might seem nuts, but....I would LOVE an Act Raiser hack that combines the following:

---The Sim difficulty of the US version (ie monsters are more durable than in the Japanese version---maybe even a bit harder than the vanilla US version): also change the order of magic acquisition so players don't just spam Shooting Star 90% of the game.  I'd personally be a fan of Fireball--Magic Light--Barrier--Shooting Star
---Improved Act Difficulty: spike pits OHKO like in the Japanese version, you keep the expanded timer (or maybe a LITTLE less time) in the US version, but enemy toughness/damage increases throughout the game (ie Fillmore enemies will all still hit for 1 damage/die in 1-2 hits, but later appearing enemies take more hits to kill and potentially do more damage)
---The slightly different music selection of the US version
---The AG retranslation of the Japanese script

Edited because I had some (possibly) good ideas for more specific changes.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:23:45 am by magictrufflez »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: December 08, 2016, 01:12:57 pm »
So, I thought of a Hardcore Shining Soul 1 & 2 Hack that...
1. Boosts the stat of every enemy by 50% (Bosses gets 100% boost)
2. To balance the increased difficulty, item drop rate should go up.
3. EXP also goes up.
4. Level Cap increased in such way that it is possible to master all skills.
5. EVERYTHING in your inventory is LOST upon death, except what is equipped.
6. Instead of dropping one item upon death, you drop two.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: December 08, 2016, 11:18:11 pm »
This might seem nuts, but....I would LOVE an Act Raiser hack that combines the following:

---The Sim difficulty of the US version (ie monsters are more durable than in the Japanese version---maybe even a bit harder than the vanilla US version): also change the order of magic acquisition so players don't just spam Shooting Star 90% of the game.  I'd personally be a fan of Fireball--Magic Light--Barrier--Shooting Star
---Improved Act Difficulty: spike pits OHKO like in the Japanese version, you keep the expanded timer (or maybe a LITTLE less time) in the US version, but enemy toughness/damage increases throughout the game (ie Fillmore enemies will all still hit for 1 damage/die in 1-2 hits, but later appearing enemies take more hits to kill and potentially do more damage)
---The slightly different music selection of the US version
---The AG retranslation of the Japanese script

Edited because I had some (possibly) good ideas for more specific changes.

Scratch this, as apparently it almost all already exists in the European version of Act Raiser!  (Minus the re translation and magic acquisition changes)

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: December 09, 2016, 03:10:08 am »
I think at some point the community could try to solve the expansion issue for old console based games (SNES,NES,etc). My understanding there is very little that can be done to add new content without taking away something, and I'm wondering if the community could try to get the best minds together to finally solve the issue.

I just imagine how many dream projects had to be canceled because they found out the hard way that one simply can't expand something like say Link to the Past without sacrificing something else.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: December 09, 2016, 07:33:25 am »
Has anybody hacked the original GBA version of "The Legend of Zelda Four Swords" to add the DSiWare version's single player mode?

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: December 09, 2016, 10:18:28 am »
I think at some point the community could try to solve the expansion issue for old console based games (SNES,NES,etc). My understanding there is very little that can be done to add new content without taking away something, and I'm wondering if the community could try to get the best minds together to finally solve the issue.

I just imagine how many dream projects had to be canceled because they found out the hard way that one simply can't expand something like say Link to the Past without sacrificing something else.
That goes more on a game by game basis, and many games do actually have quite a bit of space to work with even if there are some very notable ones that use everything they have. For the most part the solution is obvious -- change to a new mapper, cart type or whatever with more space and deal with the fallout that results from that, possibly including emulator and flash cart incompatibility that results.
Cowboy mode is split the game in two so you have one half with one thing which cannibalised content from the last half and one doing the second part of the game, though this is not always a viable option if most of your space is taken up by something the whole game needs or if slicing levels off gains you not much space in the face of audio or something.
Super cowboy mode, the mere suggestion of which is (justifiably) going to get me dirty looks, is do like the N64 and GC hackers do and have the emulator parachute in extra content. The lua stuff we already see for most platforms being more than capable of this. Bonus of this is you could get really crazy and do voice acting, CGI cutscenes and the like on a NES game if you really wanted.

Has anybody hacked the original GBA version of "The Legend of Zelda Four Swords" to add the DSiWare version's single player mode?

A few people had looked into modding the game to be single player compatible but as it would have taken a whole rework of a lot of the puzzles then it rarely got far.

sindrik

• View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: December 09, 2016, 05:33:46 pm »
Mortal Kombat Trilogy (Nintendo 64): A hack that would expand the memory space of the ROM from 6MB to 64MB so someone can restore Goro, Kintaro, Chameleon, the classic versions of Jax, Kung Lao, Kano, and Raiden, make the unmasked Sub-Zero and Classic Sub-Zero be separate characters once again and restore some of the missing music tracks.

I've always wondered (not complaining, just actual curiosity) why people always hack the Genesis MK3 to expand it and not the N64/PSX/Saturn version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy or the Saturn version of Ultimate MK3. Is the Genesis version just easier to work with?
Another thing that might be interesting would be a balance hack to Mortal Kombat Trilogy to make the game more in line with the rest of the series. Oh, and uncensoring Scorpion & Classic Sub Zero's fatalities.

both would be incredibly great  :beer:

Tingly

• View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: December 10, 2016, 11:02:43 pm »
I tried to replay Wild Arms 2 recently, and damn. I'm not sure how I got through it all those years ago; the font is so horrible and I can't stand trying to read it now. It desperately could use a hack that replaces the font.

Zeikar

• View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: December 10, 2016, 11:03:54 pm »
I think someone needs to do Proto Man hacks for MM1-MM6, like really good quality like the Roll Chan hacks, he needs his shield and scarf and whistle, I have several hacks from the internet some of which are combined like to give him shield in MM1 there are 2 hacks but there are some graphical glitches and another that gives his whistle when starting a stage in MM3 is a combo of a graphics hack and whistle hack and then there is a recent beta hack I discovered for MM5 that's pretty good, but the isn't any for MM4 or MM6, I think someone needs to start from scratch and make it really awesome like the Roll Chan hacks!

Isao Kronos

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: December 10, 2016, 11:07:01 pm »
I tried to replay Wild Arms 2 recently, and damn. I'm not sure how I got through it all those years ago; the font is so horrible and I can't stand trying to read it now. It desperately could use a hack that replaces the font.

A retrans would be nice too but fat chance of either lol
will hackrom for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: December 11, 2016, 12:44:15 am »
I can definitely see Wild Arms 2 getting a overhaul, the battles throughout the game seem way too easy, and inconsistent.

The final boss was WAY TOO EASY.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #3497 on: December 12, 2016, 01:09:35 am »
A hack that restores ma boy adolf to Gunstar Heroes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J6BgOHdBbg&t=7m5s
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: December 13, 2016, 11:09:21 am »
I would like to see a English translation of Game Freak's Super Famicom game Bushi Seiryūden: Futari no Yūsha (Warriors of the Blue Dragon Legend - The Two Heroes) along with a English translation of Klonoa Heroes as well.

Algernonab

• View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: December 13, 2016, 03:33:20 pm »
I don't know how much of a tall order this would be, but I would like to see more randomizers of Zelda games along the lines of the A Link to the Past or Majora's Mask randomizer.  My personal choice would be a randomizer of The Wind Waker, since the open-world aspects of that game would lend themselves well to a randomizer, in my opinion.