News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2418071 times)

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3400 on: October 27, 2016, 12:39:37 pm »
This is a good general idea for a complete hack. The idea of the contract could benefit the characters in the way that they could "Fuse" with an Esper. Outside magic learning, fusing with an esper allow a new command for the character where an attack is chosen among five specific to that Esper. This could be done by menu or cast randomly. The attacks would be themed with the Esper and the Esper summon would be among the 5 attacks that could be buff/debuff/healing as well. Pair that idea with BNW Esper restriction patch and it opens the way to new game balance and combat approach.

We are implementing a similar idea in our community FF6 hack but only for a single new character.
For real, man?! Be sure to send me an update on the case they get interested in creating a new history.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: October 27, 2016, 06:41:52 pm »
Goof Troop (SNES) - A graphics/text hack featuring Cheech and Chong.

Cheech and Chong's Smokin' SNES Game.  :D
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: October 27, 2016, 07:10:31 pm »
Goof Troop (SNES) - A graphics/text hack featuring Cheech and Chong.

Cheech and Chong's Smokin' SNES Game.  :D

That's one of the best ideas I've heard in a while.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: October 27, 2016, 11:10:02 pm »
I agree, that is a cool idea. Someone should definitely do that.

Mortal Kombat Trilogy (Nintendo 64): A hack that would expand the memory space of the ROM from 6MB to 64MB so someone can restore Goro, Kintaro, Chameleon, the classic versions of Jax, Kung Lao, Kano, and Raiden, make the unmasked Sub-Zero and Classic Sub-Zero be separate characters once again and restore some of the missing music tracks.

Pilotwings 64: A hack that would change Robin's name back to her original name "Hooter" and it would also restore the Jesus Christ face texture that appeared on a rock in the Everfrost Island from the Japanese version as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73GTHYOC-8A

Super Smash Bros.: A hack that would restore the original Japanese Attack and Beam Sword sound effects.

Mario Party 2: A hack that would give Luigi and Wario their "Oh my god!" voice clips from the Japanese version of Mario Party 1 and it would also restore the revolvers for the Western Land ending cutscene from the Japanese version as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6TR3UGb7Hs

Star Fox 64: A hack that would add the gibberish Lylat language option from the European version to the American version.

Doom 64: A hack that would fix the bug that causes the MIDI music tracks not to play in their full intentional, there's suppose to be more instruments on certain parts of all the tracks but the bug cause them not to play. It was fixed on the Doom 64 EX source port.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 08:28:23 am by SCD »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: October 28, 2016, 02:18:04 pm »
Is there a reason for removing it? Any decent emulator will not trigger those anti-piracy checks.
Perhaps because a hack may accidentally trigger it?

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3405 on: October 28, 2016, 09:19:56 pm »
A little request. All SNES Fire Emblem Games with MSU-1.

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: October 28, 2016, 09:53:33 pm »
serious question, what's supposed to even be the big deal about MSU-1, it seems like a waste of time and hard drive space to me

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: October 28, 2016, 10:17:34 pm »
serious question, what's supposed to even be the big deal about MSU-1, it seems like a waste of time and hard drive space to me

I'm not crazy about the concept as I love SNES audio, but in the case of Conker's High Rule Tail it was much easier to make a new soundtrack via this method as opposed to converting all of the new tunes into the existing format and then inserting them into the ROM (probably wouldn't have had enough room even when expanded to the largest standard format compatible with most emus). Drawback: If you want to download the patch and it's new soundtrack it's 1.14 GB as opposed to a 1.5 MB download with just the patch. Yes, the patch is actually that big when archived (2.4 when not) and no, it doesn't include the entire ROM. That should give you an idea of how much content was added to the game itself.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: October 28, 2016, 11:58:15 pm »
FMVs would be one reason.  For the most part it's been just ports of remix tracks of wildly varying quality, but things like the dude talking about porting the PS1 FMVs of Chrono Trigger to SNES is a cool use for it.

I guess when talking about Fire Emblem backports of the remake's OST isn't a terrible use?  Like 90% of the time the original tracks are better on the SNES (and more consistent depending on the source; not all remix sources for these things were ever meant to be used in any game let alone the whole album in one game).

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: October 29, 2016, 12:10:46 am »
I guess when talking about Fire Emblem backports of the remake's OST isn't a terrible use?  Like 90% of the time the original tracks are better on the SNES (and more consistent depending on the source; not all remix sources for these things were ever meant to be used in any game let alone the whole album in one game).

That's another drawback of some of these MSU-1 soundtracks. Many of them are going to be cobbled together from whatever was available. At least with Conker's High Rule Tail it was mostly stuff that was written and/or recorded specifically for that hack. I believe a lot of it was by Chpexo, if anyone remembers him. EDIT: Actually, I think it may have been a number of people.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 12:29:12 am by SunGodPortal »

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: October 29, 2016, 12:20:41 am »
So one idea of a romhack I've been thinking is maybe tell the story of what Golbez, Kain, and the others were up to during the times they were not around during the main story, and possibly before the main story too. It leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: October 29, 2016, 12:39:38 am »
So one idea of a romhack I've been thinking is maybe tell the story of what Golbez, Kain, and the others were up to during the times they were not around during the main story, and possibly before the main story too. It leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

Cool idea. Reminds me of that Prophet's Guile hack for Chrono Trigger.

deadlyblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: October 29, 2016, 10:57:21 am »
Yo have any of you brave enough to create an hack to put all 3 guest characters into 1 Soul Calibur 2 game?

I was.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: October 29, 2016, 12:00:45 pm »
Making more posts about this will not increase the likelihood of it ever happening.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,22943.msg321713.html

Do you think you're the first person in fourteen years to have thought of this idea?  If it was a simple cut-and-paste job then someone surely would have done it by now.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
    • http://ff6hacking.com/
« Reply #3414 on: October 29, 2016, 12:37:04 pm »
Yo have any of you brave enough to create an hack to put all 3 guest characters into 1 Soul Calibur 2 game?

I was.

Wait are you saying that you were successful at doing this then?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: October 29, 2016, 02:50:08 pm »
I assumed based on the wording of the other post (and the lack of any kind of screenshots or other links) that the word "was" was mistyped.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: October 29, 2016, 02:50:42 pm »
I'm finally playing thru Link's Awakening after all these years of putting it off.  I noticed that the rupees are all blue, except for the ones in the color dungeon that are green.

#1     In modern Zelda games the blue rupee is worth 5 while the green is worth 1.  This was solidified in A Link to the Past.  I can understand the need for one type of rupee in Link's Awakening back in 1993 due to lack of color, but for whatever reason when it was colorised in 1998, Nintendo made the rupees blue.  I was wondering if the blue rupee sprites could be swapped with the green ones from the color dungeon so this way we've green rupees worth 1 rupee and special blue rupees in the color dungeon worth 5 rupees.  You know, for consistency.  I'm not aware of any color limitations, so I believe it could be done.

#2    This idea is a bit more bold because it deals with actual game-play and how items work.  When you don't have a specific item equipped and you try interacting with an object corresponding to that item you get rewarded with an annoying text box saying something akin to "Oh crap I can't lift this, if only I had something that could lift it -Hint Hint Wink Wink-".  Needless to say this gets annoying after a while,  is there any way to shut off these types of notices after you earn the item associated with them.  For example, you could stop getting those notices once you get the power bracelet and the pegasus boots. 

That got me thinking further, as the power bracelet example only exists because it's an item to equip in this game rather than a permanent power up like in other Zelda games.  Is there a way to make the Power Bracelet always in effect so Link can always lift objects after he earns the Power Bracelet?

#3   One of the drawbacks of being monochrome is that the original game had to differentiate some items by calling them "Level -1" and "Level -2" instead of altering their color or appearance.  I feel that some item sprites could look more distinctive as color isn't a limitation anymore.

#4   This is just a personal thing, but I never really understood why Link's shield had to be reduced to an item rather than something that's always out.  Is there a way to make the shield always present and behave, in a classic NES Zelda sort of way?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: October 29, 2016, 03:58:04 pm »
I think there were some specific uses for the shield as an item.
Such as the Mario Spinies (whatever they were called in the game) where you have to use the shield to make them vulnerable.

And the flamethrower you need the Mirror Shield to get passed.
Technically maybe you could hack the game to auto-shield, but it would seem like, in the above situation, Link just suddenly gains the ability to repel fire. :D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: October 30, 2016, 05:44:07 am »
That's another drawback of some of these MSU-1 soundtracks. Many of them are going to be cobbled together from whatever was available.

Yeah, that's a problem with a lot of MSU-1 hacks. Take the MSU-1 soundtrack for Secret of Mana for example. You get remastered versions of the forest and boss themes which (imo) are perfect updates that stick close enough to the composer's original intent, and then you have the "Calm Before the Storm" theme and the menu music which are really, really unfitting rock remixes. I'm actually considering doing a complete remaster soundtrack to try and fix that.

zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: October 30, 2016, 06:32:54 pm »
I think there were some specific uses for the shield as an item.
Such as the Mario Spinies (whatever they were called in the game) where you have to use the shield to make them vulnerable.

And the flamethrower you need the Mirror Shield to get passed.
Technically maybe you could hack the game to auto-shield, but it would seem like, in the above situation, Link just suddenly gains the ability to repel fire. :D

I see,  I guess the game was built around the shield being an item. I didn't think that idea out completely.