News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2852789 times)

Burzy

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #340 on: January 21, 2012, 10:05:06 am »
>.> Creeperton, it was only a joke... fyi...
Video I made for a game I love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdX7apGn0xM

KiddoCabbusses

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 23, 2012, 11:16:58 am »
Legend, I've attempted to some degree getting the NES Zelda's overworld hacked so it resembles the BS Zelda map. It appears even that is pretty difficult, though.

Here is a thread where we were discussing it in the BS Zelda forums.
http://z9.invisionfree.com/bszelda/index.php?showtopic=1338
The subject of doing the inverse and porting the NES Zelda maps over to BS Zelda was also discussed. Based on Mottzilla's own word, it seems the primary issues would be the World Map aesthetics and the missing enemies.

I've also thought of another hack idea in the meantime;

I have a Powerpak, and currently that does not support the MMC5 version of Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse. It does support the VRC6 Akumajou Densetsu, but as I'm running this on a regular old NES, it does not have the extra sound support. I do not want to attempt to mod my NES hardware for the sound support for various reasons (among them being that I suck with a soldering iron). And my current TV setup does not like Famicoms.

Is it perhaps possible that the simpler-sounding MMC5 Castlevania 3 sound can be ported over to the VRC6 Akumajou Densetsu, or the music be rewritten in some other manner so that the extra soundchips aren't used? Yeah, I know playing VRC6 Akumajou Densetsu without the enhanced music is like buying a cassette over a CD, but this is basically just so I could have a version of Dracula's Curse that plays completely on my NES.

EDIT: Welp, guess I'm gonn have to pass the buck on the NES2BS Zelda...

Under the limittations of Dungeon Master, hacking the BS Zelda Maps into NES Zelda looks like it'll be impossible.

While BS Zelda's overworld is smaller, it turns out most of the dungeons tend to take up more horizontal and vertical space than the original Zelda maps.Perhaps to compensate for the lack of a Level 9? But yeah, in general, the BS Zelda dungeon maps appear to be bigger. But more importantly in the case of how Dungeon Master works, the "St.GIGA" shape does not appear to fit in the limited space I'm provided to work with hacking the dungeon layouts.

Presumably due to how the game itself is programmed, Dungeon Master has some very strict rules for putting maps in, and attempting to put in exact replicas of the BS Zelda Maps appears to break them simply in the overall layout.
Now, since I'm basically a hacking n00b, it appears to me that the options I have left involve sacrificing perfect replicas in order to simply get the important stuff in.
But alas, sacrificing the ideal of the vision sucks...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:19:07 pm by KiddoCabbusses »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 05, 2012, 10:24:46 am »
I once spoke yesterday of this game that could get some hacking to bring it back to life. Here's the quote I had linked to in the chat:
OK, Tyrian 2000 GB IS complete. However, it DOES call for a hacking/modding. If anyone here is a residing member in romhacking.net, they could go and ask for some help on this. My proposal for a hack of this game is:
1. Addition of a new main menu option: "Help". Purpose: to make it easier for new players to understand what each thing does and how they works.
2. Restoration of SP Weapons. They might be coded in it or not. Who knows?
3. Warp fix. The stage's boss spams too many projectiles, most of the time rendering your own weapons partially useless.
4. Addition of new weapons. Some new weapons could be added or replace some existing ones.
5. Exclusion of Engine/Energy use in Arcade, Super Arcade and Challenge.
6. Addition of "loop" system. You know you'll never get X or Y weapon early in the game, no matter how hard you try to earn cash for it.
7. More stages. I know you want to beat a floating nose too!

After some thought (And permission to login), I decided to organize some of those ideas by order of priority, as well as to add some. So, the first things that must be done are:
1. Addition of a new main menu option: "Help".
2. Warp boss' fix.
3. Exclusion of Engine/Energy in non-fullgame mode.
4. Addition of "loop" system.

So, yeah, those four are top priority, should someone want to make this hack. And, yes, they are in order of priority too. If you are willing to take on that idea, here are some suggestions:
1. Let me know. I'm willing to help if I can.
2. Play the PC game too. It might help you in understanding most of it. (Plus, it's free! Seriously, it is! A few fan sites provide download for the PC game and the prototype Roms, some serious sites provide the download of Tyrian 2000 for PC with DOSBox... Give it a try)

EDIT 0:

Adding new idea: Resident Evil NES overhaul in four steps.
Step 1: Fix the crash bug
Step 2: Translate it to english (perhaps based on PS1 script?)
Step 3: Fix the horrible battle system (the cursor could move slower when entering the "hit zone", specially for weak weapons like Knife or Bereta)
Step 4: Fix the map scrolling

EDIT 1:

ANOTHER new idea: A hack for RE Gaiden that changes how the battle works:
1) Instead of the aim constantly movilng left and right, you should be able to control the aim.
2) Instead of the screen just moving left and right, it only moves left or right when the aim goes all the way to one side
3) The aim should twitch depending on the weapon and twitch more often with better weapons.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:09:11 pm by Tsukiyomaru0 »

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 25, 2012, 09:13:59 am »
I don't have the patience to look through the 23 pages of this thread to see if someone else has said the same thing, but I've always wondered why games like Chip n' Dale and Duck Tales don't have anyone hacking the crap out of them and adding crazy hard levels and new graphics and stuff like people do for the Marios, Mega Mans and everything else.

Also, been playing Threads of Fate and have been wondering why there is no "Custom" setting. I've been trained by the SNES to want Y (square) as my attack button and B (X) as my jump button, and I cannot get this kind of setting in ToF... 4 modes for the controller and in all of them Jump is still on A (circle), wtf.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:21:10 am by WeebeeGeebee »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 25, 2012, 02:18:15 pm »
Idea regarding Metroid Fusion:
Remember how the Japanese Version allows you to choose between Kana text or Kanji? The idea would use this to change the Kanji Script into English (as well as to change the main menu choices to English from the beginning) and keep the Kana choice (Like in Super Metroid?)
Also, in addition, I was thinking of the possibility of going ASM and adding the item switch of Super Metroid/Metroid Zero Mission, adding an use to the Beta Room (A room above the docking bay that may not have a gate but is "still there" somehow). Maybe the use could be to get a "Beta Ice Beam" (Like SA-X's Ice Beam, but weaker) or "Hyper Beam" (Changes the current beam to flash in many colors and cause more damage). So it could be a secret boss that would only unlock after Ridley-X and give such power (maybe the boss for this room could be a SA-X armed with the Hyper Beam?).
In other changes, visuals. Wide could become Spazer Beam (Visually speaking). The sprite for Spazer would be recolored from SA-X's Ice Beam. Wave could return to its traditional purple tone and look more simple again. Plasma could get the appearance of a Green Spazer with lightning flashing in it.

Legend

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: March 06, 2012, 10:59:24 pm »
Some gameboy hacks would be nice.

Cavenoire: Add a new screen to the main menu or quest selection screen that keeps track of the players personal records/achievements. Something like total mosters killed, toughest monster killed, most gold collected, deepest level visited to and survived, etc. I think this would help add a little more replayability to the game after all the quests, which are more or less the same, are finished.

For the frog the bell tolls:
Add real time combat like Link's awakening. The game was fun but the automatic combat was kinda dull and made the final boss battle more like just watching a cinematic.

Link's Awakening:
Just new overworld and dungeons along the lines of Challenge: Outskirts. Maybe new story.

Final Fantasy Adventure:
Same as above.

Translations for DungeonLand and Dokapon: Millenium Quest.

Hack of GB Bionic Commando to add the overhead segments back into the game from the original nes version. Or a hack of the nes version to have the theme from the gb version.

Adventures of Link for NES:
Just new overworld and palaces that are not balls out hard like most other Zelda II hacks. Maybe new story. Also that keeps last selected magic so you don't have to go through the selection menu every time. I think one hack implemented this already.

Simon's Quest:

New levels and maybe enemies. New puzzles and hints that make sense. Quicker night/day transition.

Maybe the same treatment for Crystalis.

A hack of Deadly Towers to make it look better and play much better. It's a game that seems like it has potential, but is too frustrating to be fun.

A hack of Power Blazer that lets you shoot in all directions like it's American counterpart, Power Blade.

A Castlevania/Castlevania III hack that lets you whip in all/more directions like up and down.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:02:54 am by Legend »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 17, 2012, 12:50:36 pm »
(...)
Hack of GB Bionic Commando to add the overhead segments back into the game from the original nes version. Or a hack of the nes version to have the theme from the gb version.
(...)
A Castlevania/Castlevania III hack that lets you whip in all/more directions like up and down.
I'm not sure about that one... But I wish Bionic Commando Rearmed (J2ME game) had exploding Hitler's head. Shame it doesn't.

Not sure if that is possible, but that + minor air maneuvering would be very nice.

In addition to GB/GBC ideas: Some reworking in Metal Gear Solid GB would be nice.
I - A hack that changes the title screen to Japan's "Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel". This should be simple enough.
II - Something to make the Radar better. As in: show FOV of enemies and instead of Snake being a 2x2 square in the radar, have it be a simple white dot or a hollowed 3x3 "+". This should be more difficult.
III - Addition of some Metal Gear Solid PSOne gimmicks and items. For example: Addition of Otacamo Stealth, Bandana, Stinger and PSG-1. Also, addition of "New Game +" that allows you to start with some bonuses (5-7 with Suppressor for completing on Easy. Stealth, for completing on Normal. PSG-1 for completing on Hard. Bandana for completing on Extreme/Very Hard)
III-1 - Otacamo Stealth could make Alert and Evasion untriggerable. Perhaps have it always set to "normal" whenever Alert or Evasion is triggered while you have this.
III-2 - Bandana should simply prevent overall ammo usage but not set the ammo to max.
III-3 - Stinger should just fire a fast missile in a straight line OR use seeking dynamics (Seeks target that entered the line of fire the moment you fire).
III-4 - PSG-1 could pan the screen in the direction Snake is looking while you hold the fire button and fire when you let go, also being OHKO on common enemies.
IV - An Easter Egg frequency addition maybe it could be called "Pime Taradox" for fun. Calling said frequency while fighting a boss would prompt a conversation with the bosses from MGS for PSOne.
IV-1 - During Slasher Hawk, each time you called this frequency, Revolver Ocelot should appear and blurt out a random in-battle quote ("I LOVE to reload in the battle!").
IV-2 - During Marionette Owl, the first time you call this frequency, Psycho Mantis should come in and "read your memory", giving a comment on how long you took to get there, how many times you have been found, enemies killed and rations used ("You are either very cautious, or you are a COWARD!")
IV-3 - Even though it is not a Boss Battle, running from the artillery through the minefield would cause Sniper Wolf to come in and use some of her quotes.
IV-4 - Against Pyro Bison, you'd get Vulcan Raven's quotes.
IV-5 - Black Arts Viper? Master Miller's quotes.
IV-6 - Metal Gear GANDER? Samples of dialogue used by Grey Fox and Liquid Snake in the "intermission" between Metal Gear REX phase 1 and 2
IV-7 - Black Arts Viper finalle? Liquid Snake's quotes.

gadesx

• View Profile
    • Gadesx scene
« Reply #347 on: March 19, 2012, 08:04:22 am »
Change the music of street fighter alpha 3 max of psp for the arrange music of SFA2, and SF HD for other charas will be epic  8)
But its impossible! lol

netnan

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 19, 2012, 10:09:34 am »
I think that with hacking, it would not be enough to have the vision.  There are different ways to skin a cat and we could always use another type of approach to this.

It would actually be great to couple up with one of the more active minds in the discipline.  Or, you could write some more approaches to publish for some people to implement on.

Valkyrie_Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 27, 2012, 09:18:08 am »
Some/all of these may or may not be doable, but here is my list:

1) Make Vampire Hunter/Night Warriors for Sega Saturn use the RAM cartridge so that all animation frames can be utilized in non-same character matches (there is a hidden menu in the game that enables full animation in same character matches, so I know that the frames are on the disc).

2) Make X-Men: COTA for Sega Saturn use the RAM cartridge so that all character animation frames can be utilized during actual gameplay (it always seemed to me like the attract mode for the game used all of the frames, but once you actually started a game the animation became more stilted).

3) Make Metal Slug for Sega Saturn use the 4MB RAM cartridge so that the game doesn't suffer from the horrendous slowdown that bogs it down in places (I don't know if this is even possible at all, more RAM may not be able to correct the issue as it might be processor speed related).

4) Import the English subtitles from the US release of Shenmue for Sega Dreamcast into the Japanese game, or the Japanese dialogue from the Japanese release into the US game, whichever is easier.

As I said, some of these may be just short of impossible, but I figured that they'd be worth listing here anyway.

Gary_Oak

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 31, 2012, 08:10:33 am »
One thing I always wanted to play was a Dracula X (SNES) hack that would allow us to play the whole game as Maria Renard, complete with all of her movesets and abilities from the PC Engine Dracula X.

Cryomancer

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 09, 2012, 05:53:31 am »
Hack Little Nemo for NES to have new, less linear levels that allow you to use different suits to get through them in different ways, instead of "use this one to advance or else".
weird video game comic translations:
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/

crystalix

« Reply #352 on: April 09, 2012, 09:23:41 pm »
I thought about hack to Chrono Cross, but I don't know if this is possible.

Sprigg have skill "Doppelgang" and he can change himself in others characters, and I thinking about hack which would allow start battle already turned into Dario or Garai, without using this skill.

PS.
Sorry for my English.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 12, 2012, 10:01:59 pm »
Someone should hack Super Mario Bros. to make it play itself... :happy:

dyson132

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 19, 2012, 11:59:12 am »
Hey I know I'm new but I have a "nice idea" that is already working but I'm not sure if by hacking you guys only mean sprites and palettes.
I'm currently doing this and it could turn out huge! :P
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,14298.0.html
It's a Star Fox Snes remake running on openGL with all the 3d models and game information tacken directly from the ROM.
Even if I don't manage to finish it it still would be an awesome hack! Get this, the ROM was NEVER encripted, all the information is there, it is just not your usual snes game which uses a lot of tricks to work the 3D.

It runs at more that 60fps but vimeo only allows me to show you 30 so... here is a video: https://vimeo.com/40384833
Correction, I think you CAN download the 60fps video, it should be a 13.5 meg AVI file.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:04:44 pm by dyson132 »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 20, 2012, 04:31:06 pm »
Several ideas are a go!
1) Dynasty Warrior Advance: Enemy Limit Extender.
- Basically, remove or extend the limit of how many enemies can be on screen in the "arena". I'd say from 5 to 10.
2) Castlevania Circle of the Moon
- Could use some modification. Either a constantly very slow health regeneration (slower than the Jupiter+Mandragora DSS combo one) or a boost in overall consumable items. If someone wants to take it to eleven, make some equipment have a certain DSS effect (like Shinning Armor absorb all damage types except for Dark, or Dark Armor absorb Dark,)
- Another it could have would be for Battle Arena. Removal of the magic drain, most likely. But, in compensation, this modification could have three versions: One just makes it so Magic isn't drained, other makes it so they are constantly poisoned, and the last makes it so they are down to one (Paper-thin).
- Fun idea: Make Mars+Thunderbird DSS combo much faster to hit and have him go "ATA!" everytime he attacks in that combo. Hokuto Hyakuretsu Ken!
3) Any 8-bit RPG
- Okami storyline in it. Just like FFVII is being "demade" here. (which, although not a very original concept, is one I like a lot)
- Persona 3 and/or 4.
4) Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
- Smarter AI. Nuff said.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 21, 2012, 02:03:22 pm »
2) Castlevania Circle of the Moon
- Could use some modification. Either a constantly very slow health regeneration (slower than the Jupiter+Mandragora DSS combo one) or a boost in overall consumable items. If someone wants to take it to eleven, make some equipment have a certain DSS effect (like Shinning Armor absorb all damage types except for Dark, or Dark Armor absorb Dark,)

Not for nothin' but why make this game any more easy than it already is?

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 21, 2012, 05:42:50 pm »
A "Link to the past" hack featuring the dungeons of Ocarina of Time in 2D  :) (And then, why not, more "Ocarina of Time" things)

Some things would probably need a few ajustements to be rendering in 2D but not a big deal (the longer part is to redo the maps in 2D on a sheet of paper, then redo them in "Hyrule Magic"  ;)

I always wanted to see how "Ocarina of Time" would be in 2D  :P
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:49:35 am by Hiei- »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 23, 2012, 12:32:55 pm »
Not for nothin' but why make this game any more easy than it already is?
It is not easy. Trust me, I played yesterday.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 23, 2012, 01:07:37 pm »
I've played the living snot out of that game and it suffers the same issues as all the metroidvanias.
The level up system ruins the challenge. But then again I'm an old school gamer so I tend to come from the perspective of Ninja Gaiden for NES style difficulty.