News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2425437 times)

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3360 on: October 14, 2016, 08:44:33 pm »
A variation on this Metal Storm translation: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1466/

The patch reverts the palettes back to the U.S. version. But there is some merit to the colour changes of the Japanese release... such as the Gunner having a colour scheme that matches the boxart.

If we can keep the translation of the patch and restore the colours of the Japanese release, that'd be ideal

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: October 15, 2016, 04:01:49 pm »
I've been fooling around with my previous idea of a Chrono Trigger: Ted Woolsey Uncensored idea (WIP name).  I'll be following about the same idea as it's FFVI counterpart.  I need to play through Doctor L's patch for research though.  I'm putting my notes in here in case time happens (though less modifications are needed, this will take a lot of it before you see me post in Personal Projects, after all) and someone else wants to see this happen.

-This will include the fixes explained in the minor text bugfix patch found here, and maybe the rocket bike bugfix (maybe I'll just make it compatible).  Credit will be given.  If I find or am told of any other grammar SNAFUs, I'll be addressing those as well.
-Uncensoring of course. Because of the map setup I'm pretty sure there are no signs to fool around with at least.  You'll not see any "poi."
-The infamous hint line will be restored.
-Elements will stay the same but tech/monster/item names will be updated to around the DS level when needed (the changes are fairly minor for the most part, so my footprint can be pretty small here and hopefully text limits won't even need to be dealt with), and by proxy from updating names the Wind Slash hint will be fixed.
-Frog will keep his accent, and the rest of 600 AD will not have one.  Will probably keep Fiendlord too, because I know that's a sticking point for a lot of you.
-Like it's counterpart, this will stick extremely true to the original SNES script.  It will follow the old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it."  However, I will be restoring things like Magus's more detailed lines.  And I'll probably be using DS lines here and there where things could be more clear.
-Don't expect postgame additions.  These were mostly crap anyway. :P

Trigger is a bit less in need of help than FFVI in general, but hopefully this comes up as something of worth.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 10:23:24 am by Chronosplit »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: October 15, 2016, 05:45:14 pm »
Tech and item names will be a problem. The names in the DS are much longer than the SNES. You'll have to cut names down or figure out a way to keep the menu pretty with the full names.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: October 15, 2016, 06:39:32 pm »
Tech and item names will be a problem. The names in the DS are much longer than the SNES. You'll have to cut names down or figure out a way to keep the menu pretty with the full names.
I've noticed this.  There are some times when I may have to keep something unaltered (only if they're similar enough or more correct in the original like Karate Gi, this happens a good bit in CT), use something different, or do some creative spacing.  For example I plan on keeping "2" instead of "II."  On the other hand some are actually shorter, Magus's Barrier for instance.

EDIT: I figure the best way to go about this would be another multi-pronged project; one will be an addendum to the grammar fix that does the more obvious errors (Wind Slash/Cleave/Frenzy, find this person fast, "cider and poi," etc.) and another will go more in-depth with updating/uncensoring.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 03:09:28 pm by Chronosplit »

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: October 16, 2016, 03:39:53 pm »
Here's an idea: A demake of the Megaman X sequels starting with X4 up to X8 in SNES style. If not, how about a playable Iris in the first 3 Megaman X games?

That would be AWESOME.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: October 17, 2016, 06:57:40 pm »
Replace Randi and Primm with Crono and Marle in Secret of Mana.

The Rooser

• View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: October 18, 2016, 02:00:25 pm »
So I'm looking around and there are a lot of level hacks for the Original NES Castlevania but not really any for Castlevania III? Do I have that right?

This guy looks to be working on a cool level hack, but is currently hitting a development wall.

I know reVamp has been around a while and Castlevania III is a popular game so it seems strange to me that there aren't any decent plain-old level hacks lying around.

Like, if I were to make my own levels and upload it, I'd be giving the community something it doesn't have? That doesn't sound right.

RandomHeretic

• View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: October 18, 2016, 08:37:09 pm »
Comment removed.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:33:46 am by RandomHeretic »

The Rooser

• View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: October 19, 2016, 01:41:59 pm »
There aren't any complete hacks of that nature, yet, that I've seen. Go for it.
Yeah, but maybe I should just let the Cadence of Agony and Vengeance on Hell guys do their thing. I was just surprised that "full level hack of Castlevania III" was seriously something that's never happened.

What I AM thinking about doing, but I'm practicing with some ASM hacks on Metroid first as a warm up, is performing a disassembly of Castlevania III and commenting it and so on. If that goes well that might lead to other projects and/or the ability to help out on currently running projects.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: October 19, 2016, 04:23:15 pm »
There aren't any complete hacks of that nature, yet, that I've seen. Go for it.

If the editors weren't so restrictive (and this goes for a lot of editors) then this probably wouldn't be the case. But instead, nearly every editor you find for these old games is barely finished and often times unreliable (look at Hyrule Magic, the only reason why there are not 10 ALttP hacks on the scale of Parallel Worlds).
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: October 19, 2016, 05:51:44 pm »
If the editors weren't so restrictive (and this goes for a lot of editors) then this probably wouldn't be the case. But instead, nearly every editor you find for these old games is barely finished and often times unreliable (look at Hyrule Magic, the only reason why there are not 10 ALttP hacks on the scale of Parallel Worlds).

I wish Hyrule Magic was a deal more reliable than what I hear, as I'd have taken a crack at some LTTP modding a good while back.  :-\

I ended up settling on taking a crack at Link's Awakening DX instead.  :D

On-topic: It'd be cool to take a platforming game like DKC, or some other game with two characters running around, and make an Angry Beavers game out of it.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: October 19, 2016, 07:23:24 pm »
I wish Hyrule Magic was a deal more reliable than what I hear, as I'd have taken a crack at some LTTP modding a good while back.  :-\

Yeah, the only truly reliable way to make a complete hack with this editor is to make 1,000,000,000 backups, build each dungeon in a different ROM and then later compile them into one ROM with a hex editor (which takes quite a bit of know how and dedication). It's also worth mentioning that some of HM's features will accomplish nothing but the destruction of your ROM.

On-topic...

Besides an improvement of the controls I'd like to see a hack of Bart vs the Space Mutants to make it Lisa vs the Space Mutants. Would be a good way to make one fo those gender hacks that doesn't have to rely on some made-up, non-canon character.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: October 20, 2016, 10:47:41 am »
A dificulty hack for SMRPG that:

--Generally leaves most of the games enemy stats alone and nerfs the heroes a bit, including level progression
--Lowers the amount of money available like water in that game--both in enemy drops and item sells.  I seriously forgot how often I would max out on cash
--Incorporates the elemental strength/weakness stuff from the decent difficulty hack on this very site, but expand it a bit so Geno isn't wrecking everything by himself and Mallow has some use
--Rebalance the hell out of Bowser.  He is generally useless outside of some status effect attacks that aren't particularly effective for the most part
--More useful effects for armor/accessories
--Maybe bump the attack scarf up from 30-50 jumps?

Now that I look at this, I think I just described a somewhat watered down version of the SMRPG hack here, but I'll stand behind it anyways.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: October 21, 2016, 01:59:45 am »
I had an idea for a sequel for FF6 in similar fashion to FF4 The After Years.
The opening of the story:
The fall of the Gestahlian Empire, the death of Kefka, the destruction of the Warring Triad... Those events were part of a prophecy shrouded in dark and light. Had I known of them beforehand, I would have taken such power for myself, I would have become the God they needed, but now is far too late. Thankfully the scars left by Kefka's destruction have been mostly healed, the green has spread through the lands, with all magic gone the monsters have faded into nothingness and a new empire had to be formed to maintain order...

It was to be believed all was well... Until that one day.

Monsters resurfaced near our home in Narshe, the city was evacuated before any causalities, thankfully. However I wonder: How will we defeat those monsters? My mother, Empress Terra, she who choose to watch over this reborn world, has only went me with a couple of guys to help me, both carrying some strange backpack and tools. As for me? All I have is a sword as strange...

Should be obvious by now, the new character is Terra's Daughter. She would start off with Attack, Magi Drain (acts like Runic) and Magitek Blade (which would act like a "SpellBlade", except it instantly attacks on the same turn). As for her helpers, they would be Biggs and Wedge, but not the same from Terra's past, but rather new ones. As such, Biggs and Wedge would have Magitek Gun (allows them to use Fire/Ice/Thunder Beam and Healing Force), Scan (analyzes the enemy). The first segment would be them going through Narshe, up to where Valigarmanda was when the heroes had to protect it from Kefka. There they will find Valigarmanda, who will be the boss fight. As a starting boss, Valigarmanda will mostly use physical attack, and use only fire, ice or thunder when at 1/3 of its health. Upon its defeat, the Esper Valigarmanda will turn into a jagged crystal, which Biggs will confirm to be a "Dying Esper" and that they must take it to the Magitek Laboratory to see if they can revive it.

In this idea, Magicites would not be equippable, because you would want to revive Espers. After reviving them, in gratitude (or debt) they will provide you with a Contract, which of course will have the same benefits equipping Espers had in FF6 (Magic Learning, Growth Modification, Summoning...)

There would be of course different characters to replace the cast of the original.

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: October 21, 2016, 08:25:43 am »
I've already asked before but Shinobi 3 needs a level re-design hack, towards the end the levels are extremely unbalanced and unfair, but if they're to get the treatment you might as well have a go at giving the other levels better layouts as well, maybe even add more interesting enemy variants too.

Another game that could use some improvement is Mouryou Senki Madara, maybe fix up some of the bugs/equipment dumping too, A Final Fantasy 12 style gambit system might be an excellent addition if possible though I don't know how well it would work.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 03:32:12 pm by SleepyFist »

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3375 on: October 21, 2016, 07:43:30 pm »
How about this for an idea? Gameboy Color Super Mario Land 1 & 2. I mean I don't remember if it was done before, but I would like to see the GBC sets for each character there. And while on the top of Mario, how about hacks of Rosalina or Peach in Mario Land 1 & 2

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: October 21, 2016, 11:17:09 pm »
How about this for an idea? Gameboy Color Super Mario Land 1 & 2.

I just checked. There are color hacks for 1 and 2 here on RHDN.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: October 22, 2016, 12:05:08 am »
I would like to see color hacks for these original Game Boy games:

Donkey Kong '94
Dr. Mario
Gargoyle's Quest
Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Dream Land 2
Mega Man V
Mole Mania
Tetris
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3

Remember a long ago when I wished for a Captain Commando arcade colors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzsHu5Kwx78

Someone tell him he can upload his patches in this site! He's also working on SSF2 and King of the Monsters enhanced colors.

That looks really impressive.

That's really cool that he's making color hacks for several of Capcom's SNES games to make them look more like their arcade counterparts, I'm really looking forward to his color hack for Street Fighter II Turbo.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 12:36:02 am by SCD »

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: October 22, 2016, 01:04:03 am »
I just checked. There are color hacks for 1 and 2 here on RHDN.

Ah, that makes sense. Sorry I didn't notice earlier with me still struggling on translations and such.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #3379 on: October 22, 2016, 06:29:47 am »
Stuff I'd like to do/try out for a Zelda II hack:
-Fix the attack cancel when jumping and landing - sword attack is canceled if you attack right before landing or jump right after attacking
-Less limited text and faster text drawing (press A or B to manually display a whole box/paragraph at once), all text skippable (sages/old men and river guard aren't)
-No recoil from hitting enemies nor regular blocks (a special block acts like the bouncy ones in Zelda 3 instead)
-No need to stab any items to pick them up
-Make random encounter sprites move a bit slower
-Slightly longer reach after power glove (turn it into a new sword instead?) or from the get go
-Make the sleeping blob wake up and give the Bagu clue on the second try instead of the fourth
-Sword beam damages everything but heavily armored enemies
-No need to re-select a spell when entering a new room or after using it once
-Remove the low HP beep after 2-3 beeps
-Lessened or removed exp loss after a game over
-Make dog heads respawn or shoot at a slower rate
-Make the boots prevent you from drowning in side view segments - slowly sink?
-Timer-based spells that can be turned off at will
-Make NPCs stop moving while you're in dialogue
-Make the snakes more interesting - 5 second poison or slow effect?
-Spell spell on world map (b+a or select?) - Detects walkable water and/or set encounter tiles and/or hidden paths until you enter an area
-Charge attack
-Larger island palace/palace 3 boss
-Start from the previously used inn/HP or MP refill after game over in the overworld
-Make NPCs not close doors after entering their houses
-Change the blocking sfx
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.