News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2407222 times)

aml435

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3420 on: October 31, 2016, 02:33:01 am »

Mortal Kombat Trilogy (Nintendo 64): A hack that would expand the memory space of the ROM from 6MB to 64MB so someone can restore Goro, Kintaro, Chameleon, the classic versions of Jax, Kung Lao, Kano, and Raiden, make the unmasked Sub-Zero and Classic Sub-Zero be separate characters once again and restore some of the missing music tracks.

I've always wondered (not complaining, just actual curiosity) why people always hack the Genesis MK3 to expand it and not the N64/PSX/Saturn version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy or the Saturn version of Ultimate MK3. Is the Genesis version just easier to work with?
Another thing that might be interesting would be a balance hack to Mortal Kombat Trilogy to make the game more in line with the rest of the series. Oh, and uncensoring Scorpion & Classic Sub Zero's fatalities.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 06:23:44 am by aml435 »

Dogeritos

• Dogeritos r kewl
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel (Don't Go There... Pretty Bad)
« Reply #3421 on: October 31, 2016, 03:44:57 pm »
I'm wondering if anyone could make the Uncle in Zelda 3 look like Mario from Super Mario World? Thought it'd be cool, thanks!
So nacho
Much cheese
Wow
Dogeritos

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: October 31, 2016, 04:14:38 pm »
If his graphics weren't compressed I'd consider it

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: October 31, 2016, 05:48:05 pm »
There's a compressor and decompressor for Zelda already.  Pretty sure it was included with LunarCompress.  If not, pretty sure it's named Zcompressor or something along those lines.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #3424 on: November 01, 2016, 08:35:41 pm »
Some ideas I have for a Shining Force (MD/GEN) hack:
1. Ability to skip watching an enemy unit's movement in battle or the cursor moving across the battlefield by pressing a button or button combo. Or simply a faster moving cursor.
2. Removed delay before the characters move in each battle cutscene.
3. Characters auto-equip a bought or given weapon as long as the weapon is equippable by them.
4. Skippable jingles - the raise jingle, promote jingle, and so on.
5. The main battle theme in a battle continues instead of reseting after each battle cutscene (which have their own short tracks).
6. NPCs move out of your way more quickly.
7. Battle maps turn normal after you win so you can have the automatic item passing hack work there, and talk to party members to hear some banter without going to the HQ.
8. Status menu is accessible outside of battle and the HQ.
9. (advanced) A deployment phase before each battle starts.
10. Context sensitive interact button (search/talk).
11. The character menu doesn't close after for example transferring or equipping an item, instead it goes to the previous menu (where in the case of items you select between use, give, drop, equip).
12. The music uses drum samples from the sequel instead.
13. You can execute Balbazak if you want to, Suikoden style.  >:D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:26:14 am by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: November 02, 2016, 11:12:24 am »
I wouldn't mind a few graphic hacks of A Week of Garfield to make it looklike Realfield or Garfielf.
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: November 02, 2016, 04:06:24 pm »
I wouldn't mind a few graphic hacks of A Week of Garfield to make it looklike Realfield or Garfielf.

How about a graphics hack to make it not look like a pile of fresh ass first?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: November 02, 2016, 04:48:56 pm »
They did a good job of drawing 1978 Garfield... in 1989. :P
And it only get worse from there.
I said the graphics look like an Atari game, and then I found out there was a 2600 Garfield game. I wouldn't be surprised if it played better, in that 2600 simplicity way.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

TheShepherd

• I am what i am not...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: November 02, 2016, 05:48:50 pm »
Lately played a Castlevania 3 Hack called "Gold Edition",
really nice, it is the first one wich changes the Stage Design.
So with the Knowledge the Autor has he should work out a complete
new Story, change the Character Sprites and Stuff like that.
I have a lot of good Ideas about that but no knowledge...not for 1 Percent  :laugh:

:woot!:BY THE WAY CAN SOMEONE PLEASE PUT JEAN-CLAUDE VAN DAMME INTO STREETS OF RAGE 2...FOR ME :)" :woot!:
if I do an action movie today I cannot walk through the streets and do karate moves. I would not believe it anymore. It's hard for me to say that. I cannot go and do three somersaults. I would feel like a monkey.
- Jean-Claude Van Damme

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: November 04, 2016, 11:40:00 pm »
Golden Sun 2 idea:
-A hack that alters the default team from the previous game have all of GS1's Djinn with them when they join, and the Cleric's Ring (the most important item you can get from a transferred party.)
-Having failed that, a hack that places all of these on the world map somewhere after obtaining the old crew, probably in the side boss dungeons.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: November 05, 2016, 12:38:31 am »
Golden Sun 2 idea:
-A hack that alters the default team from the previous game have all of GS1's Djinn with them when they join, and the Cleric's Ring (the most important item you can get from a transferred party.)
-Having failed that, a hack that places all of these on the world map somewhere after obtaining the old crew, probably in the side boss dungeons.
But why? Transferring data is so easy

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: November 05, 2016, 01:26:46 am »
Be sure to send me an update on the case they get interested in creating a new history.

Late answer as I just saw your reply :-[

We will soon be needing ideas for the 16th character concept on all levels. We'll also later need detailed backstory and current game time events / dialogues ideas that blend well with the original story and expand it logically / nicely. See the project details.

As for an hack idea, what about a FFIIus overhaul that implement all the possible FFIV Advance extra content? While being at it, why not trying to implement some post game mechanism that would be a variation of the augment system found in the DS version? This would resemble my dream FF4 hack with the addition of the 4bpp GFX upgrade hack.

laputanmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: November 05, 2016, 02:06:06 am »
Rygar for NES is a buggy game.  So any enterprising rom hacker with debugging tools/experience can try a few things to fix:

Bugs/Glitches:

-Rygar EU/PAL version has a bug where the limit was set to 1024 instead of the usual 4096.  This could be fixed.

-There are too many to list but here's a starting list for things to fix: http://tasvideos.org/GameResources/NES/Rygar.html

Bonus/Extra:

-Argos No Senshi (Rygar in Japan) could use a 'retranslation' patch so we get an idea of what it should have said in Japanese; great for a first-time translation crew since there is so little text and the game isn't as obscure as some Japan-only titles.
--Variable Width Font possible if you're feelin lucky, punk.  ;)

-Musical import of the Sagila's Cave (aka Spider Cave) theme from the US version into Argos No Senshi so we get a 'superior music' version of the game alongside a possible retranslation.

-Expand the mapper to MMC3 or MMC5 to take advantage of additional room for the additional music/text.

-Total conversion to turn the game into something unique/different and done in a high-quality format for a fantastic fresh experience!

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: November 05, 2016, 10:49:37 am »
Offloading from to-do list. . .

Earthbound: Foursided
A patch that allows player 1 & 2 to share control of characters in battle(P1: Ness & Jeff, P2:Paula & Poo)
also allows fighting for controls while outside of battle ala limited twitch plays pokemon
Also maybe optional patch for 4 player adapter, perhaps party leader swapping too.

Ice Climbers RPG: Quest for the Golden Eggplants
Paper Mario 64 hack that gives us an Ice Climbers RPG with an original story.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3&K: Improved Moves
add new moves/shields and then levels that utilize them to Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
Extend dash = boost once while rolling by holding down and then press button.
Wall jump
Down dash = down + button, like the bubble shield but without bounce.
Sonic Boom= down + button while jumping with shield, destroys shield & clears screen of enemies.
Hog-Time: Freeze enemies, hazards and speed up sonic temporarily for a small cost in rings.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: November 05, 2016, 03:33:11 pm »
I think it's okay to point it out here that apparently Zero Wing for the Genesis/MD actually has a legitimate reason for being re-translated: there's apparently THIRTY-TWO screens of ending text in the Japanese version, omitted from the EU version, viewable if you beat the game 35 times in a row (or use a cheat code).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

salvadorc17

• View Profile
« Reply #3435 on: November 05, 2016, 05:40:41 pm »
I like the idea for Shinning Force hack, is a good classic for the Sega, and deserves it..

laputanmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: November 05, 2016, 06:15:58 pm »
Those wanting a Shining Force hack might wanna try x-posting this over at Shining Force Central, though the activity level there is significantly less.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: November 05, 2016, 07:58:34 pm »
I think it's okay to point it out here that apparently Zero Wing for the Genesis/MD actually has a legitimate reason for being re-translated: there's apparently THIRTY-TWO screens of ending text in the Japanese version, omitted from the EU version, viewable if you beat the game 35 times in a row (or use a cheat code).

Whoa:

http://legendsoflocalization.com/zero-wing-had-32-weird-secret-endings-in-japan/

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: November 05, 2016, 08:47:04 pm »
But why? Transferring data is so easy
It's also a pain in the butt to do in mobile.  I need to either download an emulator with less than stellar sound emulation for the game to link, or do it the ol' six page manual way.

But you're right that this isn't as great of an idea as I had thought, you'd also need to hack the golden equipment events and that just seems to not feel right to me.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: November 06, 2016, 12:09:18 am »
Jesus... That was hilarious, made my night, maybe Ill go play Zero Wing again.
Also can we get a hack where we're working with CATS now? Just because.